Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Wags,
    Just catching up after a stretch away and back read about your accident. Along with everyone else, am happy that you and the pup survived- sorry for what you are going through. I can relate to your experience having been in an accident last June. I replay it in my mind - everything was fine one minute- no imminent danger anywhere in site, then in a blip I felt like I got hot by a bomb. The other car was traveling so fast that I never saw it. His speed (65mph) + my speed (25 mph) calculates to the 2 cars approaching each other at a combined speed of 95mph or 140 feet per second. On a pin straight road with no other cars behind or in front I’m not sure if I saw him in the distance and not being able to gage his speed simply didn’t register his car moving at me as a threat, or if I simply didn’t see him at all. In the moments after my car came to a stop and I crawled out of it, I also remember thinking, “I wonder how serious this accident is? Did I cause it?” I never saw the other car at the scene- but the looks on the faces of the people that began to gather gave me good reason to think it was pretty serious, and they seemed far more worried about the other driver. “He doesn’t look very good at all.” I wondered how old he was, if he’d fallen asleep, had a seizure or heart attack. He’s a young man they said. “You’re very lucky to be alive.” He turned out to be a junior in high school - having turned 17, and gotten his driver’s license two weeks before. Strapped to the gurney with the head restraint I saw 2 helicopters hover over the accident site and wondered if one was for me. When they loaded me into the emergency transport, I asked if it was an ambulance or a helicopter. It was an ambulance.

That night while I was in ICU, I learned that they had to cut the entire top of his car off to get him out. That he was medevac’d out and had died during surgery. As for me, I broke more than a handful of bones, and have other injuries too- torn ligaments, bulging ruptured discs – unrelenting pain in some spots, unpredictable pain in others. Just yesterday had surgery on my shoulder and it’s likely that there will be others. On a daily basis I am consumed with different emotions relating to the accident; Survivors guilt, despair for the family, anger for being marginalized, on more than one occasion I have felt a strong undercurrent of contempt from my treating doctors- as thought I caused the accident, stole a young life. The boy was a new driver, traveling nearly 3x the speed limit, either texting or talking on the phone and his me head on in my lane. There has never been a shred of doubt as to who caused the accident, by witnesses, the police, even his parents I am told. But I know the circumstances could easily have been different (drunk or sober).

I hope you stay connected to the Nest and lean on friends to work through the stress and residual thoughts stemming from the accident. I never realized that PTSD was something that could happen in response to things like car accidents or anything personally traumatizing. When I did some research about it, I realized it can, and felt relieved to see that what I was feeling had a name. It’s very frustrating not to have the answers to the questions, and the knowledge that you probably never will. The passage of time will be helpful. Most importantly, 226 days IS solid and you should be proud and protective. At more than 3 years sober when I reflect on quitting I am freaked out by how hard it was to kick the habit- and not just the addiction piece. Drinking is so prevalent in society and glamorized in many of the most popular tv shows and movies. You have to look harder to find role models depicting lives lived without the crutch of alcohol.
    Thank you for sharing your experience, even though it’s a tough one. It’s the glue that holds us together as a group with a common goal. To talk about what happened, and hear how others coped without resorting to getting blotto- it’s empowering. Keep up the good work. Things will get better, and remember that it’s rare to have 2 bad days in a row. Hugs, Jane

Originally posted by wagmor View Post
    Quick update from Wag-land...

It's now almost 3 weeks since my bad car accident. I've been off work that whole time, and I've really needed it. My dr says I'll be off this coming week as well. I'm hoping I'll be able to return next Monday, but this break has been essential.

Yesterday I tried to go for a short (3-miles - I usually go at least 20) bike ride. It was ok, and it felt REALLY good to do something active and fun, but I also learned that my neck and back are not ready for biking yet. I'm not paying too bad of a price, but while riding it was clear that I just can't turn my head/neck enough to truly be safe (checking for traffic etc). Fortunately I was riding with a friend who took extra care to help us both stay safe. I don't regret going, but I won't be back on my bike for at least another week and a few more therapy sessions.

I'm still wading through all the paperwork and bs that seems to be necessary after a hit-and-run accident. Today I'll go back to the dept of motor vehicles (3rd and hopefully last trip). It seems that every time I try to check one more thing off my list, 3 unknown things add themselves to that same list. Like before I can do item number 15, I have to go back and do items 14a, b, c that I didn't know existed. It is exhausting.

I can see one thing clearly - this would all be MUCH HARDER if I were drinking. I would have dropped lots of balls, risked having my driving privileges suspended (simply due to not getting forms filed that are required by the state, even though this was all NOT my fault), etc etc. I would, in short, be a basket case.

Instead, I'm on Day 226 and feeling pretty darn solid. If anything, I'm protecting my quit even more fiercely than ever, perhaps because it's one of the few things I can control right now. I think I've finally reached that point where, as Pav says, "I don't drink." Not I'm trying not to drink, or I'm not drinking for awhile - truly I don't drink.

Was just talking with a friend over the weekend - the topic was whether or not I should help pay for a kit to maintain a small keg we all used to share as friends. She said, "well there's no reason for you to chip in because you don't drink." No qualifiers.

Yes, that's right. I don't drink.

Happy weeks everyone - stay safe in the nest no matter what comes your way. It is soooooo worth it.
    AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Marthadan - Happy belated bday! Isn’t is great to celebrate without alcohol?

Good reminder Mario - AL does get in our face, even with some confidence of some AF time!

LAV and PAV, thanks for your thoughts on the spouse thing. I can let him do what he chooses to do, but I still struggle with the fact that his actions and happiness level impact us all. One of the “Four Agreements” (book by Don Miguel Ruiz) is not to take things personally. Meaning - we all have our own perspectives and realities based on our individual experiences. If I can emotionally disconnect with his behavior and re-focus on positive things, I think I will feel better. I love him - it’s just hard to watch someone be self-destructive, and attack others around him. But I wrote a chapter in that book myself

I am feeling SO much better physically! I think gluten and sugar really mess with my system and brain - thinking and sensory processing! I really felt rotten! Nothing like repeated negative reinforcement to change a behavior!

Wags and Jane (hi!) - its tough reading your stories. Thank you for sharing, and showing us what it means to be brave and strong.

Happy positive day everyone. Sending warm, happy thoughts to you all.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Another bedtime check in for me. I have my granddaughter here for an overnight or two, so I am happy
        Just imagine, if I had stayed on that miserable path I was on I would never have these precious opportunities to spend time with the young ones. Yes, I am a grateful granny.

Jane, great to see you check in & I am sorry you have had so much to deal with post accident. But your insight is surely a help to Wags dealing with her more recent accident. I am so grateful you two are here with us. I wish you both complete healing :hug:

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning nesters .

Another bright Sunshine day here, kinda have a day of, kinda as I am on 24 hr call, sures thems the breaks, no complaints here, I enjoy what I do.
          You know sometimes I have often thought myself the victim of what other people say & do, Yet every time when I reviewed why them people might be saying such & such & compared them to my own thoughts on the exact same subjects, I found it only increased my anxiety & anger in me, My own resentments & my own self-pity would put me useless.

Nowadays ,if anyone talks of me so as to hurt me,I ask myself is there any truth in at all,If there is none I try to remember that I too have spoken bitterly about others,Hurtful talk is another syptom of our addictions & sickness we suffer from, We do have to understand the unreasonableness of sick folks.

Have a good day folks :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Mario, amazing some people don't have to be alcoholics to speak bad about other people

Interesting 10 people who you thought would never be alcoholics

10. Robin Williams
            9. Buzz Aldrin
            8. Daniel Radcliffe
            7. Leonard Nimoy
            6. Johnny Depp
            5. Vincent van Gogh
            4. Winston Churchill
            3. Samuel L. Jackson
            2. Eminem
            1. Boris Yeltsin

I was a huge fan of Leonard Nimoy (Spock) and it's not just us normal folk who have problems and doesn't change my opinion that you can still be a great person regardless of the past
            Last edited by Neo; March 9, 2017, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post
              Mario, amazing some people don't have to be alcoholics to speak bad about other people

Interesting 10 people who you thought would never be alcoholics

10. Robin Williams
              9. Buzz Aldrin
              8. Daniel Radcliffe
              7. Leonard Nimoy
              6. Johnny Depp
              5. Vincent van Gogh
              4. Winston Churchill
              3. Samuel L. Jackson
              2. Eminem
              1. Boris Yeltsin

I was a huge fan of Leonard Nimoy (Spock) and it's not just us normal folk who have problems and doesn't change my opinion that you can still be a great person regardless of the past
              All very gifted pople Neo. Possibly frustrated with the 'normal' world ?
              I like to think we alcoholics are a cut above the 'normal' and that's why we struggle

Comment

Howdy ho Nesters near and far, just a quick fly by to say it looks like everyone is staying safe out there.

If you happen to see Dutch lurking about, be sure to say congrats to him today;

Dutch on your 2 year soberversary!
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Happy Anniversary Dutch! Can't believe it's been 2 years. Seems like yesterday that you were closing in on 4 months and headed to Hawaii with THE INLAWS! You've put in hard work and muscled through the tough times like a champ...look at he riches you have to show for it! Thanks for leading by example! Your determination (and the fruits of your labor) are the substance upon which more sobrieties will be built. For reals! Many congrats to you!
                  AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Jane - Thank you so much for your words of understanding and your support. I'm so sorry to hear about all that you've been through. Sounds like a very difficult path you've had since last June. My recent accident wasn't quite as bad as yours, but my first one in 2001 was pretty similar to what you experienced except the other driver somehow walked away without a scratch - I was the only one injured and it included a brain injury. So part of my difficulty now is that this experience is heaped on top of the previous one which took years to recover from. I do, by comparison, feel fairly lucky that this recent one didn't cause as many or as bad of injuries as the first.

You are so right about PTSD from experiences like car accidents. You really have the gamut of emotions going on, especially given the circumstances of your accident. So sorry to hear you've felt marginalized or treated as if you're at fault. I haven't had that from Drs, but my insurance co is dragging their feet on everything as if I was at fault, and it makes me really angry. I was a crime victim for god's sake, and I'm asking you to take care of me as your customer! Sheesh!! It must be tons harder to be treated that way by Drs you really need to count on, and then to have survivor's guilt on top of it must feel incredibly heavy. I'm so sorry.

I'm feeling the edges of PTSD now, and actually am going to see a counselor for some short-term therapy that will focus largely on the two accidents. I think it will really help. I hope it will.

I have so much empathy for what you've been through and what you're going through. It really is a stark reminder of how life can truly change on a dime and you might never see it coming.

Do you have any sense whether your accident and subsequent recovery have helped you stay AF or made it harder? On my end, I would say it has mostly helped. I've had a few extremely frustrating days where I just wanted to escape for a few hours, and drinking crossed my mind, but generally my reaction has been to protect my quit even more fiercely than before. Thank goodness I had 6+ months under my belt before this happened. You recently celebrate a big milestone, right? Was it 3 years? I'm wondering if you've had any temptation, or if your quit is so solid now that it's been a non-issue, or somewhere in between???

Sending you huge thanks again, and gentle hugs of compassion.
                    Last edited by wagmor; March 9, 2017, 10:41 AM.
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Marthadan - Happy belated birthday!!!

Dutch - Congrats on 2 years!!!

Lav - Thanks for the support and the wishes for healing. Jane and I will probably both take all the well wishes we can get. So glad you're having these precious times with your granddaughter.

Kensho and Byrdie - glad to hear you're both feeling better, even if not fully well yet. Kensho, the four agreements is a great book - we have the list of 4 on our refrigerator as a little reminder.

LC - focusing on nutrition and overall wellness sounds like a good plan. I'm glad to hear that life with your girls is feeling so peaceful - hang on to that.

Mario - good reminder about temptation, we should definitely all be prepared so we can respond when it comes calling.

UPDATE from Wagland: They might have found the truck that hit me!!!!! Well, I should say "we", not "they" because it was actually the driver of the car I got shoved into that spotted it. I wasn't able to get the plate # of the truck before it fled the accident scene, but I gave a pretty good description to the police, including color of the truck and color of the canopy/shell/cap on the bed. The other driver and I, the victims, have probably been the only people still on the lookout for a truck with that description with front end damage, and yesterday she saw a very likely suspect. Everything about the description matches up, and it was even in the same general part of the city (within a mile or so) of where the accident happened. She called the plate number and address where she saw it in to the police and attached it to our case #. They said they'd send someone over to check it out. By the time I was able to cruise by (an hour or so later) it wasn't there. But I'm hopeful!!! The odds of it not being the right truck seem pretty damn slim. And we have a few bits of evidence from the scene that might help solidify things. Fingers crossed everyone - this could be a game changer just for the resolution of the case and the psychological piece of mind.

On the downside, I'm hurting pretty bad today. I haven't slept well that past 3 nights due to pain. I see my Dr tomorrow and hope he'll have some new ideas.
                      Last edited by wagmor; March 9, 2017, 10:42 AM.
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning peeps. Feeling a little down and tired today, but manage I will. I hope they find the truck WAGS - people must be accountable.

DUTCH - Way to go!! HUGE congrats to you friend!

Im finishing accounting today - which by now you know I despise - but down, tired and boring days happen. This may be one. Or maybe something wonderful will happen. If I were to drink, I would miss it all, and it's all important.

Hope everyone has something special about today! I think it's a good day to be grateful!
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi all

Still all good in the hood here, and another sunny day which I find really lifts my mood. When I was first diagnosed with clinical depression at the age of 18, I remember thinking all was lost until the first sunny day after I started my medication when I realised that just maybe things weren't so bad. Fast forward almost 20 years, and the sunshine still makes a big difference to me (perhaps I should have emigrated somewhere sunnier?!!)

I have started reading a book called "The Empty Room" by Lauren B Davis about a lady reaching her rock bottom, thinking she'd been hiding her drinking better than she had from colleagues, friends etc. I am not very far in to it yet but so far it is a good read. I like to read true personal accounts of recovery and have read some great ones, but a female alcoholic character in a novel always gets my attention. Others I have enjoyed (should anybody be interested!) are:
                          "Best Kept Secret" by Amy Hatvany
                          "Another Love" by Amanda Prowse
                          "Summer Secrets" by Jane Green

Hope the sun is shining in all of your hearts today too!
                          Last edited by Readynow79; March 9, 2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

GMAE all!

LC – Sorry to hear about the need for another surgery; glad your friend helped you feel more positive about the age-related transition.

Martha – Happy belated!

Byrdie – Hope you are feeling well today.

Dutch – congrats on 2 years!

Wag – That’s fantastic news about the driver! Sorry to hear you’ve been in pain though.

Kensho – I never answered your question from days ago: CAF = Chronic Anal Fissure. Like the positive attitude; don’t miss a thing.

It’s been a bit busy around here, for me anyway. I’ve been trying to help one of our teams recover a TON of lost data while juggling my own responsibilities. A couple nights and last weekend were lost to the effort; a few hours here and there. Ah, well. Definitely increases the speed of my thinking and had the thought a couple of times that I could just have a few …. Breathe in, breathe out. Slow … down ….

Hoping health and healing finds everyone.
                            “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                            Newbies Nest Roll Call
                            Toolbox
                            Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Thanks all!

Comment

Checking in after a busy couple of days.
                                Jane, I'm so sorry about the accident. You and Wags are going through a lot of post traumatic stress. I remember when my brother had his motorcycle accident (the accident he had prior to the one he died in). He was drinking, wasted in both accidents. The motorcycle accident was so traumatic that he was in ICU for 6 weeks. When we brought him home, he had terrible depression and nightmares. He quit drinking for awhile. But he died suddenly while he was drinking and driving a few years ago. I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess that after an accident it takes a long time to feel safe and healed again.

I'm doing well. No drinking or drinking thoughts. I was thinking of offering my catering services again to make some extra money. That's been on my mind.

In bed. Ice and early tonight and wishing everyone a comfy night in the nest!
                                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X