Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Nesters.
    Jvo, dreams are crazy, arent they? Glad most of them are NOT true or possible.

Tony, good luck with your travels, you should look up our friend, Mick!
    JustMe, glad you have made the decision about making the decision later! Maybe you can have some peace of mind for a while!
    Hope everyone has an easy day!! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Howdy Nesties. I am in a supremely grumpy mood. We have weird weather, and for some reason, everyone in my family is short tempered. We are going to visit our friends in the mountains tonight, and stay the night. I love them, and love the mountain air at their house, but I am always tempted to drink when I am with them. It's what we used to do. And I don't know why them of all friends tempt me most. But I know that thoughts are fleeting and I have to wake up in the morning and live the consequences of my actions, and I know that alcohol has not made me feel anything positive for a long time. SO why do I think about it?

Anyway, we have to get going, but I thought I'd catch up reading and post quickly.

Justme, I'm sorry you learned you are not able to move, but like you said, at least you feel you've thoroughly looked into it. Things happen as they are supposed to in due time; maybe it's just not the right time. Glad you seem at peace with it.

JVO, hope your dad is improving. I am like your husband - the busybody one, totally get that mindset. Glad you see it as just "different". You seem good.

To everyone else around, send me some strong thoughts and I will be happy to report back to you tomorrow evening when we return. I will be thinking of you and every success you all have through your battles in life - we ALL can make the choice that best serves us, even if we crave short term escape or buzz or whatever. I am hoping cooler air helps my mood too - it's crazy warm here for October, and feels wrong.

Happy Sat. night!!
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

You've got my number, Kensho. Call or text if you need a kick in the shorts! Stay strong amd have a nice time in the mountains! B
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Evening,
          Shopped today. Bought more than we expected...as always. But I'm glad I went as I normally don't go. We went to Bob Evan's for breakfast, then onto Sam's Club where they have all the food samples everywhere on a Saturday. Went to a few more places then home to nap. So glad to be cozying up on my couch and just relaxing this evening. Yes, I'm blowing off any school work tonight. Who corrects papers on a Saturday night? Not me.

Kensho, I can feel your struggle about tonight. It was the way I felt last saturday when I had to go to that wedding, although yours is different. Know that you don't have to focus on the alcohol and you can enjoy your kids and friends. Feel lucky that you won't wake up regretting anything, like not giving others the attention they deserve and only giving alcohol the attention. Strength to you.

Have a safe night all.
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Morning nesters

Our weather here is atrocious for spring. So much, rain, wind and cold still.

Kensho, we drank for so many years that it takes time for our brains to re-adjust, months and months and months. I always say i poured that shite down my throat for ten years plus and if it takes ten years plus to completely stop thinking about it then so be it. I have the tools always in place to say no or avoid situations.

J, sorry to hear about your dad but be positive, those negatives get us nowhere.

I am having a do nothing at all day today. Mads is home and they are trying to get her blood pressure under control first and foremost so i have to check her breathing twice a day and if her heart rate goes through the roof then she needs to be put on oxygen. Hopefully things will settle down now she is home but i know i cant keep her alive by being at the vets constantly and i dont want her distressed with living and breathing.

Just, always think of yourself and you cant go wrong, you know in your heart what is best. Follow that.

Hope you have a nice time away Tony and you took that gate.

Well im going to try and do some course work today, so not in the mood for that one. Maybe i will go food shopping instead.

Lav i hope your daughter is on the mend now.

Take care x
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well the cold & windy weather arrived overnight jusy as promised. Yesterday the AC was on, tonight we have a fire in the fireplace because it's so chilly, haha!

Justme, sorry your plans are on hold. Sometimes we really have to look for the positives in a situation. They are usually there but hidden. Hope you can rest & relax this weekend :hug:

Kensho, you are a non-drinker.....end of story. Don't let past behavior interfere with today.

Ava, we love our older dogs, they are family. I really think they appreciate our efforts
              Don't forget to take care of yourself too.

J-vo, my day tomorrow will probably be a lot like your day was today. Much shopping needs to be done. Being self-employed I have to put my foot down sometimes & refuse to work 7 days per week. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

G, moving forward only, right?

Hello to the rest of the crew & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello all. I've had a rough month, 3 weeks ago my wife and I got a call no parent wants, My 25 year old son was in a horrendous car crash. A kid was driving aggressively passing cars on the shoulder. He decided to try and pass on the left and hit my son head on. My future daughter in law was killed instantly and my son has multiple fractures. He was the only survivor. Two people in the other car were also killed.

Yesterday my wife looked at me with a worried look and asked if I was tempted to drink. It was the first time I thought about it. I pass this entire story along because despite the worst month of my life alcohol wasn't a factor. I can only hope that those of you who may now think that alcohol will always be the dominant issue in your life will come to understand that there will be a time when it isn't even an afterthought. Parents hug your children. Life is so very precious.
                Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

TJ......Good morning to you....firstly,I/we cannot imagine what you are going and gone through...these are only words my friend but they are meant...I am so very sorry for you and your wife,and obviously your son too..
                  Secondly ...thank you for posting this...yes we all think that booze is a biggie and when the wheel comes off in life at times,we will return to previous form...that is not the case ,as you have shown so as you say,life is precious ,a gift lets not waste it ...So for all those out there trying to quit,the next time you get the urge to drink and feel that you cant hack it without a drink..remember TJs story..thanks
                  Last edited by Mick; October 23, 2016, 12:25 PM.
                  af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

I 'm so sorry to hear this TJ. i hope your son will be ok. Take care of yourself. My thoughts are with you and your family, and all involved.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

TJ - my thoughts are with you and your family.
                      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Oh, my TJAF

That is really sad.... no words.
                        Wishing you all the strength you need.

Comment

TJAF, what a very sad story. Please accept my condolences. Thank you for sharing that alcohol wasn't even a factor for you. I was thinking this the other day. Being so early in my sobriety, I didn't think I could take one big blow, one tragic incident and it would set me off down the road to relapse. It's so important to know that we will be able to handle tragic events in life without booze. Strength to you and your family, especially your son.
                          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

TJ, thank you for taking the time to come back and share your story with us. Your response to such tragic news gives hope to all of us as we face the hard parts of life. It is wonderful that you are fully present for your family during this tremendously challenging time. You and your family will be in my thoughts. Take care of yourself, too. :hug: NS

Comment

Hi All

TJAF I am so sorry for you and your family at this time. It is something no parent should have to experience.

This is one of the most powerful motivators that any of us could have in regards to our alcoholism. The example TJAF has shown us. In the face of what has to be one of the toughest life experiences anyone could go through to not escape in the bottle. I had a friend here who experienced the lose of her son in an accident and didn't drink through it. Any time I had the thought of drinking because I wanted to escape what ever, I thought back to my friend. It was the key I needed. Nothing I experienced in my recovery can come near to this situation. The strength my friend showed was the example I needed. Your example will stick with many here.

Again I am so sorry for your loss and hope your son has a successful recovery

KC
                              Last edited by caysea; October 23, 2016, 09:08 AM.
                              Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                              AF 5-16-08

Comment

Oh, TJ. Words fail me :heartbeat:

Comment

Working...
                                X