Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters, very windy here, but not cold & I haven't seen or touched snow in years :-) me a sunshine man.

Congratulations Roobs, very well done on your achievement .

Nursie great work & also very well done, I do hope you both are enjoying your sobriety as having the quality of our sober life is as much part as having the quantity in days.

I a man of few words today so I just leave it there, & hope you all have a good positive day no matter where you are & stay safe.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Originally posted by mario View Post
      For me accepting that makes it so much easier & the temptation to do so is not in me anymore, Actually I wonder now why I bothered in the first place, If I could turn back time...
      Mario, your posts are often so insightful. I couldn't believe that I didn't miss drinking when I was sober from 2011-2015. It's not the last year and a half of misery that keeps me inspired not to drink now. It's the four years of not craving, wanting or missing it. Weddings and funerals? Who cares. A night out with friends? Didn't matter. I didn't lose anything by not drinking. Who knew?

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
      ...We will BELIEVE anything that proves these people wrong.....I WILL BE THE EXCEPTION. ...We are the RULE.
      Ha! hahahaha. Oh, yes. I love that I can come here and realize I'm not only not the exception, I prove the rule. Active addiction sucks. I can't remember how many days I have (around 40-ish?), but it's been long enough and my brain is working enough now to remember how good it is to stay sober. What a relief.

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
      If this place has taught me ONE THING it's that this is something that IS under my control.
      Well, I couldn't control my drinking once I relapsed. I could control taking care of myself before that happened, but didn't. I lost the plot and caused my relapse (which took a long time, actually), which happened when I was under severe stress. My grandma died. My beloved dog died. I was under immense (self-induced) anxiety-inducing stress in life. I stopped exercising, eating, taking care of myself... I stopped taking baclofen. By the time I realized what was going on, it was almost impossible to start taking care of myself again. I was already heading toward active addiction and didn't know it.

I hate that I relapsed, and it was hell. But I know much more now than I used to know. Like the fact that what I can control, like managing stress before it's out of control, and taking care of myself, is more important than anything else. Not that it's easy. Simple. But not easy. *sigh*

And I know I can't and won't drink today. Which is such a relief! Yay!

Happy AF day, Nesters! :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:
      Last edited by Ne/Neva Eva; March 16, 2017, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Evening nesters

Congratulations to Roobs and Nursie, its a nice warm feeling to see nesters getting the big numbers. Not that any number is not fuzzy and warm but getting through the first few months is a hard slog and now its seeing light in that tunnel and realising this can be done. Thats how i felt when i got into the 100's and i have never looked back. Great work.

Great posts Mario and Byrd. I found for me when i first stopped drinking that i had to leave my ego at the door and i had to listen to those that went before me, i had to accept that i could not drink (never was not a word i thought about) and i had to be accountable. If i drank any amount then i f*cked up plain and simple and i was over f*cking up, i'd done enough of that with drinking. I couldnt understand how my life could possibly be any better if i gave up al but i had to listen and i had to believe. Now i totally know that my life is better and that the work i have put in is so worth it. Worth it for me and for my family. I have met a man after 8+ years who makes me happy and i know i deserve that, the course i am doing was a dream that i never thought i could accomplish and i know that it is me that has made this happen and only me that can keep the momentum up. At the start of my journey i never ever thought that A: i could stop drinking and B: that life would be good. Boy was i wrong and i am no different than anyone starting sobriety, now i have just have sober time which i never intend to give up.

I had a 2 plus hour drive home from work today where there was a bad accident with fatalities. 3 years ago i would have been cursing as it would cut into my drinking time, today i was sad for the people who died and so grateful to be alive. I got home, had a cuppa and went to the gym with my son.

Off to bed for me, its been a long 4 days and next week is the dentist and to see a stress psychologist. never a dull moment now.

Take care x
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

I have read many of your posts and am encouraged that sobriety is possible. I have leaned on alcohol for so many years but am tired of this hazardous life partner that I've chosen betraying me and making me ill. I have neglected God, family, work and friends for the alcohol dragon. I want to move forward - I have one day of sobriety - yesterday and starting out sober today. It's a beginning. I just have to watch and not get overwhelmed by shame (from drinking so long) and anxiety of actually "feeling". It's been a long time since I've really felt my true emotions before numbing them with a bottle or two of wine. Thank you all for posting your experiences. It gives me inspiration that I can do this with the help of God and family.

Comment

For me Pan it's Day 1 again. I did a 40 day stint followed by a 3 weeks stint and screwed up this last week. I have no alcohol or cigs in house and am looking forward to getting back on track with this .Make sure you remove temptations from your house .I also have had a dental implant and don't want it to fail cos I was too stupid not to quit while allowing it to heal

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post
              For me Pan it's Day 1 again. I did a 40 day stint followed by a 3 weeks stint and screwed up this last week. I have no alcohol or cigs in house and am looking forward to getting back on track with this .Make sure you remove temptations from your house .I also have had a dental implant and don't want it to fail cos I was too stupid not to quit while allowing it to heal
              Neo - have you thought of just quitting one thing at a time.
              It's just dificult to quit both alcohol and cigarettes together.

"If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one."

Comment

Both go hand in hand. I don't think there is much more discomfort than already is. I spent $2000 getting this implant 11 days ago and thank god I didn't smoke in the first week initial heal .The question now is, do I want this to fail or give it the best chance to heal.?

Using this as my "Why" I must quit, is going to give me a stronger reason to stay off. The reason I failed is I didn't have much/hardly anything to eat all day which was the worst thing I could do as this has helped keep me off

Smoking dialates blood vessels in Gums that need nutrients to heal. There are 2 ways they can implant. One with a healing cap which is completely covered by the gum when healing and an abutment which protrudes. I think the healing cap option gave me the best chance from stuff like smoking slip ups etc. Also had antibiotics over first week to kill any infection

If you have a machine gun ,you can kill 2 rabbits in one go
                Last edited by Neo; March 16, 2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Neo, thanks for the advise and yes I have gotten all the alcohol out of the house. I admire you're determination to quit cigs and alcohol. What is they say, "Never stop quitting" ?. I've quit a dozen time but want to try and do some spiritual healing this time as well as physical. Good luck and thanks for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post

If you have a machine gun ,you can kill 2 rabbits in one go
                    :haha:
                    Now Neo we are not out to murder the bunnies just catch them :haha:

Comment

Hi all, I hope everyone is well tonight?
                      I now have two sick children on my hands, so I am literally upside down today... & I am sure they'll be all better by the weekend & I will feel like death. For now im just tired & ready to sleep.

Welcome to MWOF Pan :welcome: I have found being in the company of like minded folk really helpful in finding 'my wayout'. Certainly being here in the knowledge that your struggling alone makes the path to sobriety a manageable feat x

Congratulations to you Roobs on your 120 day milestone & Nursie on your 131 days! So pleased for you both x

TJAF, sorry to hear about your accident & hope you find pain relief that agrees with you. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Byrdie, what a powerful post. The level of acceptance you have is well earned & steadfast. I don't think don't think you have anything to worry about & I am glad you are here :hug:

Mario, normal drinkers we are not, in any sense & the choice not to drink & gradually build acceptance is worth it & being here with other alkies really helps. We are all the same & in this together.

Lav, hope damage control goes well & glad your husband is alright!

Neva, I think I can relate to your post because although I don't under any circumstances suggest a slip or relapse is not very dangerous because there is no guarantee you will recover from it, whilst a relapse can take you back to where you left off drinking - for me, recovery is very different from the first period of sobriety that I had. I think I said I was too long in the tooth for the excitement like my first time & generally my journey is quite boring for others to hear about. I'm just a mum.
                      It sounds like you had a very difficult time & glad you are feeling confidence in your quit :happy2:

NS, thankyou for the signposting to Ben Afflecks FB. I think he is very brave & thinks it's helpful for at anyone at any stage of sobriety. I think I always will be challenged by realisation. Not constantly, but there can be reminders in daily life that I am an alcoholic, & not always positively so this can test my self belief & resolve to be AF. I think Ben Afflecks choice to publicise resonates with me because he's sending a message that he is not ashamed or afraid of being an alcoholic & you don't have to be either. Thankyou x

Ava, good luck with your apps. & really like hearing how you are enjoying your sobriety. Sounds like you got through a very stressful day x

Neo, sorry you drank :hug: stay close & ask if you need anything

Waves to Pav, Pauly, Wags, Nora, ADP, Satz & everyone else!
                      Thankyou for helping me on my AF path x
                      Wishing all a safe & sober Thursday
                      LS
                      Last edited by Lost Soul; March 16, 2017, 05:38 PM. Reason: Left a bit out
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wildflower.
                      Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                      And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Hey Pan, If you buy a slab or block you are going to drink them. I slipped up on weekend and you think maybe you can but after a few days you will end up drinking them

Comment

You are so right Neo. I've made that mistake in times past. I ALWAYS end up drinking whatever is in the house. So, I just can't have any AL here at all. It's evening here and that's always my "wine time" although I've been known to drink in the morning as well. Just trying to stay busy and keep my thoughts elsewhere than on drinking. I'm sorry that you had a slip this weekend but so glad you jumped right back on board to work on your sobriety again.

Comment

LS thank you so much for the welcome and the encouraging words. Hope your children are better soon!

Comment

Evening, all!
                              Welcome abaord, Pan! We are so glad you found us. I cant think of a better place on Earth to get the help you need to quit! We will be right beside you.
                              Yes, getting all the AL out of the house is a big key. Also, rememebr to EAT. Many times, we mistake hunger for a craving (most of us arent used to eating our calories).
                              So glad you are here! Please feel free to ask us anything, we have likely seen or done it all! Hugs to you, Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We are still chipping away at the ice & snow here (literally with a sledge hammer & other tools of destruction), oh boy.

Hello & welcome PanhandleKim, glad you decided to join us
                                You have made a great decision to give AL the boot & have a good life.
                                Be sure you visit the https://www.mywayout.org/community/mo...-tool-box.html for some great ideas to help you make your plan.

nursie, awesome on 131 days!

neva, never quit quitting, right? Sometimes we have to lose something important & precious before we wake up & realize the truth. Hang in with us, we are making great strides here in the nest!

Ava, you deserve much happiness & I'm happy to hear you are finding now.

Neo, make that all important choice & no more AL in the house, right?

Hello to LS, Byrdie & all the nestlings
                                Have a safe night in the nest everyone.

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X