Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

TGIF - long week, but coming to a close!

Groceries done - for some reason no longing as I walked past the booze shelves - no complaining here, just a nice realization.
    Nothing in particular for this weekend - have my run on Saturday, then my new hobby - my third yoga session, think I like it!
    Lunch with an old friend today - don't "do" lunch very often at all, so this is a treat.

Nothing on the plan for Sunday, and it doesn't appear to be scheduled for rain.
    To summarize, no complaints here - sticking to the plan!
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Happy Friday, all.
      A busy day, as usual. I will be packing this weekend for our vacation next week. What a relief to not have to think about packing enough booze for 6 days. It was becoming a problem to pack it all, my luggage was getting really heavy. Those werent the days. I cant believe how much I BS'd myself in the face of obvious addiction. The things I was willing to ignore! NUTS!
      Stay the course, all....there is nothing like MindPeace. Xo, Byrdiej
      Last edited by Byrdlady; February 25, 2017, 07:27 PM.
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Amen to that Byrdie. I love the BS-free life too

Neo, great job navigating all those possible pitfalls. That's how you get the job done!

Pav, finding this online 'help' was a major blessing for me too. I have always been a very private person & still prefer to keep things to myself. You would never know that considering all the blabbing I have done around here the past 8 years but it's true

We are still enjoying this wonderful weather BUT a big rain storm is due tomorrow afternoon followed by some more seasonal weather Sunday. OK, it is still winter, ha ha!
        Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello nesters,

I agree about the online help and support, so thankful for the internet. I was fighting with myself about going to AA meetings before I joined here, but around here it is more court ordered members that go and I was concerned about that. Also a very small town. I think there is so much information and help on the internet nowadays, a great invention it is!

Byrdie, enjoy your vacation.

Enjoy your weekends and hopefully nice weather to everybody.

Still finding my way around here and trying to remember who is who.

I am enjoying more energy so I have been busy getting things done, a nice feeling
          Last drink 02/17/2017

Comment

@Changes , I'm in a small town of 8000 and not really keen on going to AA so this forum is good enough for me.

Comment

Quick check in. So tired!
              I'm watching my friends children tonight and tomorrow. She just started chemo and her little ones needed to come hang out with us! Let her get some rest.
              But the thing is, my husband has a cold. What is it about men when they have a cold. Like, did you die? You can't help with the kids, can't do anything except cough and breathe all over everything. Ugh
              Tomorrrow is cub scouts all day for derby races and chili cook off. My chili is ready to go. Hope they like it!!
              Well I'm off to bed finally. Have a safe night in the nest!
              Day 1 again 11/5/19
              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Good morning nesters, Tis a lovely sunny day here in Spain.

Just a thought on the folks above about AA, You can if you wish do AA online, like a lot of things now its all only atouchbutton away.

Its funny in a way that we get a bit embarrassed about how people might judge us if they see us going to AA or other fellowships meetings etc & yet no problem them seeing us make a fool of ourselves over & over while we were drinking, After being clean for a while The amount of people who have told me that they knew I had an addiction/drink problem was huge, with quite a few saying I thought you wouldn't live that long, Also imo it would be only the most ignorant & maybe self-denial folk who would judge people who are trying to help themselves get a better life. And yes there is a lot of them around.

For me I kinda proud to say to folk I am an alcoholic, said it to a co worker the other day when we talking & he said, YOU, he couldn't believe it, He then opened up about his brother who has addiction problems , Really its a small world we live in & all is not what it seems.

Have a nice day folks.
                Last edited by mario; February 25, 2017, 01:00 PM.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

In all fairness, I can't knock something I haven't been to or tried ,so may try an AA locally which is tomorrow Sunday and see what happens , as well ,just had a search and found a heap of online one's

Day - 7

Last 2 days have had quite a bit of confusion and breaks in concentration . Forgot to up my dose of Mega B+ ,so had another after tea . Thinking it helps. Will have a shower and calm down. Changed all my alcohol smell sheets with clean ones last night.Trying to do a little everyday ,to tidy up at least one area or thing.

One of the great things for change is setting some goals. Have got some great audio webinars by Brian Tracy. He has a book "No Excuses" which I think is a must read starting out and would serve people well on here. You could also borrow it from your library if funds were an issue. There is also various audios about the power of discipline which was fantastic on my total 8 hr drive yesterday and have turned my car into a mobile library.

Another great tip is to write what you think. write everything down on a sheet of paper to gain clarity and organise your thoughts. Really enjoying listening to stuff like this every day and think it's well worth taking an hour out to learn something each day

Comment

Mario, thanks for your post! I've been thinking the same thing about how funny we alcoholics can be about not wanting anyone to know we are working on our recovery, and yet had no problem getting drunk in front of these people and saying god knows what, looking a mess and maybe even passing out, let alone all the regrets and repercussions. When I finally admitted to everyone, particularly my family, that I was an alcoholic and getting help, I got much of the same feedback - that everyone knew I had a drinking problem and were just waiting for ME to figure it out. My friends and family are smart people - it was dumb of me to think I was ever pulling one over on any of them.

For anyone weary of AA, I completely understand. It took me a very long time to walk through those doors, and honestly it was my bottom (losing my job) to get me there. Otherwise I thought my self will could get me to quit. I will say that I live in a large city in the US where there are 2,000+ meetings every week, so I have no problem finding meetings or being able to try out different groups to find what helps me. I can completely understand how it's tougher to find the right group in smaller towns.

Regardless of what works for you (in person meetings, online community, etc), I do believe a fellowship of some sort is important for alcoholics because it takes away the loneliness that I know I used to try and fill with booze. Also, sharing your experience with others, particularly those who are newer than you, I believe helps keep us sober.

Neo I love audio books too! I would suggest Brene Brown's "Gifts of Imperfection" - it talks about shame and what we need to do to get through our shame and start focusing on happiness. I think it has a lot of great things for people in recovery. I also write at least 5 things I'm grateful for every morning, and any time I feel stress or anxiety, I write in a journal to get the thoughts out. Writing is very therapeutic

Love to all in this community and truly enjoy hearing what works in everyone's lives!
                    Last edited by dejafoo345; February 25, 2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

GMAE all!

I see I'm late on congratulating you, AG, on tackling that first 30. Congrats also to Neo, SoCali and Changes on overcoming that first week. Fantastic!

Haven't checked in here for a bit but have been browsing the nest a bit. This is just a quick check in though. Beautiful day here in Jersey - too nice a day and I'm in too fine a spirit to ruin it with al not that the thoughts aren't there lurking. They can tend to themselves however. A fantastic day to be a non-drinker.

Everyone have a great AF Saturday!
                      “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                      Newbies Nest Roll Call
                      Toolbox
                      Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Good day here!
                        Managed lunch out just fine - not easy for an introvert.

This site also works for introverted me - no way could I go to an AA meeting, just wouldn't happen. I am very private, stiff British upper lip, and introverted - thank goodness for this site!

Ran over 5 miles today - before this the furthest I have ever run was four miles. Then a yoga session, then treated myself to a coffee. Now getting things done.

Cold and sunny today - drying out a bit thank goodness! Even have some windows open - it is cold though, so back to getting jobs done, then shut windows and put heating back on!

Have a grand weekend all,
                        Thank you all from the bottom of my introverted heart - sober February almost a done deal!
                        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Evening all,
                          Hope everyone is cosy in the nest this evening? I'm also glad of reading through & get so much help & support here from everyone x
                          I'm in support of bits & pieces of whatever method it takes to achieve sobriety & whatever works is the right one for you :happy2:
                          Thank you all so much
                          Wishing all a safe & sober Saturday
                          LS
                          To see a world in a grain of sand
                          And a heaven in a wildflower.
                          Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                          And eternity in an hour.

Comment

I haven’t been able to log on to the site today till just now, I kept getting an error code, this happened last week also.

On the topic of AA, I actually would like to go to meetings. I really would like to get a chip for 30 days and more milestones because in my heart I think it would be good for me to participate and work it out. The issue I brought up about our local AA is I have a dear friend that went to that local. I have driven by and sat out in my car trying to decide, but this person I am referring to did say just about everyone in there was court ordered and they were just going through the motions to get signed off and released.

To me I want to be part of a local that the people attending want and choose to be there, I think they would have a different attitude, one of trying to solve the problem. I think that is why I am working this quit so hard, I want it, and I think that wanting it to work makes a difference. Who knows maybe I still might find one that I would like.

Does anyone here ever watch the weekly tv show “MOM” where recovering alcoholic women go to a women’s AA group and it is the story of their journey? It’s a good show and it seems true to life in their battles. If I could find a meeting like that I would definitely be there.

I am a bit cranky today because I didn't sleep well. I started thinking of junk that bothered me in the past and my thoughts took over and worked me up in to a frustrated state of mind. My greasy dinner probably didn't help either. Onward.
                            Last drink 02/17/2017

Comment

It's a beautiful sunny Sunday morning here , getting out into the garden to enjoy it , hope everyone has a great day .
                              BND
                              Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
                              Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Good evening, nest!
                                I actually studied to be a dental hygienist. Patients would ask me if this gizmo or that new thing would help with their oral health. I would tell them that anything you do you improve your oral hygiene will improve it! Same with this, anything your put forth in effort to stay sober will definately help! I see a lot of value in a real life support group. As Matt says, there is 100% chance I cant do this alone. I believe that getting and STAYING sober takes support. While I love MWO and its convenience, I also have seen thousands of people get sober, but become complacent and drift away only to start drinking again. It works for me because I make it a priority every day. I do this because I have seen it work for others who went before me, like Lav and Mario. So my answer would be to do WHATEVER WORKS. Do whatever it takes to get and STAY sober. Stick with it and work your program as if your life depends on it....because it does!
                                Have a great evening, all. Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X