Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking Dreams...
    It seems as though every night I have them. I had them even when I was drinking. Never good drinking dreams. Why? Because drinking was never a good thing in my life. Alcohol has always been against me. Never a comfort. Last night, I dreamed of being angry at a roomful of people becuase we'd drank the night before, everyone was hungover, but I wanted to drink again that next day. No one agreed with me, thought it was a bad idea. So I was so angry, and I was stealing other people's booze and they got really mad. What a terrible nightmare. Alcohol has no place in my life anymore. I won't let this beast take away anymore of my dignity. Well, I don't know if I have any dignity now, but I hope I will someday.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

TJ, I couldnt believe the awful words I was reading from you. I am so sorry for this horrific and senlesless accident. All of our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you try to recover from this trauma.
      The gift of time away from AL is such a blessing. When tragedy hit my door, I used the very same skills that I learned right here in this nest....one day at a time. I am truly sorry for your family's loss and sending you strength. Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

TJ, all I can add is that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family through this tragedy, and your strength through this is an inspiration to all of us...
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Me, too, TJ.. I am so very sorry for your family's loss.

Comment

My god. I'm so sorry to hear this news TJ. How devastating. There are no words.

Comment

I'm very sorry TJAF
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

TJAF, I'm so sorry for your son and your family. Thank you for sharing your wisdom about how our minds can change with time. This must be a very hard time for you; I'm so glad you have not considered alcohol an option. Good thoughts to you friend.
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Just signed on to check in as I hadn't managed for a few days and see that so many folks are facing so much, but all seem to be coping with the hard times without alcohol - it is sad to read of people facing lifes struggles, but facing them sober is so inspiring!
                  Hugs to everyone for their hardships.

I have just had a really busy few days - and can't wait for the weekend to begin! I think I will have missed it completely!

I have come to the realization this weekend of some bad habits that were starting to form, fall does seem to be a tough time for me - so need to shore up, and stay close to the nest methinks...

Take care one and call, keep up the great work of dealing with all that gets thrown with the strengths that are being learnt here...
                  “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Wow, TJ, I'm blown away. I think I might now understand the phrase, sobering news. Sending love and strength to all involved. Keep in touch as this continues to work on your psyche. This will effect you for a long time, this I know.

Comment

Thank you all. My sons physical wounds will heal and in time spiritually he will be whole again as well. The irony for me is that it is extremely likely that the kid that caused the accident was drunk. I'm horrified when I think that could have been me in a different time.

I really am a bit overwhelmed by the reality that I truely never thought about drinking. It really didn't come in to play. That's hope! I spent many a time doubting my sobriety but when I hit bottom emotionally I didn't even give in a second thought. That's the gods honest truth. Please folks don't give up.
                      Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Hi, Nest:

TJAF - I am so sorry for your son, your family, and the families of those other passengers. There was just an accident in the county south of us where two brothers in their early 20s were killed in a reckless driving situation where alcohol was probably involved. So very scary as my own kids launch on their driving careers. Thanks for sharing, and also for sharing that you weren't looking to alcohol.

I had an amazing weekend away with good friends, good food, hikes, games, etc., and not once did I want to drink either. That is progress as well - I never thought that could happen.

Ava - thinking of you and Mads. xo

Stay safe, everyone.

Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

TJ, I am so terribly sorry to hear this news.
                          I will keep you & your family in my thoughts & prayers.
                          Thank you for coming here & sharing with us. Please continue to take care of yourself, we are all extended family here :hug:

Dring dreams J-vo are annoying but at the same time they are great teaching tools. There's no better way to reinforce your quit IMHO. None of us need AL in our lives.

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest.
                          Thinking about you as well Ava!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by TJAF View Post
                            Thank you all. My sons physical wounds will heal and in time spiritually he will be whole again as well. The irony for me is that it is extremely likely that the kid that caused the accident was drunk. I'm horrified when I think that could have been me in a different time.

I really am a bit overwhelmed by the reality that I truely never thought about drinking. It really didn't come in to play. That's hope! I spent many a time doubting my sobriety but when I hit bottom emotionally I didn't even give in a second thought. That's the gods honest truth. Please folks don't give up.
                            TJ I am so sorry to hear about your son and all others who were involved in the horrific accident. Thank you so much for posting how you dealt with it, it really does give hope to how any one of us would cope in a crisis.

Comment

Good Morning, Nesters..

Some really difficult times here in the Nest.. it's good to see those of you dealing with the pain and all of the emotions involved without the additional stress and heartache that drinking would bring on.

J-vo, I hope your father's health continues to improve..
                              and Ava, I'm praying for little Maddie as well..

G-man, I like what you wrote a while back about preparing mentally for the tough times which are surely coming sooner or later.. we know that we can't predict when and where we'll be affected.. but we will be. Thanks for the reminder..

SL, hope you got a chance to enjoy some of your weekend. Yesterday I had the first day of rest in a long time.. and I had a huge to-do list which I ignored, except for learning Spanish. I might ignore most of it today as well!

ok. I do have some reading to do for work, which I must get on top of. my thoughts are with each and every one of you.. :hug:

Comment

Evening nesters

TJ so sorry to hear about the car accident and the anguish you must be going through. Proud of you for not even a passing thought regards to al. Time gives us strength to deal with life sober.

A stressful day for me. went to work and mads kind of ok and at work for two hours and back to icu for her. I was just devastated and thought the worst. i dont think i have cried (im with you J) so much in the past few days. I have figured one cannot prepare for death, just accept and deal as best we can. Well tonight she is on oxygen and on antibiotics, diuretics, heart meds and she is stable. I told the vet i dont want to keep doing this and she said if meds get sorted she should be fine for however long. So its a just wait and see. This is doable sober, i would hate to imagine what i would be like if i drank.

Thinking of everyone, just exhausted for me but wanted to check in.

take care x
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X