No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here. Lots of great posts. Will comment more tomorrow. Home from our AZ trip... Talk about toxic situations. So glad to be home!

Dutch, congrats. What will be will be, no?

Marathon, your post reminds me of myself! Good thoughts with you tonight.

PAV & G, your nature healing makes me long for it... It's been too long since I've been immersed in the woods. Miss it!

Proud of all the work happening here. Being sober is worth it!
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good Monday morning Nesters,

Yes, there is such a thing, ha ha!!
      Every day is much easier without AL, trust me

Congrats to you Dutch, such great news
      Stay positive & stick with us.

G, believe me I am one grateful badass granny, LOL

aih, glad you got through yesterday unharmed. I have made a lot of progress in learning to not over worry certain situations. There's a lot to be said for mindfulness & staying present

Welcome back Kensho. Vacation survival is a good thing!

Wishing everyone a great AF day!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

DUTCH!!! I am so happy for you!!! Congratulations! I know this has been ONE EMOTIONAL rollercoaster year! Being sober to maximize your time here on Earth is the best way to ride it out! A December baby???? Sweeeeet!

Welcome home, Kensho! Glad to hear that vacations are survivable! This is the longest one I will have taken since 2001! I will be out of work one day shy of two weeks. IM NERVOUS about it, but I know it will all be here when I get back. I watched a Dr Phil on stress Sunday morning. I'm not the biggest Dr Phil fan (since he is so commercialized now) but he made some really good points. All the stuff we are working for doesn't mean squat if we don't enjoy it. Stress effects our health (as we know). He said to stop trying to CONTROL everything (which is exactly what I do). I am going to put his words into action! Stress sucks!

G, I have NOT been to Ireland before. I can't wait! Eloise just urged me to purge my suitcase of nonessentials so I could stock up on yarn! (so I did!!!) Looking forward to it, AND I am planning to meet Mick, possibly Daisy, JackieClaire and Mollyka and some of the army folks!! We are there on a school night so it's hard for folks to break away. I just can't wait!

Hope everyone has a great Monday! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good morning everyone! It's back to the salt mines for me today, but I have plans to go sailing off St. Augustine (the nation's oldest city, founded 1565) this upcoming Saturday so I have something to look forward to all week. Virginia issued license plates to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the founding of the Jamestown colony and I was disappointed that political correctness quashed the issue of a plate commemorating Florida's quincentennial a few years back. Ponce de Leon "discovered" Florida in 1513 while searching for the Fountain of Youth but all he found were smelly sulphur springs, lol.

My psychiatrist bumped my appointment up to today, which is great, but he will be HOURS behind by the time I get there at 6:15. So I'll probably see him around 8. I can't go later knowing he's going to be late because he's on the second floor and once the office closes, they shut down the elevator and there are no accessible stairs.

Anyway, hope everyone has a great Monday!
          First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Back licking my wounds after an extremely stressful weekend. My daughter has brought so much conflict into our home it's ruining my marriage and pretty much everything else. I know it's a phase. I know it's not helpful to medicate through it. That's not the answer. I will not give up this fight! Just do it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
            Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
            Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

I am committing to a 30 day AF period. I need to set a time because just saying I'm quitting doesn't seem to be working. I quit for a few days and then I am back at it. I feel if I can get a good amount of time away from alcohol again, I can make a better commitment. I am willing to try. My plan is to check in here every day and report how my 30 days is progressing. Today is Day 1.
              Ican

Comment

Hi Nesters

Liked reading what you are all doing tonight.

Day 5 was less fun. Didn't sleep much last night. Very tired, but I am eating again!! Great feeling more normal.

Stay strong.
                Will check in tomorrow. X

Comment

On day 3 today. Ended up buying 2 bottles on Friday with the intention of drinking. I went out for a meal and had 1 glass of wine, came home and didn't drink.
                  Next day, poured the wine out but that 1 glass brought me back to day 1.
                  I've started a little project to help me along.....painting stones from the beach. On number 3 tonight.......
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Hi, Ican

That sounds like an excellent plan. After 30 days, most of the physical effects will have worn off and you'll be able to evaluate your situation more clearly. Its almost impossible for the rational brain to think while the reptile brain is having a temper tantrum!!

I found that I had to be here more than once per day at the beginning. I read in the mornings, sort of to get my head in the right place for the day to come. Then I popped in a couple times for refreshers and around 4 pm, I got on here and stayed here, reading and posting. Some people do ok just checking in once a day and posting on roll call but I sure needed more attention than that. I hope you find what works best for you.

Take good care of yourself, NS

PS How are your 5 children doing? As a mother of 2 (grown) children, your group amazes me!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ican View Post
                      I am committing to a 30 day AF period. I need to set a time because just saying I'm quitting doesn't seem to be working. I quit for a few days and then I am back at it. I feel if I can get a good amount of time away from alcohol again, I can make a better commitment. I am willing to try. My plan is to check in here every day and report how my 30 days is progressing. Today is Day 1.
                      Ican
                      That is a great idea. Saying you're never going to drink again is too large a commitment for most addicts/alcoholics to be able to handle. Never is a very long time. One day at a time, on the other hand, is quite manageable. Some days it's hours or even minutes at a time.
                      First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Ican View Post
                        Ican
                        Yeaah! and to you Daisy. :thumbsup:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Checking in again. I saw some people mention nature's healing abilities, and I think that is so true. I spent this afternoon outside watching my youngest 2 feed their animals (chickens, rabbits, lambs, horses, dogs, and ducks). I also fooled around in the flower beds. I am in bed at 6:45, but it is better than drinking.
                          My 5 kids are great, No Sugar. I have one who just turned 18 so they are starting to grow up and leave the nest in the next few years. Thanks for asking.
                          Also as you suggest, I will probably check in more than once per day. My plan tonight is to read through some of my old posts when I had 100+ days, and see how I was doing then.
                          Congrats to all- Just Me hang in there!

Comment

Does anyone know how I can search for my old posts? It pulls up each thread I commented in but I don't have time to look through every old thread. Thanks in advance

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Ican, a 30 day AF goal is great to start. It's easier to keep your focus on smaller, attainable goals I think.
                              Since the site was updated I am not really sure how far back we can search for old posts - Byrdie may know the answer to that.

Fin, sorry about the turmoil in your house. Is your daughter a teen? That magical & most dramatic age can be rough, I remember.
                              Hang in there, drinking will not help that situation or any situation.

NS, here I am at 7+ years & I'm still checking in twice a day (most days). It just feels like a completely normal part of my life after all this time. I am sure the constant reinforcement has been of value.

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

This might be a stupid question, but is the ARMY thread only for people in the armed forces?

Comment

Working...
                                X