Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi,

I'm here! I was away and totally unplugged for the weekend and leaped right back into work yesterday. What a treat to be away from my computer for three days!

I don't have time to read back right now except the last page. Deja - good on you for coming back. It is good to reflect and figure out what went wrong so you can avoid it in the future. I recommend reading your first post here and trying to conjure that feeling you had when you signed up - it works for me!

Lav - there was a piece on The News Hour today about sweaters for chickens. Maybe you should get to knitting??

Hope all is well.

Pav

Comment

Good morning nesters, all busy here this morning, thanks for the support & well wishes. I feeling good & confident today & feel good how I handled my emotions/mind the other day. Its all a learning experience.

For most folks drinking was a release from care & boredom & worry, It meant joyous intimacy with friends & a big feeling that life is good.
      But not so with us, especially in the last few years/months/days of heavy addiction, All the benefits & pleasures were gone, There was an insistent yearning to enjoy life as we once did & a heart-breaking delusion that some new miracle of control would enable us to do it, There was always one more attempt ...& one more failure.

We are all here because we are sick, we are not normal drinkers in any sense, I have over 8 years clean & sober but I still know & accept that I cannot just have the one, For me accepting that makes it so much easier & the temptation to do so is not in me anymore, Actually I wonder now why I bothered in the first place, If I could turn back time...

have a good day folks, me rushing again this morning.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Mario so true. I'm nearing my 4 year anniversary and yet I know without a doubt that one drink is just as dangerous now as it was on day 1 of my journey. On of the keys for my success compared to other attempts is the fact that I completely accept the fact that I can't and won't drink again. Complete and total submission. For me it's the only way. On a personal note I fell through a rotten floor and in catching myself shattered my shoulder joint. I started on oxy but stopped..the idea of another addiction scares the crap out of me. Tylenol for the time being. Once I get the surgery out of the way I can add ibuprofen. If anyone has any ideas on pain management without narcs I'm all ears
        Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Mario, your post is WORD.
          I remember early on in my quit when Lav told me to stop bullshitting myself (in so many words, I'm paraphrasing). I was offended, of course, as we addicts are very sensitive about our 'little problem'. The plain truth was, if I could control drinking IN ANY WAY, I certainly would not have joined, and participated in, an online forum for problem drinking (if I were admitting that, which I wasn't). There are just TWO BIG HURDLES to overcome on the path to recovery (I think, my opinion only). They are DENIAL and ACCEPTANCE. Denial is a bear to accept! If we think about it, when we first make ourselves known here in the nest and make that first post, we are seeking some help with this thing that has gotten out of control. It is a shame that we won't listen to the tried and true facts related to the recovery of this thing we bear. We will BELIEVE anything that proves these people wrong.....I WILL BE THE EXCEPTION. Sadly, that is not the case. We are the RULE. It is HARD to accept that we can NEVER drink again. It's scary as hell. But the scarier part is NOT stopping. Seeing people all around who fall and worrying that I will be the next one. If this place has taught me ONE THING it's that this is something that IS under my control. In my many years of drinking, no one ever forced it down my throat, it was always a decision I made. Now, my decision is to NOT drink. NOT one, NOT ever. This stuff is out to kill us and I gave it every shot imaginable.....and so have all of us. The only next best decision you can make is to stop.....for good. For everyone's good. This thing doesn't JUST affect us, there is a very wide ripple around us....our loved ones. You just wouldn't believe what they are enduring (and you may not even know it). Recently, a friend of mine from MWO and spouse were talking....the conversation came up that my hubs (of then, 24 years) packed up and walked out....this person's spouse said, 'I was there, too....you just didn't see it, I was ready to get out myself'. This came as a shock to the person....we think we aren't hurting anyone but ourselves, but nothing could be further from the truth.
          It doesn't matter why you may have relapsed in the past....today is a new day. Make the decision to get AL out of your life once and for all and you will never regret it. Going back 'one more time' only begins the cycle all over. Only considerable time and distance from AL can let you see clearly what it does to us. Feeding the beast keeps it ALIVE. Staying sober is a CHOICE and we all make it every hour of every day.
          Stay close to your support.
          Stay away from temptation.
          Stick with your decision....no matter what and no matter who.
          It is ALWAYS worth it. Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Sorry about your injury, TJAF. Avoiding the narcotics sounds like a good call.

If Byrdie's post wasn't inspiring enough, here's a post Ben Affleck put on his FB page last night:
            I have completed treatment for alcohol addiction; something I've dealt with in the past and will continue to confront. I want to live life to the fullest and be the best father I can be. I want my kids to know there is no shame in getting help when you need it, and to be a source of strength for anyone out there who needs help but is afraid to take the first step. I'm lucky to have the love of my family and friends, including my co-parent, Jen, who has supported me and cared for our kids as I've done the work I set out to do. This was the first of many steps being taken towards a positive recovery.
            The responses to his post are so encouraging. Read them like they are written to YOU because in many ways, they are - in this one area of our lives, we essentially are the same.

Comment

Good morning everyone,

Happy ides of March!
              Today I'll have some time to read back on so many posts. Today is day 120 for me! I'm feeling proud. thanks to all of you for helping me get there.
              Roobs

Comment

Good Morning!

TJAF - I am so sorry. Shoulders are so useful and important - an injury to one is horrible! I don't have any pain management tips except ice and rest. I hope you get to have your surgery soon.

CONGRATULATIONS Roobs! 120 is a huge milestone. YOu should feel proud.

I'm with you, Mario and Byrdie. The most important aspect to my remaining sober is the acceptance that I can't drink again. That way when I encounter stressful, sad or happy occasions that would in the past include booze, I know that I have to get through them without alcohol and then I can plan accordingly.

Happy Hump Day. Take care of yourselves, and DON'T DRINK!

Pav

Comment

TJAF,I take a supplement with bromelain and turmeric that's supposed to be good for pain,I don't have any links but if you do a Google there's some good info,waves to all
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

TJAF - I've had some great pain relief with a TENS unit. Not sure where you live (which country) but you should be able to get one without a Dr's prescription (used to be required in the U.S. but not anymore) for less than $50 and they work wonders.
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Been stuck in a blizzard! I'm sticking my head out of the snow to check in here!
                      I am ok, still sober, and still shoveling!
                      Will read back later. I hope everyone is doing ok.
                      Day 1 again 11/5/19
                      Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                      Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                      Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                      11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                      12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

TJAF,
                        I have found vitamin B complex to help with pain. You can take this with other things including paracetamol, but I use this for occasional muscle pain. Hope this helps, Ax

Oh I nearly forgot.............it helps with memory too..............ooppppsssss! :-) :-)
                        Last edited by ADP; March 15, 2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Roobs, 4 months is EPIC! So proud of you! Well done and keep it up! :yay:

TJAF! I swear by my heating pad. Hope you feel better soon!
                          Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Sounds like everyone had a pretty good Hump Day
                            We're still trying to remove the ice & snow from essential areas & do so damage control in the chicken yard. None of this is easy with these freezing gusting winds. Saw my husband fall on the ice in the driveway today & thought there's no way I can pick him up, ha ha. He was fine, thank goodness.

Roobs, CONGRATS on your 120 :yay:

TJ, sorry about your injury, ouch!
                            I don't blame you about the Rx meds, don't like them either. For now ice & immobilization is your best bet, I would avoid a heating pad - dry heat is not good, warm shower is OK. I hope you get it repaired soon & wish you a speedy recovery.

Glad to see everyone working their plans & moving forward
                            Wishing a peaceful night for all.

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

131 days!! I have been sober for 131 days!!

But nothing is safe. I can't let my guard down. I must protect my quit like a newborn baby, that needs my attention constantly.

I was just reminded how vulnerable I am by a simple text from an old friend. Amazing how certain things kick up bad thoughts and you realize you are only one decision from being flat on your face again.

It's also really hard to see some people stay the same or get worse in their habits. What I used to see as normal I can now see as plain as day that it's far from normal.

131 days, wow.
                              Day 1 again 11/5/19
                              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Nursie - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
                                "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                                X