Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

We CAN sustain through the doldrums! Sometimes paying attention EVERY DAY to alcohol feels like a burden. But then I compare it to the burden of paying attention to alcohol EVERY DAY in trying to figure out what, where, when and how I was going to drink, recover, blah blah blah. A relatively small price to pay for freedom.

Sorry about your son, Kensho. I agree - parenting is NOT easy. When I see a personality trait in my kids that has been hard for me, I try so hard to figure out how to protect them from it. Ultimately we can't, but we can give them tools and methods to deal with such things without alcohol. That is a big deal in my book.

I am digging into a challenging but interesting project at work. I am excited and nervous to face it, but grateful I will be doing so with a clear head (that is, once this stupid cold goes away).

Hope you all have great Thursdays. Take care of yourselves and don't drink, no matter what!

Pav

Comment

Hi Nest
      Just realised I haven't posted on here for a number of days so just really saying hello.

Still cold but not enough snow for skiing up here. Ski season is a bit of a non-starter this year - oh well!

Still just keeping myself going one day at a time (You're right on that, Elvis!).

Have a good AF evening and Friday

Tony

Comment

Pav,I loved your post easier to think about NOT drinking (although it gets exhausting) than having to think about where,when,how and recovering, thank you
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I hope everyone has had a great day

Byrdie, feeling any better yet?

The winds of change have been blowing around like crazy here in Lav-land! I went outside yesterday & found blooms starting to open on the pussy willow, surely a sign of spring. But we have snow showers predicted for tomorrow morning, what???
          These problems are small & will handle themselves. All I have to do is remain on my AF path & will be celebrating 8 YEARS AF in 24 more days, yay! It all started with the 'one day at a time' mentality. If I can do it so can all of you

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening, Nesters.
            Tony, thats the way every single one of us are making it...one day at a time. You are doing just great. Im so glad you checked in.
            Lav, not much, if any improvement on the colitis front. It has been a miseable go. I dont feel like doing anything, it's draining. I am really hoping to have a better day tomorrow.
            Protect your quits and keep going!
            Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Nearly dropped the ball last night , 10 days in , finishing work after a long hot and dusty day and workmate says " a cold one would be nice " . So I found something else to do for 10 minutes by which time a big gulp of water a stern self talking to got me through . Just got to keep on guard for when it hits you out of the blue [ haven't really had any cravings so far ].
              Keep smiling . BND
              Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
              Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

BND,day 10 has always been a off day for me too,after my many quits I now know what days I need to guard 10,17,30,40's then after that I'm usually OK until I get cocky or whatever happens at the 100 day mark,glad you made it through wishing everyone a happy AF day
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi Nesters,
                  I don't have so much to say today.. a bit down in the dumps with slow recovery time after the surgery. I am trying to keep myself positive.. because I do have so many good things going on in life. And patient.. I have to go out of town for work tomorrow morning until late tuesday evening and I won't have the opportunity to check in here. But I am very serious about not drinking and my co-workers know that I won't be joining them at the wine bar. It's a conference and should be quite interesting so I am glad to be going, though already exhausted ahead of time..
                  Wishing everyone a lovely weekend and I'll be checking in Wednesday on day 8!

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Not much to report. I have a busy day with work and then errands. Family gone tonight, so I have to figure out what to have for dinner for myself and how early is too early to get my pjs on...

Byrdie - so sorry you're still not feeling well. Hope today is better.

TJAF - Love when you swing by.

Tony - I see almost 6 weeks? Whoot!

Onward and upward.

Pav
                    Last edited by Pavati; March 3, 2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Hello Everyone.

My 7 yr old's Betta fish died last night and she was very sad this morning. Even a fish can teach us lessons in love and loss. She painted a headstone this morning and cried her eyes out. Thought I'd post a picture because it is so lovely. SO glad I wasn't hungover. Hope everyone has a meaningful day.

IMG_8219.jpg
                      Last edited by KENSHO; March 3, 2017, 01:10 PM.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Pav, I've been in my jammies since 4:00.. ha! had to throw a skirt over them to run out the the shop..
                        going to bed now.
                        I'm very relieved to be back here. I do such an injustice to my body and my mind and soul when I lie to myself. Which is exactly what I have to do when I drink. A poker faced lie.. straight up. I hate that.
                        Tomorrow morning I will wake up again proud of myself, relieved!, feeling one day better.

Byrdie, I sure hope you're feeling better soon..
                        and Brandnewday.. good job distracting yourself!
                        xx

Comment

Morning nesters

Congrats on 200 days Kensho, it only gets better as time goes on.

I have had a week from hell, i have to say i work with the biggest bunch of useless twats and i could add some expletives but i wont today. I had 2 days off work, came back to 50 messages and a bunch of drs wanting tests for prognostication on a patient. The incompetency of the people i work with is amazing but the fact that it reflects on me also makes me furious. So all week i have let it get to me until i have been ready to pop. I said to my man "all i would like to do is drink a bottle of wine and smoke a packet of fags to feel better". Of course i didnt and i wont but i need to work on my stress and how to deal with it. The stress psychologist i was supposed to see on Tuesday had to be rescheduled as one of the "twats" has to have that day off. I need to sit and pull the what i am grateful for list out of my head and post on the nest. I am lucky, i have people at work who i can vent too and my children and man and they all know to talk to me about how i feel so these feelings dont build up. Relapse is not an option in my life.

Good to see you back LC, giving up al is hard, we know that, logging on here is not hard. It is still the first thing i do in the morning and last at night. I always figured i spent 4 good solid hours drinking so i could spend 10 solid minutes on here posting and more time reading. Glad the op and your move went well. A brand new life waits for you. x

Aww Byrd i am so sorry to hear you cant go on holidays. Imagine how much al you could drink to drown your sorrows if you did drink. a huge "whoa is me moment". The longer from al the easier life is to deal with. Sending you a load of hugs.

BND great work on saying no. All the triggers were there and you walked away. I avoided situations for months regarding al, i knew my al brain was still the boss over my normal brain. This hot weather we are having at the moment is definitely enticing for having a cold one, glass of water that is.

Well i am off to do some course work, which hopefully will finish the end of April and then on to the Diploma i hope.

Take care x
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Ava if you figure out the silver bullet for stress be sure to let us know, I have been feeling more stressed than ever. Always appreciate another method to try.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Seems that winter has made a return - knew it would

LC, enjoy your work conference & try to get some rest while the others are at the bar. Who needs that?

Byrdie, sending you healing thoughts!

Ava, hang in there & don't let the dummies irritate you. Just think about your future career no where near those morons you currently work with, right?

Kensho, sorry about the fish, geez. The headstone is beautiful

Dutch, what's going on with you?

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest. Temps will only be in the teens in the morning around here, brrr!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Friday checking in here - and sober Feb done and dusted, on to sober March!
                                Feeling good and strong, trying hard not to over think this, and just keep on with one foot in front of the other.
                                Not much to report - school, work, family, same old same old - not complaining!
                                “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Working...
                                X