• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
    Hola Nesters,

Checking in. Someone mention pancakes?!
    Byrdlady has an interesting post 2 pages back about pancakes.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

@Quit Winning, Its interesting what is being said about how you get to MWO. I did without a google search but was determined to find people like me. I can't recall the site that linked it but it was the embodiment of every way to quit, and showed choices. I am relatively new to the forum so the politics of it I don't understand. Its too bad we can't get the hits we need to help people but we are doing well. It takes some obscure searches to find this place.
      "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Empy, yes, I think you nailed it, my obsession with pleasurable things IS like hoarding! I never made that connection before. I couldnt enjoy the drink I had in hand for wanting and worrying about the NEXT one! When I first quit drinking, I started practicing mindfulness. Not officially, just in my own way. I tried to pay attention to the things I was doing and enjoying the moment as well as really tasting the food I was eating. I really should do more of that now.
        QW, Im so sorry that vacation derailed you. Im so happy to know you are at 30 days again, here is your hat! :guy: I dont know who might have said that the nest isnt relavant anymore, I think its always on point. We havent had a great deal of actual newbies lately either so perhaps that is a factor to that person's comment. Anyway, Im glad to see you, Ill go over and check out your roll call post. Welcome back!

TJAF! Always good to see you. I really like your line of thinking.
        Hope everyone has an easy night. Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

The Nest is always relevant. So much incredible info, support and milestoners.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters, old & new

I am absolutely sure I landed in the nest before any of you & I still feel it is relevant, comforting & bursting with helpful info. That's why you just can't get rid of me, ha ha!
            It took me a bit of time to fully appreciate the 'broken off switch' analogy too but once I did everything changed & the internal fight/struggle ended. No more hoping, wishing or trying to drink again for me, NOPE! Just like when I quit smoking I adopted the Not One Puff Ever credo & have stuck with it all these years.

QW, glad you are back on board with us. Sorry your roadtrip was so tough. Protecting our quits is vital, you surely know that now. Great job on your 30 AF days!!

LC, I hope your day turned out OK.

Empry, I am located on the east coast mid-Atlantic region where it's always too hot & humid in summer & too cold in winter. I am happier in cold weather, you will see

Hello TJ.
            G, I hope you are taking care.
            Hi to Byrdie, NS, Pav & everyone.

Have a safe night in the nest one & all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I have a puppy under my chair that stays with me always. Almost annoying when I try to clean. Maybe meant for the gratitude thread. It is interesting the bond that gets built. Makes me want to cry. She will not leave me unless I cage her so I can get things done.

Pav, nosug, guitarista, bryd, lavande, jc ... keep comming back. Speak your mind.

Comment

Morning Nesters!
                I feel better after a mostly restful sleep. I've been battling mosquitoes at night.. there seems to be at least one in every room so no matter where I go they are there! Now I've got a method of using lavender oil (which they hate), ear plugs and covering up with a sheet. Last night I sort of heard them, but it wasn't as bad. That's my one and only complaint about summer!:happy2:
                I love this Nest and all the people who come by each day to work on themselves and support eachother. If I use it like I know it works for me, the most important thing is that I post something each and every day at least once.. even if I feel like I'm talking to myself, it helps to write it out. And it is sharing because I know that someone is around. When I write in a journal I don't feel connected and here I do. I appreciate each and every post here, whether it has directly to do with sobriety and recovery or whether it's a comment about the weather.. This community helps me a lot. I know the final missing piece of "my way out" lies within myself and I'm figuring that out here.. you're all allowing me to do that and I'm very grateful for that. That this site exists.

We have an "intern" coming into our kitchen for 3 weeks and I'm a bit nervous because I know she's expecting a lot. We agreed to do it and theoretically it's a great project.. but a lot of extra work. My job is evolving and there is a lot potential in the sense that we are, more or less, allowed to pave the path. And I guess I'm a bit panicked because I had planned on being more prepared, on having my mind more clear. It's my goal.

ok. Off I go.
                Hope everyone has a good Wednesday..
                see you later,
                xx

Comment

LifeChange, you bring up two very important points (IMO).
                  #1 Conversation begets conversation. If we all just came in an read everyday, there wouldn't be anything TO read and the thread would fade off into the sunset. I know that I get excited when I see lots of posts to read, it sparks more conversation and you just never know what might help get you thru that day.
                  #2 Writing it out gives ME a record of where I was at any given time. THIS is my journal about my AL journey. When I'm having a tough day, all I have to do is go back a few thousand pages and I can see how far I've progressed. Having a written account on a daily basis is priceless to me.
                  #3 (yes, writing this out sparked another compelling reason) Getting sober isn't a spectator sport. Participating and asking questions and sharing ideas is what this site is all about. If we see someone about to walk into a propeller, we SAY something! Learning to give AND receive information here is a skill that is learned thru DOING.

Happy Hump Day, all, hope everyone has an easy day. Byrdie
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

I don't remember anybody saying the nest wasn't relevant anymore, I know Pav and I commented that mwo was a bit slow but I still think its because it doesn't show up in a search,I have seen it show up in other articles though in searches for kudzu,baclofen,etc,Byrdie, have you recovered from your pancake coma? That made me laugh cuz I can usually only eat one but give me pizza and it's game on!QW,great to see you back and congrats on a now 31 days LC,glad you're checking in, even a brief check in is better than a no check in,hoping everyone has a great AF Day
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

[MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] we changed how we deal with mosquitoes locally years ago as a quite large region. Stable or non moving bodies of water breed mosquitoes. So we do something (unsure what) with our storm drains and stagnant water. The mosquito population is negligible and I have had not one bite this year so far as my body reacts strongly to them, in the ordinance of 1-2 cm swell per bites. We are treating still water constantly. Now fruit flies which are harmless are everywhere but that's because we live in fruit country. It could be that the amount of rainfall (which is insane) is moving the stagnant water so none can breed. Of course I have not ventured out much to find out in forests which I did while using my mountain bike over the last number of years. I should go out on it today.
                      [MENTION=6149]Paul[/MENTION]lywogg its very relevant, the comment a couple .... shoot guess 40 pages back was about whether MWO is dying. The interesting thing to see is the number of users vs guests. Content is what matters.

Comment

Thought I would drop this here. YouTube Woke up with this in my head, yeah I wake up with music in my head, sometimes or often (no its not a radio or alarm, its conscious). Its better than waking up to shock memories of love.
                        Last edited by empyr3al; August 16, 2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Good moring!

Like Pauly said, I was merely commenting on the slowness of new posters on the site. I still get a lot from coming here, and participating in a sober community. It helps me a lot.

I have to run to work early this morning.

Happy SOBER Hump Day.

Pav

PS - I'm pizza over pancakes, too, Pauly. Although once my sister made my favorite cookies for my birthday and I ate 8. :egad:

Comment

QW, Belated Congratulations on 30 days! Well done..:happy2:

Comment

Hola Nesters,

Yes, Happy 31 days Q dubbya! Great to see you back and kicking goals. On the sober train here too.

It's 5:30 a.m. thursday morning here, and i have lower abdominal surgery (nothing serious) in a couple of hours. So it's off to hospital soon. General anaesthetic which i've never had. Sheesh! i'm a bit nervous, but they do these ops every day and success rate is very good they tell me! I've also got a gig with my band sunday night. Not sure how i'll be for that. Involves overnight hospital stay tonight, but see how it all goes post op. Something to keep me distracted i suppose.

Take it easy out there. Big waves to all.
                              Last edited by Guitarista; August 17, 2017, 05:03 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

We will all ne wishing you a speedy recovery, Mr G. Yikes, I hope you will be ready for your gig on Sunday, take it easy and listen to the docs! Keep us posted as best you can. Gentle hugs! B
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X