No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's taken years, Kensho but my husband and adult kids (and their spouses) eat a real/whole-food, low/no sugar, low/no gluten-grain diet. Part of that is because I was (and still am) the main cook and I only cook what I want to eat for dinner (everyone has always been on their own for other meals) but I think they all at some point realized they feel better without many of the usual components of the standard American diet. So now that they're off on their own, our kids and their families eat much like they do. Just like with AL, everyone has to figure it out for themselves. We can just encourage them to try life with or without various foods or beverages and see how they feel.

Here's an interesting post from the blog I've been all fired up about lately: http://www.hipsobriety.com/home/2015...y?rq=nutrition

This one talks about consuming too much sugar after quitting drinking (or, as in my case, the reverse):
    Last edited by NoSugar; March 13, 2016, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters!

I had a calm & quiet day for a change, ha ha!!!
      No visors = no cooking ~ I could get used to this

j-vo, I've never heard of a purse bash either - do tell!

JDG, glad to hear you are settling in!

Kensho, dairy turned out to be a big problem for me. I miss certain things (ice cream & cheese) but feel so much better going without. As a matter of fact finding anything agreeable these days is a full time job, LOL
      Glad your husband is learning too

Hello to Byrdiem G, NTQ, Pav & everyone.
      Wishing a safe & comfy night in the nest for all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Monday morning.

Kensho, the purse bash is a fundraiser. They had several purses to win including coach bags, Michael Kors, and others. There were vendors selling stuff, Chinese auctions and food. My girlfriend won a beautiful Michael Kors purse. It's beautiful.

Getting ready for a long day. Hope everyone has a good one.
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Good Monday morning Nesters,

It's a rainy one here in my portion of the nest, better than snow

Nice that your friend won one j-vo! Sounds like an interesting way to raise funds for a worthy cause!

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

J-Vo. I never win anything. We had a raffle at a sales conference...there were 24 people there, and I had 6 chances to win a beautiful leather case....but alas. I am about the lease lucky person I know. NOTHING falls in my lap. I'd love to win a MK bag! Or a Coach purse!!! I did find a dollar one time on the street back in the 90's.

Kensho, I've got a seat waiting for you over in the 100 Day thread!!! This is a big milestone for you! We are very proud of your decision to kick AL to the curb! There is so much growth that happens that first year (as you know), you're mental age is catching up to your chronological age. You will wonder WHY the heck you resisted quitting for so long! You will see just how destructive drinking is. You will be baffled at how strongly you fought this! I know I am. AL is so powerful! I stay vigilant because (as someone posted, maybe Dutch?) I know it's out in the parking lot doing push ups, just waiting!!

Where is Up/Over? Over-it?
            Everyone check in with us and let us know you are ok! When it's slow here, resist the urge NOT to post. Posts begat posts!!! You never know when something you write is going to help someone over a rough edge.

Happy Pi Day!!! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Ok then. This post may well begat a post which in turn may begat another, for no other reason than the big smile on me dial for all to see. :hugesmile:

Have a bewdy out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning all,

Just another Monday not a reason in the world to allow AL back in my life. How bout you?

Have a great day,
                JDG
                Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                  Ok then. This post may well begat a post which in turn may begat another, for no other reason than the big smile on me dial for all to see. :hugesmile:

Have a bewdy out there.
                  I will try, Mr. G.!

When I joined (~ p 3060 of the NN) this place was hopping! There would be 4 or 5 pages of posts almost every day, with an ongoing conversation about our goals, concerns, and outright fears. It was really helpful to me to essentially be immersed in "quitting". I asked a lot of questions and sometimes opened up about how miserable I was and asked for help.

I occasionally see people make it by simply checking in on roll-call daily or into the NN every day or so and am always amazed at their success. However, I've also noticed that those are the exceptions, not the rules. As I looked back to find my "early days", I saw so many names of people who dabbled in quitting. Most are no longer around MWO.

Many of us who have some AF time have a lot to say (perhaps more than you want to hear but some of which probably would be helpful to someone) but I for one am reluctant to come on here with a big Post of My Opinions . Most of us are very eager to respond to questions or to offer support. (There used to be a couple classic Byrdie posts every day :smile:!!).

I guess my point is to encourage anyone at any stage to speak up and ask for what you need. You'll be helping others as you help yourself, including the people who are given the opportunity to respond to you, which enables them to organize their thoughts and essentially re-commit to the AF life they've chosen.

All the best to all of us, NS

Comment

I've created my toolbox which includes posting. Also, meditation is a new tool. I've been avoiding for years. I don't know what was up with self sabotage but I can see it now and I'm really sick of the current dialogue in my mind. There is work to do and I'm looking forward to it. We have to remember who we are and at the same time ditch the bad habits we picked up the way. Quitting alcohol requires work but work that works for me, it can be as unique as I am, I don't have to take on a label with all its baggage. Not being able to drink is normal when you consider that you are saying I can no longer drink rocket fuel. I have not hit bottom I have hit my limit. Our culture pushes this stuff on us. But no need for anger or shame just a goal to catch up emotionally to my actual age. This is an honorable goal and I'm ready to work. Thanks

Comment

Gooood morning, all. Thanks for being here. Just gotta get through this day, right? I'm on it.
                      Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                      Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

In response to NS, I'm having some issues lately, very anxious feelings, sad, and yes, it has lots to do with my mom. I found out she will be here for graduation, but not the ceremony. I also found out that she is using breathing machine which is new. I just don't think we have that much longer and I don't know how long. Dad sounds stressed on the phone and I don't like it. I've been working out but I need to do something more as I won't see them until next week, but I'm also afraid when I see them. I'm starting to focus on sons grad party stuff. So I guess anything I can get my head into minus a bottle will be good for now.
                        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Fin, absolutely one day at a time is how we make it.

j-vo - Yes stay busy in what ever you can without AL involved, talk, talk, and talk some more. I found if I could talk or journal my feelings it was a great relief. My heart goes to you. Congrats on upcoming graduation, I know you are proud.
                          JDG
                          Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Taking good care of yourself is really important at the beginning, like you Fin and T2Q, or in times of extra stress like you're going through, J-vo. When we're feeling bad, it is totally normal to do whatever we can to feel better. There's only so much stress and discomfort a person can take, especially when we know how to easily self-medicate. Giving yourself little breaks throughout the day can help so you're not a wreck by the evening witching hour. I always drank on an empty stomach and so had to stop subjecting myself to the huge stress of food restriction. Eating well, taking brief walks, 5 minute meditations, time petting a dog - do anything that makes you feel good, calm, or content. A person who feels fine and is at peace doesn't need something else to feel better.

Comment

Fin- I'm following your progress and keeping my fingers crossed for you. I know you can do it. Set a goal for 30 days and hang tough!!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I love checking in with everyone, just feels like a normal part of my daily routine after all this time.
                                I may have nothing special to say or maybe I can say something that may help someone along. Either way, I still like to check in.

j-vo, we are all here to offer support in any way we can. I remember how awful my Mom's last year was, I did everything I could but still felt helpless. She will be gone 30 years this coming September, I still miss her :hug:
                                I tried to focus on my kids, my son was just starting Kindergarten that year. Keep your focus on your son, he still needs you.

NS, switching from self-medicating mode to real self-care mode helps us to break old patterns. Looking back I see I had gotten very selfish & didn't care much about anything. I am forever grateful to be back to the old me but also a wiser me

Greetings to everyone & sending wishes for a safe & peaceful night in the nest for all!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X