X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
    With MWO as the tow truck! :happy2:
    I bet we are going to get kicked off MWO if we take this analogy much further :haha:!

Comment

I love all the anologies! Keep on trucking!

Well I did not win the cookie contest, the pastry gods just were with me today. There were 37 entries, so stiff competition. I make decorated shortbread cookies so they are not fancy tasting....a humble cookie, really, but I sure thought the company logo would win over hearts and minds. NOT. Oh well, it was fun to dream.

I have developed a dang habit of eating Hershey kisses in the afternoon (like 15 of them). I've picked up 4 pounds that Im really having trouble shedding. Today I was determined to break the cycle. I instructed hubs to get the rest of the bag out of my reach and when the urge came this afternoon, I drank some water instead and the craving passed. It wasnt easy, but that cycle just has to be broken or it will never end! Im very proud of myself having gotten thru that. Onwards!
      Hope everyone has an easy evening! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Well we finally got that big storm, tons of rain too.

Byrdie, sorry you did not win the contest but you are always a winner in my book!
        I have known like forever that I am a chocolate-holic SO I decided to pretty much stay away from it, ha ha. Actually I found out years ago that I just cannot tolerate milk chocolate so I have to search for the good stuff, expensive dark chocolate so it's not much of a temptation any more. I can't lose a single pound anymore at my age

Thanks G & NS for your analogies...very entertaining
        I say whatever works for you is exactly what you should do!

LC, stay unstuck....it's good for you!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest.
        My grandson is back for another 2 night stay - fun times

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning Nesters,
          I also love the analogies.. thank you for that, NS..
          I had a little bump in the road last night when my ex called to tell/warn me that his new girlfriend and her son are coming in August to visit for 3 weeks. I guess it's not such a big deal. I probably/hopefully won't bump into them at all. I was just so happy with not hearing from him or about him. So I guess i didn't react too badly.. because my goal is not to deal with any crap until after 30 days AF.. but I did send off an email that I possibly shouldn't have.. just saying that i didn't want to have contact with him. At least not now. A good and caring friend of mine told me that I was unnecessarily harsh.. I told her I was aiming for "direct" rather than harsh. But I'm also ok with harsh. I'm practicing Pema with the people I find it easy with and with myself at the moment. I can move on to the more difficult people in the future.

My dad and I have a weekly phone date Saturday mornings, 7am my time. This morning I was up super early and gave him a call. I could tell by his voice that he was quite tipsy and asked if he wanted to call me back. He said, yeah, how about in half an hour.. and of course he never did. He's a happy drunk who hasn't let it get too much out of control. He loves his alcohol and I know he will never quit.. he doesn't even have the glimmer of a notion (can you even say that?) that he might have a problem. Though one could say it's affecting his quality of life; he's very overweight and has to take lots of pills to control all sorts of things, he can't move like he would like to, and his short term memory is fading fast. Sometimes he tells me the same story 3 times within half an hour.. so it's actually better when he calls me my evening, his morning.

Byrdie and Lav, I'm right there with you with regards to chocolate! And gummi bears at the moment. Disgusting. That's one thing I will definitely re-think after the first 30 days are up. Right now I'm trying, but I have to admit that I'm sometimes emotionally eating.

ahh. here's my dad calling! Let's see.
          Lovely day to you all!

p.s. Humble cookies are my favourite cookies!
          Last edited by lifechange; July 15, 2017, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Evening nesters

NS i am now driving a convertible with the roof down and enjoying the view, it is very rare i experience fog or storms but that has been achieved through time and dedication and love and support from here.

Byrd so sorry you did not win, your cookies are the best so someone bribed the judges obviously.

I went to Sale to visit my son and mum and the other half and i had a lovely day. Mum seemed happy to see me which was lovely and things are a bit more relaxed with her. Hopefully things are positively moving forward. I did get the cannabis oil off my son so will start that with mads next week, she is doing okay at the moment.

LC great work on stopping that al brain winning, with each win we gather more ammunition to beat that voice next time until it is a vague whisper .

Dress shopping again tomorrow for the wedding in a weeks time, i did manage to get my hair done on friday so i am thinking at least my hair will detract from the naked look. Fingers crossed something will jump out at me tomorrow.

Happy days playing nana Lav, they are certainly precious to enjoy and i love my time with the twins now. spoiling them is so easy to do.

Pav how is the boy going? i am pretty amazed with myself when i do random things and i am sober. So many times i could not do a single thing as i was on a mission to get pissed.

Well off to cook hamburgers for dinner.

Take care
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

I'm enjoying the analogy too - especially all the add-on ideas! MWO is the tow truck G, or maybe the full service auto club sometimes!

Byrdie - sorry to hear you didn't win the cookie contest. I'm sure we would have voted you number one!!!

Ava - good luck dress shopping, but yay for distracting hair at least

LC - not sure what your arrangement is with your ex, but in your shoes I probably wouldn't have wanted the phone call re the gf & son's upcoming visit either. Direct is good! You take care of you right now, you can worry about smoothing over the edges once you're solid. Hope the phone convo with your dad went well.

Happy weekend everyone!!!
              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Love the driving down the road analogy as well!
                I'm telling ya, that contest was fixed, Byrdie!
                You're sound good, LC! keep rolling! Tell us more about Andre, what a story, I'm intrigued.
                Keep on trucking indeed!keep-on-truckin.jpg

Comment

Happy Sattidy, all.
                  I appreciate the consolations on the cookie contest. LC, I like humble cookies, too!
                  Watched Sully today, what a good movie and amazing story! Glad I wasnt on that flight! Makes me think about the shoes I wear when I travel now!
                  Hope everyone is having an easy day, Byrdie
                  Last edited by Byrdlady; July 16, 2017, 02:18 PM.
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I am happily but totally exhausted after a fun day. I took my grandson to an archaeology dig at an old grist mill not too far away. They have a program geared for kids & they get to sift thru dirt & look for artifacts, fun stuff Of course it was 90+ degrees & hot as hell which wiped me out.
                    While we were out the finishing touches were put on a project to get some shade on our too sunny deck. We finally found a couple of young Amish guys to help with the heavy lifting & they did great.

LC, keep your focus on your #1 project right now & that's getting your 30 days AF. There will be plenty of time & opportunity to deal with others, especially the difficult ones. You are doing great, hang in there!

Ava, glad your trip is going well.

Hello to wags, Mr V, Byrdie & everyone!
                    Wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all,

What a cool project for the kids Lav. Mick would love that!

Byrdie. I got one word. Rigged!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning Nesters!
                        Very happy to be here and Unhung on a beautiful Sunday morning. Right now I'm in a funny mindset, not quite believing that I ever wanted to drink. I know this phase and I love it because there's the feeling of everything being possible. I have been here before, though, so I'm super aware of the fact that I'll be hit out of nowhere with intense and irrational cravings.. so I'm on guard. There's a work summer party on Tuesday which we in the kitchen will be preparing.. drinks included. And there's already been a huge discussion about whether or not tequila or mezcal is better for margaritas. I've just laughed at the discussion and otherwise kept myself out of that part of the preparation. Amazing how much energy is put into the perfect drink and whether or not we ordered enough beer! I know I won't have a problem on that day.. We're also making delicious non alcoholic drinks, which seem to be important to many in the studio.. I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one who knows she/he is much better off without the stuff.
                        Otherwise, slowly and conscientiously moving forward.

Good news with André in that it looks like he might have a flat/room sooner than he thought. Someone from Caritas (like Red Cross), which is the organization that's been helping him out with legal stuff, searching for a place, etc., went by the bike shop (in the house he was evicted from.. they've also been helping him out in various ways) to leave a message and he'll head over tomorrow to find out the details. I'm enjoying having him around in the mornings and late afternoons and the girls have warmed up to him as well. There have been a couple of difficult times for me, where I have felt quite bad sending him out for the evening, knowing there would be strong winds and heavy rains. He does sleep in a protected place and has told me the next morning that he only noticed it was cold from feeling it on the tip of his nose. He never complains and would never ask if he could stay here. But still, I sometimes feel bad. It's strange because he's basically sleeping less than a level below (i'm on the first floor, above the ground floor which is occupied by a restaurant, tattoo parlour, etc) just a house down the street so we have almost the same experience each night regarding noise from the restaurant, parties being held in the park across the street or in neighboring flats. Neither of us could sleep Friday night because of some crazies across the street who played loud techno until 530 in the morning.. Anyway, I can't do more than I'm doing without beginning to resent him, which I definitely don't want because I like him a lot. I know myself and I have problems with setting boundaries as it is.. and I can just see myself having a new full time room-mate within a month or two, which I don't want. So this is also a good lesson in being strong and clear, but nice and respectful with boundaries. Especially because he isn't asking anything so I don't actually have to say no.. I just have to hold myself back from offerring more than I'm ok with.

Ava! So glad to hear of the successful and nice visit with your mom..I know it can be and has been quite stressful at times. How does the cannabis oil work with Mads? Hope you found a gorgeous dress to go with your new Do.. let us know.. I'd love to hear a description.

Lav, that sounds like so much fun with the kids (minus the heat!). I don't know what grist is though.. I'll have to google it. Just did.. Wow, the images that came up are beautiful. Of course most that they show are in the woods and on a river.. so it looks like a cool and refreshing place to be! I have a mental block as to which state you're in, even though I know you've told me before..

Ok. off for a little run.. Big hugs to everyone! Wags and Pav and Byrdie and Mr. V, Gman, NS, Pauly, Marylou, Ssd.. wishing you all a lovely Sunday!
                        Last edited by lifechange; July 16, 2017, 02:41 AM.

Comment

evening nesters

shopping done and dusted, i went to one store and bought a black dress (cocktail wedding) with a black and cream wrap and black stockings with white dots so i do have colour and a nice pair of shoes. I didnt even break the other halfs credit card as the store had 30-50% of all stock so it was a win win today. who the hell gets married in winter time!

LC make sure you eat before you go to the party and be prepared for all of those well caring people who will try and entice you to have just ONE. if i was paid a dollar for that statement being spoken to me, i would be retired by now. The oil is used for pain relief, started on a very weak dose and gradually give more as time goes on. i will start her on a very small amount for the time being.

Lav, that sounds like a lovely day for you and your grandson except the heat. its hard to imagine your scorching weather when not too long ago you had so much snow.

Work tomorrow so best get organised.

take care x
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

The dress and stockings sound gorgeous, Ava! You'll be a knock out..
                            You're right about eating and I will be the entire day! It's a full day of cooking and excitement and we're grilling which will be fun. To be honest, my plan is to head off early as I will have been there from 8am. I'll definitely also get up early to check in here and state my goal for the day!
                            xx

Comment

Lav - sounds like a good day all around, with the activity for your g'son and the shade improvements for your deck. Yay!

Ava - hooray for successful shopping trips and on sale too!

Byrdie - you're a good sport with the cookies. What did the winners look/taste like? Or did you even get to see them, sample them?

LC - as someone else with a bit of difficulty setting boundaries, I can see how the situation with Andre would be a bit challenging sometimes, but it sounds like you're doing a great job. You can't, and don't have to, do everything to help change his situation. It must be hard though to know that he's leaving your place to go sleep outside, but you must also take care of yourself and your family. It sounds like things are moving in a good direction for him with the housing - fingers crossed! Good self-awareness on your part, both with Andre and with this stage you're in with your quit. Yes, have a plan going in on Tue and stick to it like glue! You know you might get struck by cravings or temptations, so it's smart to think ahead and bolster against that. We're with you!!!

Hope everyone has a good MAE! Has anyone heard from Tony, Kensho, some of the others we haven't seen lately?
                              Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, Nest and Happy Sunday:

LC - sounding strong. I know I have shared this before, but maybe what you're experiencing is the Pink Cloud Effect (remember, I'm a researcher and reader, so skip ahead if you don't want to hear more). It is a feeling of euphoria after quitting - feeling SO great, like you're floating on a pink cloud. The only danger is that when "real life" comes crashing down, sometimes people aren't ready, or have stopped paying attention to their sobriety (because they feel they don't have to). To me, the message was enjoy how great you're feeling AND take care to understand that life has its ups and downs sober or not. Here is a short article about it if you want: http://alcoholrehab.com/addiction-recovery/pink-cloud/

Hah. I had to Google grist also. Lav, that sounds like your grandson must have had a ball. You are a fun granny!

Ava - Love it. The last three dresses I bought (I don't wear dresses much) were all for weddings and I somehow ended up with all black or mostly black, even for summer weddings (they were light, sleeveless). I guess I get into a rut! I really like weddings - usually good food and good dancing.

Byrdie - I know your cookies were the best. They'll be hitting you up for those logo cookies next meeting!

Off to enjoy this beautiful day. Take care of yourselves, and don't drink!

Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X