No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is POURING RAIN in these parts this morning. I hope it lets up before I catch my flight! What a time to have a tropical storm! Glad I don't drink....
    I sure do appreciate the well-wishes....I am NERVOUS! I just hope I don't say anything stupid!!!

It will be a long couple of days.....I am not taking my ipad, just my phone so will check in as best I can with that. I'm trying to travel light which is not my strong suit! I will keep you posted! EL, good luck with yours!!!!! I've got everything available body part crossed for you!
    If I can get thru all this sober, I KNOW you all can, too! Stick with it! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

You will be great Byrdie, I just know it!!
      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Best of luck and success, Byrd!!!
        Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
        Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Sit back & watch a movie or something tonight Byrdie - you've got this

Eloise, I hope you are having some time to relax too!

Hi there Fin, good to see you.
          Where is everyone else today? Check in when you can guys - it really helps, trust me!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Byrdie yinz is going to enjoy the Burg an at. Remember the Penguins are in the Stanley Cup finals ...game 2 is tomorrow. Sharks are Bad and Penguins good. While there enjoy a Primanti Brothers sandwich and wash it down with a Alcohol Free Iron City Beer. Well maybe not the vitamin I. Get the lingo right. You are going to be Dahn Town and end all sentences with "an at" or stuff
            Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

I guess I relax with my mindfulness and yoga Lav.
              We are watching Bloodline now in the evening, that is relaxing I guess?

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Hump day already

TJ, sounds like you have been there a time or two, ha ha! I hope Byrdie gets a chance to try the cuisine unique to western PA, Lol

Eloise, I believe we can learn to relax in the midst of chaos regardless of the source. Now there are some TV shows I just don't watch, don't need the visuals, ha ha.

Looks like another warm & sunny day here in my portion of the nest, my garden will be happy.
                Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

well Lav you don't know me at all so I will just let you know that I never watch TV or go to the movies. So, watching TV is an event and something which involves planning.
                  I was never allowed to do it as a kid and never got the habit.
                  It takes every effort to stay awake to be honest, something about it just makes me nod off. :single_eye:

Comment

Happy Hump Day. Will be traveling for the next five days, so my posts might be sporadic. Alas, not to worry. I'm all in.

Being good,
                    -Fin
                    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Morning nesters

Getting colder and i'm sick so at least i a cosy and warm and not driving in peak hour traffic waiting for the car heater to warm up.

Yesterday i celebrated 2 and a half years of being sober. I had forgotten until a friend congratulated me on another milestone. I thought back to the early days where i plodded along minute by minute and day by day, wanting my best friend al so badly that my mind ached with want. Facing those firsts where i had to have a plan and a mindset of totally not wanting/needing to drink. Telling myself over and over why i didnt want to drink, fighting with the voice that was telling me i deserved one, needed one, wanted one.

Living life without al as a crutch has been a nightmare sometimes. I look at what i faced in those 2 and a half years - sick animals constantly, a friend dying, 3 children breaking up with long term partners, job stressors, mother issues, getting financially back on track, learning to love myself, finding myself, learning to find new activities instead of drinking, losing friends, making new sober ones, growing emotionally and learning to live life sober.

I look back at what i achieved in my drinking career and some memories are shameful, some are sad and some are funny. I did manage to bring up 4 beautiful children so I did achieve something wonderful. Do i wish I had never ever picked up a drink, i certainly do. Can I take back my drinking days? No I cant and I dont want to really, the life I have now is great, i am happy, i am content and I am proud of what I have achieved in the past 2 and a 1/2 years.

In fleeting moments i think i could control my drinking now and i could have that ONE on occasion but I then reflect that NEVER did i have one in the last 10 years, never could i stop drinking for more than a day and never do i want to have a day 1 and start again. That scares me enough and I love and appreciate being sober every single day.

Happy 2 and a half years my quit buddy PAV.

Take care x
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

avail...congratulations on your 2n a half years...your post sums it up completely

I thought back to the early days where i plodded along minute by minute and day by day, wanting my best friend al so badly that my mind ached with want. Facing those firsts where i had to have a plan and a mindset of totally not wanting/needing to drink. Telling myself over and over why i didnt want to drink, fighting with the voice that was telling me i deserved one, needed one, wanted one. ....but guess what 30 months later ...and here you are...be very proud of yourself...you deserve it :goodjob::yay:
                        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Hello everyone! Just checking in. Really struggling lately. It's summer and I'm romancing the drink. Just 1 while laying out or fishing on the river. UGH!!!!
                          The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Over-it. This is the part that sucks....the rough edges. I promise you that muscling thru these times will put you in smooth waters. You will be able to navigate thru the toughest times you can imagine and NOT even consider drinking as a means of escape. We all had struggles but do whatever itctakes to change your thinking. There is NOTHING romantic about AL for us. I can see myself sneaking chugs of vodka from a hidden bottle in my closet. Nothing romantic about that....more along the lines of pathetic. Hope you made it thru
                            back home now, I am BEAT. I think the interview went very well, a little stiff at first but it loosened up. The big cheese joined us at lunch and he was very personable. He said that the other company's loss was their gain. Thats a good sign. Im supposed to hear back from him next week. Fingers crossed! Im just glad thats over!!!!
                            its a good thong I dont drink, I dont know how I would have managed THAT monkey this week! Even with ALL THIS STRESS, at no time have I wished/desired that I could drink it away!!!! THAT'S YOOOOOGE! Hang in everyone!

TJAF, i grabbed a turkey sandwich at the airport (10 bucks) and ate that for lunch and dinner so I didnt get to try any of the stuff you mentioned. Phooey! What a lingo they have! They tawk funny up ere.
                            Byrdie
                            Last edited by Byrdlady; June 1, 2016, 08:40 PM.
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hey Fin, we will be thinking of you so don't forget about us

Eloise, TV is more of a background noise for me than anything. I do really enjoy the oddball stuff like Masterpiece Theater. Of course I have a hard time sitting for long periods of time, ha ha!!

Ava, Congrats on your 2 1/2 AF years :welldone:
                              Why would we give up now? That would be just crazy. I hope you are feeling better very soon :hug:

Overit, forget the romance thing with AL. That sucker just wants to take over & destroy......nothing the least bit loving about that.
                              Sit down & think about what it is that you really want? I bet it's not AL.

Byrdie, I just knew those people would meet you & immediately appreciate you!
                              We are all very happy for you & know you will come thru this stronger than ever

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav. There is a rumor that I grew up in the Burgh. Some Jag I know started it. Ill neither confirm or deny it....en at!
                                Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Working...
                                X