Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Morning nest

Well a busy week for me. Thanks for the birthday wishes. This is my 3rd sober birthday and not a thought of a drink to celebrate crossed my mind. I am too content in my life to feck it up by a drink. No amount of stress, even my mother, will make me drink AT anyone and i know that at the end i never got any pleasure from 2 bottles of wine plus more a day.

Susie and Kim you are both doing well, keep up the good work. My quit buddy and i are still going strong 3 plus years later, she was my rock. i had quit buddies before and i always let them down. I do know these old buddies are drinking and have wandered off, my choice was to stay and plod along, i consider myself very lucky.

Rahul, i looooovvvvvve my coffee and there is nothing wrong with that my friend. I looooovvvvee chocolate tooooooooo and as long as i dont gain 120kgs then i am doing ok. Appreciate your life, it is a good life now without al. The funk will pass and as long as we dont drink life is good.

I have the fam coming today as we are going out for dinner for my birthday. I will have my 4 children and i am pretty happy about that. Its hard now they are older to all get together and so im feeling pretty excited. Mum is behaving thus far, no 2 year old tantrums.

Take care x
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by Susie45 View Post
      Came home from work and really struggled with the idea of having wine. UGH! I hate this struggle. So I ate chocolate instead (100% organic cacao) so not as bad as it could be and certainly better than booze. I have to go to a school event shortly so a sober distraction is coming up.
      Hi Susie
      A while back I mentioned this but before you were here so I'll say it again...when I saw my Doctor after I first quit al I told him that I was a bit concerned that I was eating too much chocolate instead of drinking...he said that he felt it was far better to do that than drink and if it helped then go for it (the chocolate) and if we needed to address that later then so be it!

So there you are...you can have the chocolate on Doctor's orders....

If it works then just go with it for now...it is FAR better than the al
      Last edited by tonyniceday; April 21, 2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Ava, enjoy your birthday dinner with the entire family

Rahul, why would you try to equate a love of food with an obsession for pouring poison into our bodies? We stopped doing that a long time ago so there's no need to beat ourselves up. Sure, sometimes we get a little lazy where healthy food choices are concerned & maybe let the exercise wait a little longer than we should but we are still just human. We are ever evolving & sometimes get a little off track but we're not drinking! Be grateful for your long quit & gently nudge yourself back into healthier eating & exercise habits

Susie, enjoy the concert!

Tony, I hope your meds arrive soon so you can stay on your plan - whatever works, right?

Byrdie, my tail feathers grew back a long time ago, ha ha but I do have a bunch of hens running around outside who are missing theirs!! There is a serious case of hen pecking going on out there, Lol

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post

Tony, I hope your meds arrive soon so you can stay on your plan - whatever works, right?
          The good news is that the local pharmacist has sourced a supply...it'll take a few days to get here but all is, hopefully, sorted....

Comment

Hi. I'm writing because I'm feeling very tempted to drink right now. Ack! I'm doing a late Passover dinner for my family and staring at the wine. The meal has several passages where we are instructed to drink wine. I have my fuzzy water. I had a crappy couple days and am hormonal to the max and have this ear thing going on that I think is a migraine variant or hydroplane. It's not painful but it is extremely uncomfortable as my hearing is really skewed. I stayed up working two nights ago till 1:30 and I'm still paying for it. So nothing tragic here, just a strong desire to "go away" and take the obvious edge off. So I'm writing you all on my phone in the bathroom before the wine starts flowing in front of me. I am thinking, it's been so long, one should work... I won't drink
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Kensho...the fact that you've posted this shows you have the resolve in you to get through...

You wouldn't be here right now if you were just going to say "feck it" and have a drink. You can get through this Kensho...drink some juice, eat something sweet, remember how crap you felt after your holiday....you CAN do this...

In the meantime, I'm fed up with this insomnia so going to give inand take one of the tabs the doc gave me to help with sleep.

Keep your resolve Kensho and notch up another day today....

Comment

Originally posted by tonyniceday View Post
                Hi Susie
                A while back I mentioned this but before you were here so I'll say it again...when I saw my Doctor after I first quit al I told him that I was a bit concerned that I was eating too much chocolate instead of drinking...he said that he felt it was far better to do that than drink and if it helped then go for it (the chocolate) and if we needed to address that later then so be it!

So there you are...you can have the chocolate on Doctor's orders....

If it works then just go with it for now...it is FAR better than the al
                I definitely made the better choice! I may just have to lighten up on my strict diet till I get through the first week or so. Chocolate helps.

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                  Hi. I'm writing because I'm feeling very tempted to drink right now. Ack! I'm doing a late Passover dinner for my family and staring at the wine. The meal has several passages where we are instructed to drink wine. I have my fuzzy water. I had a crappy couple days and am hormonal to the max and have this ear thing going on that I think is a migraine variant or hydroplane. It's not painful but it is extremely uncomfortable as my hearing is really skewed. I stayed up working two nights ago till 1:30 and I'm still paying for it. So nothing tragic here, just a strong desire to "go away" and take the obvious edge off. So I'm writing you all on my phone in the bathroom before the wine starts flowing in front of me. I am thinking, it's been so long, one should work... I won't drink
                  I really had a tough time myself today. It's Friday and I just wanted to have some wine. But I got through it and now the urge has passed. I will be so thankful tomorrow morning when I wake up without any regrets. So will you! Play the tape forward - drinking never ends well. Much safer to stay sober. No regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Susie45 View Post
                    I really had a tough time myself today. It's Friday and I just wanted to have some wine. But I got through it and now the urge has passed. I will be so thankful tomorrow morning when I wake up without any regrets. So will you! Play the tape forward - drinking never ends well. Much safer to stay sober. No regrets.
                    Today was tough for me as well but I'm so thankful that I made it through without drinking. I attended a social event tonight where alcohol, especially wine which is my drink of choice, was flowing freely. At first, I have to admit, I was eyeing everyone's wine like some would-be vampire watching a throbbing vein. However, as the night wore on, it was easier and by the time I got home, it was basically time to get ready for bed.

Weekends may continue to be an extra challenge, at least for a while. I was thankful that my work today gave out dozens of free plants, vegetables, herbs that need to be planted. I took my share and plan to work on getting them in the ground this weekend. I made a list a few minutes ago of things I need to accomplish tomorrow and Sunday. I'm hoping that will keep my mind occupied.

Susie, day six is almost here. We've almost got a week sober. KENSHO, my entire family drinks (a lot) all dinners, events and every celebration center around a bottle. Thanks for setting an example tonight of how to get through those tough moments without caving.

Goodnight to all-
                    Kim

Comment

GREAT JOB!!! Hanging on thru the cravings is so hard sometimes but absolutely worth it.
                      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi, All:

Kensho - Good on you for sending for us from the bathroom! I see in your post that you're tired and stressed from your hard couple of days - it is great that you noticed your craving, your trigger and then you knew what to do about it.

Hi, Rahul. Sorry you're not feeling well. Hope you're better.

Susie and Kim - SO glad you're here together.

LS - What happened? Can you identify a trigger and try to avoid it this time? Good on you for coming back.

Happy Birthday, Ava!

Hi, Nora! Love to see you stop by.

Happy Friday - not going to drink, don't want to at all.

Pav

Comment

I in an awful hurry here so just a quick hi & bye,

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Day 6 - last night certainly was a white knuckle ride but I woke up this morning without any regrets. I know my pattern - had I caved last night, I might have stopped at 2 drinks but the rest of the weekend would have been lost. I would have given up and told myself "I will start Monday" and Monday would come and I would feel crappy.
                            Kim - I agree with you! Weekends are going to be a tough go at first. But they will get easier! I had 4 sober years where drinking was never even on the menu or missed. I say we deal with them as they come.
                            Thank you EVERYONE for all your encouragement! I find myself coming here often just to get a dose of sobriety. It really helps me. Thank you!!
                            Last edited by Susie45; April 22, 2017, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Hi Susie. One thing's for sure... we're all in this together. It was nice to see your post last night, when I needed to know that someone heard me . Good job to us both for not perpetuating the pattern. New brain paths were created.

I think I have migraine variants, early miniere's or hydrops. Whatever it is, I'm not dying, but I sort of just want to go find a hole to climb in. Hoping it passes soon. I take my health for granted sometimes; these episodes are powerful reminders that we are promised nothing.

Sending good thoughts to everyone.
                              Last edited by KENSHO; April 22, 2017, 10:35 AM.
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahulthesweet View Post
                                Doing less cycling, too much coffee 5 to 6 cups a day, bad diet snd ice cream.

I an cutting these down and lets see
                                Hey Rahul. I too am a big cyclist but had a mechanical problem w/my bike last fall and my cycling fell by the wayside. I never feel quite the same as when ride 5/6 times a week. Needless to say AL was there to fill the void and I did have my fill of it for a few months. After long procrastination my bike is in fine order waiting for me . I have been on the trainer but nothing serious. The weather is supposed to break this weekend and so I plan to begin turning the cranks again. We will see. I read a lot on exercise and diet and how the two are inseparable. I also relate to your coffee situation b/c I abuse coffee & actually have just as hard a time quitting or curbing it as I do w/alcohol. I have tapered down the caffeine over the last two weeks or so and today is day 4 w/NO caffeine. Not to drag on but from what I've read caffeine is a very strong drug that messes with your blood sugar and therefore cravings. I must admit this is not easy for me at all by any stretch. To sum it up I understand that we can get energy from food or you can choose energy from stimulants which actually stress you out and give you increased cravings for junk food, more sugar, caffeine, alcohol, etc...... which deplete your stores of energy by robbing your body of the true nutrition it desires and needs to function on an optimal level. Anyway it seems to me to be a big feedback loop that is encouraged by all the companies who profit off of us. I could talk about this all day & so will leave it here for now. ~ Looking forward to getting back in the saddle...... take care, Hyper

Comment

Working...
                                X