Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Pav, good thing you did not fall for that martini trick! You don't drink so that was no issue

Way to go TJAF, 4 years is awesome. I am working on my 4th year so I am with you. Last night one of the ladies I was hanging out with said she has been sober for 4 years. Her story was similar to mine where she just could not stop at one and was having blackouts etc. I think my story was worse but whatever, we both had a problem with AL.

Nice to wake up the day after Canada Day Un Hung, oh YEAH!

As Pav says, Happy Sober Sunday, Nest.
    xo
    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good afternoon, Nest.
      I had the darndest dream last night. I was at some work function and I had made a sale to Com-Tex, maker of baby diapers (this is not a real company that I know of, I forget the name of the diapers...) but afterwards, I got sick and hurled. I took a big swig of vodka and rinsed my mouth out, realized what Id done and spat it out. This was all in front of customers! At least I had the presence of mind to spit it out. Then I knew I'd have to come clean with the nest! Thankfully, I woke up before that happened! Dreams are just crazy....SO REAL! I felt so guilty and remorseful.....what a wake up call!
      Stay strong nesters, you arent alone in what you are doing or thinking. Stick with your support!
      Hope everyone has an easy day. Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Whew Byrdie, that was quite a dream! At least you had the state of mind to spit it out- in your dream. Its interesting that you woke up feeling guilty and remorseful. None of us miss waking up with THAT feeling.

Thanks for helping us to Stay Strong xo
        Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post

Ava - I had to laugh. I work with teenagers and have two at home. Tell that doctor that I've NEVER seen a teenager not be a teenager. I saw a doc once about teenagers in other cultures, and one reason that ours can be such a pain is that they don't really have a "role" in our culture. They have to exert themselves somehow to prove they are maturing, but we don't give them much of an avenue to do so. Our schools are situated so that they have to learn before they "do" so they feel useless and have to exert their usefulness but being stubborn pains in the a$$.
          Yo nesters!

This is interesting Pav, and makes a lot of sense to me. Bored teenagers can easily find themselves on the wrong side of the law simply because they have a need to spread their wings and express themselves and part of that might be looking for some recognition amongst peers or self. No excuse for throwing a rock through a window but i can understand such behaviour. Then there are traumatised young folk who are understandably very angry and just want to lash out. Locking our teenagers up isn't necessarily the answer. It's a lazy approach really.

Big waves to upside down land from upside down land! day 21. Looking gooooood :thumbsup:

Just do your best friend.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Reporting in from hot & humid land, ugh!
            The garden is growing like crazy, of course so are the weeds, ha ha!!
            TJ, so good to see you & hear that your surgery went well!
            Joint replacements are big & painful surgeries so taking the strong pain meds initially is OK & even necessary. You know, I'm sure that you have to get that new joint moving so it doesn't freeze up on you (I've seen that happen with patients). Great job on your almost 4 years, we're here to celebrate with you. I hope the rest of this year is joyful for you!

Nice on your 21 G & glad your date went well

Byrdie, your dream sounds like something from a sci-fi movie LOL
            Maybe you need to take a few days off from work, geez. I am grateful that I haven't had any of those dreams in a long time, they are freaky for sure!

Hello to the rest of the crew & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lav thanks for the good thoughts. Yup started on PT almost immediately even though I don't wanna! Narilly thanks for the good thoughts as well. Congrats on your 4 years of freedom too!
              Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Morining.

TJAF - Just saw your post - we must have crossed? Anyway - good luck with the new shoulder. I imagine that is very painful. I share your fear about those opioids. My mom is 77 and a friend of hers around her age had surgery and ended up addicted to the things. My husband had minor surgery and he came home with 90 pills. NINETY. I don't think they are as careless these days (that was a few years ago).

Happy Monday, Nest. I am heading to work even though it seems most of the country has it off. Have a good one.

Pav

Comment

Pav, I had to work today, too. Got a lot done without the phone and email inturruptions.

Congrats going out to our friend, Mick, for 5 years tomorrow! He's one of the old timers! Well done, friend! :llama:
                  i have tomorrow off, Im going to frost a cake! Will take a snap if it turns out ok. Happy Independence Day! Byrdie
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hot, hot, hot today - summer is here for sure!

Pav, Byrdie & everyone else stuck working the holiday - I feel for ya, really!
                    I spent 30 years working every other holiday & every other weekend (sometimes more). I am enjoying not doing that anymore but almost feel a little guilty.

TJ, have a super safe holiday!

Wishing everyone a safe holiday & a safe night in the nest!
                    Mick, I think Byrdie is baking something for you CONGRATS on your 5 AF years!!! :welldone:

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning everyone.

Way to go Mick! 5 years? holy smokes man

Well, I am not working either but I just got an interview on Thursday. I have been off work since January and it has been quite nice. I have been totally enjoying myself. It is nice to have time off and to really enjoy it and not drink it away.

Have a great day peeps!
                      xo
                      Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good morning and Happy Independence Day to the USA!

I'm feeling frustrated today and I felt like I should get it off my chest. I'm pissed I can't drink. I watched a traveling cooking show last night, "I'll have what Phil's having," the episode took place in Paris! Grr, how will I ever go back Paris or any part of France without drinking?! I know I'm having a pity party and I haven't been sleeping well so I'm tired but I just feel so angry and sad about it. On top of my pity party, I'm feeling very anxious about my teenagers being BORED, hanging out with friends. " Have we been doing this parent thing all wrong, have we been too lenient, are they doomed, is it too late?" I'm a wreck today. I think I see a nap in my future. Thanks for reading folks.
                        Roobs

Comment

Tjaf, so sorry on your stressful year, I was too busy whining that I didn't see your post. Congrats on your up and coming 4 years.
                          Last edited by Roobs; July 4, 2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Roobs, I feel your pain. Right now I am in touch with a good friend who is traveling through Southeast Asia with two drinking friends and her young daughter. There have been many triggers for her, but ultimately she is truly enjoying the trip. She has texted me photos of early morning swims, jogging through cities, hikes, and fancy tropical n/a drinks. There are moments, but really and truly she is feeling free and happy. She has more time and energy for her daughter, and is seeing places she never would have made time for. Think of all Paris has to offer that ISN'T dependent on drinking. Including eating delicious food.

I also have been thinking that I screwed up/am screwing up my teenagers in many ways. Too much screen time, not enough structure. Teenagers SHOULD be bored some times - forces them to ponder and to create their own entertainment (I still continue to hope that won't involve illegal substances...)

Anyway - your post hit home for me today. A nap sounds like a good idea. We are waiting on our teen to get going to come with us to a parade we may just miss because he is taking so long. Sigh...

Happy 4th to those of you celebrating. Byrdie - share your cake with us!

Pav

Comment

Roobs, I went thru a spell like that, too. We used to travel extenisively and the thought of not drinking was unthinkable. But if we really think about it, how much does AL really add to anything we do? The most memorable times of my life include people and scenery, the FEELING of contentment, NOT whats in my glass, that is only MY perception (that I'm missing something). With time, those feelings will fade and you'll thank your lucky stars that you arent tied to that dam bottle. There is NO GOOD for us in drinking, even on vacation. Paris is even more beautiful sober!

I did decorate a cake today, it kicked my arse. Im not sure I am qualified to make my neices wedding cake. I may should be checking out what myblocal bakery can do!
                              Here is today's project.
                              IMG_2807.jpg
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Incredible cake Byrdy!

Hope you're feeling better soon Roobs. You know having a drink thinking it will enhance a place, event, or the company we keep is an illusion. Nice for maybe half an hour, but then comes the inevitable plummet into hell for us. :happy2: I try to rise above that base instinct to a much better place all round in my mind. Not always easy.

Day 23!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X