Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hey ssd, I drank around the 60 day mark a few times. I think I just didn't have the will to quit and said f'it. I finally got to the point where I Really wanted to quit and then I was able to make it.

Just to clarify about the drinking coffee- I drink from 1-3 cups a day. It doesn't really affect me as far as the jitters or anxiety as far as I know. I drink quite a bit of herbal tea. My justification for spending the money on herbal tea is that I am not buying booze anymore. I used to go through at least a case of wine every month...and I mean at LEAST. ugh.
    Hyper- thanks for the info on caffeine, I will definitely watch my consumption. I am also going to read that link you posted.- Thank you!

My mom and MIL are coming over for supper tonight so I am cooking right now. (my smoke alarm just went off, haha) I used to stress about not having wine at supper but that is in the past. There will be no wine served at my supper tonight and that's the way I like it. Uh huh, uh huh (KC and the Sunshine band)

have a great night.
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I think the rain has finally ended. We had something between 2-3 inches, geez! Looking forward to a touch of sunshine & maybe a bit of warmth for Mother's day tomorrow.
      We took our granddaughter home this afternoon, always fun having her here for a day or two

ssd, it's been a while but I remember dealing with that feeling of 'is this all there is?' after a few months AF. Somehow I think we expect everything in our lives to magically improve overnight but they don't. Permanent change takes a lot of effort & time!!! I also remember feeling much stronger & happier when I hit 100 days so you do have something big to look forward to soon

Roobs, awesome on your 180!!!

Neo, very happy you are thru the first three dreaded days - you are doing this!

Narilly, no one has had the nerve to complain about not having wine here any more, ha ha. People get used to your new normal, we just have to give it time. I hope your dinner went well.

Hello to the rest of the crowd & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Caffeine is an interesting puppy dog. It's so minor by comparison but could be used as a replacement. Coffee is given to everyone everywhere and in our local detoxes and at AA. It can be good for a while but honestly sleep is a huge part of recovery so it negates it as withdrawal is a SOB. I drink specific types of teas which I won't advocate as its simply pure preference over a learned period of time. It sure solves the Mirtazapine fog issues in the morning if you don't bug me for 20 minutes as I boil water; brew and let cool. I assume it would do the same with BAC. For AL I see no purpose for it and would advise against it.
        "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Evening nesters

SSD you are doing great work, keep plodding along. I looooooooove my caffeine and no one will take that away from me, ever. I would swap coffee for al anytime. I know when to stop with caffeine, had no idea when to stop with wine. I sleep well now unless i do OD on said coffee but i moderate my intake. I thought i had alzheimers around the time you are now. It passes and is just a stage, now i just forget which is my normal and age and because the sky is blue really!.

Well the countdown is happening for my mother leaving, it has been a looooooooooooooooong month let me tell you all. I have learnt to walk away very quickly or to whisper as she is as deaf as a post. I really dont think i have encountered an 80 year old that is so negative. Damn i will be grateful just to make it in the health that she has. My SIL is visiting and her and mum were drinking wine last night and i retired very early. I dont need to listen about my mistakes in the past that mum loves to bring up and i dont need to remember my drunken tirades so i removed myself and went and knitted. I have learnt to walk away from situations i have no control over and not feel any guilt about doing so.

Good to see everyone doing so well. Happy mothers day from Ausland to you all.

Take care x
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Day 4 for me and easier than last 2. Tank water is all I drink besides my protein/supp mixes . Coffee dehydrates like AL and makes me more nervy + the sugar doesn't help. A good straight green tea works well

Comment

Originally posted by narilly View Post
              Pav, excellent advice. The Bubble Hour and Dr. John Kelly really helped me, big time.

Thanks Neo, those are great links. I eat low carb and keep in shape- but even if we are out of shape we can still quite drinking..just sayin'
              I'm 6'3" slim/athletic and never really had a prob with weight lol ,But that being said and coming from someone like me, is I still got to put in the effort and adjust habits too
              Last edited by Neo; May 14, 2017, 05:58 AM.

Comment

to all the mom's!
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hello nesters,SSD,I take glycine and it works brilliant for anxiety and sleep however it makes me a space cadet shortly after a dose,maybe you should try eliminating it for a bit? Hope everyone has a great AF day
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy Mother's Day! Its a beautiful day here, I plan to get out and enjoy it.
                    Empty, great to see you here in the nest! You will find tons of support here, and there is always someone around. Hope you are doing ok, how long since your last drink? Please joinus over on the Newbie's Nest Roll Call, there are prizes and everything! We all know we get no pats on the back for being sober in real life, and no one realizes just how difficult and how deep a dig it is. WE do, and we cheer each other on! We're glad you're here.
                    Hope everyone has a peaceful day! Byrdie
                    Last edited by Byrdlady; May 14, 2017, 09:22 AM.
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

So happy to be sober today! The sun is shining and I woke up UN HUNG!
                      I spent so many years waking up sick and hungover that everyday I wake up feeling good is a blessing. I do not have wine mouth, puffy eyes and face, headache, bruises from who knows what- because I blacked out. Self esteem in the toilet. Having to apologize to various people for the night before. ugh.

Grateful to be sober and un hung with the whole glorious day ahead of me

Neo- you are 6'3"? Wow.
                      Good morning Byrdie, Cowboy, Paulie, Ava.

Ava- you crack me up about your mom "deaf as a post" lol My mom is starting to lose her hearing too but otherwise she is a going concern.

Have an awesome Sunday everyone.
                      Do not drink Today.
                      xo
                      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Happy Mothers Day to all! Feeling very grateful for MWO.
                        Roobs

Comment

Happy Mother's Day to all!

[MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] - I take glycine at night only [MENTION=11645]Hypernova[/MENTION] - thank you again. I do take Bcomplex and zinc plus a good multi. I am going to try to keep my coffee
                          at 1 a day (which since it's a large mug it's more like 2) [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION] - I am determined to plod along and hope for a clearer brain come 100 days

Last weekend was a big hurdle for me - we went up to wine country in northern Ca for my brother's 50th birthday. So, lots of wine and beer flowing. And of course my sister-in-law had several bottles of my wine of choice.

I made a huge pitcher of a nonalcoholic white sangria and afree mimosas and they loved it. I was more than content being afree.
                          The only moment of wistful thinking about a glass of wine was while walking along the Napa river and seeing people at table enjoying the sunshine, breeze with their wine. It quickly passed.

Tomorrow is day 80 and 100 is not far.
                          Last edited by ssd858; May 14, 2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Happy Day to everyone who takes the time and makes the effort to support and nurture others - in real life or here, where there are several people who show the love we all would like to receive. xx

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Looks like it was a good Mother's Day for everyone (celebrating or not)

NS, you spread a good amount of love around here & I know it's appreciated!

Ava, I wish you all the strength you need to get thru this visit with your Mom, ha ha!!

Keep up the good work everyone & have no regrets ever
                              Wishing for a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

This weekend was good but was in situations where alcohol was flowing freely. Sometimes I still am envious of people who can drink normally. My reality is that I simply cannot. I still wonder sometimes what I did, what I inherited, the way I reacted to stress that landed me in the alcoholic bog. It doesn't really matter now, it's just a curiosity. I have lots of good things, lots of stress and lots of alcoholic family members all of which will be descending upon my household in two weeks at my daughter's graduation. I'm going to have to really pray, concentrate and remind myself daily of how good it feels not to wake up hung over and more importantly, how it feels not to be ashamed of my actions. This is my daughter's time and I don't want to sully it in any way by giving in to anxiety or peer pressure from family members. They will inevitably drink but that won't bother her. It is ME that she is relying on to make sure her graduation party and other related events go smoothly and result in good memories

I am so grateful for this site and for everyone here who has been brave enough to take steps to "kill the beast". Hope everyone has a wonderful AF Monday.

Goodnight to all-
                                Kim
                                Last edited by PanhandleKim; May 14, 2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X