No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking in from New Year's party at my brother's house. Some people are ready drunk. Some people not drinking at all. I was really nervous in the beginning, I wanted to drink so bad. I probably would have drank honestly if I wasn't on the antabuse. But this is why I take the antabuse, so I don't drink when I have a lapse in judgement! I got my non al drinks and some people kept asking me why I wasn't drinking. (Drunk people do that!) finally I just said "I am drinking!" Lol because I am drinking seltzer hahaha
    Playing board games with he kids while the drinkers are playing a drinking game.
    We will be leaving in the next hour as people are getting loud.
    I am happy to be sober, my belly is full and I'm having fun with my family.
    I will drive home completely sober and not worry about getting pulled over.
    Happy New Year!
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Nursie - wonderful. We are having a quiet evening here. If I'm not awake at midnight it will be because I wanted to go to bed, not because I passed out.

Happy New Year
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Same as us here Nora, bedtime will be 9:30, read my book till 10 or 10:15, then lights out. My kind of party animal now lol.
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Happy New Year, MWO-ers!

2.00pm New Years Day here - phew, am I glad that's over! DH had The Usual Suspects over for NYE. They're a great bunch, but very much into Al. I ended up eating a ridiculous amount of chocolate and sweets, but it got me through...And no hangover, no struggling to remember what happened and no regret, just a profound gratitude for my sobriety.

Hope everyone's doing okay; we made it! If anyone didn't stay sober, don't beat yourself up. Keep at it 'til your quit sticks. You won't be sorry.

love and strength to all,
          Steady
          AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Happy New Year everyone! So glad to be sober for another New Years Eve. I am looking forward to starting 2017 with No hangover. I did stay up till midnight to my surprise though. I thought I'd be in bed early like you Cowboy..

Really sorry about your parent situation LS, I can't imagine how hard that is. Nora C, I agree, it's so nice to go to sleep and not just pass out!
            Glad you didn't drink Nursie., it's good you have something that works for you.

Hi El, it is nice to hear from you. I hope things are going well. I have the Lino cut in my family room. I love it.

Have a great Jan 1st everyone and stay sober!
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good morning nesters & a happy new year to you all.

A few question's to ask ourselves ?

When we came here was I a desperate person ?

Was I so sick of myself & my way of life that I couldn't stand looking at myself in a mirror.

Was I ready to try anything that would help me get sober & get over my soul sickness.

I answered yes to all them question's.

Let start this New year with more determination & strength to get to where we want to be, Lets do the hard work & reap the many many benefits, I have not met one person who has regretted there abusive drinking life, not one.

lets go folks & don't quit quitting.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Right on Mario. Happy new year friends.

Good on you LS for day 2 and for just being you.

Big waves and love to all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good Morning, Nesters and Happy New Years!
                  I'm very happy that I had the Nest to hang out in last night. Being alone wasn't so bad. The entire time it was clear in my mind that it's exactly what I needed. I went to bed around 10 with earplugs in but was awakened at midnight by the fireworks.. they were doing it up at the park across the street like I've never seen so I got to see a beautiful show from my balcony. I'm also not into NYE, but what are you gonna do?

LS, I'm sorry about your parents. What an immensely stressful and worrisome situation. I'm glad that you won't be ditching this place and I think your plan to formulate a new crisis plan is a great idea and exactly what I will also be doing today. It's top on my list after checking in here.
                  All of the posts last night were so helpful..
                  Pav, you're right that it's so necessary to have a real Plan! I realized I don't really have one. I've been flying by the seat of my pants, so to say, thinking that as long as I worked on trying to be in the right state of mind the rest would take care of itself.
                  I was also somehow under the impression that not drinking would be "easier" this time. I don't really know why.
                  Mario, I can easily answer yes to all of those questions, too. I am willing to work harder and to be more committed and to make more changes to ensure success.
                  Not just Accepting, but embracing a new way of life. Love that, AB.

Last night I practiced sitting through discomfort and sadness. And it did pass. It was uncomfortable but not unbearable.
                  I am the newest Newbie in this moment. I am starting over from ground zero with a completely open mind.. keeping the few things I've learned along the way, but otherwise completely open to seeing with new eyes what is necessary and willing to do whatever it takes.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and love. Big fat hugs to you..
                  Last edited by lifechange; January 1, 2017, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Nar! Hey, Happy sober New Year!
                    So glad you are still enjoying the linoleum cut, how is your little star wiener?!
                    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hi Nest,

Happy New Year to you all

Lifechange, I can fully recommend making a plan, in my experience the old adage failing to prepare is preparing to fail, this time I have been sure to follow through with all my ideas for my recovery and so far it seems to be holding up! I have just started using Google Calendar which I can access on my laptop or on my phone and I have entered all my AA meetings and my new swimming exercise plan along with other events so I can keep track of where I am with it all and I don't lose focus
                        One day at a time - this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering...

Comment

Happy New Year,nesters! Off to the grocery store before everyone else wakes up,have a great day
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Mario - spot on with the questions. When I came here (in 2016 and in 2014) I was answering "yes" to all of them. So glad to say that's not the case now. Thanks for nudging some self-reflection and for sharing your own insights.

LS - The situation with your parents, and the recent experiences you've helped them both through, sound terribly stressful and saddening. I really feel for you. I would say few of us are well-equipped to be caregivers of any sort for our parents, and it's especially hard when there are multiple issues and they all seem to hit at once. I'm sending you strength and courage to both continue your care for them and also to find ways to care for yourself. Be gentle with yourself, and stay focused on the fact that al will do nothing to make of this easier, despite its allure as an escape. That is a mirage that doesn't really exist. A clear head and a healthy body are your best friends right now, and you deserve both. :hug:

LC - Good on you for sitting through the discomfort and sadness - that can be tremendously challenging, but is a skill worth developing. That's one of the things I'm working on myself. I can see why you would have thought that quitting might be easier this time around - I think that's one of the lies that al tries to tell us all. In my experience, it is mostly harder with each new quit, especially during the early days. After some significant time (months?), it may in fact become easier for you. It has for me with this quit, but that didn't kick in until at least 50 or 60 days, and it might have been more like 100+. Protect your quit fiercely, put together a plan (tool box, ask for suggestions here, etc), and stick tight to the nest. You've got this!
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Happy 2017 Everyone!

I'm so grateful to be starting today with my only regret being too much ice cream and cheesecake last night. I rarely eat sweets like that, but I gave myself permission on this one night to have any other treats I wanted as a way to ensure I wouldn't indulge in al. Today I'm back on the clean eating wagon and grateful for my clear head and un-hungover body.

I hope everyone will check in today, even if only briefly.

Have a great day/evening!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Happy New Everyone! So glad to wake up Un Hung- it is amazing. Pauly- the first one at the grocery store, you go!

My daughter's birthday is today and just a few years ago I was so hungover on her birthday that I had to leave supper and go puke in the toilet (a few times). I had ordered Chinese and there were about 15 people over at our house to celebrate my daughter's birthday. I was SO hungover, it was disgusting. Today I am taking her to a movie and then Sushi and I am feeling GREAT!! Oh yeah baby

Life, just take it one day at a time. I keep a few stories of my drunk nights in my iphone and read them sometimes when I get the urge to drink. That helps me alot. Last night I had a fleeting thought that I would like to drink and I quickly dismissed it and turned on a good show. Just letting those thoughts float by and not grabbing on to them is a good idea- I think G, NS, and a few others have said this before.

Wags- Ice Cream and Cheesecake sounds just right!
                                Mad on Mehdi- swimming really helped me at the beginning of my sobriety, it is so relaxing.

Howdy Cowboy! Its freaking cold outside and there was a big dump of snow last night. I am loving it actually and am going out to shovel right now.

JVo- hope you are ok girl.

Have a great 1st day of 2017 everyone and stay sober!
                                Last edited by narilly; January 1, 2017, 12:03 PM.
                                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X