Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all

Checking in. Spent the day doing a major garage clean out. I'm pretty sure the humidity just about killed me today. Had my boys helping me, one of them found and old empty booze bottle stash I had acquired. I would hide them, then take and throw them away in a dumpster so my wife wouldn't see them. Funny thing I thought I was so successful in being sneaky with my stashes and stuff. My wife promptly rattled off several other stash places that I thought I had fooled her all those years. Sad, funny but sad. That was so damn tiring and I don't miss it.

Laeot- Stay with it, looks like your on the right path.
    Anytime we have to share things that make us uncomfortable, I believe that is a sign of healing. Letting go of guilts, shame and resentments may be a short term inconvenience or be uncomfortable but it's definitely a must in maintaining long term sobriety.
    Definitely sucks to possibly lose your license for 2 years, but if you can find a brightside to this, at least you were stopped before you wrecked out and hurt yourself or somebody. That could have led to a hell of a lot more than 2 year suspended license. I've had several people I know with long term sobriety that had gotten DWI/DUI'S, that it was the best thing that ever happened to them. Had they not got caught they likely would have kept going.

Stay Hard Freaks!
    AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Hiya Nest.

Checking in on this long weekend. Feels good to have one extra day off. Of course, I managed to fill up my time with fun things, but should have considered more time to just chill out. Or not.

Good luck with your interview, El. You'll kill it.

Glad you're on the mend, G.

Hi, Matt. Keep cool.

Hi all you steady nesters. Good to see you.

Lots of booze around here this weekend - the first "official day of summer" here in the US. I was at a fun party last night, but by the end of the night these two friends were talking to me with thick tongues, standing a bit too close, and annoying the crap out of me. I had to leave. One of the women FOR SURE is one of us - but in a different way. I've never seen her have any regret. She told me a story of accidentally getting too drunk at a restaurant and having to leave before the food came. I would have been mortified and filled with shame and regret, but she just legitimately thought it was funny. I wonder if she'll just be that happy drunk forever, or if it will progress. Time will tell.

Anyway - Happy Sober Sunday, Nest.

Pav

Comment

Haha! thanks Mick... I just finished the interview and it went GREAT.
        Even if nothing comes out of it what a nice conversation!!!
        Let's see, I should have an answer in 48 hours.
        Originally posted by Mick View Post
        best of luck to you..the job is yours!!
        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Evening nesters

Been busy with work and trying not to freeze to death. A beautiful spring and now winter hit like a brick.

Laeot great work on your numbers, keep plodding along and you cant go wrong.

Nice to see you Pav, never seems to be enough hours in the day now. Funny how when i stopped drinking i never thought i could fill them since al took up so much of waking time. Planning, buying and drinking. Now i prefer to go to the gym, knit, watch and remember tv shows/movies and generally feel content. Nearly hitting 1000 days my quit buddy!

Oh Matt how funny finding a stash after all this time. I used to roll my bottles under the bed, at least i knew where they were! I am not sad anymore, more happy that I am not in that vicious cycle of al addiction anymore and we cant change the past. I would choose to be a princess if we could!

Had my boys visit for a week with their washing which was nice. Love them to death but was nice to have my house back and clean again. Had a lovely weekend with the four children, its hard to all get together now so it makes it pretty special. They still tell me how proud of me they are and my eldest said she could not imagine not having a drink on occasions. Obviously she doesnt have a problem as my occasion was every day. Im just grateful it is just a part of my normal life now to not drink.

Take care x
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

My dad made a comment about his wife doing this just yesterday.
            "She stashes her bottles around the house and everyone 'runs into them."
            Poor dad. He says he doesn't understand why she bothers to hide the bottles because everyone sees them anyway.
            I did it too. And WHO was I hiding from?? omg. I lived alone. It really is ridiculous how alcohol makes us think!
            Originally posted by Matt M. View Post
            Hello all

Checking in. Spent the day doing a major garage clean out. I'm pretty sure the humidity just about killed me today. Had my boys helping me, one of them found and old empty booze bottle stash I had acquired. I would hide them, then take and throw them away in a dumpster so my wife wouldn't see them. Funny thing I thought I was so successful in being sneaky with my stashes and stuff. My wife promptly rattled off several other stash places that I thought I had fooled her all those years. Sad, funny but sad. That was so damn tiring and I don't miss it.

Comment

Good Monday morning Nesters,

Memorial day here in the US. I'm afraid the usual parades & celebrations will be a washout as we are now getting flood warnings. I am grateful to be alive & well & grateful for all who have served our country.

No stashes here Matt. I hope you have uncovered the last of them, ha ha! Stay cool!

Hi there Pav & Eloise.

Ava, they bring their dirty laundry for a visit? LOL I have been thru that with my kids as well. Still, it's nice to see them
              Stay warm while we are trying to stay cool in this portion of the nest.

Have a wonderful AF day everyone!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I have been bluntly reminded of the ill effects of drugs and alcohol this weekend. On Sat AM I walked out of my front door early-early in the AM with my lab, looked up to greet the sun and instead, my gaze was drawn to the silhouette of a body hanging by an extension cord from my neighbor's maple tree across the street. His back was to me and my first thought was oh please don't let this be one of the kids on our block. My dog instantly knew something was wrong. Ears down and low, tail tucked and a little bark. Horrifically, he was facing my neighbors front bay window. Kids live there. Kids live all over this block. They're all asleep. After checking on him more closely, he wasn't familiar. A 911 call and an hour later it was all over. The person who did know him from the block said he'd been struggling with addiction for years. He was 25.

Be safe out there and look out for each other.
                -Fin
                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

So sorry you had to see that Fin,how awful
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

OMG, Fin! What a horrible story. Holy crap, that scares the spit out of me. What a waste! Addiction just sucks the life out of us! Im so sorry to hear that it took yet another victim. It has NO mercy. Do whatever it takes to break free of this beast. AL always wins. That is just tragic.

I survived a neighbor party last night, the only non drinker, as usual. They had been at it all day, so they were pretty tight by dinnertime. A food fight erupted (angel food cake and cool whip) I must admit, it was pretty funny, but glad I wasnt on the business end of cake-in-face! (What a waste of cake!). We got home around 9 and they wer still going strong.

I am heading to Pittsburgh tomorrow for my interview on Wednesday. I hope mine goes as well as yours, Eloise! I wish Id hear from the guy about my hotel reservations and airport transfer. UGG. I like a PLAN!

Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hello my friends,

Fin- so sorry you had to see that. My father having 25+ years of sobriety worked/sponsored many of men In AA, I was a child, but I Remember on more than one occasion men he had sponsored committing suicide, by Alcohol or other methods. Reminded me of a paragraph in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous-

Most of us have been unwilling to admit we
                      were real alcoholics. No person likes to think
                      he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows.
                      Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers
                      have been characterized by countless vain attempts
                      to prove we could drink like other people. The idea
                      that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his
                      drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal
                      drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing.
                      Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death

This thing we have/had called addiction issues is serious, if we didn't already know that. Stories like what Fin saw really drive it home.

Stay Hard my friends
                      AF 08~05~2014

Comment

20160530_125626.jpg
                        AF 08~05~2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Fin, I am really sorry that you had to witness something like that. What a shame for that young man & his family. What a blessing to be free of mind altering substances. We have every reason to maintain our gratitude & live life as it was intended.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest AND wishing Byrdie safe travels tomorrow as she flies up the western end of my state. Will be thinking of you :hug:

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Fin I am terribly sorry you and your labrador had to experience such a situation. I am also sorry for the poor boy who found himself in such a place that something like this seemed the best solution to him.

Please let us know how your interview went Byrdie?
                            I am feeling pretty positive about my options and starting to imagine what our new lives might be like? Let's not get ahead of ourselves though, waiting on 'the offer!'
                            For now today is officially an art day with no interviews plans. Feels good.

Holding on to sense and sensibility these days folks, holding on strong.

Comment

Hi Nesters,

Sorry to hear that Fin. We really must look after, and look out for each other on this planet a hell of a lot more.

Safe travels Byrdy, and all the best for your interview. I'm sure you'll shine my friend.

Hope Memorial day was a good one for my American friends.

All cruisey here. Take care out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good Tursday morning Nesters!

Sunny & very warm today, so they say ha ha!

Wishing everyone a terrific AF day. Go Byrdie!!!!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X