No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, The nest is rockin'. I love it! gotta get caught up, but, 10 pages since I last checked in Thursday?! I'm elated, I was so worried this place was dying. Obviously I need to keep my butt here posting.
    Byrdie! 2000 Days! fantastic!5465489_orig.jpg

Comment

this is not a proper post because I wanted to make it fancy (dang kindle). But, I am adding my CONGRATULATIONS and THANKS to everyone else's.

You are amazing :love:
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Day 1 done and dusted ... Had a bit of a rough night , so used to sleeping in my " AL coma " . Thanks for the toolbox advice I am making my plan ... Bought a book yesterday Allen Carr's Easy Way to stop drinking comes with a hypnotherapy CD . Cant wait to see if this is the way for me . Can there honestly be an easy way ??? I will keep you posted folks ! Congrats Byrdie on 2000 days AF . I can only dream right now . Have a super Tuesday everyone . x

Comment

Morning all -

Bobby - Well done for getting through Day 1 - Just think...if you stick with this then you'll never have to go through that day again!
          As to the rough night - almost everyone gets this for a while. You said, yourself, about the Al Coma...that's absolutely right. Your body has been so used to nodding off with the assistance of alcohol, that you are now asking it to sleep naturally. It takes a little while to adjust.
          I've not read the Allen Carr book for a reason that I think may be a UK reason - we have a Comedian/Chatshow host on TV here called Alan Carr (yes I KNOW it's not the same person and is even spelt differently) but on his shows he has a cocktail cabinet and dispenses alcohol to all his celebrity guests while talking to them and some of them get tipsy. The thought of someone with that name giving out advice to alcoholics just seems weird!!! I've seen the book mentioned so many times, though, that I've just paused typing and just ordered it myself to see why so many people talk about it!

You ask if there can honestly be an easy way - I think that the honest answer is "no" but there is so much we can do to make it easiER - being here and posting is a huge help, but also read, follow your plan, avoid alcohol situations, and take every bit of help that is offered to you. All these things can help you on your way.

Sky - Happy (Sober) Birthday

And good morning to Byrdie, Lav, Ava, Eloise, Justme, Mady, Choices, Beaches and everyone else.

Have a good day!

Tony

Comment

Thanks Tony for the prompt reply and huge encouragement. I have taken this day off so that I can sort myself out . I know of that comedian , crazy really how him and Graham Norton both like to get their guests tipsy in front of the nation and beyond !! Glamourizing ALCOHOL !! That's why we pour a drink whilst we watch such shows, is as if we have permission ... Its all about the brainwashing .. Liking this book I cannot wait to finish it so that I can do the hypnotherapy as one has to read the book first. I believe that there are clinics all around the world unfortunately not here in South Africa . I will stay right here on this site for however long it takes to get the interaction with people like me . So positive and a little bit excited about being a non drinker ... yippee I love saying that .

Comment

Evening nesters

Cold here and wet, wish i could hibernate for the next month at least.

My week has not improved but im not drinking so its a good week.

Daisy nice to see you pop in, how is that new grandbaby going?

Bobby there is no easy way to stop drinking except putting in the hard yards. For me i had to be 110% committed to coming on here, reading and watching you tube vids and movies on al. i had to realise that i was an alcoholic and only i could stop the madness. i had to tell my children who already knew, that i had a problem with al. my sleep was crap, i had headaches from hell for weeks and weeks but i put the poison into myself so i had to patiently wait until i started to heal. The al voice nearly won a few times telling me i would be ok to have a drink as REALLY i wasnt THAT bad but when you drink 2 bottles of wine a day, 7 days a week, thats bad. BUT it gets better and better. When it gets better is different for all of us and now i cant really remember when i reached that stage. i can honestly say i dont ever want to do a day 1 again and i wont as i dont drink now.

you will notice that the posters who post daily make themselves accountable. I know i had a huge fear of letting the ones who helped me and i still do.

20 congrats on your 7 days, cant remember if i said that or not but great work.

Well time to feed the puppies and watch the idiot box before i repeat today.

Hi Tony, nearly 30 days for you. your positivity certains rubs off on everyone here!

take care x
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks Available !! loving the feedback ... I am in this for the long run . x

Comment

Hi all,

It took me a while to catch up! 2000 days are so fantastic! I'm envious!!! Well done Byrd! It is exciting to be a non-drinker Bobby, you sound great. And that is my short term memory done on the posts. But the over all jest I got reading through was a lot of victory! I'm good. Home alone with my daughter who finally just fell asleep. My husband is away on business. I don't want any wine.. but the thought just thought.. of it has popped into my mind quite a bit. Not in I wish I had it kind of way... more of an odd... "oh yeah, I don't drink wine (again) anymore... " Feeling a little odd, but manageable. This is probably a low grade craving if I can put my finger on it... And it's only because I've been here before.. and didn't know it was.. I'm going to be thrilled in the morning when I wake up sober and clear headed.. Although the past few mornings my head has been fuzzy anyway.. But probably that's just parenthood.
                  AF January 7, 2018

Comment

Choices, The home alone thing was such a major trigger for me that I have been putting most of my effort into that area. It's fantastic that it was "just a thought". I KNOW how easily the "thought" can change by adding "and no-one would know"!!!

The "fuzzy head" in the morning is another thing which I thought was just me... I simply cannot remember if this used to happen before I started drinking because 22 years is a long time to remember back! But I sometimes get this too, perhaps also with a very dull, not very significant, headache. It's almost like a mini hang-over without having the Al. Has anyone else had this because now that Choices has mentioned it too, it may not be just me?

I've actually just realised how dumb I've been about this... I've already said to other people, in my short time on here, that if they get any strange symptoms then share it on here because someone else is bound to have experienced it and will be able to help and here I am having kept this one to myself - DOHHH!

Comment

Good morning, Nesters!
                      I've hit the ground running again today. I feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode where everyone knows what's going on except me! I will be glad when I know what I'm doing or at least WHO to call. I know I'm driving my new boss batty. On the flip side, when I used to train new people, I knew if they didn't have questions they weren't working!

Choices, when I quit, my head felt like I had a head cold for several days...so go figure, I felt Flu-y, if that's a word. You may mean fuzzy as in not thinking clearly, but mine was actually stuffy....maybe my body didn't know how to process actual food? I also had crazy twitchy legs in the beginning. Not restless legs, but like mis-firing commands to move. It was odd, but it passed after those first couple weeks. Hope you are feeling right as rain soon!

Thank you all for the very kind words. I did those 2000 days just like everyone else here in the nest. All I have to do, is get thru THIS day. I can do that! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good Morning everyone,
                        Wow Byrd 2000 days that is so wonderful. Personally I can't thank you enough for the toolbox and open arms welcome through my journey. Congrats!! Wear that proud.

Welcome Bobby, this is a wonderful place, full of support. People here share their experiences and it really helps to feel connected.

Tony and Choices yeah I've got fuzzy head too. I put things down and can't remember where. Have found myself looking back and trying to remember the day before, this has helped a bit. I start to get a headache when I'm tired (that I figured out) pretty much that's why my posts in the morning are scattered lol

Tony and Bobby I'm currently reading the Allan Carr book to quit smoking and it is helping me keep everything in perspective with the Al at the same time. I couldn't stop both at the same time

On to Day 4, should be day 29 but I'm not going to beat myself up. I'm still sober today.

Have a great day everyone
                        Last edited by Inthesky; July 12, 2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Good Tuesday morning Nesters,

I'm on grandma taxi duty today running my grandsons to & from their day camps, fun times . I am so grateful to have this precious time with them. These opportunities would never have been possible if I had chosen to continue drinking, believe me.

I will check in later. Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day!!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening Nest

I had a spit-drying-in-the-mouth day... Hectic! Busy!!!

Being so busy brings many little issues to deal with. Got home very frustrated and started reading here. It really helped to calm me.

I am soooo thankful I am sober. Probably would have flipped out today and that would have been a good reason to drink my face off. And then tomorrow would have been hell.

It is magical to be able to calm down, think, and then act. Really interesting to observe others reacting to stress and not take it personal while functioning in my hungover, paranoid bubble. Freedom on so many levels.

AF IS WORTH IT!!!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Justme, checking in here (before doing anything you'll regret late)r has helped most all of us at one time or another.
                              The perfect tool for your Tool box.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Love catching up here!! My day was crazy busy - but a fun and good busy. I had a "success" moment this evening. I am working on a huge landscaping project. My hubs is gone for the week, so I have a lot of heavy lifting (literally) to do. A friend of my hubs stopped by to help me lift some heavy containers. After we finished - he said "do you have time for a beer?" I gave him my answer from "my plan" - and he said .... "I'll drink one while I help you finish". I went to "THE BEER FRIDGE" (yes, the one in his shop that he won't let me get rid of ---- the one where I taped a MWO post), and got him a beer. He drank it - and only for a few seconds I thought "YES< NO>YES<NO>NO>No.N.O!!!!!!!!!!!!" My resolve strengthened after that!!! It was like I did something that I never thought I could do!!!

Bobby - I've read Alan Carr's book. It is helpful, but it still isn't easy. I like Tony's comment ... "There are things that make it easiER". I think things that make it easier are : posting and reading on MY WAY OUT, Reading everything you can get your hands on, getting everyone and anyone around you to support you and help you be accountable. So you just keep on keeping on ........ hang with us, and we can all take the journey together!!

Just me - this site calms me too!

Lav - I have "Gramma-Camp" with my Grandkids every summer - just love it. Nothing better than the feeling of knowing they are safe in your care because there is no AL slowing your reactions, temper and general mood.

Inthesky - Day 4 is better than day ZERO everyday. Saddle up and Just do it ... one day at a time!! Congrats on day 4

Byrdie - I also hate having a new job, or new boss or new anything!!! I just don't like change!! I'm sure you are awesome at whatever you do!!

Tony & Choices - I had a headache Sat, Sun and Monday for no reason. It was worse than a hangover headache! Our brains may be growing new brain cells back! LOL. Seriously though ... I've been such a scatter brain since I quit drinking. Just a space cadette. I know this too shall pass. Each day we're getting healthier. Choices ... So glad to see you here, as I know what it's like to be a single Mommy while the hubs travels. Bravo to you for even finding a moment to log on!

Available - I love reading your posts. So Wise.

To anyone I missed - thanks for posting here. I love this thread.
                                "Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it" ........

Comment

Working...
                                X