Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Attended son's choir concert tonight and it was so nice to have a clear head and not worry about smelling like alcohol. He did a great job and is on to the state choir contest tomorrow. Susie, I know the weekends are a challenge but maybe we can keep each other accountable.

Goodnight to all-
    Kim
    Last edited by PanhandleKim; April 20, 2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Had to stop by & give some more congratulations. GREAT JOB!!!
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Susie and Kim - I love how you've teamed up and are making goals to get through certain days together. Several people on here have a "quit buddy" and I've always been a little jealous that I didn't have one of my own Be sure to pop around to some of the other threads as well, especially the roll call. We have folks on there who are anything from Day One to more than 3 years. It's a really fun and motivating way to check in every day. Simply go to the most recent post, copy and paste into a new one, add yourself to the list, and voila! We have prizes and everything! :welldone:

LS - glad you liked the documentary. I just thought Marian was quite a spit fire, especially being one of the first (and at that time only) women studying the brain. It was fun to watch it with our friend who actually knows Marian. She was able to add little anecdotes as we watched, and it felt like getting to know her a bit better. So fascinating how resilient and amazing our brains truly are!

Ava - Happy (belated at this point I think) Birthday!!!

Kim - congrats on the AF night at your son's choir concert. It's such a relief to have no al things to worry about, isn't it? Hope he and his choir do well in the state contest!

Happy (almost-) Friday everyone!
        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hello Byrdie, Lav, wagmor,
          Thanks for showing concern. No medication. Doing less cycling, too much coffee 5 to 6 cups a day, bad diet snd ice cream.

I an cutting these down and lets see
          Rahul
          --------------------------------------------
          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
          Rebooting ... done ...
          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Good morning nesters , Nice to see nest active, Just a quick fly by from me n all good n the hood.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

TGIF everyone! Once again, so thankful to wake up with a clear head. I had another restful sleep last night which feels amazing! The weekend brings its challenges but tonight shouldn't be difficult. I have a school event that will keep me busy from 6-8. No alcohol served there!
              It definitely helps to have a quit buddy! Kim - I will send you a PM this weekend and check in.

Comment

Originally posted by wagmor View Post
                Susie and Kim - I love how you've teamed up and are making goals to get through certain days together. Several people on here have a "quit buddy" and I've always been a little jealous that I didn't have one of my own Be sure to pop around to some of the other threads as well, especially the roll call. We have folks on there who are anything from Day One to more than 3 years. It's a really fun and motivating way to check in every day. Simply go to the most recent post, copy and paste into a new one, add yourself to the list, and voila! We have prizes and everything! :welldone:

LS - glad you liked the documentary. I just thought Marian was quite a spit fire, especially being one of the first (and at that time only) women studying the brain. It was fun to watch it with our friend who actually knows Marian. She was able to add little anecdotes as we watched, and it felt like getting to know her a bit better. So fascinating how resilient and amazing our brains truly are!

Ava - Happy (belated at this point I think) Birthday!!!

Kim - congrats on the AF night at your son's choir concert. It's such a relief to have no al things to worry about, isn't it? Hope he and his choir do well in the state contest!

Happy (almost-) Friday everyone!
                Thank you Wagmor - I will check out the roll call. Anything that helps keep me on the sober side! These early days I find the toughest.

Comment

Wags, it sure does help to have a quit buddy. I had one that was two weeks ahead of me. I knew what she wrote, I would soon be feeling. It was like having super powers! It was VERY comforting to know that she was cutting down the brush ahead of us in these thick woods.
                  We got to 6 months and she fell. I was devastated and KNEW that I was destined to do the same....I became very distrought and depressed....BUT I realized that we each have a choice....and I was choosing NOT to fall. I saw what happened to her and tried to LEARN from it, not repeat it. That was a very hard lesson, but it remains with me. I choose my own path every day.
                  That's when I grabbed on to Lav's tail feathers extra hard (that's why she's bald in the back now :egad.

It's only Friday, NOT a ticket to BoozeVille! Stay strong eva-body! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Flying in for a check-in! Things are fairly good, and I wanted to say that it's worth the challenge to be in control of this struggle. I may have "off" days, but I don't fight with myself about drinking any more, and I am so glad! Sorry to hear you are balding in the back LAV! But way to take one for the team (Byrdie)

Hope everyone has or had a great Friday. Keep working, fighting and loving yourself!
                    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hello All,

Sometimes I wonder how God made us "addictive" people. We love to enjoy the activity / drug or anything that's rewards us. We keep over doing it and soon it becomes addiction and it messes our reward mechanism.

I used to drink and drink and drink ... always wanted more. But that's to support here I over came it alteast for now. Al is not important for me anymore.

But then as I introspect I am still addicted to lot of things. Good and bad. For as long as I remember I have been addicted to food. Tasty but unhealthy food. I don't mind eating alone finishing a pizza or sandwich. Just like AL I eat to ENJOY the food. And many a times over do it. So it is kind of an addiction. Even today I feel good I have been sober since last 3 years. But I should find myself eating along ear you second day alone in a restaurant hogging on to a sandwich of driving with a can of coke and chips.

Coffee 4 to 6 cups a day. It's not a problem.. or may. If is. I have craving for it ... not so strong as Al ... but it's there.

Cycling gets me this great rush ... some Salil it adrenaline rush. But cAn too much it also messes up the brains reward mechanism ? Not being in saddle ... I miss it !

And then the ice creams ... having it still makes me sooooo good. Ever since I left AL I have been having one or two everyday.

So I wonder when in my life I had ONLY Al. When I left it had a big withdrawal, then the happiness and as my brain rewired itself to a new state I started appreciating more and more things. My observation grew.

Question is if I control these addictive behaviors of food, sugar etc ... what do I expect ? Can it be as bad as AL ... or worse ?
                      Rahul
                      --------------------------------------------
                      Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                      Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                      Rebooting ... done ...
                      Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Came home from work and really struggled with the idea of having wine. UGH! I hate this struggle. So I ate chocolate instead (100% organic cacao) so not as bad as it could be and certainly better than booze. I have to go to a school event shortly so a sober distraction is coming up.

Comment

Hey Rahul!

Sorry you're feeling a bit blue and out of sorts. Personally I've been getting back into a much older addiction ..... reading! Ultimately, I think, anything that triggers our reward circuitry has the potential to become an addiction but looking towards continuing my long term non-drinking lifestyle I'm also looking at the ways that I have to feel good and choosing to return often to the ones that are healthier and more life affirming. Of course as for the coffee .... right there with ya on that. Many days one pot just doesn't do it.
                          “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                          Newbies Nest Roll Call
                          Toolbox
                          Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Just a quick update...the dark chocolate didn't cut it. Had to resort to Easter candy and I think I am past the breaking point. Talking about sweating it out. Ok - enough of that...off to school event sober. Phew.....

Comment

Rahul, Im sorry you are down. The way I look at it, if the coffee and ice cream arent causing you any problems, then you are ok. Unlike AL, which consumed us and contaminated every cell of our bodies.
                              I believe you are in sales (like me) so our very livlihood depends on that reward mechanism. Thats why we work so hard (often for NO money for long stretches)...we are waiting for that reward. It is the nauture of the animal kingdom, too. My dog just outsmarted me by looking at me longingly until I gave her some peanut butter. As long as your health isnt suffering, I dont see the issue.
                              Thinking of you.
                              Susie, way to surf those urges! Eating was my silver bullet against cravings!
                              Byrdie
                              Last edited by Byrdlady; April 21, 2017, 06:03 PM.
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by wagmor View Post
                                Tony - Your comment really resonated with me because I'm self-employed too. Interestingly, I found that this control over my own schedule actually made it easier for me to drink and harder for me to quit. I'm embarrassed to think back on all the countless days where my "happy hour" started waaaayyy before 5pm. When I was at my worst, I would actually start drinking soon after everyone else had left the house in the morning. I'd drink all morning, sometimes trying to work, sometimes not. Based on the level of buzz I achieved, I'd know exactly what time I needed to stop drinking so I could sober up somewhat before anyone else got home that pm. Then I'd start in again when it was socially acceptable. Ugh... It almost makes me cry to think how bad things were.

I'm really glad you didn't have the same challenges, and even more glad that you found a way to get through your witching hour even though it wasn't a set time of day.......
                                I agree with you Wags, that is all true but what I've found is that the negative of being able to drink whenever I chose has now turned around....because I can choose how to organise my time, the negative becomes the positive... so I can use that freedom to make myself busy at the times when I'd be most likely to drink and that's what I was trying to say...if that makes sense? (and, by the way, I too could easily start the day with wine and I frequently did....that was one of the things that made me realise I had a problem!!)

I love conversations like this because they really make me grateful that I am now sober and reinforce my quit.
                                Last edited by tonyniceday; April 21, 2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X