No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best thing we have done is not get mad, simply hold your hand out and say give me your phone and your keys. When you can act maturely we will treat you maturely. They will do anything for that phone.

Comment

Oh OIS....that sucks. Good on you for coming back. I guess it depends what you are drinking and how much? Might be time to talk to the doc....scary as that is.

Comment

Sorry for all the posts, I thought I was replying to individual people....I will figure this site out yet.
        Checking in before my date night.
        I am going to offer to drive so I don't drink....that's a plan, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Overit-still View Post
          Hi, I come sulking in. No excuses except being sick and TAX SEASON!!!!!!! Anyway, like Kensho said I've just gotten away with it forever, except now. I have the shakes so bad I can't even write my name. So, here's the question, cold turkey or do I need to reduce over a period of days (I don't know how I could control my reduction but I know how serious the DT's can be.) What is your suggestions?
          Gr8 post Kensho! Thank you.

Hi Overit. Can u see a doc or nurse to detox with? Good to see you and take it easy.
          Hi Ican.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Sorry I didn't clarify. No option for medical, just me.

I drink at least a half pint of whiskey and 4 Smirnoff Ice a night.
            The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Overit, please at least make sure you have someone close by to check on you. Be Sure you are hydrating well & take it easy. Sudden withrawal symptoms can be scary & dangerous. Take good care of yourself!

Fin, I have survived two teens, I totally get the drama & hysterics. One piece of advice that is very effective in dealing with teens - 'hit them where it hurts the most'! I mean in terms of removing what they most value, it really gets their attention. Car keys, cell phones, time out with friends ~ whatever they claim to value the most, ha ha. It worked every single time & I am still good friends with my 30 something kids. They grew into good people

Stay on plan everyone & have no regrets
              Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks Lavande. I do have my husband with me. I'm feeling pretty good this evening so I'm going cold turkey. Of course no one still knows about my drinking like I do. I'm still working 10-12 hours 6 days week. I'm on medicine that one of the side effects is shaking but I KNOW that the majority of this problem is my drinking. Because of this medicine I cannot take my antabuse. My poor body is so beat up right now.

I'll talk to you tomorrow.
                The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Overit, I hope you're ok,big hugs sweetie
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Overit. If you experience DT's you must get to a Doctor or nurse regardless of the consequences particularly if you have a history of going cold turkey in previous quits. Withdrawal tends to get worse with each successive quit.
                    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Evening nesters.

Oh Pav you were good competition in the early days lol and look where we are now. There is something to be said by being around people who understand what al does and "gets" how we feel about ourselves in the beginning. Al crippled me emotionally for so long and to have others that understood was my lifeline in the beginning. To ask for help/advice and to listen was a major thing for me and to realise i could not do this alone. I did have the support of my children but they didnt really get what i was thinking or feeling as much as i tried to explain.

Daisy I hope the dr went well. Smoking and al are both addictive and each does different damage to us. I still smoke and i know its an addiction i have to give up and i know its only my decision to do so. Send me any tips you find useful though. Congratulations on another grandbaby. My daughter years ago told me she would never leave me with her child while i drank. I was so offended that she thought that of me but i so now get it. Here i am 2+ years sober and still no bloody grandchild. In years to come your can look back at your painted rocks and remember where you were at that point in time with kind of fond memories and a huge sense of achievement.

I totally agree Kensho in that i did not function at all and i had to start being honest about how bad i was to myself and to others and stop justifying why i drank. It only gets better the longer you are sober. The memories pop up from time to time but it is a good reminder of why i cant and why i wont drink again.

Over, you bought back memories of the shakes that i used to have and i couldnt sign my name, let alone show someone something on a piece of paper and hope it wasnt obvious. I first off put it down to anxiety as god forbid it would be my bestie al but once i decided to get sober i had to look at what al gave me and none of it was pleasant. I just stopped al but took valium. everyone is different though so grab onto the support that you have and us here.

Ican, keep posting, it doesnt matter if you confuse us lol.

I could have "fanged" for a drink today. A patient played nice patient, aggressive patient with me until she was yelling down the phone. I am thinking to myself that i dont deserve this at 4pm in the afternoon but she set off the al brain for a drink to calm my nerves and stress levels. All i can say is that the thought was there and then it went. She was so not worth drinking AT. This is what time away from al gives you, the strength to say no and move on. I came home and had a cuppa, bitched to my daughter and we cooked dinner together. A much better end to the day than drinking.

Take care x
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Checking in on day 5 , REALLY struggling today. Had bad news which isn't helping, but I can't make that my excuse to drink today. Onwards and upwards. Hope everyone else is doing okay ?

Comment

Good work on day 5 Charlie and yes you are right there is no excuse good enough to have a drink. If you feel the urge then read around on MWO. There is some great reading on some old threads and current ones. I used to watch doco's on you tube on alcoholism, a real eye opener and it kept me motivated to be sober. You can do this.
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Today is my day one and I've had so many day ones in the past couple of years that I'm not very hopeful. I'm a mother of two teenage boys and I own my own business and it makes me so depressed that I can't seem to kick this drinking problem. I now have legal troubles that I have to deal with because of drinking and driving... I've gone to AA but the small town that I live in keeps it from being anonymous and I'm not comfortable in a group setting. I went to rehab last summer and only lasted for three weeks after I got out. The longest I've gone alcohol free has been six weeks and then something happens and I'm right back to binge drinking. I've been up all night reading on this website and want a community of folks that I understand and have been where I am because after so many failures I'm having hard time.

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Hump day!

Hello & welcome back Price! Glad you decided to join us. Settle in & stay with us for as long as you like.
                              Sounds like you have a good bit of stress to deal with like most of us. The thing I had to understand was that most people don't try to drink their stress away. I didn't find success until I accepted that & removed drinking as a so called stress-buster. I pushed & forced myself into using healthier tools like mindfulness, meditation, the MWO hypno CDs, etc. Go thru our fabulous Tool box & pick out some newer & healthier ways to deal with your stress & make a plan. You won't be sorry, I promise

Ava, isn't it great when we automatically choose to not drink over the idiots we encounter on a daily basis?

Charlie, great on your 5 AF days! Keep going!

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Wednesday!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Price and welcome!

You've made a great choice coming here and reading some posts written by people who have (and are) experiencing exactly what you're going through.

Day 1 is the hardest Price so hang in there. Check out the Tool Box for some helpful suggestions and don't hesitate to lean on your fellow Nesters when you need support or to vent. We've all been where you are. I know if it hadn't been for MWO and some wonderful folks on here that I wouldn't be sober today.

QW
                                AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                                F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Working...
                                X