Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi everyone,
    I am with you on the top things to do, unfortunately it is snowing like crazy here today and its cloudy. I did get up early and walk to the pool for a swim at 7am, it was amazing. I love being able to get up early and feel good. That is such a gift, everyday is a gift if I am not hungover.
    Everyone is sounding pretty good here. Stay on the path. Don't drink today.

xo
    Narilly
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

So I'm hittin' the hay early again today.

Mr. V, good for you for getting in that bike ride.. and then the walk with the dog!
      You, too, Wags..getting in the first real ride. How did your body feel afterwards?
      I love riding a bike but not for exercise.. it's my main transportation in the city and we do ride quite a bit to lakes in the summer.
      Nar, still getting snow? Is that unusual for this time of year or is it normal April weather?
      We have had the coldest, rainiest April I can remember.. and when I looked at the weather forecast today, it's predicting the same until next Monday, May 1.. then it's sunshine and warmth.. crazy.

So, today was good. Read a lot here at MWO and hip sobriety, got inspired to think positively about the path and not get too weighed down with should've and could've. I ate fairly well and I've been taking some supplements, L-glut included. For my sweet tooth as much as anything! It does seem to help.

So goodnight from my end.. looking forward again to seeing you all tomorrow.

Comment

Hello all - I, too, love the great outdoors. I live by the beach and I get there as often as I can. I love the smell of the salt water, the warmth of the sun and the sand between my toes. I have been a runner for many years but recently hurt my back so I am now a walker which my 9 year old lab prefers. He is getting old!
        No sun here in NY today - rainy and cold. Yuck. But the tulips are in bloom and there are buds on the trees. Spring weather is coming!
        Another AF day. I am grateful.

Comment

Day 172 for me! Whaaaaat?
          Sorry I haven't been checking in as much. I am quite swamped with the two jobs now. I don't think about drinking very often.
          I decided I better check in here before I get side swiped by drinking thoughts! I'm here. I'm sober. Feeling mighty fine!
          Day 1 again 11/5/19
          Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
          Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
          Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
          11/27/19: messed up but back on track
          12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Way to go Nursie! Keep up the good work.

Susie, you are sure lucky to be able to run on the beach(or hobble) haha You have so much to be sober for.

Life, it is cold here, around 0 C. In Calgary the weather changes very quickly and is unpredictable because we live so close to the mountains. I am really sick of the cold weather, what happened to global warming?

Well off to watch Downton Abbey. I am on the very last episode, I love it. My Perrier is waiting for me!

xo
            Nar
            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good Tuesday evening Nesters,

It was a total rain day here, just as predicted. Hopefully we will get to see some of that sun everyone is talking about before the end of the week, ha ha!!!
              I'm enjoying my decaf coffee & tea so much I don't even think about wine anymore. Never thought I'd be saying something like that but it's absolutely true. Hang in there everyone, you won't be sorry

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Winding down day eight and it feels good to be sober tonight. Not having to hide bottles and glasses or make a trip to the store to get yet another round of wine...In so many ways drinking is actually a lot of work.

Hope everyone has had a good day and a peaceful evening-
                Kim

Comment

Kim - Not hiding bottles. Ah, what a relief. You are so right that drinking is a lot of work. Smuggle the bottle in, pour it into another bottle, sneak drinks, smuggle the bottles out, stop by a shopping center with a trash can so I can throw it away. I certainly wasn't getting any pleasure out of it.
                  "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nursie - congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Originally posted by Nursie View Post
                      Day 172 for me! Whaaaaat?
                      Sorry I haven't been checking in as much. I am quite swamped with the two jobs now. I don't think about drinking very often.
                      I decided I better check in here before I get side swiped by drinking thoughts! I'm here. I'm sober. Feeling mighty fine!
                      What an incredible accomplishment! Imagine how much physical internal healing has happened I n that 6 months?!
                      AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Thank you NS! That was an excellent post. You have a way with words, that is for sure.

Well, I am here for my tune up and it is working. Although I think I may stick around here for a while until I feel a lot stronger in my quit.
                        Originally posted by narilly View Post
                        Matt- what happened with your friend who started drinking after 11 years? That is so scary to me. Did he go on a total rampage, getting drunk every night sort of thing or was he able to quit again?
                        Ugh- AL sucks!
                        Yup
                        Life, Susie- so nice to go to bed sober. Sweet dreams

xo
                        Narilly
                        When I first heard he had relapsed I was more mad and sad for him than, suprised( due to the nature of the beast AL) that it happened.
                        This is a guy that just about lost it all about 12 years ago, he'd become quite the speaker in the AA scene and had a story that could captivate the attention of the dead.
                        He like so many of us face many demons be it past or present, he is a public servant and knew and often spoke of the massive triggers that come with PTSD. He was recently involved, as a first responder, with a horrific accident scene,. He knew this bothered him, he reached out to members of his sobriety network, got some counseling and said he was feeling better.
                        This is were the magnificent power of Al came in, like a cancer- and I'm not going too lie this scares the holy dogshit out of me .
                        A few weeks ago while visiting some family, he was having trouble sleeping, when this great and what seemed like a perfectly logical thought came to mind. He told me " I had a thought pop up and began reminding himself how unhealthy not sleeping was, and that by God all the shit be had seen and dealt with a night cap was deserved"

And so it began, he set sail on a 2 week bender, like he had never stopped.

Moral of this story for me after speaking with him briefly this week.
                        We often hear "To thine own self be true" you see he was not really all well after his experience from that call he responded to. His sponsor had shared this with him, and told him call me everyday, twice a day, for 30 days. His therapists had alluded that she felt he was vulnerable. He had subconsciously already fallen back into that self absorbed, self will ran riot, and was leaning and relying on HIMSELF and his sobriety time to pull through.
                        Sobriety time is golden, that's what we strive for, dream about, but
                        In my opinion, unfortunately long term sobriety alone
                        will not heal me.
                        I liken it to the diabetic that will likely have to monitor their diet, be vigilant width their medication regiment, and constantly be mindful and knowledgeable with acute diabetic illness prevention, and should they "slack off" or turn their back, it can be worse than ever before.
                        (For the record I'm not marginalizing or demonizing those who suffer from Diabetes)

Stay Hards freaks!
                        AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Just a quick chk in from me, up to my eyes in work, which is a good thing at the moment .Hope you are all well n fighting the fight.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Good Morning, Nesters!
                            And I'm happy to say it is once again.. and the sun is shining!

Nursie, way to go with 172 days! You sound like you're in a really good space now.. hope you're enjoying the 2nd job.. I can't remember what it is you're doing.?
                            Lav, I am soooo enjoying my morning coffee these days! I only have one a day and it's like heaven. I also have a huge assortment of teas.. something for each and every mood!
                            Kim, I also feel like I'm saving so much time.. mental time without all the planning and obsessing and lying, physical time without the running around, hiding and recovering.. money spent! The unending stress of it all. I don't want to be quick to forget all of that!
                            Matt, good to see you.. and thanks for sharing that story..

So I have the same plan as yesterday.. it's working well for me right now, this one day at a time. Not drinking no matter what and no matter who. Because I know that I CAN do it for a day..I even really want to do it today! and it frees me up to concentrate on other things. Like my positive frame of mind (at the moment it is..) and well being. I don't yet have to worry about tomorrow or the rest of the year and I definitely don't need to dwell on where I could have been if..
                            So that feels good. Knowing I can deal with where I am and what I've got.

I'm off on a very mini road trip with a friend to see a house she's interested in buying. There's a lake to walk around..
                            I'm excited about having a bit of nature.

Will check in later. Wishing you all a nice Wednesday.
                            Last edited by lifechange; April 26, 2017, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PanhandleKim View Post
                              Winding down day eight and it feels good to be sober tonight. Not having to hide bottles and glasses or make a trip to the store to get yet another round of wine...In so many ways drinking is actually a lot of work.

Hope everyone has had a good day and a peaceful evening-
                              Kim
                              Agree! The obsessing can be exhausting. Congrats on day 8!

Comment

Congratulations [MENTION=15947]Nursie[/MENTION]! What a great accomplishment!

Today's plan is to stick to my clean diet- no processed food for me. No booze. I had a great sleep so am starting my day off right feeling rested. I would love to go for a walk but it is raining here again. I miss the sunshine!

I am enjoying my coffee - hangover free. Have a great day everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X