Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

I had pancakes for lunch today. It seemed like a good idea at the time. They had a short stack and then the regular. Not wanting to shortchange myself, I got the regular. 4 big pancakes. I immediately asked for a box, and I put two aside and concentrated all my eating efforts towards the task at hand. I cut that stack in half and added gobs of syrup. I got thru the first half and I knew I shoukd quit but I just kept going until I was totally miserable. This set me to thinking...this seems to be a trait of mine....no off switch!
    This makes the whole alcoholism thing a little easier to accept. I cant eat half a candy bar or part of a pack of crackers, I go til its gone. The best practice for me is to just not start. Yes, getting over those rough spots are hard sometimes, but there is always a better choice. AL isnt good for anyone, I was just listening to the news about two young people having AL poisoning in Mexico. AL causes a heck of a lot more problems than it solves.
    Mr G, Im so sorry that you are hurting. I have wanted to find some words of comfort for you all day and none have come to me. I am reminded of my first and worst heartbreak. My high school sweetheart went off to college and met someone else. I was inconsolable. What about all our plans? What about the children we wouldnt have? What about me? How could I go on? Well, I did. About 16 years later, I stopped at a hotel to use the pay phone. My back was to this guy and when he gave his name to the person he was calling I turned around and there he was. Our eyes met and we just couldnt believe the coincidence. We sat and had some coffee. He had gained some weight and lost a lot of hair. I, of course, hadnt changed a bit (eye roll). As we spoke, he bragged about his house, his 3 kids and one on the way. He bragged and bragged and bragged....just like he did in high sxhool. I didnt know it then but nobody else liked him. He hadnt changed at all, but the way I saw him had. At the end of our meeting, he suggested we get together again, yes, he was suggesting more than coffee. I thought to myself, 'You asshole, sitting there with a wife expecting your 4th child, how lucky am I that I didnt marry your sorry ass!' Im telling you, NOT marrying him was a blessing, but it took a while to get to the point I could see that. I hope your heart heals soon. Im sure it doesnt help but you have a lot of people right here that love you to the moon and back!
    Hope everyone has a peaceful evening. Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Getting dark out a bit earlier - change is in the air. I am completely OK with seeing this summer come to an end. It hasn't been my favorite, that's for sure.

Glad to see you all checking in this Monday evening.
      G, I'm sorry but I think I missed something with you. Has your girl gone away, I am sorry :hug:
      LC, just focus on not drinking right now & the rest will sort itself out, honestly.
      Byrdie, sounds like you had a sugar overload there, ugh. Hope you feel better now.

Have a saf enight in the nest everyone!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Yep, all over as of last week Lav. No-one to blame, her call and i think it's fair enough from her angle.

Ah Byrdy! What beautiful words you wrote for me. They're a comfort to be sure my friend. Thanks. (sheesh, that bloke sounds like a real A-hat)

Off to gym and a run. That'll help get myself out of my freakin head for awhile and boost the self worth content! L8tr.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Aww, I am sorry G. Take good care of yourself :hug:
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

@Brydlady, yeah relationships are complicated. Thank god you did not marry him if he wanted to fool around outside his wife. Now I have issues (obviouly why im on this forum). But commitment was not one them (cheating), and being cheated on hurts like hell. Sounds like a fluke coincidence. Crushes are hard to break. Now in action towards you while you could be seen as fear when you were younger. But married and wanting something more from you.... damn it you made your choice dude.
            "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

[MENTION=8356]Lavande[/MENTION], not sure where you are but its a love hate relationship with summer heat and winter snow. Where I am we hate summer, and then b^tch about winter.

Wave to all!
              Last edited by empyr3al; August 14, 2017, 08:49 PM.
              "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Morning Nesters,
                just signing on quickly before heading off to my first day back to work. I'm not quite ready for it, but I will be shortly. After that I'll head out to the lake with my daughter.. we're feeling that our days of summer are coming to an end, too. And ours hasn't been great so we have to take advantage of every nice last day.
                Empyr, we're a bit like you here, where we tend to bitch about the summer and complain about the winter!:happy2:

ok. I'll check in this evening again..
                Hope everyone has a good day!
                xx

Comment

Hope you have a smooth easy day LC!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Byrdie I like the pancake metaphor. I agree whole heartedly. My two cents on my struggle with alcohol revolve around the idea of choice. Many people repeat the mantra "I will not drink today" My problem with that phrase is that it implies a choice, kind of like I will exercise today. Its that mindset that also leaves open the door to drink. I will not drink is the same principle as I will drink, both are choices. For me at least, the more appropriate phrase is, " Today I can not drink" If I do I will not drink just one drink. If I do I may drive drunk. If I do I may hurt a love one. If I do I may lose my job. If I do I will do damage to my health. If I do I will break the trust of people most dear to me. All these things drive me to stay sober, so today I will not drink.
                    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Quick fly by. TJAF - that hit the nail on the head for me. I can't drink so I won't.

Byrdie - YES! That is it for me, too. I said for YEARS "I don't have an off switch. I have to find my off switch." Apparently I'm a design flaw, because I don't have one (except when it comes to exercise and housecleaning - those are fully operational off switches). I tell my husband that all the time. My strength comes in the grocery store in NOT buying cookies, because once they're here, no limits. At least you kept those other two pancakes aside... osteroops:

Lav - we noticed the earlier darkness last night, too. I really don't like short, dark days, so I'll cling to summer as long as I can. Sorry yours wasn't great.

Happy Tuesday.

Pav

Comment

My off-switch doesn't work for many "pleasurable" things, either. That is why I used to be able to consume vanilla wafers or Lorna Dunes to the point you describe reaching with waffles, [MENTION=11704]Byrdlady[/MENTION]. I don't miss doing that to myself anymore! And I certainly don't miss being drunk or feeling driven to exercise (and horribly guilty when I didn't). Thank goodness I never messed around with gambling or drugs other than alcohol!

There are various ideas about why some people are like this (e.g. low dopamine, inactive dopamine receptors, etc.), making them susceptible to "overdosing" on things that register in their brains as pleasurable. It makes sense evolutionarily that we actively pursue things that make us feel good, like food and sex, or the species wouldn't survive. But when that part of the brain is messed up (whether it be by nature, nurture, or both), we have to deliberately not turn the switch on for things we KNOW aren't in our best interests - and certainly are not contributing to our individual survivals!! And that choice has to be made and processes put in place to make it happen before those pleasure neurons are triggered because after that, all bets are off.

"Just say NO" clearly does not work as public policy to fight addiction but it does for each of us, once we know what causes us problems.

Comment

Something i learned in a rehab was that we horde. (it was alc) So excessive pancakes makes sense in the mind of an addict. We were warned about excessive chocolate or sugar. This was a little late to hear as I had tons of candy, like 50$ worth. Its a characteristic of many of us to over do one thing or another. Whether it is exercise, coffee, tea, sugar. Good for you on limiting though you did order. I may have missed the impact of your statement earlier.

Oh how I want a dutch syrup waffle.

Edit [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] trying naltrexone for the first number of day shuts that all down. Pleasure is lost for a couple days. It does come back but it is different. Dopamine hits hard on love and addiction. You know you are in love when dopamine hits. Wow what a hit. I am damaged pretty hard emotionally and addiction wise... addiction can leave in 3 days, always does and Im okay right now, stable. The emotional is hard which is why i mentioned some things on the thread. Codependency. Not sure if i discussed it here or on Theendofmyaddction.

Just say NO is clearly not working and was a regan administration agenda. That was the 80's... "This your brain on drugs" (egg in a pan). Well that is not true if you look at the american drug system. Nobody has figured it out yet, and why would they want too. I've done a ton of legit MDMA and nearly straight up cocaine (stepped to maybe 80).... but holy !@$@# what that does to you. 10 years later I can still type and spell where as some drugs will ruin that. So pick well.
                          Last edited by empyr3al; August 15, 2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Hi Nesters,
                            My off switch doesn't work either!

I'm just checking in for accountability.. I'm beat as beat can be and going to bed early. Hoping for a deep and restful sleep.
                            See you all in the morning.
                            xx

Comment

Hola Nesters,

Checking in. Someone mention pancakes?!

Comment

Hi Fellow Nesters,

I'm back again after relapsing on a recent holiday. You'd think I'd know by now that holidays are an easy excuse for me to drink as it's happened before. This time I felt justified, at the time, by friends on a 13 day road trip. I thought we were going to share the driving. They announced on Day 1 that they wanted to sit back and enjoy themselves and not do any driving! And enjoy some beverages. They had a nice holiday, I came back exhausted. And drinking daily.

Today is Day 30. I've done this before so until today, I haven't posted in Roll Call.

I've been lurking for a while now, so nice to see many familiar faces well into their quits and many, like me, who are starting over.

I read some recent comments that maybe the Nest isn't as relevant any more as it once was. For me, the Nest has been a great place to drop in and catch up with what Fellow Nesters are celebrating, dealing with and trying to fight the beast.

Hope to be here regularly and for a long time!

QW
                                AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                                F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Working...
                                X