Re: Newbies Nest

Congrats on those 2 years, Dutch! :two: You are da bomb! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

It was such a nice day here, 60+ degrees & total sunshine. Would you believe we are supposedly waking up to snow tomorrow?

My granddaughter decided to stay a second night, we had fun today. Again, this is the main reason why I would never give up my quit. The time with the grandkids is pure & special.

Let's all keep healing & moving forward together. Stay with your plans, the results are worth your efforts
      Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey, here's one more congrats for my "quit twin. Way to go, Dutch!

Hope everyone's doing well.
        "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Hiya Nesters,

Just checked in and doing my daily read.....and what life experiences here!! Everyone from different places, different situations but with the same goal. Staying alcohol free!
          Getting towards week 7 here and my quit is strong, today.
          LC, you mentioned 'hindsight' and that touched a nerve here in my part of the Nest. I have many regrets that AL used to numb. If only I had been brave enough, or if I had not said that, or if I had been a better friend with that person. Good intentions were all well and good, but AL was a better way for me to not think about things.....then. Now I see it as the problem. I couldn't deal with other problems because my mind wasn't clear enough to consentrate on the things that actually mattered. If only I had learnt these lessons sooner. But I believe that I was not ready to grow up and accept them before. Maybe, as I will be 50 this year, I am learning life has a better path and perhaps I am stronger and braver than I ever gave myself credit for?

Everyone, keep doing what you are doing to stay clear of AL. Whatever works for you! Together we make a strong team and your quits are helping me, from 1 day to several years!!! Life isn't as scary as I thought it was when I'm in the Nest :-)

Sleep well,
          ADPxx

Comment

Good morning nesters. Well done to everyone , especially dutch, 2 years is great :-) delighted for you.

Hope your feeling better Kensho, wagmore & Byrdie,

All is good in Marioland, Of course I have like you all the reality of life's ups & downs, With siblings Children & grandchildren , Many years ago I was under the impression/illusion that once your children got old & into there 30,s that there old enough now for the big wide world, But it never stops you worrying about them & hoping they don't make the same mistakes as there father, Just on another note what I write here is what worked for me, that's all, just my opinion's/views, They don't suit everyone and that's fine as I don't use them for anyone else just me. I just share what worked & helped me & being over 8 years clean & sober I don't think it is a bad share.

Have a great day folks. :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Jane, it's nice to see you here and I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I can see how it would be a life changing event and my heart goes out to you and that boy's family too.

Comment

Good intentions were all well and good, but AL was a better way for me to not think about things.....then. Now I see it as the problem. I couldn't deal with other problems because my mind wasn't clear enough to concentrate on the things that actually mattered.
                Thanks ADP! Our minds are in the same place. I used to think I needed that glass of wine to calm down or relax. What I'm realizing now is that the AL in my system was actually the thing that was making me feel really anxious at the end of the day. It wasn't the real me. At 40+ days in, overall, I have so much less anxiety and am so much better at dealing with daily stress. I don't feel as overwhelmed because I am dealing with the stress, not numbing it.

I, too, wish I would have learned the above lesson years ago. It would have saved me a lot of grief, remorse, money, time, you name it. I won't dwell there but choose to make every day I have a good day.

ADP, I think we are quit buddies, let's stick together!

Onward!

Comment

Good morning everyone,

I've been trying to catch up on everyone's posts. LC, I'm so sorry you have to go through another surgery. If there's an upside, it sounds like your doctors are being very cautious and taking good care of you. Sending you lots of hugs.

Everything's humming along for me, been busy but I can't really remember what've ive actually done. I'm coming up on 120 days pretty soon. Yay! Happy AF Friday everyone.

Roobs

Comment

Quick hello!

CONGRATULATIONS, Dutch!

Great to see you Jane - what an experience. That is so sad for the boy's family and for you. Hope that shoulder surgery helps...

Hi, Lil, Frances. Good to see you pop in.

I am looking forward to the spring very much - beautiful weather here and it is great to get some sunshine on my skin. Very happy for the weekend!

xo
                    Pav

Comment

Still feeling sluggish. I seem to be able to handle less in the stress department these days - and can't multi task like I used to without getting really overwhelmed. I have noticed this since stopping drinking - though maybe I was just numbing this sensation while drinking? Or maybe it's just that I'm over that 40 yr. old hill and the brain starts declining? Either way, I miss my sharp mind and endless energy. Maybe its the weather or just a phase. Isn't PAWS supposed to be immediately after withdrawal from alcohol? Hmph. Sigh. Blah. That's where I'm at. Looking forward to sleeping this weekend!

Wishing everyone well.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Evening, all.
                        Wonderful, thought-provoking posts, as usual.
                        Jane/Wags, what horrendous experiences you have had. I am so sorry this happened to you both. I wish speedy healing for you. I have learned some very important lessons right here in this nest....one day at a time. Gentle hugs to you!

I also wish I had stopped this madness years before I did. I thought Id be losing out if I did. Little did I know! That whole first year I tried to quit and kept falling, I was full of justifications (denial). What a shame. If I could have known that stopping and STAYING stopped, would be the best decision Id ever made, maybe that would have convinced me. Only the gift of time and distance can give you this freedom from these lying, crippling thoughts. Continuting to start and stop did nothing but make me MORE miserable. For us, we are either stopped or we are drinking....just no middle ground. Stick with your quit, you will NEVER regret it, I sure havent. I can promise you this, you will always regret it when you choose to drink.
                        Its only Friday, not a ticket to BoozeVille! Byrdie
                        Last edited by Byrdlady; March 10, 2017, 07:36 PM.
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

afternoon nesters

Damn i have been busy but still log in twice a day and read what everyone has been up to. Its nice to keep and eye on my mwo family.

LS age is just an age so i learnt. I gave up drinking just before my 50th and as byrd says i wish i had done it sooner. My life is so much calmer (mind wise) and easier to deal with now. I still have not managed to have my mid life crisis and next month i am 53. i dont feel 53 and maybe the mirror does some days but i am healthier and feel more alive than when i drank. I am going through menopause and some days i have pure anger and that is hard to understand mentally but i am learning to warn people especially the man, poor dear! Best of luck with your op,you will be okay and more so now you dont drink.

Happy 2 years Dutch, a huge wonderful achievement and i still look back at what was and what is now and for the life of me i cant understand what got me to the dark place i was at. Now life is doable, achievable and worth living to the fullest.

Jane/wags, proud of you both for getting through your stressful times sober and i do so hope you both come out of this stronger.

Spending a long weekend with the man and he has his twin grandsons for a couple of days. We went shopping this morning for gumboots and it was hilarious, one child in one direction, another somewhere else, me sitting on the floor with a pile of shoes around me and people walking past just looking. Its lovely to have the mind peace now i am older, i dont have to rush to buy shoes, i dont have to be a perfect mum, i can be a happy step nana and enjoy the 4 year olds as i should. I know when they go home i will sleep for a year. I want their energy bottled for my use.

Mario i know when you are a parent it is for life. My daughter turns 30 this year and i am still there for her and always will be. Being a mum is one of my greatest achievements in life, the other being sober.

Well feeding time at the zoo as i call it.

Take care x
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well, it did snow today as predicted but only an inch or so, no big deal. The sun came out & melted most of it right away, ha ha.

Kensho, moods swings come & go especially when the seasons change. I wouldn't dwell on it, just stay busy. Spring will be here in 10 days & we are all likely to be happier. I found it did get harder to concentrate on most things after 40. Just wait until you turn 60, ugh!!! I just have to keep laughing at myself or I would cry most days, ha ha. We returned our granddaughter to her owners late this afternoon. It was fun having a bubbly 6 year old here for a few days

Frances, nice to see you!

Byrdie, hope you are feeling better my friend!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Day 21 - Slipped up last night. Cause would be celebrating sale of block tha'ts been a problem for a long time and not much food in my stomach.

Bought beer and cigs. - Unfortunately, shed caught fire and destroyed all my tools documents and equipment . It also destroyed remaining beer and smokes which I don't miss so back sober again and grateful I don't have any leftover .Have to wait till Monday to find out about insurance. Hope all goes well
                              Last edited by Neo; March 10, 2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Neo - Sorry to hear about your slip up, and then the fire, but glad it took away the rest of your beer and cigs. Get right back to it and you can still celebrate in a different way!

Kensho - I think that mental fog or difficulty multi-tasking can be due to many different things. I've had friends warn me that they went through periods of this as they went through their 40s. I didn't really have that, but I was drinking many of those years so who knows - maybe I just don't remember! Whatever the cause for you, no reason to go back to drinking right? I hope you get some good sleep this weekend.

In Wagland, they did NOT find the truck that hit me after all. Well, I don't think so anyway. I saw pics and then the truck itself but it really didn't look right to me. Granted, I was pretty stressed and freaked out during the brief seconds I saw it after the accident, so I could be wrong. I'll have to rely on the police to invesigate, but my hopes are no longer up.

I also saw my Dr today, and he wants me to take at least one more week off from work. The results of my xrays and scans came in, and I've got some disc issues that he's rather concerned about - wants to see if we can reverse the course of things so I won't ultimately need surgery. Sigh. I'm tired of pain, I know many of you can relate from your own injuries or other medical issues - it's just so exhausting. But I will not drink. Tomorrow will mark the completion of my 33rd week AF, so I'm gonna get some ice cream just because.
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X