Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good evening Nesters,

WOW, CONGRATS ON 2 YEARS AF ELVIS :yay: :welldone:
    When I first came to MWO & heard people talking about 'Surrendering' & 'Accepting' I have to admit that I didn't really get the concept! Eventually I realized that if we simply gave up fighting what we all know deep down that we need to do then we win!! None of us ever have to pour poison down our throats ever again ~ it's our choice. I am very happy for you!!

Ann, the struggle you speak of really does end when we truly accept what we know we have to do. It may take a few or more attempts but we can all be winners

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Way to go, ELVIS!

I agree with Byrdie - that is a post for the ages. So much of what you said rang true for me. I don't drink. Period. When I am stressed, anxious, celebratory, whatever, alcohol is NEVER a choice. If it comes into my head, yell. I. DON'T DRINK. Once the choice is off the table, it is all so much easier.

So glad to celebrate with you!
      Pav

Comment

Afternoon nesters

Thank god it is Saturday. Short staffed at work, my head dr is on long service leave and i have a new neurologist to train in the ways we do our work. Patience plus which is not really my forte to say the least.

My friend ex is in a coma now so the waiting seems endless and its sad. I found out my ex mother in law has breast cancer and that knocked me for six also, so its been a week but being sober is pretty cool.

Pav those pics are inspiring. I still have my drunk pic which i look at from time to time and it makes me feel grateful i am sober.

Elvis congratulations on 2 years, you are a special part of MWO and i love your posts very much. I am like you, log in to MWO at least twice a day,have it open at work and home. It has gotten me to where i am today and it take no time to be accountable.

My son did some gardening the other day and asked me to get him a beer on my way home. Thinking nothing of it i said yes i will. two hours later i rang him and said "i dont buy alcohol honey, i forgot". He replied with "i was wondering how long it would take you to think of that". I refuse to buy al for anyone and i certainly wont walk into a bottle shop. I know i am strong and i know i wont buy any for myself but i also wont enable my son to drink. I picked him up and he bought his beer. I still have my plans in place and am always accountable in my beliefs now.

Off to the vets with Mads today, this is getting to be very expensive but so worth it.

Congrats Wags on you 100, you write some very wonderful and inspiring and kind posts.

Take care x
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Elvis! So happy to celebrate your success!!

Comment

Happy 2 years Elvis! What a great accomplishment! I look forward to that day. Thanks for your words.

I am working late, but wanted to check in. Work has me crushed this week with deadlines! Good stuff, but I can't want to get it off my plate. Going on a date night with my husband tomorrow night to see a musician we really like; looking forward to that.

Hi to everyone; glad Mads is hangin' in for you AVA! Sleep tight!
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Huge congrats on TWO YEARS AF Elvis!!!
              Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Good afternoon nesters

It occurred to me today that I have to re-build my self. I have to create the person I want to be, deserving of good things.
                No more lying, pretending, outrageous behavior. It has to be a real transformation- and I guess it's going to be interesting to find out who I really am. I think I'm basically good.
                I cannot allow myself to think of where I'd be if I had succeeded years ago with stopping drinking.

I was in therapy 40 years ago to stop. Talk about a slow learner!
                I cannot thank you all enough for being here.

My sister called me last night at 9 or so drunk, telling me stuff I already heard. She thinks that she is coming over on Thanksgiving and we will go out for dinner and drink.
                She actually said that. Hate to break it to you sis but count me out.

I aspire to be able to come here with milestones. I know I can do this.

Ann C

Comment

I feel the same way Ann. Slow learner. But maybe it's not that we're slow learners. This disease is, as they say, cunning and baffling and it lies to us. Tells us that we need it. Addictions are all the same no matter what the addiction may be. The important thing to remember is that we are are here now. The only thing we have to do is get through today. All the other good stuff about rebuilding yourself, I think, will come naturally as we stay sober. We will find out who we really are. It's taken so much of us, our spirit, our love for adventure, and now we will have that chance.

So things didn't go as planned today. I woke up feeling achy and didn't sleep well. Hubby made me soup and I rested. Still taking Dad to dinner but that's all I'm doing for the day. No guilt or remorse for feeling this way, though.

Have a good night all.
                  Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Good stuff here! This is the place to be if you really want to get sober!
                    I was chatting with Ann earlier, remembering that on weekends, I used to start drinking at 10:30am. I wasnt even driving on weekends because I started drinking so early. I cant believe I found this acceptable, all so I could keep precious AL in my life. THOSE are the lies AL tells us. Incredible.

Our clocks fall back tonight, so an extra hour. Woohooo. Hope everyone is having an easy Sattidy. Byrdie
                    Last edited by Byrdlady; November 5, 2016, 06:02 PM.
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                      Good stuff here! This is the place to be if you really want to get sober!
                      Yes Ma'am, right on! This is the hottest thread on the boards. 'Hotter than a pepper sprout' as my ol friends June and Johnny used to say. Talking of hot, what about 85 freakin days sober today from a serial relapser.....yes, me!

Take back your incredibly precious life Ann. It's time. Maybe i'm a slow learner too. It doesn't matter where i coulda, what i coulda, how i coulda done things differently. It doesn't really matter because that is the past and the past is gone. Today is where we are so let's git it. :woohoo2:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi Nesters!
                        I happen to be having an easy Sattiday, Byrdie!
                        I forced myself to go swimming with my youngest daughter at a huge indoor pool.. the whole works with diving boards, waves, slides, etc. I encouraged her to invite a friend and I borrowed my other daughter's one piece so I could dive and have fun.. and guess what? it was fun! 7 hours (ughh!) of fun..:happy2: Now we're trying to stay warm and cozy as it rains and gets uglier by the minute outside.. November is tough here.

Elvis, that was a great post! It has inspired me to freshen up my personal Toolbox and my gratitude list. I still have the loss of a relationship that's hanging heavy on my heart.. and I need to keep in the forefront all the lovely people I have in my life.. friends who WANT to spend time with me. I'm terrible at letting go of people.. but I know it's sometimes necessary. sad.

J-vo, I sure hope you're feeling better soon..nice that Hubs is there to care for you! I'm really happy to be here NOW with you and everyone else in this Nest..

Ann, I really relate to what you're saying .. I agree it's about rebuilding ourselves, learning to trust and love ourselves. It's scary but so exciting at the same time. I have to constantly remind myself to stay in the moment, or at least the day, so as not to overwhelm myself with the past or the future. We ARE doing it now and there's no such thing as "too late" (in my opinion) as long as we are still here and able to do the work, to make the necessary changes. We are fortunate to be figuring it out now rather than next year or never!! Good for you with regards to Tday.. what are your alternative plans?

We don't really celebrate Thanksgiving here but I usually do have a big feast at some point in November with my 4 best friends and their kids.. this year it's on the 18th.. We do it as a potluck type thing where everyone brings something along. I can't think of anything worse at this point than Thanksgiving at my Dad's place.. can't remember a one where I didn't drink and eat way too much.. feeling like a buck o' five for a day or two after..also won't ever forget Pav's Thanksgiving Massacre.. Thanks for the Bored Panda, Pav! Did you see the pictures of the dogs looking for homes? I thought of all you dog lovers.. so cute, I laughed out loud several times! Fashion Photographer Helps Abandoned Dogs Find “Forever Homes” | Bored Panda

Speaking of dog lovers! Ava, there's also NO way I would buy alcohol for anyone.. glad to hear that's still the case for you after nearly 3 years. I'm so looking forward to celebrating with you and Pav.. do you girls like cheesecake with lemon curd topping? I think I've perfected it.. but if not, I'll make something else..

Wishing you all, everyone flying by, lurking, checking in.. a nice weekend.. let's make it one of relaxing and refueling ourselves.
                        Last edited by lifechange; November 5, 2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Hi Nest

Congratulations on two years, Elvis!!

Ava - I haven't thought of NOT buying AL if someone asks. But it is weird to step inside a liquor store after quitting. You gave me something to think about.

We are also having a slow weekend. Watching movies and eating a lot.

Sober weekends are great weekends!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Looking forward to that extra hour we get tonight although I'm sure it won't mean an actual extra hour of sleep for me, ha ha!

85 days G? What?? I am happy for you

Nothing spectacular happening here this weekend & I am perfectly OK with that.
                            Loving the more seasonal temps & pretty leaf colors. Grateful for all of it, believe me!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning folks, what a great thread to be reading to give oneself a positive boost for the tough day ahead, well done everyone, One step at a time.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Congrats on your 85 days, G. That's awesome!

LC, spending time with our daughter at the indoor pool is a great way to celebrate the 'present.' Glad you had fun.

Lav, I'm lovin' this weather. This week, we'll have 60's during the day and 40's at night. Perfect fall weather.

I feel much better today. Well rested and ready to tackle some things I didn't do yesteray. Hubby and I are going to drive down to Oakland to drop off son's new calcualtor. He lost his other one (only a $100!!!) and bought a new one on e-bay so we get to see him today!! A little lunch, maybe a walk around campus on a beautiful day. Perfect.

Have a great day.
                                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                                X