No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all definitely know.. did you bring alcohol today in your lunchbox? If so, you could get ahead of the voices by dumping it out now! Like Pav mentioned the other day, take the option off the table. Don't overthink it, just do it.. you CAN do this, JKM.

Comment

No vodka in the lunch box for about a week now and ive been leaving money and cards at home so, theoretically, i can't not buy any on the way home. Yesterday i borrowed money from a co worker to buy some on the way home. Omg this all sounds so sad. Like something you would hear on the Dr. Drew show.

Comment

No, it sounds like addiction! The absolutely insane things we've all done to get a drink. Is everything you had at home gone? When the voice comes today, can you trick it by pushing everything off till tomorrow? Today is the only day you need to think about. You can promise yourself that you won't drink today and only today. Sometimes I even go in 5 or 10 minute intervals.. if I'm at work, I go to the toilet and look at myself in the mirror straight in the eyes and tell myself, you CAN do it, you can do it. Stay glued here, as you have been. Keep your stomach full and drink tons of water. Convince yourself that drinking today is not an option.

Comment

I have 3/4s of a half pint at home. I can do this. I'll poor it out and I'll do my best to think about everything else but al.

Comment

You can. For sure you can.. you know what it feels like to wake up fresh and relieved in the morning. To think, thank God I didn't drink! Maybe imagine arriving home, going straight to the alcohol and pouring it out immediately.. without thought, no weighing out the pros and cons or thinking, I can start tomorrow.. just Pour it out. Visualize it as the poison it is.. like rubbing alcohol, better down the sink than in your body. We are all here with you..

Comment

Thanks so much for hanging with me today LC. I appreciate the company.

Comment

Hey JKM! I will tell you that one thing that really helps the cravings is time. You do have to use some tools to get through now, but I promise that it will not always be this hard to deny the voices telling you to drink! In fact, those voices kind of go away (mostly) with time. I tell you that so you know that you can look forward to that in your future! Keep at it, and have faith that now is the hardest part - give it your all and you won't regret it!
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Checking in on day 54. Loving it!

C'mon nesters, keep kicking ass. Those days rack up before you know it. Breathe, relax, and do something to distract if needed.

Here's your wild pony. Git on it. :horse:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Jkm123 View Post
                    Well for the last year i filled a half pint bottle with vodka from the bigger bottle and put it in my lunch box and took it to work. Then after work i go to the store, buy a 12 oz redbull drink 1/3 and fill it back up with 2-3 oz of vodka and drink it on the way home (yes om driving i know thats bad). By the time i get home, 45 min or so, im done with the redbull and pretty buzzed so i go in change poor another drink and walk the dogs.
                    LC gave you great advice and support, Jkm (and the cool thing is, when we type things like she did for you, we further "rewire" our own brains, increasing our own ability to make the right choice - it is a totally win/win situation!).

In the early days, it is so important to set up your environment at the time your rational brain is in charge, making the decisions you want to make. Your lizard brain cannot drive a car or use a credit card but once it gets started demanding alcohol, it can seemingly "make" the real you get a hold of what it thinks is needed for survival. This part won't last forever but for now, please don't have any alcohol in your house and don't go near liquor stores or bars. If you give that lizard brain even a bit of access to what it wants, you're very likely to drink. Don't give it the option. Just like you kid-proofed your house when your children were little so they wouldn't unknowingly hurt themselves, lizard-proof your life until you've grown into your healthy sober-self who at all times of day will be able to make the right choice.

Like Kensho said, this hard part will pass sooner than it feels like right now. I promise. NS

Comment

Jkm,you can do this! I'm sending you strength LC,NS and all the nesters are awesome right now talking her through this! You guys are rock stars
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thank y'all so much. The lizard brain is screaming right now. I have coke zeo to drink on the way home, i did not borrow any money. Thanks for your support.

Comment

The way to kill that lizard voice is to starve it of the one thing it wants. Drink all the Coke Zero you want - get so full that there's no way to drink anything else. It WILL shut up and give you peace as long as you don't give an inch. Really, imagine dealing with a demanding, cranky toddler. The same tools work!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Jkm, you have already gotten a lot of great advice, listen to your nest mates.
                            One thing that stands out for me is - aren't you afraid of getting pulled over with an open can of AL in your car?? Think about losing your license, not being able to get to work & all that. I know the first days are tough but you are tougher if you choose to be, right?

Eloise, glad you arrived safely.
                            I hope everything falls into place quickly for you

Brydie, I see the SE coast residents have begun evacuating ahead of the storm. What's your plan lady? The storm seems to keep changing direction so I'm not even sure if it's coming this far north,we shall see.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks for the support everyone, one Wednesday going to bed sober. Now to set up Thursday. It was super hard but worth it.

Comment

Yea JK!!! You did it! The rewiring of the brain that NS is talking about happens each time you say no. Different pathways are forged and your brain waves actually learn to redirect themselves. And the more you use certain pathways, the stronger they get until they become the new path of least resistance. Like muscles... The more you say no, f-off alcohol, the stronger your sober muscle becomes. You've been strengthening your drinking muscle for awhile, so your body feels out of sorts changing the habit. And all your feelings may be amplified without the anesthetic of alcohol. That is why the most successful people here had (and still have) a "plan" and tools they implemented at their witching hours. Tools are VITAL for those first few days and then weeks. Distraction is very helpful, and so is eating, and drinking non-al drinks. Some people eat all kinds of sugar and ice cream and that helps, and some read up on "urge surfing". I agree with NS, that if you're serious about quitting you have to get the AL out of your house!!

Great on tonight and enjoy a un-hung morning! You deserve it!
                                Last edited by KENSHO; October 5, 2016, 10:36 PM.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X