Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi Nest

I've been to see a therapist today (as arranged by my psychiatrist to give "interim" care between hospital visits which is more "local"...76 mile round trip....but that's not the point!).

She has said that I "ought" to be part of a group which meets to discuss issues. I told her about my geographic problems with AA and also that from my short foray into the AA system I did not feel it was right for me. She has suggested I join a group called "Smart Recovery" which I think is UK only, and I was wondering if any of you have any experience of these groups?

P.S. I'm putting this question on the February Army as well to get a wider view, just in case you think I've gone mad and got repetitive!

Comment

Morning nesters

ADP a huge congrats on 30 days. Well done and take it from us long termers no experiment with drinking for us alkies ends well thus why i wont drink and why i log on here daily to be accountable. Great work. I always remember how proud of myself i was at the major milestones and how damn hard it was but worth it.

Tony, i think we can only do what we feel is right for us. We listen to advice but i know for me that i take it on board and if i think it will work then i will try it. There is no point in getting stressed out if we cant humanly do it.

I have my apt for addiction counselling and really looking forward to it. Its funny how now i face life head on when before i would run and hide in a bottle. Anything i set my mind to i know i can achieve.

Wags i am sending you a hug. Just remember recovery takes time and be gentle with yourself. You will get through this just and you will heal body and soul. I can imagine what you must want to do to that driver as i would be right there with you.

Well a hot day here and my course tonight. Im procrastinating already as it makes for a very long day with work but thats life. I will just plod along today.

Take care x
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi all,
        Having a warm and cosy night here & hope everyone else is okay. I'm really tired again tonight, yawn, but I am looking forward to popping back to my Wednesday AA group tomorrow :happy2:
        Congratulations on your first month ADP, may it be the first of many x
        Nursie that sounds like a great idea, it's really satisfying to have a clear out! I'm itching to get stuck into my garden again but it's not been dry enough just yet! So much moss and leaf litter to clear...which us really messy if it's wet!
        Ican and Neo, hang in there & don't allow that deceptive voice of AL in your headspace at all! It's all lies and trickery! And I think nice treats are a great idea Neo, anything that makes you feel better & lifts your spirits in the early days is really helpful x
        Please don't apologise Wags, post as often & as much as you need to xxx Focus on yourself is so important now & we are glad to be here for you in any way we can. I am in awe at how bravely you are coping with what has happened & also pleased for you that you have not been troubled with the desire to drink :hug:
        Tony, I started AA too recently - I'm not completely with the programme (shh!) But I like the regular RL accountability & the lovely like minded folk there, so I take what I need from it if that makes sense? Also I heard different meets can suit some better than others so it can be a good idea to shop around :happy2:
        Smart sounds really good - I've heard of it & think it sounds more progressive than AA & is perhaps more closer to rational recovery but have no personal experience.
        Good luck with your addiction councelling Ava, I hope it goes well x You sound so busy at the moment so am glad you'd such a lovely weekend it sounded really fun!x
        Thankyou for keeping me keeping on!
        Wishing all a safe & sober Tuesday
        LS
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wildflower.
        Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
        And eternity in an hour.

Comment

I was just thinking, must be getting better. When drinking everyday my body was so use to it that even as bad as it made me feel and the health consequences I still was functioning. Take the alcohol away and my whole body system is misfiring from the inside out trying to balance itself out. Amazing the control alcohol has on the body.
          Last drink 02/17/2017

Comment

Hey All new and old!
            Figured I would pop in and say Hi!

I'm still riding the cherished sober train, with 2.5 years aboard. I have been involved with a recovery group of other like minded men and women that use alternative and common recovery programs, very similar to MWO, only difference being that everyone involved are past or present Public Servants mostly Law Enforcement and Firefighter/Paramedics.
            It has been a nice change, BUT I will never forget where it all began for me, right here in these rooms.

This is the longest I have ever remained Sober and the one thing that has stayed consistent, other not ingesting poison, is I have been connected with others battling addiction. Hence the words that I have been saying and lived by- There is a 100% I could not have done this on my own, and anytime I tried, I failed 100% of the time, and I tried ALOT.

If your new or struggling for that matter, I welcome you, do not try to reinvent the wheel, follow suit and enjoy a life free of guilt, remorse and misery!
            That's all I got about that.

Stay Hard freaks! :love:
            AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Matt, Im so glad to see you, too! Its old home week right here in the nest! Im glad to see you are still onboard and going strong. I know it wasnt easy, but it has always been worth it, no?.
              I was thinking today, why would someone choose to drink after living AF has become easy? Complacency is our biggest enemy. We dont get over this. We always need to be vigilant!
              ADP! Here's your 30 day hat! :guy: GREAT JOB!!! Do you have a few words for us, what worked, what didnt? We are mighty proud of you!
              Wags, many times I post for myself alone. This is my journey and I want to be able to look back and see where I was at any given time. Writing SOMETHING matters to me. If I dont write anything I have no record, so never worry about what you DO write! Wishing you well, gentle hugs to you.
              Hope everyone has a peaceful night. Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good Morning ,
                Well here I am again , after I don't know how many day 1's over the last 5 years or so . I'm tired of the deceit , secrecy , regret and feelings of worthlessness , I should be having a good life , and when i'm sober I do . I just keep running out of willpower . I'll check in tomorrow when the withdrawals have subsided ,
                BND
                Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
                Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Good Tuesday evening Nesters,

ADP, CONGRATS on your 30 AF days :yay:
                  Be happy, be proud & most of all be grateful & protect your quit!

Wags, you have been thru a huge event so take all the time you need to heal :hug:
                  We are always here if you need anything.

BND, good to see you again, welcome back.
                  How about starting off with a brand new plan & plan for success?! Stick close to the nest, we are here.

Matt, good to see you & hear you at happy & healthy.

Good to see everyone checking in, it helps us all
                  Wishing a safe & comfy night in the nest for all.

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello Nest! Congrats ADP on your 30! So happy for you.
                    Good to see some old friendly faces around here today!

Busy day at work for me, but not bad. Just fast and steady!
                    No drinking thoughts, or drinking dreams today.

Headed to bed! Have a great night in the nest!
                    Day 1 again 11/5/19
                    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Yo, Matt! Good to see you. We probably made Byrdie faint, both of us showing up in the same week. :happy2:

Cowboy, it's great to see you still going strong and riding the MWO range, too.

Thanks to all my old and new friends for your replies. It's truly inspiring to log on here and see people getting their lives back, no matter where they are on the journey. There's a lot of courage being exhibited in those first raw and honest steps, as well as grace in the strong & steady posts of the long-timers. :welldone::thumbsup: to all of you.

True story time: the other night, I got up to answer nature's call in the middle of the night (showing my age, here). Now, I keep a night light on in the bathroom so I don't wake myself too much with the bright overhead. I could see by its dim illumination that the cat was perched in his "cat door," which is really just the bathroom window that I leave open for him. I muttered something to him and after a bit, he jumped outside with a loud ka-thunk and a weird scrabbling sound. "Geez, Ivan, you're getting clumsy," I mused. Then, having finished my 'goings-on' I shuffled into the kitchen for a sip of water.

'Stopped dead in my tracks when I glanced in the living room and noticed the cat sleeping soundly in his chair.

I'm still trying to figure out what critter was perched there beside me in the bathroom while I did my business. 'Not sure I want to know.
                      "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Popped in to tell AG a big Congratulations!!!!

And I see ADP has 30!

Fantastic. So happy for you both.
                        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Congratulations AG and ADP!! Whoot, Whoot!

Roobs.

Comment

Good morning nesters,

Congratulations ADP & I must say its nice to see older posters dropping in & saying hello, So if there's anyone out there lurking ,it does not matter where you are in your recovery or not , just drop in and say hi, we don't bite...

Every so often I take an inventory of where I am at , The biggest asset I have is that I am clean & sober today, & then I think of were I live & the job I do, I would not have it if I still living in my old life, My family, my relationship with my family was very strained due to my addiction, like I thought i was a happy drunk the only problem was I was the only one happy, but I am definably happy now as is my family .I have made real great friend's here & in meetings in go to, its a great feeling & a great life.

Hope you all have a good day & don't quit quitting. :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

30 is great ADP

Survived Day 4 without Beer and smokes and needing a valium. A little confused but feel better than yesterday . Found having Val at 4pm instead of bedtime helped me sleep alot better . Still abit messy in mornings

Comment

Hey Bran New. I see you joined 7 years ago when my father passed away. I was deeply in the beer then. If I could sit and sobered up for a few months back then , I would have saved a lot of grief and serious money (not only from alcohol). Recognising the people around me weren't my friends. Especially financial advisors who were only looking after themselves and could care more about every dollar they make, than anyone that passes

Comment

Working...
                                X