Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Itchy Lav checking in here but I'm OK, ha ha!!
    I happen to know that I have an over-reactive immune system so these things are not a big surprise to me. My allergies have gotten worse over the course of my lifetime but aging will do that (along with developing new allergies). A tube of Cortisone cream helps a lot. I just don't like it when I am forced to go seek a Rx for Prednisone, yuck.

Sunday shall be an all day celebration here for you wags, nice

LC, sorry about that tequila laced spoonful of something, ugh. Sometimes people can be thoughtless.

Hello to Pav, Ava, G, Byrdie & everyone.
    I have to be up & out at 5:30 tomorrow morning to get my husband to the hospital for his hand surgery. Not used to those crazy early hours anymore, oh well.
    Have a safe night in the nest everyone!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Quickie fly by on my way to work..
      see you all in a bit!

Comment

Lav is itching with her bug bite and G Man is itching with the Love Bug!
        Lav I am so afraid of bees it's nuts. I've been stung twice, it felt like I was violted, and it hurt. You are being a big girl, I wish I could give you a monkey sticker like I got at my last flu shot. I hope your reaction subsides soon.

Funny,altho none of us broke out in hives when we drank, the reaction was no less impactful. Food for thought on a Thursday. Hope everyone has an easy day! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Monkey stickers all around, for a job(s) well done.monkey 2.jpg

Comment

Hi Nesters!
            Came home straight after work to check in with you all.. My mind was playing games with me again. It's kind of like Friday 'cause we don't have to work tomorrow and after the stressful week and with the terrible heat my brain went to thinking of cold A drinks. I didn't entertain the idea. I'm happy to be on day 14. I definitely don't want to go back and try to start again.

Wags, for me as well, alcohol helped me in "small talk"/party/gathering situations. On Tuesday evening I suffered a bit.. but what I try to do, when I remember, is just to become totally interested in the person I'm talking to. Asking questions, trying to make it more personal, whether or not I'm initially interested. Often I'm surprised.. but often I forget and can't think of anything interesting to say. I'll have to work on that.. maybe creating a social gathering repertoire of stories. ha! Not like I go out that much anyway.

Lav, how are the welts? Feeling better, I hope.

So I guess I don't have much to say.
            Here's a funny video my mom sent me today. We are cat LOVERS and tend to do silly things with ours as well..and I have one that looks just like the cat on the right..
            xx

Comment

This seems to be how MWO works if you let it, [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION]:
              Came home straight after work to check in with you all..
              I'd lost all self-respect by the time I'd joined here so commitments to myself didn't mean much. I couldn't let myself down much more than I already had. But -- once I made promises to people who I came to respect and care about, I really didn't want to disappoint them, especially the ones who had spent so much time and effort freely helping me. Now, I know this need for external approval likely was part of my initial problem but it actually worked to my advantage in the early AF days. The subsequent years have involved not recovering the person I was before addiction but evolving to be a sober, self-confident person less dependent on the good opinion of others. That's not to say I don't care what others think of me but my whole sense of self-worth is not contingent on it anymore. The self-examination that has to be part of a successful end to addiction is one of its gifts. I'm not sure most of us would do the "work" otherwise. It offers the opportunity for us to be more than we would have been without the whole experience. And the cool thing is - it can be a life-long expansion up and out, away from the person who was biochemically, physiologically, socially, and spiritually in a state open to addiction.

Congratulations on getting past your tough week - enjoy the long weekend, especially with your girls now out of school. xx

Comment

Thanks for that, NS.. I am feeling so good at the moment. It's becoming easier to play it through when thoughts of drinking come to mind. It still happens quite often.. today at the grocery store having A beer popped into my mind and immediately I was able to counter with, yeah, but it will never be just one. Then it was gone. I think I have finally proven to myself and understand that it will never just be one for me.. I've known that for so long but now I'm done fooling myself. I was so happy that I didn't fall for the BS and walking home I felt proud to be a part of this team.

I hope you all have a good MAE.. I'm off to bed soon and will check in tomorrow morning.
                xx

Comment

NS! You should write a book, I could read your words all day!

LC, when I first got going, I had a quit mate who was two weeks ahead of me. I was having a heck of a time, but she wrote something that stuck with me to this day. She was meeting her sisters for shopping that weekend, and afterwards, they always stopped off for a glass of wine. She decided not to go that weekend, she said, 'Besides, what's ONE glass of wine going to do for me anyway?' Now how many times had I said to myself, 'WHAT I'D DO FOR ONE GLASS OF WINE!' Who was I kidding, I havent had one glass of wine in 35 years! Once I realized how ludicrous that thought was, I was able to let it go and move on. It really helped me.
                  You are doing great, keep up the great work!
                  Thank you for the monkey sticker, Mr V! XOXO, Byrdie
                  Last edited by Byrdlady; July 21, 2017, 12:36 PM.
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well, the monkey sticker & the cat video did it for me - thanks everyone!
                    Long day, still itching quite a bit but my husband had his hand surgery early this morning & everything went well

LC, I have to agree with NS. I wanted to be a better person than I ever was previously (drinking or not drinking). It was all about the re-invention, a brand new & improved me. That's something we need to tell all newbies that they can be anyone they really want to be. Dump the AL & start imagining & inventing
                    Glad you had a good day & congrats on your 14 AF days, yay!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey NS--what you wrote is exactly what I've been thinking!
                      It's like becoming a new better person.
                      I'm just finding out what I really enjoy, and not the things I did to facilitate drinking. Drinking to excess took a lot of planning, lying, recovering
                      and all manner of wasted time. So stupid really.
                      Seems to me that part of sobriety is realizing that anything resembling "fun" associated with drinking stopped long ago.
                      LONG ago. This Saturday is 14 weeks and I'm doing another short road trip with a friend. Not a drop of alcohol in the picture.
                      I wouldn't even consider it. I'm far too terrified of what could happen.

Thanks to all of you lovely peeps--

Ann

Comment

I agree that NS should write a book. :love:
                        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Morning Nesters!

Yes, the process of evolution is what excites me the most.. I will be happy when I have some distance from the daily "battle" which I'm viewing it as now. It helps me in the moment to see it as a war in certain situations. I don't ever want to go back there. And I have to say, that each morning I wake up sober. having stuck to the promise I made to myself, the stronger and more full of hope and possibility I feel. The base is beginning to form, for which I'm immensely grateful!!

Ann, how fun to do a road trip! Have a wonderful time and well done on almost 14 weeks!

Byrdie, that story is precisely the one I had in mind yesterday.. I remember you telling it before and I honestly remember ignoring it, thinking, yeah, but that might not be me.. I'll just give it one more try. I've had a life time share of "one more try"..

Off to work for a couple of hours and then it's weekend!!
                          The girls and I are going to the public library and I'm forcing my youngest to pick out one book to read this summer..she hasn't yet caught a bug for reading, which is a shame.. but I'm hoping she can learn to love it.. given the right book..?

Anyway, lovely day to you all..

Comment

evening nesters

been a busy week at work,damn i am done by Friday but its now nice to relax and enjoy the next couple of days.

LC congratulations on 2 weeks, keep doing what you are doing! Never trust what anyone offers you with regards to liquid. the other day when i got home from work there was some tomatoe juice in the fridge and i so love tomatoe juice but the first thing i asked my son was if there was any al in it and that was in my own fridge. i always sniff or ask before i drink anything. Proud of you LC.

Wedding tomorrow and boy is it going to be a long day. wedding at 2.30 followed by drinks and canapes and then 6pm the reception. God if i was drinking i would be blind so it will be interesting to see who is blind by 6pm. such a long time to wait and its cold but i am sure i will enjoy myself.

Great post NS, i know i like myself better now but it took awhile to grow into the new me and i never want to be the sad soul that i was nearly 4 years ago. my problem was i didnt realise how awful the world i had made for myself actually was until i stepped into the af one.

well off to have my cup of tea and spend some time with the man.

Not long now Wags!

Take care x
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Great job on your 2 weeks LC!

Comment

NS,that was a brilliant post I too never wanted to let my friends here down or myself of course I keep trying and trying to stay sober! Now I feel like I can't even get a day 1 ugh,LC congrats on 2 weeks!hold on to it for dear life and don't let go
                                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X