X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Had a nice visit from my daughter & her family today
    We really took advantage of the nice weather & grilled dinner outside - in February, go figure!

Tony, Congrats on 30 AF days :yay:

Roobs, you are about to round the corner to 100, awesome!

Hello & welcome Changes, glad you found us.

It's late so I'll just wish everyone a safe night in the nest.

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

abcowboy can't get on MWO either. Anyone else having issues?
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Sporting a lovely black eye from a few days ago and red face as hot as a chilli.

Now Day 2 and feeling great, eating more and Day 1 off smokes .little dizzy but feeling better. Only a month since I did 42 days so getting back into to a routine easier this time .Have a weekend in Melbourne in 3 weeks and want to look my healthiest and best

Just popped a Baclofen to see how it compares with valium lol after reading this

Last edited by Neo; February 20, 2017, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoraC View Post
          abcowboy can't get on MWO either. Anyone else having issues?
          There is currently an issue with existing members being unable to log in, having previously logged out. It is hoped we can get this resolved today. Do NOT log out in the meantime.

Thank you for your understanding.
          Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Good morning nesters, on my phone so a little hard to read back,
            All well here in Mario land, I am still doing my work on myself and as before when I started it was a bit of a burden it now fits in with my daily morning rituals, for me anyway it does get easier not just with having the knowledge but actually working the knowledge.
            Have a good day everyone

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
              There is currently an issue with existing members being unable to log in, having previously logged out. It is hoped we can get this resolved today. Do NOT log out in the meantime.

Thank you for your understanding.
              This issue is now resolved.
              Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Today is my last Day 1. I can't do it anymore. I'm so tired of so much....
                Shame
                Guilt
                Being hungover
                Being tired
                Sneaking
                Worrying
                On and on
                I want to be sober again

Comment

Welcome back, Ican:hug:

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                    Welcome back, Ican:hug:
                    Thank you - seeing you gives me hope

Comment

There is always hope, Ican. And the best thing is, you can be free of this awful addiction the moment you decide that no matter what, you don't drink. Not many things in life are completely under our control, but this is. Some people can make that choice and -BOOM!- they're done. Most of us, though, need to actively "rewire" our brains and become non-drinkers. What worked for me and has for many of my friends here is to give up one habit (daily drinking) for another (daily reading and posting on MWO).

Early on, I literally spent hours here every single day, throughout the day. That neural circuit that told me I needed a glass of wine at 4 pm every day was a very strong one and it took a lot to change it. But it can be changed!!

Anyway, I'm really happy for you that you're willing to try again. Let us know how we can help you.
                      xx, NS

Comment

Ican, you've got this! I felt exactly like your post, once -- to the letter. That was about two years ago. 'Haven't had a drink since, and never looked back.

To the rest of my old friends, HI! and my apologies. Every time I say that I'll drop by soon, life throws me a curve ball so I'm going to stop saying it. When I last popped in, I was so excited -- we were off to go skiing over the holidays. Long-story-short, we spent Christmas in the ER with my son after he had the worst ice-skating injury I've ever seen (split his head wide open, all the way across his forehead -- not the best thing for someone who already has a seizure disorder). He's OK now, but it was an Ordeal! Found myself in a very remote cabin with half of one wi-fi bar, tending to him and to my sister who was quite ill with explosive, er, runs instead of hitting the slopes. Arrived home to find a notice from the IRS on the table -- two years of itemized deduction auditing and one of those years my records were destroyed in a flood that washed two feet of sewer water in the lower floor of my house. What triggered the audit? High medical expenses when I had cancer in 2015! GEEZ!! BUT, I finally got through it all, we're all relatively unscathed and hoping for smoother sailing. I think we burned through our lifetime allotment of bad karma.

I'm saying all this not so that you'll feel sorry for me (OK, feel a little sorry for me ) but for this reason: as bad as all of those things were, and as tough as all of those days were, the worst of it was still better than my best day drinking. Kid you not!

Congrats, Tony on your 30 days. YAY!! Loads of love to Byrdie, Matt, Lav, NoSugar, Kensho, Overit, Pav, Lifechange, Pie, Cowboy, Available, Pauly, Mario, my dear G-man and all the rest. 'Thinking of you.

LilBit
                        "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Happy Monday, Nest:

Great to hear from you, Lil. Sounds like a crazy time - glad your son is ok and that you were able to take all of that on with a clear, sober head.

Tony - great post. That idea about being armed ahead of time is so important. One thing I did/do a lot of is read about relapses. I really, really would like to avoid drinking again. I don't have any inclination to drink now, but I hear about long term sober people drinking all of the time. Offense is the best defense. Thanks for the reminder.

Nora - thanks for those tidbits.

Ican - Glad you're back. Do let us know if we can help in any other way than being here. I believe like NS does that some form of habitual maintenance is important. If you can't log on here every day, make a commitment to something else, and stick with the plan. You got this.

We have a holiday here in the states. I am thinking about all of the house stuff I need to catch up on, but also thinking about a nice afternoon movie in the rainy weather. Hmmmmmmmmm...

Happy Sober MONDAY, all.
                          Pav

Comment

Morning! Bright, sunny day here and I'm planning to get some sun on my face. We have had a 4 day weekend, and it sure has been nice. I really enjoy down time and sleeping - gosh it makes a huge difference.

LilBit! Good to see you! You've had your share of challenge, sorry you had to go through all that. Happy to see you sober and strong.

Byrdie, sorry to hear about your friend. It's every few months now that someone I know is diagnosed with cancer and it's disheartening and very sad. It really IS a good reminder to cherish every moment, AND take care of ourselves. My version of your salt thing is sugar. If I get in a rut with it, it is an addiction. I had taken my kids halloween candy and had it in a bag high in my closet shelf. I wouldn't let them have it every day, but I found myself having a piece or two every night for two weeks, so I threw it all in the trash can. Guess what I considered last night? I considered dumpster diving. THAT is the picture of addiction, and it reminds me so closely of alcohol. The good news is that when I don't have it for awhile (like alcohol), I rarely crave it. I found eating whole foods to be the same way - a habit that becomes normal. Good vibes to you!

Mr. G, if you are reading, just wanted to say that you are missed. Hoping you are hanging in there, and that you jump back in soon. Fill us in. Hugs!

Remember that change is hard, but new habits become new normals - we can ALL do this!
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Morning nesters

Tony happy 30 days to you, just keep plodding along. Every week when i post on Sunday shoutouts i am amazed that i am where i am now. 30 or 1000 it doesnt matter, what matters is we make it another day without al. Congratulations.

Lil, so lovely to see you pop in. isnt it wonderful to just live life like normal people, without worrying about our next drink and how we can afford it and who will notice and do we have enough. Glad you son is ok though, sounds nasty. Im feeling a little sorry for you!

Hi Ican and welcome back. Your list is a standard one for us alkies but i know i have torn that list up now and just live life. Stay here, stay accountable, read and post, get rid of all the al out of your house and eat like a horse if you have too.

Hi Pav, i read about relapse now and when i hear stories like my teacher drinking after 22 years it petrifies me but i cant live my life being scared though i am always protecting the most important aspect of my life. Happy holidays.

I had a great weekend, did some op shopping and found stylist who was volunteering in one of the stores. i had a lovely 2 hours with her advising me on what looks good and what doesnt. It was fun and for less than $100 i walked out with a new wardrobe and a new look. Never ever would i have done that when i was a drunk. I sent a friend a photo of me as a drunk and me now and i wanted to cry at how far i have come, at how working at being sober each and every day has gotten me to how i live my life today. I cannot imagine going back to the hell i called my life before. Becoming sober has been one of the hardest things i have ever done in my life but it has also been the best journey in learning to live and love again, myself that is!

Take care x
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

I am checking in because I need to each day, but I am not going to post much today. Day 3, bad night sleeping, sick to my stomach this morning, headache and hard to concentrate, but sober. Drinking dreams last night also, the reflection in the mirror isn't to good either.
                                Last drink 02/17/2017

Comment

Working...
                                X