Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Sounds like everyone had a good day - except for Ava, sorry!
    I hope you can meditate that office manager away......

Pan, Congrats again on your 7 AF days!!

Kensho, my favorite dessert? Good question as I am no longer wanting real sweet stuff. I found a recipe today for vegan chocolate chip scones & boy are they good. Not too sweet & great with a cup of coffee
    My glasses are good for driving & good for reading but not real good staring at a computer screen for long periods of time. Guess I need a separate pair for that, don't know.

Lil, geez your camping adventure sounded rather dangerous - don't do stuff like that!!! Ha ha. I did hurt myself really badly nearly 17 years ago but I was sure it didn't have anything to do with the wine I had been guzzling all day I too am lucky to be alive!

Hey there wags, AG, Mario, Byrdie & everyone.
    Have a safe night in the nest one & all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Embarrassed to be back again after some good successes but I know how valuable support from the nest is in my recovery and I'm counting on it as I deal with al.

I'm not making excuses, no one forced me to drink. Last summer my wife was diagnosed with Parkinson's and together we've been dealing with her treatment. As a care partner, seeing her cope as well as she has, while stressful, has been encouraging.

Then a few weeks ago we had to put down our beloved dog, a 14 1/2 year old border collie cross. I first saw her when she was only 9 days old. I was smitten and had to have her. She was my constant companion and a great friend.

So, I've had lots of excuses to drink but I know it's up to me to do something about it.

Today is Day 2
      Last edited by Quit wining; March 22, 2017, 07:10 PM.
      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Hi QW! Welcome back. I'm sorry it has been difficult with your wife's diagnosis and - my gosh - losing your beloved pup on top of it. Hugs!! Nestle in and fluff your feathers, you can get back to where you were. Glad you're back.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Checking in at the end of day 8 - thank you all so much for your encouragement! It means more than you know. I never realized how much it could help just knowing that there is a supportive network out there to check-in with at the end of each day.

Byrdie -I love the two cheeked salute! Made my day!!!

Ava - saying prayers for you...

Mario - I love the tornado analogy. It is so accurate and true. I live in the heart of "tornado alley" and I've seen first hand the havoc and damage one twister, even a small one, can cause. The emotional damage drinking causes to ourselves and our loved ones is absolutely comparable. Interestingly, I haven't mentioned to my husband or children that I haven't had any wine for 8 days. They of course know it - it's quite obvious when I'm sober and when I'm not. However, I have promised them so many times that I would stop, only to drink again the very next day. The "tornado" has blown through with such frequency that I just don't have the heart to give the "all clear". This fragile sobriety I am experiencing is so new. I don't want to get their hopes up and fail them yet again. I'm telling myself this is just one day at a time - sometimes one minute at a time. ANY time that I can be with my family sober is time gained for both them and me.

Praying for an AF day for all at the nest tomorrow.

Goodnight-
          Pan

Comment

QW - welcome back! Sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis and losing your dear pup. Losing my best friend dog a few years ago was wha finally tipped me over the edge and got me started drinking again. I'd made it thru quite a few other really hard things, including a divorce and my mom's cancer & passing, but when I lost my pup I felt lost myself. Big hugs to you and glad you're back here with 2 days under your belt. :hug:
            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning nesters,
              Welcome back Qw, sorry to here about your wife, You don't have to be embarrassed, If being embarrassed about our addicted lives & what we got up to stopped us coming here, there be nobody here.

Yes Pan doing it for yourself is good idea, I remember when I said I was quitting drinking everyone around me just said yea, that's nice...It wasn't till I showed how determined I was in doing the work myself for myself that the help & support started coming.

Hello to everyone else, All is good in mariosworld, because I am making it good, I am learning not to react but respond, I am learning to let it go, I am learning to embrace what I have & not be caught up on what I have not.

One day at a time, have a good day folks.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Originally posted by mario View Post
                Good morning nesters,
                Welcome back Qw, sorry to here about your wife, You don't have to be embarrassed, If being embarrassed about our addicted lives & what we got up to stopped us coming here, there be nobody here.
                So true. Great reminder Mario. One big reason this is a safe place to be honest with ourselves and each other.
                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Good morning nesters,

Ava your boss sounds like an arse! Good for you to set your boundaries. So many people/company manage by negativity. Even as adults we need positive reinforcement or an occasional pat on the back. Just a little hi five would be so much more effective than constant negative input. Hang in there!
                  Kensho, I have so many readers laying around the house or in my car. I was just saying to my husband, it's time a get a proper prescription so I stop looking really old by peering over my glasses to see far. Plus looking over my glasses forces me to bend In a way that accentuates all wrinkles in my neck!! Ugh, getting old is a pain. Literally.

QW, don't be embarrassed! I'm sorry for your stresses but you will feel so much better getting through them without alcohol. Stay close, this is a great group of people!

Roobs

Comment

Hi, Everyone:

Congratulations, Kim! One week - you've been sober every day of the week. Nowhere to go but up. Keep 'em coming.

Ava - Sorry for your work a$$holes, and sorry you don't get more support. Glad you can take some time off. I hope the funeral tomorrow is beautiful and goes well. xo

Welcome back, QW. Sorry about your wife - that is a very tough situation. And your doggie to boot? As you know, the only way out is through. I know you can do this - dust off your tool box and stay close.

Thanks for your inspiration, Mario. Good to see you, Lil.

Off to a meeting. All is fine in Pav-land.

Pav

Comment

That's the right attitude [MENTION=22328]PanhandleKim[/MENTION], one day at a time! And those one day at a times have already added up, you'll be in the double digits before you know it! Ah, if I had a dollar for all the promises I broke.... but the only promise I make anymore is to myself, each morning I promise myself that I'm going to try my hardest to get through the day without drinking, no promises to anyone else.

Great to see you back and forging ahead [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION]! Sorry to hear about the things you are going through, but you've been around enough to know that you'll be better able to handle things in the coming weeks and months by being sober, not just almost sober. Lasting sobriety can be had by all, if you're willing to work for it. It's not easy, but it's a darn sight better than the alternative!
                      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good evening, Nesters.
                        QW welcome back. Snuggle in and we will be right by your side.
                        Hope everyone has a good evening, stick with this, you'll never regret a day you spent sober! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still too cold around these parts but we are surviving.

QW, welcome back, please settle in & make yourself comfortable. Sorry about all the stressors in your life right now. I hope your wife is OK with your good care. Any thoughts about getting another pup or maybe it's too soon?

Can't believe tomorrow is Friday already. Time to make plans for an AF weekend everyone
                          Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello Nesters,
                            I've been interviewing for jobs all week. (Looking for second job). So been pretty busy but no alcohol. Still sober and each day makes me stronger.

I also wanted to share a relapse story regarding a friend of mine.
                            She had marital problems 2 years ago because of her addictions. They have 2 little kids and a wonderful relationship if she would just stay sober and not use. Well we know how that goes, right?
                            She went to rehab and gained back his trust. They slowly worked it out and became stronger. And just today she called me to tell me he found out she relapsed (she calls it a relapse when she gets caught) and her husband is demanding a divorce this time. He will take the kids until she completes a program again and can convince the judge she has changed.
                            When I asked her why, she said "my brain won't let me".
                            Now the damage is done and her family torn apart.
                            There is no going back guys. There is only moving forward. Do whatever it takes to get through this day sober.
                            Day 1 again 11/5/19
                            Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                            Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                            Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                            11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                            12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Good morning nesters ,
                              Nursie does that just not show us how strong this addiction is ? We will give up our partners & children just to have the one drink, which is never just the one drink, It shows me that this disease/addiction is as much mental as just a bad habbit, I remember when I had a choice between my children & wife years ago, it was my addiction that I choose. I shall/must never forget that.

Have a good day folks.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I put this in roll call but wanted to update here as well. I'll be absent for the next several days - we're going on a much-needed vacation and the first several days we'll be camping in a remote area with no wifi or cell service. I should be back here checking in on Mar 30 or 31. I've already laid the groundwork for NO drinking, and I've got my eye on the prize of 250 days coming up on Mar 30, so there's no way I'll slip.

This vacation comes at a time when I desperately need it. We won't be able to do as much active stuff as usual because I'm still working through the neck, back and finger injuries from my accident. But even though I've been off work for several weeks, I'm exhausted from all of the tasks in the aftermath of the accident. I've had 4-5 appts every week, plus loads of stuff related to insurance, vehicle being totaled and finding a replacement, etc. Sounds simple but isn't. Could not have done it all while drinking and I'm so grateful for my solid quit.

I might check in again this eve or tomorrow morning before we head out, but if not, I'll catch you all at the end of the month!

Stay strong everyone and stay tucked in with your feathered friends here in the nest! <3
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X