Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Waking up un-hung on a warm and sunny Saturday morning. Feels great, Rinse repeat.

Comment

I concur about the coffee and the overall great feeling in the morning! I told my husband that
      the mornings are the best thing so far! He did not get it at all.

Day 78 here and I am definitely at a bumpy part of this journey. The mornings are really the best, but my ability to focus is limited. The afternoon and early evening times I begin to feel anxiety
      and my brain is cloudy. I have had a few instances in which I am teaching what should be a basic concept and I find myself a little confused and then anxious. Add to that the emotional ups and downs. I expected some of this early on but at day 78 it is so frustrating. I've read some about PAWS, but I am tempted to drink just to get my brain back.

Can anyone share their experiences and anything that helped?
      Last edited by ssd858; May 13, 2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Good morning nesters,

I am totally pooped this morning. Going to bed late does NOT translate into sleeping in late for me. I've never been a late sleeper nor a good sleeper. It's annoying. On the bright side, I love mornings. I'm having a delicious cup of coffee, hanging out with my sleepy pups, listening to the birds chirp. I too drink coffee like I did my wine and I kind of obsess about the next cup, when I'll have it; mid morning or afternoon? I'm one of those people who can take a short nap after a cup of coffee. I did read once that when you're hitting your afternoon slump, you should have a cup of coffee and promptly take a 20 minute nap. you're refreshed after 20 minutes and the coffee has entered the blood stream After 20 minutes and then you can take over the world! Easy peasy, now if I could just get my schedule to cooperate.

I've had a few thoughts about al this week. It made me sad. I quickly pushed wine thoughts out of my head. Today I celebrate 180 days!! Thanks to all of you for helping me get through the rough patches.

Happy sober Saturday
        Roobs.

Comment

I don't remember how I was feeling back at that 80 day mark [MENTION=22385]ssd858[/MENTION], so it's difficult to help you out with that. I do know that there's a 100 Day Club for a reason, things do start getting easier around the 100 day mark. Just remember that your life is so much better now, and when the anxiety creeps in, it's just your AV trying to convince you that you really didn't have a problem. Maybe try doing some new activities that you've always wanted to try, I know being bored doesn't help strengthen anyone's resolve to quit!
          Last edited by abcowboy; May 13, 2017, 08:23 AM.
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

ssd-
            I attempted many, many quits. I always seemed to go back to drinking around the 3 month alcohol free mark. I think it was because the newness of my quit had worn off and my brain was adjusting to a thing called real life. Having spent decades drinking over my feelings, I could not seem to handle what were probably normal human emotions. I started to feel uncomfortable and my learned response was to drink to get rid of those feelings.
            What helped is realizing that my thoughts are just thoughts and they will pass. Just because I have a negative thought or feeling does not mean I have to latch on to it.
            I am going to bump a thread in General Discussion called "The Three Principles Discussion Thread". Maybe you can gain some insight from the information there.
            Take care and please do not let the alcohol back in. I was trapped in the drink/quit cycle for 10 years and it was pure hell.

JackieM
            Last edited by JackieM; May 13, 2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

ssd - The thing that jumped out immediately to me in your post was "I am tempted to drink just to get my brain back."

I can definitely relate to this thought, to this temptation. What I would offer as a response though is that this is truly a lie that al is telling you. If anything, al will take more of your brain away, not give it back to you.

You are definitely in a time period of your quit that many people find to be rough or bumpy. This is also one of the times when al will be at its trickiest, pulling out some different messages for you in an effort to derail your quit. The reality is that al will bring you nothing good, and you already know that. Any relief you will feel will last minutes at best, and then you'll be left with the horrible rest of it.

One thing that many folks find helpful at this time is to "play the tape forward" or think ahead past the rosy glow of what al is trying to lure you back into. That rosy glow is a mirage. That comfortable escape from anxiety is brief or non-existent, and ultimately al usually causes MORE anxiety, more unease, more confusion. It sounds like you've found a pattern in your days, with better mornings and rougher pms. Can you leverage this and plan ahead to use specific tools to help get thru those rougher pms?

Roobs - Congrats on a big 180 days!!! I love the 180 mark because 180 is also a u-turn or turn around, both literally and metaphorically. Great job!!!

Love hearing all your stories about enjoying your unhung coffee. I've never been a coffee drinker myself, although I love the concept of a warm soothing little morning ritual. Tea doesn't really do it for me either, unfortunately. It all sounds wonderful though and I'm so happy that it's a positive part of so many people's days.

Happy AF weekend everyone!
              Last edited by wagmor; May 13, 2017, 09:30 AM.
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Originally posted by ssd858 View Post
                I concur about the coffee and the overall great feeling in the morning! I told my husband that

Day 78 here and I am definitely at a bumpy part of this journey. The mornings are really the best, but my ability to focus is limited. The afternoon and early evening times I begin to feel anxiety
                and my brain is cloudy. I have had a few instances in which I am teaching what should be a basic concept and I find myself a little confused and then anxious. Add to that the emotional ups and downs. I expected some of this early on but at day 78 it is so frustrating. I've read some about PAWS, but I am tempted to drink just to get my brain back.

ABCowboy, that is EXACTLY why the 100 Day Maintenance thread came to be. There is a flat spot around that time that is tough (the 'Is THIS all there is?' Phase). I got some advice and I will pass it forward....Fake it til you make it. Sounds trite, but it worked. Do whatever it takes to get thru it sober. I was sharing with Empty3al last night about another trick that worked for me. Put yourself into the service of others. Volunteer somewhere, take your pup or kitten to a nursing home, those poor souls dont see anyone new for weeks at a time. You cant imagine how rewarding it is. With luck, we are all going to get old one day, I hope someone has the compassion to come see me. Or bake some cookies for a neighbor who doesn't get out much, thats what got me started on cake and cookie decorating. In life, there are always going to be people ahead of us and behind us, I believe it is my duty to reach out to those who dont have it as well as I do, and help make this old journey a little bettter, if only for a moment. It doesnt have to be monitary, sometimes just showing up means the world to someone.

I read an article that someone posted about Alcoholism and there is a school of thought that posits the idea that we become addicted as a result of lack of connection with others. I believe that. Human connection is THAT important. Give it a try! You have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Regarding PAWS, I may have a bit if a controversial opinion about this, but here goes. I think it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy....if you read about how so many people fall off the wagon due to PAWS, it almost gives us permission to do so....remember, we are addicts and it doesn't take much for our addicted brains to justify a drink or 12. I've read that it happens after a couple months, I've read where it happens at 2 years, I've read 5 years...since no one can agree when it actually happens then Im not buying it. Yes, I had flat spots, but I notice that even sober people have those. If we arent careful, reading about PAWS gives us an OUT. Dont fall for it. Push thru the rough spots and keep your resolve iron clad. There is NO good reason to pick up a drink ever, it only ends BADLY for us.

Narrily's post made me remember the Sattidy mornings that I woke up with the GSR Brothers (Guilt/Shame and Remorse). I'd pray that I would have the strength to get thru that day without over-doing it. Id pray for help in making this cycle stop. Well, that prayer has been answered and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand that one drink will take me right back to that place....standing in front of the mirror looking at someone I hated. I promise you, I have never, ever regretted staying sober. It is a choice I make every day.

Hope everyone has an easy day, Byrdie
                Last edited by Byrdlady; May 13, 2017, 02:52 PM.
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

ssd, I attempted many quits like Jackie and also seemed to drink around the 60 to 90 day mark. If you really want to quit YOU can do it! Try and focus on other things besides AL and check out the tool box, there are some great ideas there.
                  NS, I love your story about drinking coffee. It really struck me as SO obvious- I drink coffee like I drank wine and I totally Love the first cup of the morning. The difference between wine and coffee is that I can stop. What an interesting observation.
                  Glad you are feeling good Mr V.
                  Hang in there Neo. Don't drink today!
                  Roobs- way to go on 180 days- happy sober Saturday to you.

Howdy Cowboy

Way to go G Man- you rawk as usual!
                  Ava, Pav xoxo

I am going to the market today to learn about planting edibles. That will be fun. I am going to go sample some fancy coffees there too.
                  Feeling good here is Calgary, UnHung on a Saturday Morning. Oh yeah!
                  xo
                  Nar
                  Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                  "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hi, SSD:

I would agree - it seems to be a time when people struggle. I went through a LONG period of "really?" I couldn't believe this had "happened" to me, and it turns out that life is still life, booze or no. A lot of the muck is still there, and the excitement of the first several weeks of no alcohol had worn off. I helped myself by listening to the podcast The Bubble Hour and taking long walks by myself. The Bubble Hour deals with a lot of topics that I had been thinking about, and many I had not. They were all helpful, but three that stick out are one on willingness, one on changing the stigma of addiction through science (Dr. John Kelly), and one on preventing relapse. I usually download them from the Podcast app on my phone, but those are links to the website where you can search all of the episodes. NoSugar recommended that podcast for a long time, but not until around Day 90 did I search around for something different. If podcasts aren't for you, I am sure other recommendations will be forthcoming. For me, the key was understanding that it was a phase I was going through and that it would end. It seemed to take a long time, but it surely did end, and now I am on the other side feeling great.

NoSugar - I hope you get extra love on Sunday, too. Thanks for always being there for me. xo

Pav

Comment

Drinking won't help and cigs won't help and you won't get your brain back. If it's beer, you will feel great after 6 thinking you have , then on the 15th can ,you crash ,only to wake up @ 3am in the morning anxious and being rushed down to the hospital on oxygen and getting prescribed valium while you have your trusty ipad, logged into the mywayout forum posting a big "Oh no I did it again , I did 80 days and made a total loser of myself" thread'

Trust me ,I was there 4 days ago (not at hospital lol) , however after a few quits since 2014/15 I developed a better and better diet. Have you tried L-glutamine or any supps? L-glut with WPC powder worked great on Day 3 and I had some downers today and even dissolved in water , kicks in a little over 10 mins.I have refined to myself what works and even though this first quarter of the year has been messy, It surprises me what can be achieved even in as little as 3-4 days if you have the right food, supps but getting that diet improved over the last few years has made a diff even if I have made some blunders

Also, 3 years ago , was unfit. In 3 months I had the fitness to get into the police force with only 2 x 1hr hiit sessions a week .I would look into those 2 options . There is a new Hiit program 3 x 20min sessions a week but you have to walk for 2 mins, then run flat out at 80-85% heart rate for 1 min and repeat that. A lot of scientific research has proven it is even better than this 1hr/everyday stuff.

Have you done Blood test to see if you're internals are in shape?

Catalyst: Fit in 6 Minutes a week - ABC TV Science

Catalyst: Gut Reaction Pt 1 - ABC TV Science

Catalyst: Gut Reaction Pt 2 - ABC TV Science

Catalyst - Special Edition - Low Carb Diet: Fat or Fiction
                      Last edited by Neo; May 13, 2017, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Pav, excellent advice. The Bubble Hour and Dr. John Kelly really helped me, big time.

Thanks Neo, those are great links. I eat low carb and keep in shape- but even if we are out of shape we can still quite drinking..just sayin'
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Congratulation Roobs on 180 days!! You must be feeling so good!

Thank you all for the support. [MENTION=6262]Cowboy[/MENTION] - I have checked out the 100 Day Club thread for hopeful stories that the brain fog clears. I am determined to make it that far and hoping that things continue to improve. Definitely not bored here! But, summer is quickly approaching and my teaching load will be reduced greatly so I will try to add some new activities! [MENTION=18464]JackieM[/MENTION] - I will check out the 3 Principles. I get the drinking over feelings that I now have to deal with. Been there, done that. The emotional stuff is bad, but really the feeling that my brain isn't working is probably the worst and is what has brought the thoughts of drinking. [MENTION=23208]wagmor[/MENTION] - did you feel the brain fog? I continue to tell myself that this is just my brain trying to adjust and that it will improve with time. Any idea of how long this takes?? I know that this last round before I quit I was at a very low place with the perpetual hangover and gsr. I do not want that back in my life. [MENTION=11704]Byrdlady[/MENTION] - the semester is about to end and I do plan to take a class myself - jewelry making.
                          I like the idea of taking my pup to visit older people. I know how much animals mean to people.
                          I read the article about connection and I think it does play a role in this affliction. Sadly it makes people isolate even more. [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] - do you recall your thinking when you drank at the 60 - 90 day mark? [MENTION=20191]Pavati[/MENTION] - I have listened to some bubble hour I will check out these ones. I really needed to hear that the brain fog will lift and I will regain my brain and that the emotions will level out. I do feel that at times now I do feel better emotionally. Not as reactive as I was when I was drinking. Another thing to add to the positives of not drinking. [MENTION=22857]Neo[/MENTION] - thank you for the jolting wake-up! I am using LGlut capsules twice a day. I was just taking one in the am and just increased the last 2 days. What is WPC powder? I need to work on my diet - I have not been eating enough and have had way too much sugar. No sugar yesterday and def felt better emotionally. I need to add more exercise as well. Have only been walking a little and used to be a runner. Can't run any longer - every time I try I have feet issues. I am in the midst of working on both of these. See my doc in a few weeks for a physical so blood work will be done then. I've never had any irregular blood results. Thank you for the links! I will check them out this weekend.

Again, thank you all for the support - I think I really needed to hear that this will pass.
                          Off to walk the doggies and to take them for baths.

Comment

Well ssd I can relate & have gone through similar periods of time. I actually have a difficult time with coffee, even more so when I go AF. I tend to or do abuse it which leads to another set of problems. About 2 mos. ago or so I tapered off coffee and boy was it tough. Brain fog maximized. Didn't think Alzheimer's could come on so fast (it didn't:happy2. I couldn't remember things and my anxiety level actually went up. Anyway then I quit for 1 week after the taper. Talk about suffering. Now I have one (just 1) espresso in the morning. I actually bought an espresso machine a year or so ago to try and control my intake.The machine allows me to effortlessly measure my caffeine intake. I got the machine that uses the pods and so you can know how much you are taking in rather than guessing how many cups I had today. The coffee was like the accelerator and the booze the brakes. I did it for years like this but now I realized that the duo of the 2 were taking their toll on me and so here I am. I always knew I drank too much coffee but couldn't stop. Then I read 'Caffeine Blues', a book on the effects of caffeine or should I say too much caffeine daily and what it does to the body & mind. It is a little bit of a long read(I guess b/c at times I got bored w/ the message but it is certainly an eye opening book if you care to. To get it through my thick skull I plodded through and read the whole thing and am glad I did b/c like with booze I need actual info to act on to change. Here's a link to an article on the book Caffeine Blues – Caffeine Withdrawal Anxiety. Once again I see how industries want to sell us things we get addicted to so they have life long customers. After beginning the taper I started using Gingko Biloba for mental sharpness as suggested in the book and it sure seems to help & also melatonin 3 mg half an hour before bed. I am beginning to feel much better on this regimen. Sleep Quality has improved dramatically. Hope this may also help you or anyone who drinks too much coffee and thinks excess caffeine doesn't lead to health problems. Like booze I found it difficult to do but armed with good info you can change your health for the better. I don't want to return to that jittery, anxious, always nervous & sleep deprived person again. One other big part is exercise, don't underestimate it. Long winded but hope it helps you.
                            p.s. here is another link w/many good articles also.
                            Grow Youthful, How to Slow Your Aging and Enjoy Extraordinary Health
                            Last edited by Hypernova; May 13, 2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=11645]Hypernova[/MENTION] - I did reduce my caffeine intake hoping it would help with the anxiety. I now drink a cup, max 2, in the am. Rarely anything more than that unless out and I get a fancy coffee/choco drink. I will try to download the book today and get some Ginko! I am using Glycine for sleep which seems to help most of the time. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Comment

Hi again ssd. I read the article at the link I referenced above again and copied a part so you don't miss this part. ~'Caffeine depletes your supplies of thiamin and other B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc..' Look up what deficiencies in these vitamins and minerals do to you. I make sure I get adequate amounts of every one of these except iron. Also I strongly believe in some form of regular exercise. My feet also bother me so running is out. I ride a bicycle and love it. Find an exercise you like and stick to it b/c I believe it helps tremendously w/ anxiety. Best to you, Hyper

Comment

Working...
                                X