No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an abstinence thread, MaloDrama, so go somewhere else if it's not for you. Please.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Mal - I feel welcome here and I am currently figuring out if I'm able to moderate or not . . . why don't you join us in the mods thread if that is what is important to you? Plenty of room and that is the thread we are figuring that stuff out for ourselves. It is:

"I don't want to be totally AF......"

These threads on here do not have to be the same because we are not the same. See you over there - AG

Comment

It is a beautiful day to be sober in Central Florida. I was passing a brewpub at the end of my street yesterday and reflected on how I just have no desire to drink anymore. I do attend AA and practice the steps, but I am not so in to it that I would say "God lifted my compulsion." I lead kayak trips on the side and thought about something that happened several years ago when I was still in the throes of active addiction to both alcohol and prescription drugs. We had paddled a lake just outside downtown Orlando and went across the street to an open air bar. I had a beer and ordered a second one. I asked my boss if he was going to have a second and he declined saying, "There's no worse feeling in the world than being trashed." Of course I immediately wondered what planet he was on. But every time the thought of a cold frosty one comes up, I am quickly reminded of the sweaty lethargy that inevitably follows and that's the end of that.

Originally posted by MalODrama
        I see three have relapsed in the last three days your lecturing about plans is useless.. guys there are other ways its not hopeless!!!
        I'm not going to get on my soapbox because you'll undoubtedly just say I'm a brainwashed cult member. All I can do is share my own "experience, strength and hope." I will say that having a plan is critical, which is why when I tried to quit on my own, it never worked. I actually go to SMART meetings as well as AA and find that most people who pooh-pooh AA and wax eloquently about SMART have never actually been to a SMART meeting. And this is just my opinion, but if you're averse to AA, you're not going to be receptive to SMART either because both suggest you follow some guidelines to stay sober other than just not drinking and if there's one thing we alcoholics are terrible at, it's taking direction.
        First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

I think a good point was made in saying that this is "MY way out" and that's what we do here, like AG pointed out there is a section for people who want to moderate,use meds,etc,when people first come to the nest they're usually, desperate,depressed and looking for help,same as when people relapse,Byrdie and Lav tell it like it is and helps drill it into our heads that it doesn't HAVE to be like that,we have the ability to make changes if that's what we choose,nobody's giving up on anybody,I've been here for years with the same old song and dance and nobody has given up on me,maybe got exasperated with it all but were still there to give me guidance and help with a plan,don't dis my Byrdie,Lav or the nest,it bugs me,have a great day everyone
          Last edited by paulywogg; March 2, 2016, 10:19 AM.
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hello all, can I suggest we just ignore MalODrama and the negativity he is bringing to this thread? From the tone of his posts, I would bet he is wasted and I am not even a gambling man (one of the few vices I didn't have). And if he isn't, just keep in mind "some are sicker than others." Difficult at times, but just remember he is "getting off" on eliciting negative responses, so don't feed the dragon.

4297536.jpg
            First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Morning all! Once again I craved a drink last night, and once again I woke up SO glad I didn't! I have a lot to do today, and I will have the energy to do it. Bananas are on the menu today ELOISE! And there are 7 days left in the diet ACTION. Last night I broke it and had a bite of chocolate. It helped me a lot. YES - food before alcohol.

Hope everyone has a productive, positive and strong day!!
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                YES - food before alcohol.
                Haha yes, I've compiled over the past few months (posted in "Laughing Out Loud") a list of "You Might Be an Alcoholic Ifs…" One of them is that you don't eat for days and can survive only on alcohol.

Comment

Malodrama can suck my left nut

=D

Comment

I'm sorry aihfl but I have to...

Malodrama can suck my left nut

=D

Comment

Nesters, Just like there's no color without the eye or sound without the ear, there's no troll if there are no responders (or better yet, readers - the Ignore option is a good one). Don't let anyone get you off the track you're on. Have a great day! NS

Comment

Hi all, just stepping in...

Comment

Good day fam,

Another sunny day here in my new state of residence and all is well. I can already tell this was a good decision for me and my sobriety. The AL brain wishes I could be a moderate drinker but the REAL brain says "look at your past, one is never enough, its all or nothing", with that being said I am a non-drinker. Cudos to those who can moderate! I have been there, done that and got multiple trips to the ER with bills for a t-shirt due to withdrawls. If you have physical side effects when you stop consuming anything, it is killing you, and that is what AL was doing to me.

Mal - despite probably feeding your ego, we here are happy with not drinking. If you choose to mod great, there is a thread for you. Yes I was one of the ones who relapsed and because of the "nest" and their acceptance, I was able to get right back on track. I have talked with my family and cooked a table meal as you call it. I do this everynight and you know what the discussion is? Mom or honey have you checked into the nest today? How is everyone doing? If I haven't they want to know why not? You see this is what works for us. NO it is not for everyone but it is for us. Obviously something here worked for my mentors Lav and Byrdie or they would not still be here helping other people like me. And whatever it takes for me to beat this I am willing to do it. If it means being attached to a computer on this site.......that is much better than being in an early grave.

Hope everyone has a blessed day,
                          JDG

PS aihfl but I had to speak my peace.
                          Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Originally posted by JackDanielsGirl View Post
                            PS aihfl but I had to speak my peace.
                            Yes, but you did not respond in kind. I've dealt with these types that occasionally show up to crash AA meetings and try my best to defuse these situations when I see them. When people in active addiction behave badly at meetings and others respond in kind, it often cements in the alcoholic's/addict's mind that "everyone in AA is an asshole," and may prevent them from seeking the help they so badly need.

I also witnessed a recent incident where a member of a mostly agnostic/atheist AA meeting came to another meeting to "get the word around." I actually attend the agnostic/atheist meeting because of my Jewish background, I appreciate there is zero talk of religion and the meeting does not close with the Lord's Prayer. However this other person was offended that someone threw the agnostic/atheist meeting poster into the trash and found a bible somewhere and held a lighter up to it. Again, all this does is reinforce the notion that those of us who attend the agnostic/atheist meeting are all a bunch of assholes who's sobriety is inferior to theirs, and does nothing to reinforce the idea that there are as many different ways to sobriety as there are people.

And as for Mal, looking back over his posts in hindsight, I think he is most likely a punk kid. He's probably at school standing around in the hallway with his equally immature buddies laughing at everyone he manages to get a rise out of. At least I hope that's the case. Otherwise, he is a very sick individual.

By the way, I was on this site previously as "Alky" from about 2012. I didn't know whether to go public with that or not until I got a PM from NS. Alky was a sick person. He was self-righteous, condescending, dogmatic and very much in the throes of active addiction. I was in a sense relieved when I saw that account was deleted so I can start from scratch. With extended sobriety comes greater peace of mind and a willingness to just accept things as they are.

Comment

By the way, I was on this site previously as "Alky" from about 2012. I didn't know whether to go public with that or not until I got a PM from NS. Alky was a sick person. He was self-righteous, condescending, dogmatic and very much in the throes of active addiction. I was in a sense relieved when I saw that account was deleted so I can start from scratch. With extended sobriety comes greater peace of mind and a willingness to just accept things as they are.
                              Welcome back! Knowing who you "really" are makes your current confidence and outlook doubly impressive! Sometimes it seems like we'll never change but you're showing us how much we can be transformed when we quit poisoning ourselves every day. Alky didn't usually hang out in the nest but I hope aihfl (not sure what that means but I like it better than Alky :smile does - it's a great place to give and get the support we need to lead the lives we want and deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                                aihfl (not sure what that means but I like it better than Alky :smile
                                It's my initials and the state I live in.

Comment

Working...
                                X