Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

Just a quick check in from me as it's really late here & a school night!!!

I thought I'd share something (not directly related to battling alcoholism) but found quite relevant to me, as the early days can be very tough...

"Character cannot be developed in ease & quiet.
    Only through experiences of trial & suffering
    Can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared,
    Ambition inspired and success achieved. Helen Keller

Wishing all a safe & sober Sunday
    LS
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wildflower.
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
    And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Hey narilly- thanks for your comment. It made me realize that I never did early appointments either on Saturdays. So many little things that add up to so much!

I hope everyone has a great week. I'm working from 11:30 am to 8 pm.
      That used to be my shift to go out and be stupid since on that schedule I can work from home. Phone support si could actually sleep ( or weep) between calls.
      Now I exercise early and feel great

Ann C

Comment

Hi Nest!
        I am here for my 30 day check in! Feeling pretty good too! Had a long trip today to a birthday party and then a dinner party in the evening. There was drinking going on but not nearly as much as I imagined. In the past, I would have had drinks at both places. I would have thought everyone was drinking. I would have thought I was blending in and that my drinking was not that noticeable.
        Instead I had a very nice time interacting with my family, the kids, and was able to drive everywhere I needed to.
        When I got to the dinner party I trhought for sure that was going to be hard because that is a group of people that I generally drink a lot with. The host makes his own moonshine and likes to pass it around. But I was ok. I still had fun and nobody was really drinking. Everyone nursed their one or two drinks for the evening. I had iced tea and I didn't die.
        People are commenting on how good I look. How bright my face is. How much I am laughing.
        Thank you everyone for being here.
        Day 1 again 11/5/19
        Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
        Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
        Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
        11/27/19: messed up but back on track
        12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Getting chilly around these parts, soon winter will be here in full force.
          We may even see some snowflakes tomorrow & rain likely most of the coming week, oh boy!

Narilly, stay warm & be careful out there, Brrr.

Justme, glad your party went well for you & your kids

Byrdie, the cookies were beautiful!!!!

Hello to everyone & sending wishes for a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Lav - just wanted to drop by the nest and say hello. Snow!?! Wow!

Nursie - congrats on 30 days! So very happy for you. Major accomplishment. :hug:

SL - I'm sorry about your scare regarding your Dad. I absolutely understand how hard it is to be far away. I am sorry.

Speaking of doing things early in the morning. I went and had a massage at 9:00 am. I didn't have to worry about booze smell coming out of my pores.

Congratulations everyone on doing this!
            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi, all:

Busy weekend - the first of many holiday parties today. A lunch where three of us weren't drinking - two of "us" and one who just isn't interested. It is so interesting to see the booze at a lunch.

NARILLY! So happy to see you, my friend. I knew you weren't drinking, and I am so proud of you for checking in when you know you needed a tune up. I wasn't posting much at all and came back when my thoughts were wandering more than usual... It is good to be back here with these peeps, although it is moving so fast here I can't keep up. I cleaned my sheets today, too, and always think of you (and I also ate ice cream!) Stay warm.

Justme - Awesome story. That's what I meant in my speech about more strength and more confidence. Keep it up!

Lav - I had a friend in high school whose brother caught a parasite and lost 30 pounds. It was scary for the family, but when all was ok we used to joke about the money he could make if he could put that parasite in a pill and sell it! I hope your husband can eat enough to keep his strength up - I'm sure you'll get him back eating again! Don't forget to take care of yourself while you're taking care of the rest of your family (feathers and all).

I have more comments for all of you, but have to make the choice to go to bed.

xo
              Pav

Comment

Good morning nesters, another busy morning for me.

I was at a party last night with my boss, I had to drive him, So I decided to stay, we all had a lovely meal & of course the alcohol was flowing, I am well gone past the stage of being around alcohol having an effect on me, but one does have to be aware.

Anyway isent it amazing the way alcohol changes people, Now everyone was in happy funny mood & when the dancing started, well I never, Some of the moves being done were hilarious, not that I even would walk across the dance floor.

I could only last for about 3 hours then I left & went for a walk before going back to my room, I still can't nor do I wish to be around alcohol fueled party's for to long.

It seems it went until 4 this morning & there is not a person to be seen around,I still waiting for my boss, it sure does be great to be sober clean & happy now.. Just thought I share.

Have a nice happy positive day everyone.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Good Monday morning,

Got great sleep last night, and that's always a plus for a Monday.

Pav, I think more people don't drink that we thought. I know some people who don't drink at all and some that can really just have one or two. No holiday parties for me this year. It's at a bar, so I won't be attending.

Mario, those people are gonna feel like poop today and maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder of where that would take us, even worse, more humiliation, regrets, and more. After you went to bed, can you imagine the antics that were taking place. I can!

Have to shower, so have a good Monday.
                  Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi all,
                    Darn it, just lost a post,Now I'm running late for work. All is good.
                    Happy Monday nesters.

Comment

Good Morning, Nesters!
                      Quick Monday morning check in here. It's cold and rainy here, makes my bones ache! I'd rather have a few achy bones than the self-loathing of an AL-fueled evening. Mario, thank you for the vivid reinactment of The Holiday Party! Yikes....parties ARE do-able, but I don't feel the need to be the first one to arrive and the last one to leave anymore! Small doses is the key! Nothing good happens after 9:30! Bahahaha! Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Checking in Monday morning.

I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS to Nursie! Way to go - onward and upward.

Mario - when I see hungover people I am SO GRATEFUL I don't drink. I actually don't mind hanging around a drinking party and dancing a bit - but I am not the last to leave any more, thankfully. I almost feel "superior" when I don't have a hangover the next day!

Happy Monday, nest.

Pav

Comment

Hi Nest

SL - Glad you made the best of the weekend, although you were dropped by your ex. And I hope your dad will be ok.

LS - thanks for the inspiring quote!

Nursie - you did it!! Congrats on your 30 days!:welldone:

Lav - how is your husband doing today?

Today was just a Monday. Glad it is over. I want to get to the fun part of December now...

Comment

Good morning! It's lovely reading all of your posts from the weekend.

Friday I did binge on junk food but I don't care. I'm sure I was still under the 2500-3300 calories I used to consume nightly with my 6 pack and, at the end, 1/5th of whiskey.

Have a great day everyone.
                            The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Good tuesday morning from over here nesters.

Happy 30 days booze free Nursie! You Raaawk star!

Must be day 115 but i never been one fo' countin'. Go with the thoughts that make you feel good. Leave the others to themselves. L8tr g8trs.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Congratulations, Nursie! That's a big milestone and you should be proud.

Lav, hope your DH is feeling better and eating some now.

SL, been thinking of you. Have you looked into a trip home yet? I know this time of year the flights are insane. I hope you can take that trip. Stay strong. Do you facetime or skype?

It was a productive day at work, and I know that's because I had a clear head and a good night's sleep. Everything is always better at work when I am not dragging ass. I'm practicing when I have bad thoughts about my past, to quickly replace with a good thing that is going on with me right now. I wrote down four things at work. I tend to get down on myself and my lonesome alcohol filled life. But now I have each day to pay attention to everything around me that is not alcohol filled. I think that's called being grateful! You know, it does take work, and it almost sounds silly that being grateful is work, but if you aren't used to doing it, it does take energy to remember to do it. I should set my alarm on my phone to ring once an hour and either write something or think something good. I think I may do that. My students will ask...why is your phone goin off!? And I'll say, "lucky for you it isn't yours!!"

Have a good night all.
                                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                                X