No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nursie! So happy for you! And have a wonderful birthday!!

Comment

Happy Birthday, Nursie!!!! What a wonderful post. :hug: :heartbeat:
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Good morning nesters & a very big happy birthday to you Nora & thanks for saying this ...........I see no reason to ever drink again. There is nothing that would be worth ruining this peace in my heart. This is the serenity that I have prayed for.,,,,I can so relate to that.

You know what nesters, years ago I thought if I had the big house & cars I be happy, then when I got them I thought if I had a bigger house & cars for wife n me & have holidays I be happy, then when I had all that I thought I am still not happy, all during this time I was supposedly chilling out with my addiction every night & sometimes dasy to get me through, but I still wanted more & I still wanted to be happy.

It was not till I understood after years of searching and going through major ups & downs & in coming to terms with my addiction 7 understanding it, that I can now say I am happy, I don't have the big house nor big cars but I am more happy now then I ever was & that's saying something.

have a great day folks.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Wow , Been on the site a year now on the 9th of Feb. Had some good sober runs last year and now on Day 1. Looking to do better this year . Booking in to get some sleep studies as I was still stuffed even after 40 days of not drinking or smoking

Comment

Originally posted by Nursie View Post
            So late for a check in but I am here!!

Byrdie- affect is a verb and effect is a noun! So your cookies affect me by making me hungry. But the effects of the cookies are making me fat! Hahahaha

So today was my birthday party. I had a wonderful time with wonderful friends! My drink of choice was ginger ale with cherries in a martini glass and it was very festive! Some people had a couple of drinks and most did not! Nobody asked me why I was not drinking. They all knew I quit so there was nobody I had to explain it to. My one friend told me she was very proud of me.
            There were balloons, delicious food, so much laughter and so much love.
            I had a weird feeling after is was over, like I was sad it was over maybe. I wished I had gotten more pictures with people, and I wished I was thinner in my pictures, second guessing a few things. But I certainly did not drink nor did I have a need to.

Then later my stepdaughter and I hung out together. We talked a lot and got a snack and talked about everything under the sun. She really had a great day. But a little while ago she came into my room again and was crying in my arms about her mom. So I tell her to climb in bed and I hold her just like I did when she was little and I let her cry and tell me everything that hurts. Her mom is mentally ill and cannot provide her with unconditional love or predictable love. She threatens her, she calls her names, she sends the police to our house, she calls her phone 50 times unless she is blocked. So stepdaughter goes through phases of anger, resentment, withdrawal, and profound sadness that her mom can't give her what she needs.
            I know that feeling because my mom was bipolar and an addict.
            So I give her all my hugs and I let her cry into my shirt, and I stroke her hair and after awhile she is smiling and laughing again even if just for awhile.

Again, a good day not ruined by alcohol. I am predictable, I am safe, and I am consistent. My family relies on that and it feels good to be myself again. They love to see me singing and dancing in my apron, cooking up a storm and dancing with my husband in the middle of the kitchen floor. I'm still just as funny, loud and boisterous as I always have been. I'm just not hammered anymore.
            Tomorrow is my actual birthday and I think the kids are making me breakfast in bed!!!

I see no reason to ever drink again. There is nothing that would be worth ruining this peace in my heart. This is the serenity that I have prayed for.
            A very happy birthday nursie. What a beautiful post! I'm especially inspired by the part where you say you're still the same - just not plastered. That is what I pray for daily. To be dependable. For my family to know I'll be there for them sober!
            Currently at the airport waiting for a flight. First time in ages I'm not having a cocktail! I was dreading it during the week, but by yesterday, I was like - I don't drink. It's just a fact of my life now. I'm not even debating with myself anymore. Like what Mario says. This is way better. Had a showdown with hubby Friday. I felt he was becoming overbearing. He says it's all because of my drinking. Long story short - there's still so much uncomfortable stuff I need to work out. But he did apologize - which is big for me. And also - I stood up for myself. Which is also big. In the past I'd have probably just pretended I was fine and had another glassa! Afraid to confront or challenge him. Now I was afraid ,but I spoke up. Progress. Baby steps!! Sorry to go on an on! Have a blessed Sober Sunday!!
            :sohappy:

Comment

Evening nesters

Happy birthday nursie, i am so glad you had a lovely day. We are all prone to overthinking a situation and 99% of the time there is no reason to.

Martha, i had a run in with my man today and i was actually logical and sane. I did tell him to get his shit together or i would walk and i refuse to stress myself out anymore due to other people. There is nothing that will jeopardise my sobriety and stress is a huge trigger for us alkies. I came home from his house with my head held high and feeling proud that i finally love myself enough to not be walked over. i know how i want and need to be treated and if he cant do that then i am happy to be single. We need to be accountable but they also need to admit when they are wrong and not blame what we were. This man has never seen me drink so has no idea what drunk me was like, lucky him i say.

Neo my sleep was screwed for 6+ months but i figured i put al into my body for 10 years so i had to give my body time to heal. The constant headache i had for 5 weeks was the worst but now i sleep 8 hours and i am happy with that. 5 sober sleep hours i was grateful for, well 2 hours in the beginning but i knew the end result would be worth it.

TJ they some amazing results. I have done damage to my kidneys but there is not much i can do about that but not drink, everything else is fine and dandy which i am grateful for also. I even like having a blood test now.

Had a lovely day with my son, he is drinking again so another talk is on the cards. i suppose he hopes he can moderate but he cant. we did go to the gym and had a laugh. Its good bonding time together.

Take care x
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

now 10 PM on my 1st AF night and anxiety set in. Just had 5mg of Valium .I wouldn't recommend quitting without it .Need to be alive for tomorrows roll call post lol

Also going to trial an auto CPAP machine. I heard they are great for alcoholics or people trying to quit and get a good nights sleep

Now an hour later I feel nice and relaxed and not going to die
                Last edited by Neo; February 12, 2017, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Nursie & J-Vo!!
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Gosh, 2 big birthdays! HAppy Birthday, Nursie ans J-Vo!
                    Nursie, I appreciate the Affect and Effect lesson. I overthink it. I ponder too much on the phrase 'side effects' and I can make it go either way so I err on the side of the E. Oy. So glad your party went well. I have often said, that the 'Party You' is still in there, YOU just have to decide to bring it out instead of letting AL. The good news is that with the new editing tool that goes along with being sober, there are fewer incidents of making an ASS out of oneself! A WIN-WIN!

Neo, glad to see your new commitment. You will never regret getting sober, its the new black!
                    Hope everyone has an easy Sunday! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

GAME all!

Welcome Ready and Zanne!

Kensho – Congrats on 6 big months.

Peanut – Welcome back. I’ve been taking Full Specrum Kudzu with St. John’s and I know that’s been helpful now that I’ve been remembering to order it in time, and then remembering to take it. Not sure about the rest but there are similarities between meditation and self-hypnosis and both are extremely beneficial. (Meditation vs. Self Hypnosis - Are They the Same Thing? )For myself I go with meditation but have tinkered a bit with self-hypnosis.

Nursie – Sounds like you’re really doing great. So happy for you. Happy birthday.

Two weeks and still sleep is elusive but at least what sleep I do get is ACTUALLY sleep. Left an unplugged weekend in the Catskills early because of all the talk of snow only to get back to Jersey and ….. nothing. Oh well, it be’s that way sometimes. Another day glad to be a non-drinker.

Happy AF Sunday.
                      “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                      Newbies Nest Roll Call
                      Toolbox
                      Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Hi all,
                        Hoping you are having a cosy Sunday :happy2: It seems a bit quiet, so perhaps a dirty weekend away? All quiet here...as far as AL is concerned, it has left the building & am not missing it! So pleasantly relaxed & nice & calm.
                        Nursie, glad you had a nice time & your party went so well. Your step daughter is very lucky yo have you & lovely to hear you are enjoying your sobriety so much x
                        Neo, I am sorry to hear you are back on day one. The 'red pill' is a tough 'effing pill to swallow at times & not everyone finds what works for them first time AF. It's really a credit to you that you keep trying & are determined to find your way out. I hope you feel better soon x
                        Marthadan, go you! Assertiveness classes teach people to say no, not yes so well done for standing up for yourself x
                        Ava, glad your enjoying time with your son x I am sorry to hear he is drinking again I hope your chat goes well & know your support counts for so much when he realises and is ready x
                        Orimus - Great going on your 2 weeks :heartbeat:
                        Wishing all a safe & sober Sunday
                        LS
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wildflower.
                        Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                        And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We keep getting weather advisories but nothing is happening, just as well, ha ha!

Orimus, great job on your two AF weeks!
                          It took a very long time for me to start sleeping half decently. I did eventually start taking some herbal supplements & that helped some. Some of these things just take time, hang in there.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Nursie & j-vo!!!
                          Glad you enjoyed your party Nursie. Hope you enjoyed the weekend too j-vo.

Ava, I am glad to hear that you stood up for yourself. Relationship troubles can be so rough, I know. I hope your son decides to give AL the boot once & for all.
                          Marthadan, you are sounding quite strong yourself

Wishing everyone a comfy & safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning nesters, busy day for myself in work, everything going well in my life, I can't remember how long it has been since I had this totall & clear control over what I am doing. It feels overpowering in the strength I have.

Hope you all have a good day folks & wondering about Mr G , hope he ok no matter what...

Comment

I had a dream the other night folks, I was back drinking, it was so real, In the dream I knew I shouldent be drinking but I thought I could have a few, next day in my dream I was screaming for a drink & shouting at everyone I told yis I couldn't stop and I was also heartbroken that I couldn't say I had so much recovery time . It was horrible , Glad to have woken up clean n sober. Pesky dreams.

Comment

It never gets better. Decided to clean up (drink) last drinks in fridge when should have put them in bin. Even 1 drink I have to be honest in roll call for myself and reset .A bad real dream for me today.. Honestly, You want to quit, you need to throw (give away) drinks and chuck smokes at same time (night) you want to quit. Idiot for thinking I could have 1+ sitting in fridge each time while trying to quit ,especially the first few days . 1 Day strong and know that I can't even have 1 sitting in fridge while quitting .Only fooling myself and noone else .Will sit roll call out today when I wake up to myself
                                Last edited by Neo; February 13, 2017, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X