Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Late check in as had a long work day on Friday, then a 10K race on Saturday - I took up running once I stopped drinking, having never run before - did a few 5K's, and was encouraged to try a 10K - did not too badly, but there was beer after and mimosas for post race breakfast - everyone was celebrating and I was sorely tempted, but gave away my two beer tickets and had water with breakfast - I am glad, but did feel a bit left out.
    Today the sun is shining and spent a little time in the garden - feeling good, and keeping on going one foot in front of the other!
    Haven't taken time to read back, just needed to check in, so hope all are doing well.
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I suppose we are all prepared for the 12-18" of snow that has been projected for this area. I could certainly do quite well without any because I am ready for spring & flowers & all that good stuff.

Lil, I didn't know they named the storm Stella - that's hysterical, ha ha! Here's hoping Stella goes somewhere else

Great job on the 10K SL. I have never ever been a runner & there's no chance of my starting now with a messed up foot.

Byrdie, it's funny how 1 hour is just enough to throw everything out of whack. The time change always confuses my dogs

LS, glad you are doing well & here with us!

Kensho, your son sounds like a guy who knows what he wants, good for him. 11 year old boys are awfully awkward, boy do I remember. I was so happy when my son grew out of that phase.

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest.

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

LS - glad you are back and tucked in here with us. I missed you.

Lav - I truly ope you don't get clobbered with that much snow, and I'm glad you're prepared in case you do. So nice of you to think of the birds and keep the feeder loaded.

Byrdie - glad you're mostly feeling better, even with the moon face. How much longer on the prednisone? Sounds like quite an ordeal!

Neo - hope all went well with the insurance

Kensho - love that your son has blue hair. That is a hard age, but it sounds like you're giving him good support and helping him find his own style with some guidance as well.

SL - congrats on the 10K and giving your beer tix away - two big things to celebrate!

Interesting to hear several folks mention drinking dreams recently. I just remembered I had one of my few ever drinking dreams the other night. The entire dream was so strange though, and when I woke up the drinking part hardly caught my attention. So glad it wasn't real though!

I had a thought the other day - I'm feeling very strong with my quit in terms of not drinking on a day-to-day basis - not having the casual beer or two after work kind of drinking. My friends don't all know my whole story, but I know and some of the closest ones know that I can't truly drink that way anyway. What hit me though is that I haven't had many chances to build my quit against the "celebration" drink - the situations where you see a long time friend for the first time in years, or you go to a dear friend's wedding, or similar. I have a few of those events coming up in the next few months, and I'm glad I realized in advance that I have small holes in my quit plan. I will now think ahead and set myself up for success. Otherwise, those are the exact types of situations where I would make a "just this once" excuse and join in the drinking. Nope, not this girl. I will plan for these celebrations and ensure that I don't partake. Whew!
        Last edited by wagmor; March 13, 2017, 10:16 AM.
        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning Nesters!
          After a weekend of painting walls and hanging curtains and playing poker for ice cream, I'm beat!
          Good to read back and see how everyone is doing..

Wags, I'm glad you have another week off to recover further. I sure hope your body is able to heal completely and without surgery. Good thoughts on preparing for upcoming events.. I'll be happy when I'm at that point instead of where I am now, still needing to watch out very carefully on a daily basis. For me, it comes out of Nowhere. The morning can be fine, I'm feeling stronger than ever and at some point, BAM, I'm thinking of drinking and have to pull out all the tools not to.
          Annoying. I know it will get less with time.. one day at time!

LS, I am also very happy that you are back in the Nest. I never thanked you for the PM when I went AWOL.. I appreciated it very much. I just wasn't ready to face the truth again..:hug:

SL, way to go with the 10K! I'm envious.. And good for you for giving away those drink tickets.. I sort of understand wanting to drink a cold beer after a race.. but on the other hand, it seems so stupid. After doing the work to prepare for the race, and then the natural high one feels after finishing..? But I guess most people really do stop after one or two. Not me.. I would carry on with a few litres more and then not be able to run for the next couple of days, at least! How's it going with the yoga?

ADP, liked what you had to say about hindsight.. Thank you for sharing that.
          I know that when I finally get enough sober time under my belt to feel like THIS IS my life, I will only wish I'd stuck with it sooner. I can see that clearly through the posts of Byrdie, Lav, Ava and Pav, Mario, NS, and so many others showing the way. I don't feel it yet..that's not true.. at times I do.

Lav, I'll be interested to hear whether or not you got snow..? I was thinking yesterday that I should begin planting seeds on my balcony.. everyone was running around here with spring fever, putting the pressure on! But I'm fairly sure we usually get a few more very cold days in March.. think I'll wait a bit.

Kensho, it is so painful to see how cruel kids can be.. it's great that your son has you to support him and that he's not afraid to show who he is..or maybe afraid, but doing it anyway.. building strength, confidence! My older daughter has that but the younger one struggles.. which worries me and makes me sad. I guess we all know from experience that when we're judgemental/critical it's because we're not feeling great about ourselves.. I think it helps the girls a bit to at least know where it's coming from and why.? To know that it actually doesn't have anything to do with them..

How are you doing today, Neo? So sorry to hear about the fire.. very scary.

I hope everyone has a nice and easy Monday. I'm waiting at the moment for the phone guy to come and install internet and landline.. between 8-13..? Crazy.

Comment

Howdy folks. I'm feeling a strong case of procrastination. Gosh I get it badly at times. I must be ready to be done with this current project! I have a list of what has to get done today - (#'s 1 and 2 on a list of 10), so I will at least do something.

I also got checked by the Doctor. Still waiting for blood work on thyroid, adrenals, gluten and blood sugar, but she feels my ailments are anxiety. I'm embarrassed and relieved. Though she does believe I experience migraine variant headaches (migraine symptoms affecting balance, eyesight and muscles without the pain of a headache). It's always good when they eliminate the really bad stuff, but I feel a little dumb.

Anyway, going to get started on #1.

Have a good day everyone.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hope everyone has a cosy night in the nest tonight. Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well, we have blizzard warnings blowing up our phone but not a flake of snow has fallen yet, ha ha! I'm sure it will start when we are sleeping & unaware. The chickens will be cooped up for several days & will be cranky but what can you do?

I will check in tomorrow & let you know how much snow we have. I just hope we don't lose power this time, that's not fun.
                Hang I there everyone, there is a lot of good life without AL just waiting for you

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Morning all in the Nest

Just saying hello on a bright sunny morning here in the Highlands

Comment

Good morning nesters, Heavy rain here at the moment, buts its not cold which is the main thing for me.

I woke up yesterday in a bad mood, did my mediation but did not want to come on here, did not want to do my exercises, kinda fed up with the whole world, as the day went on the mood lifted & I had a very good day overall.

Looking back over why this happened & all I can put it down to I was feeling sorry for myself, sulking and silent scorn, I was happy & glad the way I went through it later & how I dealt with it, As i am still learning myself everyday.

Hi Lostsoul nice to see you here with your honest & inspiring posts.

Hi Scottishlass you seem to be doing well, good for you.

Forgot to say hi to lifechange to ;-)

Kensho hope everything works out well.

Lavader & Byrdlady always a pleasure to read your posts here,

Neo how you doing out there ?
                    Last edited by mario; March 14, 2017, 06:21 AM.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I was in a bad mood, too, Mario! I am making a point to TRY and not complain today...about anything! I'm going to find the BRIGHT SIDE of everything today, I really do have so much for which to be thankful!
                      Hoping to hear back from a customer about a meeting, if so, I will be hitting the road shortly.

Wishing everyone an easy day! Byrdie
                      Last edited by Byrdlady; March 14, 2017, 06:20 PM. Reason: Spelled my name wrong!
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good morning all,
                        I've been avoiding posting in here for a bit but I'm ready to get honest. I had 30+ days and then this weekend decided I could (and deserved) to handle it when hanging out with my friends on Saturday, so I went ahead and drank. Luckily I didn't end up on a crazy bender like I have before, but I'm still disappointed that I gave in. But I want to keep being honest with myself and working at my sobriety, so here I am, starting this journey once again with you all.

I had about a month or so of no work where I was able to throw everything at my drinking. I went to an AA meeting every day, exercised, wrote in my journal and did as much work on myself as possible, and also wrote in here. I got a new job, which is great, but as you can imagine has thrown me into an entirely different kind of weekly schedule. I can't go to the meeting that I was previously because it's far from work and at noon. I've tried to find other meetings, but frankly, feeling tired at the end of the day it's easy to head straight home. Still, I found meetings that I can go to after work for the rest of the week, and will be posting in the roll call here every morning again.

I'm thankful I'm not in here as depressed and upset as I have been in the past, but I am disappointed that I gave up over a month of no drinking. But now I know I can be strong enough to get there, and I'm just going to dust myself off and go for it. Thanks for listening <3

Comment

Deja - Sorry to hear about your slip but appreciate your honesty. Yep, dust yourself off and hop right back into the nest. Congrats on the new job - definitely great news. Now hopefully you can settle into your new schedule and double down on your quit. Look forward to seeing you back in the roll call as well.

Mario and Byrdie - It isn't fun to be in a bad mood, but it sounds like you both worked through yours and came out on the other side. Thanks for sharing your ups and downs, and feathers of support to you both!

I'm exhausted and a little bit depressed. It has now been 4 weeks since my accident, and I'm really starting to resent that some coward came blasting into my life, turned it upside-down, and then took off instead of shouldering his responsibility. I'm angry that this has set me back so much, caused me so much pain, kept me off work for several weeks, etc. I just want to be done!

The good news is that I'm clinging to my quit like nobody's business. It's one of the few things I have total control over right now and I'm going to nurture it for all it's worth.

I'm also trying to take advantage of my down-time by looking and applying for new jobs. I've been self-employed for more than 6 years and in many ways I love it, but I'm also kind of itching to be part of a team again and to be less than 100% responsible for absolutely everything. Truthfully, I'm also hoping to find a gig where I don't have to commute in horrible traffic most days. I'm still pretty traumatized about driving, and I just don't want to spend that much of my time doing something that was already stressful before my accident.

Fingers and feathers crossed that one of my applications will hit a good target and I'll have a new opportunity to pursue.

Happy day/night in the nest everyone!
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Well, the big storm came & went leaving a bit of damage behind that we have to clean up. Some broken tree limbs, not a big deal but the broken fence around the chicken yard is a big deal!!! All the girls were cooped up inside so no one was hurt, ha ha. The weight of the snow/ice combined with gusting winds just wrecked my 13 year old fence. Not much of a chance getting in there to begin fixing anything until the ice melts
                            I am grateful for a very nice neighbor who came over & plowed the entire driveway for us, yay!

Byrdie & Mario, we just had a full moon which could account for the mood swings. Glad you are both OK

Deja, drinking is always a decision we make (I don't really believe in slips). It is easy to convince ourselves that it's OK, just this one time, etc, etc. I know because I did that myself for too many years. I finally quit for good when I got so tired of disappointing myself over & over. Glad you came right back & are determined to start again.

Wags, you will continue to heal physically & emotionally. These things take time & can't be rushed. Glad to hear you are thinking about the future, job changes & all that good stuff. Wishing you the very best

I hope everyone has a safe night in the nest. It's way too cold out, I'm staying right in front of the fireplace

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi all,
                              Hope everyone is well tonight in the nest x
                              My youngest has been sick yesterday & today and running a fever last night - so sleep was a bit lacking but as little ones go - bounce back so quickly & seems much better now!

Kensho, glad hear your dr doesn't think your ailments are due to anything really serious :heartbeat: & you totally did the right thing getting checked out - better safe than sorry & at least your not worrying about the worst x

SL - again I take my hat off to you, I'm terrible at exercise (& smoke...) at least I can say "I dont drink..." Hope the girls are good x

Thanks Wags I appreciate it :hug: I am so sorry about the news you got about the truck Though I think youre really managing so well with such an unpleasant experience & it's great your holding onto your quit so tight.

LC, no worries I remember how exciting but also stressful moving & getting settled was & having literally no time! Glad your op was successful & your back (I missed my quit buddy!)

Lav, I hope you get some spring soon, there has definitely been a change in the air here this week... so i'm hopeful!

Byrdie, you've got through alot lately & always have such a positive attitude - I hope you will feel better soon & hope your meeting goes well x
                              Nice to see you Tony!

Hi Deja, sorry you had a drink at the weekend - well done on your 30 days & it's great to hear your feeling generally less down than before x I had a slip on the 29th Dec after about 6 weeks & it really knocked my confidence but I found it definately takes less time to recover from compared to at the start so it's good to get straight back in like you're doing x

Sorry you weren't feeling great yesterday Mario but good to hear you improved as the day went on. Though sending a big hug anyway x That's really kind of you to say, not sure about inspiring but do try to be honest x

Wishing all a safe & sober Tuesday
                              LS
                              To see a world in a grain of sand
                              And a heaven in a wildflower.
                              Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                              And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Cross post Lav, gosh, I didn't realise your storm was so serious - glad none of your chickens were hurt or escaped x
                                To see a world in a grain of sand
                                And a heaven in a wildflower.
                                Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                                And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Working...
                                X