Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning Nest

We've just had several hours of Broadband black-out! Back on-line now (obviously).

The session with the Psychiatrist yesterday (New one as the previous one has moved departments) culminated with her asking me whether I thought I had a "Mental Health issue"... She wants me to think about that and discuss again at the next appointment in around 6 weeks!

Yes, when I was drinking and I didn't care whether I lived or died, that was clearly a "mental health issue". Yes when I was going through some depressive times when I first quit, that could probably be described as a "mental health issue".

So now? Still going through ups and downs but is that a real "issue" or is it just life?

I almost feel like saying "You're the Shrink, you figure it out!"

Comment

You sound pretty balanced to me Tony. Everyone has mental health issues. If they get in the way of our happiness or safety/well being then it maybe be a problem, but if not who cares?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise View Post
        How is the finger Siren???
        It hurts but it's manageable, I guess. I don't have much choice than to deal with it as I expect full amputation would hurt a bit more :cuss:

Comment

New nails grow back quickly Siren. You'll be back scratching and a picking in no time. :applouse:

I've been flooded with pm's, letters and phone calls asking how i got to 30 days. How did you do it G man?! Sheesh, even the paparazzi are trying it on out the front of my joint.

Like i was saying to Liz Vargas just the other day, One foot in front of the other really, and having some mental distractions in the first week or so such as mindless movies was a big help. Just keep going and it is another big help to treat yourself with kindness and compassion. A No blame game zone is a big help too. I won't blame myself or others for my feelings. I can work to change how i think and how i feel. I have this power. I've noticed that if i am moving with honesty, humility and gratitude, it is interesting how doors that serve me well will open.

Have a rippa out there.
          Last edited by Guitarista; September 13, 2016, 03:55 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

G, I came in for a quick check but I see you have 30 days!!, hats off to you ! :guy:
            My meeting is going well, most of the guys went out last night drinking and are going to do the same tonight. Im going to have a quiet night at the hotel with my former boss and call it an early evening. Im beat! All this thinking!
            Stay strong everyone! If I can do this I know you can! Hugs, Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the warm welcomes back to the nest. It's so great to see some familiar names from 2014 and some new ones as well - glad to be back here with all of you.

I'm still catching up on the latest discussions, but one thing that really jumped out at me was the topic of blood sugar and not eating grains. I used to wake up hungry every morning, and if I didn't eat something within the first hour of the day, and I could feel myself starting to bonk. My blood tests always came back in the normal range, but I could tell that my blood sugar fluctuated.

As part of an experiment with an anti-inflammatory diet, I gave up all wheat and alcohol (including non-wheat types) 52 days ago. I eat very little "sugar" in the first place, but taking bread, pasta and other such things out of my diet has made my occasional interest in sugar even less frequent. In the first 30 days, I lost 13 pounds without changing anything else. I have since lost 2 more pounds, and hope to drop about 5 more. This is all the weight I gained over the past 18 months after I fell off the wagon and started drinking. My body thanks me almost daily, and it "feels" like it fits me again.

I have not experienced my hoped for benefit of pain relief (osteoarthritis) from dropping the wheat and alcohol, but there are so many other benefits I see no reason to go back.

One thing I've noticed is that my blood sugar doesn't feel like it fluctuates throughout the day, I don't wake up hungry and needing to eat soon after waking. I do still eat breakfast, but I do ok if I miss it, and I don't get hungry again a few hours after eating. It is SO much easier for me to resist AL when tempted. For some reason, people also pressure me much less to drink with them when they understand that it's not just AL I've given up.

Having said that, I have had some serious temptations over the past 4-5 days. I've been inexplicably sad, to the point of not wanting to feel that way and wishing hard for a quick fix. I think it's at least somewhat hormonal, as I'm nearing menopause. Still trying to get a handle on that.

52 days in, I'm SO happy to be in this place and to truly feel like I'm taking care of myself again. If avoiding wheat does nothing else but help me stay alcohol-free, that's a small price to pay.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I can't believe tomorrow is Wednesday already - Hump day

Wagmore, it took a while for me but I did eventually find good pain relief from OA.
                Getting older is not for sissies, it can hurt. Getting AL out of my life along with certain foods made a big difference.
                Great job on your 52 AF days!

Siren, I wish you quick healing.

Hi there Byrdie, G & everyone.

Justme, I wish you a quiet & peaceful October. If you want to try cleaning up after chickens for a while, just let me know, ha ha!!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Nest. Typing from the iPad... Not as easy as the regular keyboard! I got 2 hrs sleep last night, so I'm fairly delirious. Ready to settle in to bed here soon. Being so tired is not good for my resolve with much, because I feel I worked so hard I deserve rewards, which used to include alcohol. Aiming for chocolate and bed tonight. Hope everyone has a good night.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

I mean really Tony. Isn't addiction a mental health issue? My word, yes indeed I believe it is.
                    Isn't she the doctor? For goodness sake, did she not get enough sleep the night before? Or is this a typical 'everyone drinks alcohol to some extent or another' train of thought?
                    I hate changing psychiatrists, or doctors of any kind really. It is so tiresome to repeat yourself.
                    I had a therapist in Texas that used an alarm to end our sessions. It made me feel like she didn't want to spend one extra second with me! I actually found her really weird and funny, she maybe needed therapy even more than I did!

Hope you are feeling better this morning Kensho?!!
                    Last edited by Eloise; September 14, 2016, 03:02 AM.
                    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Tony - the mental health thing... everybody has a problem with mental health at some point in their life, because of life's up and downs (like you said).

I strongly and embarrssingly experienced mental health problems CAUSED BY AL the last 3 years of drinking. Best thing since living AF, is to feel in control and to trust my own thoughts again.

Only mental health challenges now is to deal with situations, people and relationships damaged by who I was in that state.

Her question was probably part of a tactical thing she was thought - oh gosh! It brings back memories!

Comment

Even the MWO FAQs suggest removing the "junk" from our diets to reduce the swings in blood glucose to facilitate recovery. There is some evidence that addiction to alcohol is related to disordered carbohydrate metabolism, which is pretty common in populations that consume the amounts and types that most Westerners do. In any case, it won't hurt to quit eating that stuff and over time, you might find some amazing benefits. (Did you see all the press yesterday about the nefarious sugar industry?? They are right up there with Big Tobacco. I'm so glad all of this is finally making it into the popular press!).

Kuya, after you received that validation, the way you thought about how you were feeling changed, right?
                        There are several wonderful videos online by Dr Bill Pettit - they completely changed my thinking about all mental illnesses, including addiction. Here are a couple if anyone is interested.
                        YouTube
                        Dr Bill Pettit on the truth about mental health - the 3 Principles in Psychiatry | School of Thought
                        Premium Member Webinar - Free! - Dr. Bill Pettit, Jr., M.D. 1 | 3 Principles Supermind

Have a great day, Nesters!

Comment

Thank you NS.
                          That was really good videos.

Comment

Another link folk may find useful. This batch of talks up for 24 hrs i think, but a week or so of free talks on same site if interested.

Recovery 2.� Online Conference - Survive Addiction. Thrive in your life.

Comment

Having loads of Internet problems at the moment. Back on line for the moment.

I think the psychiatrist has actually done my head in... I can't stop thinking about what she's getting at...

Am I supposed to say "no" so she can convince me I have got a problem...or so she can sign me Off??

Maybe she wants me to say yes. Actually why would I be seeing her if the answer was not "yes"???

But then what is the Problem? Is alcoholism a mental health issue per se?

Honestly this the most confused I've felt ever about my own sanity!.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                                Another link folk may find useful. This batch of talks up for 24 hrs i think, but a week or so of free talks on same site if interested.

Recovery 2.� Online Conference - Survive Addiction. Thrive in your life.

I just listened to Gabor Maté's talk (that is available for another 14 hours). It's an interesting one overall but my take home line was this: "It's hard to give up things that almost work". That seems to me to be so often true.

Comment

Working...
                                X