Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good Morning!
    Jkm, I am going to check out Recovery Elevator, it looks really interesting. What is Sober Cast?
    Glad you are here. I got sick of being sick too and am thankful for everyday that I wake up feeling good.

Pav, that was a great post. Yes, Kim, don't try- just Do it! Yes you can!

Don't drink today everyone.

xo
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Narilly, sober cast is called "a meeting in a podcast." It's aa speakers that have been recorded speaking in meetings. The recording is not great but the speakers are amazing and most are so funny. The poke fun at themselves and some poke fun at the program and they poke fun a how ridiculous our behavior can get in this disease. It's really good.

Comment

Good morning Nest! I'm off to work, but wanted to check in, since I've been a delinquent little bird flying solo. I'm doing well, with some cravings (WHY are they so strong now, after 278 days?!?). But I have behaved. I have watched my husband drink (a little to excess) and it reminds me why I don't want to chase that very small sliver of fun and pay with such awful consequences.

Byrdie, your thoughts on human connection really stuck with me. I have been refocusing my desires to drink into efforts to be what I really aspire to for my children. They need me now, and want my attention. Drinking would only take me further away from that. It is a satisfying and awesome experience to really talk with my kids, and really listen. And play "princess in the grocery store" or take them to the frozen yogurt shop instead.

I remember the most challenging semester I had in college - with way too many credits, and also TA-ing a class... it has stuck with me that the way I got through that was also belonging to a community service club. How could I complain when I saw what so many other people were going through? It puts things in perspective and offers a very rewarding distraction to be in service of others. Thanks for the reminder.

G - I like it when you throw the happy out there! Keep it rolling my friend!

LAV, I couldn’t agree more with your stress quote. Not only with choosing which thoughts to perpetuate, but also to actually search for the positive in any situation. It's a habit that has made a huge difference in my life.

Hang in there Ready; welcome back JKM. Stick around please.
        Last edited by KENSHO; May 16, 2017, 10:57 AM.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Morning nesters

I had a ME night at home, alone, with the two dogs, two cats, guinea pig and bird. I would have frolicked naked if it was not so cold in celebration!

Pav, my kids tell me if i ever end up like my mother they will whack me in a nursing home and leave me there. Luckily for them i am not my mother, i am me. Now all i want to do is stay home for a few days and i cant. Have fun at the conference! Its nice to know yo wont be worried about drinking as you dont drink.

Off to work i go, take care everyone.

Hi Kensho, glad you are not drinking and life has settled down.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post

I have been refocusing my desires to drink into efforts to be what I really aspire to for my children. They need me now, and want my attention. Drinking would only take me further away from that. It is a satisfying and awesome experience to really talk with my kids, and really listen. And play "princess in the grocery store" or take them to the frozen yogurt shop instead.

G - I like it when you throw the happy out there! Keep it rolling my friend!
            You're a star Kensho! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by available View Post
            I would have frolicked naked if it was not so cold in celebration!
            Oooh la la! op:

Great post Pav!

Good to see u JKM. Have an easy MAE out there nesters.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hey nesters!
              Pav nailed it in her post about the self talk. I learned the hard way that HOPE is not a strategy. Success requires a PLAN. I always revert back to Narilly's byline....I can have the life I want, or I can drink. Just ONE doesnt exist for me....not just one occasion or one drink. It took me a LONG time to get to this point and I will do everything I can to protect it.....even if its not popular. I really don't care what other people think, they havent walked in my shoes, or seen the look on my poor husband's face when I disappointed him time after time. Now, he is proud of me and that is priceless. Make a PLAN, maybe put someone else in charge of the booze. I made a vow never to drink or buy it and so far I have kept my word. I wont 'LIKE' pictures on facebook that show AL, I cant promote or condone a substance that nearly robbed me of everything I hold dear. Thats just me. I HATE AL....for what it has done to me and all my friends here. I will not be part of its celebration. Yes, Im a hard-liner but I have to be. This stuff is out to kill us! I will not drink period....that's MY self talk! Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Naked frolicking? Oh no, no, no, not at my age, ha ha!!!
                Glad things are settling down for you Ava

Kim, CONGRATS on your 4 weeks AF :welldone:
                That is the best reason to not drink at the party. What you really want is to turn that 4 weeks into 8 weeks, 12 weeks & beyond!!

We had such a beautiful day today & now we are being warned of a heat wave for the rest of the week. How does this happen?
                Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest. Think good thoughts

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Pav - yep, same for me - the only thing that has really worked is making alcohol non-negotiable. It's not an option, ever, period. Good luck with your networking events. Sounds like you've got a good strategy wired down, and I can't say I blame you - I think I'd do the same thing!

Jkm - welcome back, glad to see you! Thanks for the podcast suggestions.

Ready - sorry to hear of your miscarriage. I imagine that must have been very difficult in general over the past several months and then in particular at your hospital appt yesterday. Sending you hugs :hug:
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

7 Days AF & NF .Wasn't as hungry today and got feelings of tiredness & confusion. Should have had L-Glut 1st thing in morn

Comment

I finished a really good book yesterday about being a "Happy Addict" - it was so positive and empowering, although I didn't do all the exercises as I am not that imaginative (yet, maybe??!) about my so-called amazing future sober life. But then I had a bad headache last night, and it has just returned now after my lunch break. Today, I feel a bit "blah", and I realised I have started to entertain thoughts of drinking on Saturday. I have the whole day and night to myself, who would know? My daughter will be with her dad until the Sunday morning, and after working some overtime on Saturday morning, I will then be alone and free except for some shopping. It is how it always starts up again with me - an opportunity to "get away with it". Which quickly descends in to madness and not hiding it very well, and then not even bothering to hide it. I have blood tests scheduled for Friday morning and a meal out with a friend that night who knows I'm not drinking, she'll be driving and isn't a drinker anyway so I know I won't drink before then, but I am scared about Saturday. Blah.

Comment

Ready - Good job thinking ahead to Saturday and recognizing the potential for slipping. This gives you time to PLAN differently so that you won't drink. First of all - who would know is that YOU would know. So, not really getting away with it after all. Ok, what kinds of strategies or tools work best for you? Planning a full day and night so that you're too busy to drink? Avoiding certain triggers? Changing your thoughts now, while you can, to embrace NOT drinking? A lot of people find that staying close to the nest, checking in and posting hourly if necessary, reading back through tons of threads etc, can all help get over these tempting challenging humps. Just think - by not drinking Sat, won't you be waking up Sunday on Day 14 and the completion of 2 full weeks AF?
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

So a friend shared a horrible story on FB yesterday. I won't go into the details because it's really bad, but the basic plot was that her dad was drinking (again, apparently) and being belligerent, letting the dog out to run loose in the neighborhood. Neighbors complained and after some altercations with the dad they finally called the cops. Story ends with dog dead after being shot in the head by the cops. My friend lost her very sweet dog for no reason except that her dad was under the horribly negative influence of al.

This breaks my heart, and is a searing reminder of just how devastating al is and the terrible consequences that can come about when someone with a drinking problem decides to drink.
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Wags, that is a really sad story. What terrible consequences, like you said, freakin AL.

Feeling good today. No hangover- Un hung- thank goodness. I am still unemployed but at least I am sober. That would really suck to be drinking and be unemployed. I know the negative self talk that would occur with me. Thank goodness that is not happening.
                            Like your self talk Byrdie, Pav.
                            Lav- hot weather? you are lucky, today it is going 'Up' to 6C but then we will be in the high teens tomorrow. thank goodness
                            Ava- you crack me up!

Neo- keep it up, you can do it!

Kensho- glad that things are settling down for you.

Don't drink today everyone.
                            xo
                            Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Readynow79 View Post
                              I realised I have started to entertain thoughts of drinking on Saturday. I have the whole day and night to myself, who would know?
                              Hiya Ready. i know this thinking only too well, as most of us do. Who would know? Mmmm. If i stop right there and pause, reflect on this question, a couple of things stand out as far as my thinking goes in such situations. Who would know? Well, i would know. So why don't i care about how i feel about it? For me it is because my self care, self esteem, self confidence i have allowed to take a battering over the years. The enemy is within though, for me. I can tell myself lots of lies and treat myself so negatively and flippantly with thoughts and self talk that has zero evidence base and is not true.

So, i would know if i drink. If i can't get myself to care and give a damn about me, then i suppose the madness just rolls on. If i am getting sober for me, and me firstly, then i know i'm in with a chance. Just some thoughts. Take care of yourself.

That's real sad Wags.

Clogged up nose and slightly fluey here, but aside from that.....what am i gunna complain about? Sober yesterday, sober today.
                              Last edited by Guitarista; May 17, 2017, 04:48 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Ready, I agree with G. You would know, that is for sure, and you would feel like crap. What do you want from your life? Why go back to that dark place?
                                Stay sober Ready!
                                Don't drink today- just get through today.
                                Let those drinking thoughts float on by.
                                Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X