• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No drama on the new site, just helpful information
    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Hey you sound really positive aihfl!
      It is not an easy road, huh? I often wonder why we couldn't have just learnt more of life's lessons the easy way? Me too, by the way!
      Definitely me too. After growing up in a family of alcoholics, both sides, why did it not seem obviously that I should simply never drink?
      Because I didn't have trouble from the beginning? Because it took years to develop into a problem? Because everyone in my family drank and that is how it was?

Anyway, better late than never. For sure. Love reading about how you are pushing forward, onward and upward!!

I will not be participating in the new site, I barely have enough time to poke around here to be honest.
      I am also a fan of the ignore option, handy tool.
      Last edited by Eloise; April 8, 2016, 12:35 PM.
      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise View Post
        Hey you sound really positive aihfl!
        It is not an easy road, huh? I often wonder why we couldn't have just learnt more of life's lessons the easy way? Me too, by the way!
        Definitely me too. After growing up in a family of alcoholics, both sides, why did it not seem obviously that I should simply never drink?
        Because I didn't have trouble from the beginning? Because it took years to develop into a problem? Because everyone in my family drank and that is how it was?
        Yep Eloise, I can relate. I've been a binge drinker since I was 17 (I'm 42 now), but I started to drink daily around 2008 and things really took a turn for the worst around 2009 when I was let go from a job. My mother tried to warn me not to go down that road because my father was an alcoholic (he was sober for most of his life and was able to drink in moderation after retirement) and most of his siblings share the same story as mine - jails and institutions. I've been in a detox facility or psych hospital NINE times, most of the time involuntarily, and although I managed never to get a DUI (shocking, in hindsight) I've been to jail twice for other alcohol related antics. My mother's father was an abusive alcoholic as is two of her brothers. I destroyed myself professionally, wrecked my finances, a marriage and a wonderful post-marriage relationship. I am just glad that I am still alive and am typing this post because for some, "rock bottom" is prison or death.
        First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Just coming up for air...a late check in for me.

Mtess, are you Tess from about 4 years ago? Welcome back!
          Steady Hands, I remember you! I am in the same boat as you! At the time, I resented my husband for giving me that ultimatum, but in retrospect, he saved my life. I'm so glad you are DONE.

Hope everyone has a great weekend...Friday is just another day, not a ticket to BoozeVille! Hugs and strength to all, Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Booze just gits a free spirit into a lot of trouble eventually!

Yo Nesters near and not so far. Saturday morning here, and i can tell you the world is still revolving. And i am enjoying the ride with my new found freedom.

Now nesters, the weekend aint no ticket to no boozeville see?

Have a bewdy.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Lots of spirited conversations going on here I see
              When it comes to trolls, I prefer to ignore them, they go away when you don't engage them.
              New websites popping up to offer a supportive community is great. Go where you are comfortable & remain drama free.

Otter, aih, El, G, you sound good! Make it a great weekend!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest.

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Doesn't matter now aihfl, just pick yourself up and carry on.
                Make drinking part of your past. It is amazing at how quickly we can make it our past. It does take a while though to really feel like 'hey, I made the right decision.'
                I admit I had to give it my undivided attention for a quite a while. I started new routines and rituals for myself and that has helped a lot.
                You are doing the right thing and hopefully with more sober time you will start to feel more pride in yourself and fewer regrets. I think you will.
                (Key is not to create new regrets by continuing to drink!!).

Originally posted by aihfl View Post
                Yep Eloise, I can relate. I've been a binge drinker since I was 17 (I'm 42 now), but I started to drink daily around 2008 and things really took a turn for the worst around 2009 when I was let go from a job. My mother tried to warn me not to go down that road because my father was an alcoholic (he was sober for most of his life and was able to drink in moderation after retirement) and most of his siblings share the same story as mine - jails and institutions. I've been in a detox facility or psych hospital NINE times, most of the time involuntarily, and although I managed never to get a DUI (shocking, in hindsight) I've been to jail twice for other alcohol related antics. My mother's father was an abusive alcoholic as is two of her brothers. I destroyed myself professionally, wrecked my finances, a marriage and a wonderful post-marriage relationship. I am just glad that I am still alive and am typing this post because for some, "rock bottom" is prison or death.

Comment

Morning Nesters!

Lavande- old friend, thank you for all your positive words.
                  Byrdlady- remember you too!! And parts of your story coming back to me.
                  Guitarista- interacted with you a little a few years ago.
                  Eloise- you talk sense!
                  Aihfl- your post reminds me of this journey we have with alcohol.

When I think of all my relationship problems with friends, family, intimate partners, coworkers... It is basically because I am an angry, withdrawing drunk during the day and a silly/ intense/ emotional/ daring/ stupid drunk at night.

My last quit on this site was very emotional and educative. This time it feels more logical?

Going to plant my vegetable and herb garden today. Didn't get to it last weekend, because I started 10am with a beer to make it a buzzy experience. Then lost track of time and forgot to eat and got smelled at work on monday... Logical, ne?

Have a great sober day!

Comment

Yeah, good to post about these things Justme Again- don't give up until you get it right and forget about being perfect. It doesn't matter anyway.
                    I have also done the drunk gardening thing.. haha.. omg! Drunk gardening on volcanic rock. True, true!

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Saturday to all!

No gardening for me today. Rain & possibly a bit of snow on the menu here today - oh well.

Wishing everyone a wonderful & productive AF day! Plan to succeed, right?

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for the warm, supportive welcome earlier this week! Much appreciated! I'm a mom of 2 wonderful boys who has been drinking too long & too much. I've been able to stop for a few days here & there, sometimes even for 30 days at a time. I hide bottles, I've damaged relationships, drunk dialed/texted, gone to work hungover, the whole thing!! Nothing particularly dramatic happened to make me quit, but I really am just tired of it. On weekends, I start in the morning (I can relate to drunk gardening too!!). I've justified my drinking by watching "Intervention" and seeing how bad "those" people are....after all I have a professional job, maintain the house well and have kids involved in numerous activities. A few weeks ago, I was running errands and saw a police pull a man over, make him get out to arrest him. I then see the police take his child out of the car and walk around the building so he doesn't see his father being arrested. While I don't know circumstances exactly, I guess it sunk in that that could have been me - I've driven buzzed with my children many times, which I know is terrible.

Anyway, yes, I am a runner and am training for my first marathon this fall - Fin, any words of wisdom much appreciated. I'm so impressed, it sounds like you have quite a few under your belt. The name is two fold, I really want this time to be for the long haul, not just a "sprint" of a few days. No Sugar, ironic that I drink a ton, because I otherwise try to live my life in a healthy way with regards to diet and exercise, including avoiding sugar, gluten and dairy. I've read a few things related to diet and addiction - very interesting and something I intend to explore further. I do struggle with anxiety and mild depression, and it sounds like diet & vitamin/mineral supplements can impact those as well.

Just Me, hang in there. I've been there, just by the grace of god, nobody has gotten close enough to me a work to smell the wine that I know is emanating from my pores after I've over done it the night before. I use allergies/sinus infection to explain my red, bloodshot eyes & generally drunken look the day after - Ugh!! Hoping all goes well for you.

Have a great Saturday!

Comment

I succeeded running some narrow hilly bush trails today Lav.

xpost Marathon. Gr8 stuff on the running AND your AF time. Throw some hills in there to spice up your training.

IMG_01241 Fingal beach vic 9416.jpg IMG_01221 Fingal-cape schank.jpg

IMG_01171 Fingal beach track 2016.jpg
                          Last edited by Guitarista; April 9, 2016, 07:38 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Holy crap, G-man, what beautiful scenery!!! You are a lucky bloke to have such a backdrop to groove to!!!

Thank you all for sharing your stories. The trail of destruction that AL leaves is mind-boggling. Here's the good news, from this day forward it doesnt have to take anything else from us!! Getting time and distance from AL is the key. Do whatever it takes to get thru this day drug and AF!!!

Stick with us, staying accountable has been the key for me. So far, so good! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

G man, wow, the ocean, forest and cliffs, just beautiful. I love the PNW because of mountains, ocean and forest, but a lot of rain. I can see Mt. Baker from my window and that's a treat.

Thanks for sharing that.
                              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Checking in and all is well. Baseball season is in full swing so we are wheels off busy. 3 kids, 3 different age groups and teams....
                                Hoping to rag back and get caught up, welcome to our newer members!

Stay Hard mi Familia!
                                AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Working...
                                X