• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters,
    Just checking in.
    Where's Kensho? Where's Mario?!
    I'm cruising along my sober days. Working, driving kids around. Last night around 6:30, I went to the mall with one of my girls to shop for a graduation dress. It was a spontaneous decision that I NEVER would have done had I still been drinking. That feeling of knowing I can be counted on feels great and will never get old.
    Happy sober Thursday .
    Roobs

Comment

Roobs, Wags, everyone, there is SO much we can do when we don't drink, its amazing!

Ava, I have had so many infected teeth over the years. I was in a car accident when I was 17 and broke my jaw and since then my teeth keep getting infected. Of course, we were all drunk in that accident, ugh. Anyway, I find that there is nothing that hurts worse than an infected tooth. Hang in there!

I found MWO back in 2006 when I was trying to moderate and I was at the end of my rope. I tried to moderate over and over again and then I finally quit 3 years ago. Persistence was the key I guess!

Have a great sober Thursday.
      xo
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

All your posts made me think back to how I ever came to find myself on a stop drinking website. Even typing it now, I can hardly believe I joined. I was scared to death and thought that everyone I've ever met surely would read my posts and identify me. Now it turns out that not that many people who really could use it even find their way to the site, much less all my friends and relatives :uncomfortableness:. But I'd tried and failed enough times to keep believing I could do it on my own and there was absolutely no way I was willing to consider in person support. I remember reading a few sites over the course of a couple weeks and ended up liking this one the best. The NN was very active with @Lavande providing security, @Byrdlady cheering everyone on, and @kuya sharing factual information. @NoraC and [MENTION=22747]Struggles 106[/MENTION] (as AnnCarolina) each had little community threads with people chatting about life and supporting one another so kindly. I so wanted to be "like them" and one Wednesday evening that was just like almost all evenings preceding it for years, I for some reason screwed up all my courage and registered, knowing full well that it would be trending online the next day that NO SUGAR IS AN ADDICT :yikes:!! I was so paranoid! Now I'm so grateful that I was sick enough of myself to take what I saw as a huge risk - a risk that turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life. Much thanks to all of you - xx NS
        Last edited by NoSugar; June 15, 2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I looked up "How to stop drinking" and once I got here, thought I could moderate and nearly killed myself in the process. I took the long way around but finally got it.
          Lav, good luck with your hubs tomorrow.
          Ava, abcessed teeth are the worst. Im so sorry, I hope those antibiotics kick in soon.
          My meeting went well this morning. Its good to be home! Been a long week. Nighty nesters, Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post

Well nesters, i've began antabuse today an hour ago. I popped about a quarter of a 250 mg pill, so on my way. I sure have no intention to drink anywhere near this med. Purpose is to keep me on the straight and narrow and up an running for a few months. It stays in the system for a couple of weeks i'm told, so i'm looking to pop a quarter tab every couple of days or so to minimise any potential side effects liver issues. Wish me luck and good choices.

Take it easy out there.
            Gman it's no secret that I am on antabuse too... the drug is 60 years old or so, and it is not known to have any serious side effects except in very rare circumstances... the whole point of it is that it DOES affect the liver by stopping it from producing the enzymes that break down alcohol so if you have a drink when on it it has the effect of not only making you sick but giving you sweats, palpitations a racing heart, headache etc. These won't kill you but you'll probably wish they did!...
            You may read on google some people saying it doesn't work...trust me it does...I was stupid enough to test it on a previous quit...

The usual dose in the uk is 200mg per day and in some countries its higher - sometimes up to 500mg...the higher the dose the worse the effects if you drink...

It stays in the system for a varying amount of time depending on your metabolism and bmi. The point is just don't drink on this!

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
            I looked up "How to stop drinking" and once I got here, thought I could moderate and nearly killed myself in the process. I took the long way around but finally got it.
            Like Byrdie that's how I found MWO...but it wasn't easy tomfind and like Ava I was drunk when I was looking...

I think it could/should be easier to find...dont know how that could happen [MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION]

Does it need more of us to subscribe to give more funds for promoting it on google etc? If so, I'm happy to do that if the management could set us a sterling subscription...for those of us this side of the pond... you never know what your paying until it's too late on US dollar subscriptions as it fluctuates a lot...
            Last edited by tonyniceday; June 15, 2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Everything went well today but boy am I tired! The surgery was delayed 2 hours so we just had to sit & wait but it turned out fine. Our Kindergartener has graduated & everyone is happy I can't believe all three of our grandkids are through those early years, they went by so quickly. The reason I mention them often is because the arrival of the first one 8 1/2 years ago is what made me finally stop BS-ing myself & straighten up! I desperately wanted to be happy & healthy & a part of their lives. If they hadn't arrived when they did I honestly don't know where I would be today or in what condition. That makes me sad to think about that but it also helps keep me on the straight & narrow. There's absolutely no going back for me, not an option!!

Ava, you may be surprised a couple days on the antibiotic will make a huge difference. Hang in there.

I am glad to see everyone checking in & doing well. This is something that takes a lot of work in the beginning but you'll never regret it, I promise
              Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav, I'm so glad everything went well for you and Yard Bird or Yard Boy, I'm not sure which it is that you call your hubs! Bah. I'm glad that is behind you both. Hope you have a restful weekend!

It's only Friday, nesters, not a ticket to Boozeville! Be safe and well, all! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by tonyniceday View Post
                  Gman it's no secret that I am on antabuse too... the drug is 60 years old or so, and it is not known to have any serious side effects except in very rare circumstances... the whole point of it is that it DOES affect the liver by stopping it from producing the enzymes that break down alcohol so if you have a drink when on it it has the effect of not only making you sick but giving you sweats, palpitations a racing heart, headache etc. These won't kill you but you'll probably wish they did!...
                  You may read on google some people saying it doesn't work...trust me it does...I was stupid enough to test it on a previous quit...

The usual dose in the uk is 200mg per day and in some countries its higher - sometimes up to 500mg...the higher the dose the worse the effects if you drink...

It stays in the system for a varying amount of time depending on your metabolism and bmi. The point is just don't drink on this!

Like Byrdie that's how I found MWO...but it wasn't easy tomfind and like Ava I was drunk when I was looking...

I think it could/should be easier to find...dont know how that could happen [MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION]

Does it need more of us to subscribe to give more funds for promoting it on google etc? If so, I'm happy to do that if the management could set us a sterling subscription...for those of us this side of the pond... you never know what your paying until it's too late on US dollar subscriptions as it fluctuates a lot...
                  I'd love to hear back from [MENTION=9640]Forum Manager[/MENTION] to see if there's anything we can do as members to get this place on the map again, I tried googling it last night and unless you specifically type it in it doesn't pop up,thank you
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good morning, happy Friday everyone.
                    I am going to the market today and eating at my mom's for lunch. My daughter is back from Uni for a few days so I am spending time with here. It is so nice.

Glad to be feeling good today. Lovin' the sober life.
                    I have 2 block parties tomorrow because it is Neighbourhood Day here. I still remember the block party I went to 4 years ago where I got just hammered. I blacked out, spilled wine on my neighbour's new floor, left the chicken out on the counter so I had to throw it out, was asking people for more wine because I ran out, staggered home. This year that aint' gonna happen

Yes, I agree we need to make this website more searchable or it will slowly fade away.

Don't drink today.
                    xo
                    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Getting ready for our big road trip back to the towns/cities where my partner and I used to live (before we met, years ago). We were talking on the phone with my SIL and BIL last night - that's who we're staying with for a few nights of the trip - and the "what would you two like for us to have on hand in the way of alcohol?" question came up. My s.o. is a "2-beers-a-night-and-no-more drinker" as I've mentioned before. She listed out some of the things she'd like, and they took notes. I just said "I won't be drinking" and left it at that. It was no big deal, but I'm glad to get it out on the table and to have locked myself in to my quit just in case temptation should come up once I get there.

One of the best parts for me is that this upcoming visit with them will really highlight how far I've come in the past year. They came and stayed with us for a week or so last July, and we drank every day/night. I can distinctly remember riding my bike to get more beer at one point because I was in no shape to drive. Sigh... Their visit last summer was in mid-July. The last weekend of July my partner and I went camping, and that was the weekend I started my quit by ceremoniously pouring my remaining drinks over the campfire to help put it out and to symbolize my emergence from the ashes. While we're visiting with them later this month, I'll reach the 11-month milestone of my quit, and I couldn't be happier about it.

I haven't always felt this way, but today, I can truly say I'm happy being sober and I finally believe I'll never drink again.

So nesters - while on this road trip (2+ weeks) I will probably have days where I have no wifi or cell service and I might not be able to post regularly. I will definitely check in whenever I can, but my absence will NOT mean I slipped and drank.

I'll be around the next few days before we leave as well. Happy Friday everyone!
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi Everyone. I am here and doing well. I generated this list the other day and thought I'd share it. I have learned so much over the past 8+ months...

Why not to drink:
                        1. Makes sleep worse
                        2. Makes you depressed
                        3. Causes cancer and other health problems
                        4. It takes you away from what's important
                        5. It causes obsession
                        6. It causes you to sneak an lie
                        7. It is not the source of true happiness
                        8. It doesn't actually solve problems
                        9. You can't be there for others if you're drunk
                        10. You can't be there for yourself if you're drunk
                        11. Hangovers hurt and waste time
                        Last edited by KENSHO; June 16, 2017, 11:50 AM.
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Great list Kensho. Good to see ya.

Sounds like a really fab trip you're embarking on Wags! Coolio.

Now nesters. It's the weekend. This don't mean a ticket to no boozeville you savvy?

Have a great AF weekend everyone.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

It was a good day today, no where near as hectic as yesterday, thank goodness

Wags, enjoy your trip & wishing you a happy 11 month AF anniversary (a little early)

Narilly, that sure is a lot of block parties, ha ha! Enjoy!

Kensho, good to see you. Your list sounds solid.

Hi there to Pauly & G & everyone.
                            Wishing a safe night in the nest for all of us!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                              Hi Everyone. I am here and doing well. I generated this list the other day and thought I'd share it. I have learned so much over the past 8+ months...

Why not to drink:
                              1. Makes sleep worse
                              2. Makes you depressed
                              3. Causes cancer and other health problems
                              4. It takes you away from what's important
                              5. It causes obsession
                              6. It causes you to sneak an lie
                              7. It is not the source of true happiness
                              8. It doesn't actually solve problems
                              9. You can't be there for others if you're drunk
                              10. You can't be there for yourself if you're drunk
                              11. Hangovers hurt and waste time
                              So glad to see you Kensho and to hear that you're doing well. Great list!!!
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, I am new. Started campral yesterday. Had my usual amount of beers last night. Today I have had my first beer at 10am, normal for me on a non work day. How long till this stuff kicks in? Thanks for having me here too.

Comment

Working...
                                X