Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning Nest!

Byrdie I empathise.... I swear my epitaph will contain the words "Windows 10" or "Office 2016" in relation to the cause of my demise....

Well the big weekend is almost upon us. I referred to it in my goals that I set out after hitting 30 AF days as the weekend of the big Festival here when I may be "the only sober person in the village"

Our business is heavily involved in the hospitality side of things and we have, starting today, 6 massive days ahead with the build up starting today and being completed by the end of tomorrow, then 3 days of the event itself and then the dismantle and clearance on Monday next week. Last year I was drinking to get me through. This year it will be done stone cold sober.

Great to see all the posts over the last few days and have a good (AF) day everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by tonyniceday View Post
      Morning Nest!

Byrdie I empathise.... I swear my epitaph will contain the words "Windows 10" or "Office 2016" in relation to the cause of my demise....
      Yep, my tombstone will read...."She fought many opponents in her young (stop laughing) life...but Windows 10 took her too soon"

I've just been 15 minutes trying to get my tool bar back!

Happy Hump Day everyone! Hope we all have productive days!!!! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi everyone - I'm new here. I posted in Just Starting Out and was advised that this is the best place to be. I managed one AF day on Saturday (it actually wasn't so bad!) I just need to get my head round this and be totally committed in my effort to give up wine. So - here goes. Day 1. I would love to be sober for September!!

Comment

This is a great place to get the support you need to get this done, Kokai. Sober September is a great, manageable goal and when you've done that, your head will be clearer and it will be so much easier for you to evaluate your life with and without AL in it and make the best choice for you. Keep posting :smile:!

Comment

Welcome Kokai!!! Nice to see you here..

Hi NS!!:happy2:

Tony, strength to you the next 6 days! It sounds like a lot of hard work and being stone cold sober will be to your benefit.. and at the end you'll still be walking the walk! Will you be checking in here during that time?

Drinking thoughts have come to mind today, out of the blue.. but I'm not giving them any time.. I've promised myself that no matter what, if I'm feeling in any way vulnerable, I will come straight home, not stopping for anything, to check in with all of you. And I won't go out again if I'm in any way doubting my resolve.

Nothing exciting to add..
            Hope you're all doing well..

Comment

Welcome Kokai! You've come to a supportive place with LOTS of good ideas and advice for getting rid of alcohol. You will also find great info and tools in the toolbox... Byrdlady has a link to it in her signature.

I'm feeling much better than I was last week. I forget that it starts over when you drink. I think I fully expected to go right back to how I felt at 6 mos. AF when I stopped 3 weeks ago, but evidently it doesn't work that way.

Happy AF to everyone!
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes! I've been surfing the internet and came across this post that someone put on 'Hello Sunday Morning' forum (another one to help people quit) - I hope they don't mind me copying it over here - it certainly rang bells for me!!

What if someone came up to you and said hi would you like some of this ? What is it i say , well he says its this new stuff that you drink and keep drinking and basically it makes you act differently and most of the time it will turn you into a total dickhead. But thats not all he says ,its expensive ,you won't be able to drive your car, you might vommit ,you might get in a fight, you might fall over,you will get fat and ugly,you will feel like shit most of the time, you will lose respect , most of your internal organs will disintegrate, you will get gout ,diabetes,high blood pressure,cancer, and eventually it will kill you. OK sounds good give me 35 years worth I'm going to test this shit out. ouch!!!!! this crap should be outlawed why would anyone do that to themselves

Comment

You know, Kokai, the FDA here in the US (Food and Drug Administration) would never approve alcohol if it were introduced now. Ironic, huh??

Comment

"Today I was washing salad and noticed something moving around in the water.. I fished out a little lady bug that stayed on my wrist, walking circles around a friendship bracelet my daughter gave me, for a very long time.. I tried to move her onto a plant but she wouldn't budge, stayed glued to me. Even little things like her visit mean a lot to me now.. All the things that just 2 weeks ago I either wouldn't have noticed or would have been feeling too shitty to enjoy. I was feeling rough, to say the very least..

So happy to be in the company of you all.." Lifechange

Lifechange i so know what you mean about the little things, it can be in nature, for me if I notice anything I've planted actually growing I smile! (Gardening is not my thing so I am amazed when things live!!) Also my neighbour's cat greeting me, a child's smile, the wind rustling in the trees, finding a parking place with ease:- all of these little things mean so much, they all seem disconnected but somehow they are not, they are part of the bigger picure of sustained sobriety! DD x

Comment

Hi Nest

This week is flying by and I don't mind it !

Tony - wish you lots of energy for the 6 days. My aunt has a restaurant and she always works her butt off while the rest of the fam enjoys the partying. Would be interesting to hear how you experienced it sober.

LC - loved your "unhung" description!! and lady bugs are the best!

Kensho - you sound good!

Kokai - welcome. I was a big wine drinker too. Good description of the poison al that you posted.

NS - really? Would FDA not approve al? Sick world we live in..

Byrdie, Lav, Ava, Pat, DD - hi

Off to bed. Till later.
                      Last edited by Justme Again; August 31, 2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I had a very short but fun trip with my girls & we really enjoyed ourselves
                        Glad to be back & see everyone's positive posts!

Hello & welcome Kokai, glad you decided to join us. I was a big wine drinker too but haven't had a drop in 7+ years now & you can do it too. Make a good plan for yourself & be sure to check out our Tool box for good ideas.

LC, I live on the US east coast & have lots of beach areas I can get to in about two hours. This time we went to Ocean City, Maryland, fun, fun!

Tony, just imagine getting through this busy week with a totally clear head & conscience. I bet everything will go quite nicely for you

Greetings to everyone & sending special wishes to Byrdie that her computer doesn't drive her completely insane, ha ha!!!
                        Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I survived another day of Windows 10. However, tech support lost one of my folders, I hope he can find it, dang it!!
                          Kokai, we are so glad you found us. I enjoyed that note you found about AL. Wow, that's sobering! Those last 10-15 years I drank AL did me NO favors and nearly cost me everything. How crazy that with all that I continued to drink! I just didnt know how to stop. We can help you get the skills to quit! Tool Box link is in my signature line beliw.
                          Hugs to all! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, All:

Quick fly by.

I have to say that I really don't like the end of summer. i hate having to keep track of my son's stuff/homework, etc., in addition to mine (which is hard enough!) He has pretty severe attention problems so it feels constant sometimes, especially homework time. I have to go back at it now...

Kokai, welcome and thanks for sharing that. i feel so alone when I say "you don't have to have alcohol to have fun." Practically no one believes me because we have been so conditioned to think that there is NO FUN without it.

Night all.

pav

Comment

G night Pav.

This might be worth a look for anyone in the first 30 days of their sobriety. Called the '30 day solution' it's a structured program with a different theme for each day. It's meant to accompany a book, but that costs money. Here's the free stuff. See what you think. (link says 3 days but it's 30)

Login | The 3�-Day Solution

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Thursday to all!

Looks like a rain day here in Lav-land so I guess I'll be catching up with some indoor stuff & that's OK.

Hello to Byrdie, Pav, G & everyone
                                Pav, my son had attention problems too, I understand your concerns. I finally broke down & paid for him to work with an educational counselor for a few years when he was in Jr High & it worked like magic. That guy was able to teach my son some real organizational skills that I just couldn't, what a relief

Have a great AF day everyone!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X