No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy sober Friday everyone. I'm tired today. I too am self employed so work as much as I can. But I will Definitely take tired over hung over.
    I'm going through a bit of a rough patch. The one year anniversary of my breakup and X is really pressuring me to sign divorce papers. He wants me to hurry up and I need to get them looked at by a professional because he drew them up and they areally all messed up. My daughter really let me have it last night about caving into pressure and doing something that might be bad for my future. Sigh....
    But I'm sober and the sun is shining. I'm able to go to work. I don't have to worry about what's for dinner tonight. It's whatever I. want. My car is in good shape. My dogs are all healthy and happy. The Sun is really shining today.....and it's Mardi Gras time. I'm sure there are other things to be grateful for but that's just off the top of my head.
    Welcome Ready and Zanne
    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Hi all - breezing by - sick girls, they have that horrid bug, so trying to keep them going and keep me healthy.
      Then all this rain and trying to drive on roads that are falling to pieces as the rain washes them away (including major freeways) - not enough hours in the week!
      Hanging in though and getting through sober Feb without too much of a struggle.
      Hope all are well, and sticking to their goals - hope to find time to read back this weekend...
      “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Hi all,
        Hope everyone is having a nice Friday? Im all out of sorts - posting at the wrong time, I'm a stickler for routine!
        Welcome to MWOF Zanne, that sounds a very hard time you had with your health recently. Great to hear you did well with your training and councelling - sounds like a very rewarding career :happy2: Wishing you all the best!
        Hi Ready & Welcome to MWOF too! I think you sound great on day 10 well done! I just started AA at the beginning at January, I find it helpful because the people are lovely & it's beneficial being with like minded folk, but I feel a bit of a fraud because I am not overly into the program itself! Lol so we shall see!
        Congratulations Kensho on 6 months! That's awesome :heartbeat: & it wonderful to hear in your post that you feel worth it, very inspiring x
        JVo, sorry to hear your son so sad. It's hard to see them suffer & feel powerless to help. Being there for him like you are is the best thing you can do & he will benefit so much from it, thinking of you all x
        Your kicking AL butt on day 9 peanut, well done!
        Roobs, that's great you're nearly at 90 days, you are doing so well!
        It's great to hear you all moving on & makes me happy hearing x
        Nursie, hope you've a lovely birthday xxx
        LB, sorry you are having a tough time :hug: your very wise taking your time with your papers. Take your time and it is not your responsibility if he drew them up himself & he us not a professional. There is nothing wrong with taking care of yourself x Aw, try not to worry about what your daughter thinks (easier said than done!) & do what's right for you & what you can manage x
        Hi SL, sending cyber chicken soup to you all!
        Waves to everybody else!
        Wishing all a safe & sober Friday
        LS
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wildflower.
        Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
        And eternity in an hour.

Comment

TGIF, or as Available says, TFIF! Bahahaha!
          Great to read everyone's wonderful progress! Keep up the hard work, I promise, its worth it. Not thinking about AL at all? Priceless!
          Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

So nice to logon & see happy newbies doing their best to keep the beast away

As one of the original nest moms I will gladly make a huge pot of chicken soup for everyone to share. (NO, don't look at the chicken in my avatar, ha ha). This time of year is rough with flu & all sorts of viruses going around. I hope everyone takes extra special care this weekend.

LB, stay happy, healthy & positive! Don't let your X back you into any corners with anything. Definitely find a lawyer or mediator to look after your interests :hug:

Nursie, I hope your headache goes away soon.

Peanut, I started MWO by downloading & reading the book. I purchased the hypno CDs & used them daily. I used my own vitamin supplements & avoided the kudzu (allergy concerns). Most of all I made a good working plan for myself using ideas in the Tool box.

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello all. Well I had my 6 month checkup. 4 years ago, 4 months before I quit drinking, I stepped out of my Doctors office with the following. My liver test was off the charts abnormal (I had to have an ultrasound to make sure I didn't have liver cancer) my glucose levels fasting was close to 200. My blood pressure was 160 over 110 My cholesterol was close to 200. My good cholesterol was low and my bad cholesterol was high. My A1C was 7.5. My stomach hurt all the time. I was bordering on pancreatitis. I wasn't sleeping and I was starting to have serious short term memory loss...oh yeah and I was drinking a fifth of vodka a day. What a difference 4 years makes...my A1C is nearly normal. My fasting blood sugar levels are around 100. My cholesterol level is 110 (good cholesterol is high, bad low) My blood pressure was 120 over 85. My stomach lining is back to normal and my liver function test is normal. I'm sleeping better and while I still struggle with lasting memory loss its not as bad as it was. I'm walking 5 miles a day and while I'm taking the same meds I was taking 4 years ago I'm hopeful that in a year ill be off the blood pressure and diabetes meds. I've lost 20 pounds (now that the sugar cravings are going away) It's a miracle and it's one that all of you will experience the longer you stay sober.
              Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Morning nesters,

Lost soul,l long ago I was a regimental time keeper & everything had to be done on my timescale, If for what ever reason I was put out it would throw me into a panic, It was a nightmare even though I didn't realise it at the time. I much more relaxed & chilled now :-) I just adopted slowly.

I enjoying my ay today & I hope you all do to :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Mario, thank you for this nugget!
                  have a good day folks & use what ever tools that work for you & there are many ways out of our hell.
                  TJAF - I am so happy for your very positive medical report. You have taken your life back! While it sometimes gets to me that I have this disease (e.g. the whole, why can't I be a normal drinker, waa waa's), you are living proof that it is a disease that can be managed with good habits. That gives a lot of hope. Thank you.

Comment

Happy sober weekend nesters. It's a Great feeling waking up on Saturday morning with out a hangover and the promise of a weekend with No regrets. Enjoy!!
                    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

You've got that right, Lil Beagle! Nothing like waking up with no regrets!
                      TJAF, I was in the very same boat, I had NO IDEA how AL was affecting my organs and body. If you think about pouring vodka on an orchid every day, it certainly wouldnt take long to kill it. It effects every cell in out bodies. Congrats on that great doc visit.
                      (notice I used Affect in one place and Effect in the other, one of them is bound to be right).

Action, I was just struck by something you said....how so many of us have pleaded with the Powers Above, 'Why cant I be a normal drinker?' What a ridiculous statement that must be TO a normal drinker. Normal drinkers dont pray about AL. Wow, what a wake up call. It seems so stupid now that I have distance from AL, to have it control so many aspects of our lives. Now, it is the enemy and I want nothing to do with it. As Robert Redford once said to me in a dream, 'That stuff'll kill ya'. *swoon*
                      Thank you for that reminder that I dont drink....NOT one, NOT ever! Byrdie
                      Last edited by Byrdlady; February 11, 2017, 10:50 AM.
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Happy sober Saturday everyone. So glad to wake up 'Un Hung' today. Every Saturday that I wake up with no hangover is a good day. I could have never imagined getting up before 9 or 10 on a Saturday because I was always hungover or sort of hungover. Now I get up bright and early, have a coffee and enjoy feeling good.

AL would have killed me. I would have been another person who died early because my liver or heart failed and it would have been because of my AL consumption.

Talk soon,
                        xo
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Got a run in this morning as the rain has stopped for a couple of days - not doing great but better than nothing.

My running group had a trial yoga session last week - my first ever attempt - oh boy, so NOT flexible here. I have signed up and had my first real session today - I think it will be good for my arthritis (and old age come to that) - so we will see. So a 3 mile run, and an hour yoga before 9:30 on a Saturday -obviously not drinking here!!

Have a list of 'to do's' but lacking motivation - better get going or it will hang over me all weekend....

See you on a sober Sunday...
                          “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Good Saturday evening Nesters,

We had a nice sunny day around these parts, yay!

TJ, great job on your vastly improved health! I am sure you are one grateful fellow these days. Keep up the great work

SL, I'm afraid the flexibility just goes as we age but I believe if we stay as active as we possibly can we are doing ourselves a huge favor. Maintaining balance & lower leg strength will help prevent falls & injuries. Exercising early on a Saturday morning is something to be proud of for sure

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all,
                              Hope everyone is well, it is cold (for us!) And windy here in N.Ireland at the moment - a super start to half term holidays...haha!
                              TGAF, it's great to hear you are so much better and how your health has improved so much since quitting drinking - really pleased for you :welldone: You too Byrdie, and we are all the better to have you here, are you feeling better?
                              Lav, I'm so sorry, but I laughed when I read your post about not looking at your chicken in your avatar! Cheered me up!
                              Aw, thanks Mario - I hear you about relaxing & chilling, but have to maintain a constant low level of routine with my two being 5 & 10 years and being on my own! It's a means to an end as with young dependant folk, the better I organise my time the more time I can spend on fun stuff & relaxing, haha! Mind you, it doesn't seem like much at times but they'll be grown soon enough & I will have plenty of time on my hands & miss this time
                              Lovely to hear everyone settling down to a AF weekend, hope it is calm & peaceful x
                              Wishing all a safe & sober Saturday
                              LS
                              To see a world in a grain of sand
                              And a heaven in a wildflower.
                              Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                              And eternity in an hour.

Comment

So late for a check in but I am here!!

Byrdie- affect is a verb and effect is a noun! So your cookies affect me by making me hungry. But the effects of the cookies are making me fat! Hahahaha

So today was my birthday party. I had a wonderful time with wonderful friends! My drink of choice was ginger ale with cherries in a martini glass and it was very festive! Some people had a couple of drinks and most did not! Nobody asked me why I was not drinking. They all knew I quit so there was nobody I had to explain it to. My one friend told me she was very proud of me.
                                There were balloons, delicious food, so much laughter and so much love.
                                I had a weird feeling after is was over, like I was sad it was over maybe. I wished I had gotten more pictures with people, and I wished I was thinner in my pictures, second guessing a few things. But I certainly did not drink nor did I have a need to.

Then later my stepdaughter and I hung out together. We talked a lot and got a snack and talked about everything under the sun. She really had a great day. But a little while ago she came into my room again and was crying in my arms about her mom. So I tell her to climb in bed and I hold her just like I did when she was little and I let her cry and tell me everything that hurts. Her mom is mentally ill and cannot provide her with unconditional love or predictable love. She threatens her, she calls her names, she sends the police to our house, she calls her phone 50 times unless she is blocked. So stepdaughter goes through phases of anger, resentment, withdrawal, and profound sadness that her mom can't give her what she needs.
                                I know that feeling because my mom was bipolar and an addict.
                                So I give her all my hugs and I let her cry into my shirt, and I stroke her hair and after awhile she is smiling and laughing again even if just for awhile.

Again, a good day not ruined by alcohol. I am predictable, I am safe, and I am consistent. My family relies on that and it feels good to be myself again. They love to see me singing and dancing in my apron, cooking up a storm and dancing with my husband in the middle of the kitchen floor. I'm still just as funny, loud and boisterous as I always have been. I'm just not hammered anymore.
                                Tomorrow is my actual birthday and I think the kids are making me breakfast in bed!!!

I see no reason to ever drink again. There is nothing that would be worth ruining this peace in my heart. This is the serenity that I have prayed for.
                                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X