Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Yes you are what you eat. Sure we may be recovering Alco's but am finding a great mood boost from eating good shit after all the crap we put our bodies through. The bread I buy "Helga's " is a $1 more expensive than normal bread and is on special at times which I stock up on and use for my lunch. Multigrain with pumpkin seed, my fav. Rather than be tight, I see the money I save on beer can be put towards quality food. I still got 2 large pizzas which I plan to use for late night snacks, but glad I didn't have it for lunch

No solar eclipse here unfortunately. One guy in US purposely build his house and planned for years for these 2 mins of eclipse.

Eat well nesters . Eggs are good too lol
    Last edited by Neo; August 21, 2017, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Evening nesters

Back to work today and i swear it will take me a month to get back up to anywhere near up to date. I wont let work beat me! I did have a nice break trying to do absolutely nothing except enjoy my fur babies and see the man. Managed to play some golf (very badly), went to an art gallery, had a lovely lunch with the man, enjoyed a lovely walk while the sun was shining (rare at the moment) and a massage. I didnt realise how knotted up i was until the girl started.

Wags, it is so hard to watch someone die. I remember when Robert was dying all his partner said was to "fight it and he will get better", well he did for awhile until he knew he was beat and then he just enjoyed the time he had left. It is always harder on the ones they leave behind but what you are doing is what she needs. To me, it was heartbreaking but every day that i saw him, i put that smile on my face and tried to make his life happy and be there for him as a friend and someone who would listen. I still miss him but i still can smile at what a beautiful man he was and he fought because he wanted to not because he was pushed. Sending you hugs.

Pav, i hope your sleep gets better, i had that the past 3 weeks but this last week has gotten me back on track, wont last as i am worrying about work already. I remember when i thought i used to sleep when i drank so what i do get now is way better than what i used to call sleep or unconsciousness!

Hyper, i hope you are doing okay. Try not to stress yourself out with your drinking, the more you stress then the more you will want those beers. No one is harder on you than yourself but its just getting that day 1 to start that is the hardest. I remember when NS suggested a quit date, i thought of every excuse i could to make that date as far away as possible and told her the 1st of December. FFS what was i thinking, the partiest month of the year and i picked the 1st. I did know i could not let NS down as she had been such a patient support for me. I would have prefered January but then it would have turned to February and every other damn month, there is no good time or date for us alkies so pick a date and run with it. You can do this again.

Well now im off to finish my beanie, think i was finishing that last post. All good things come to those who wait.

Take care x
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi everyone,
        I'm back after enjoying a long time in sobriety with a couple of relapses. I am hoping to be on the right path again though.
        Nice to see familiar 'faces' here, as well as new ones.
        Thanks so much NoSugar for your help getting me back :yay:
        LS

Comment

You don't have to HOPE, LS! HOP on this beautiful path with us and STAY ON - you'll never regret it :hug:.
          Last edited by NoSugar; August 21, 2017, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Amen, NS. Im so glad I put in the work to get sober. We are here and the Biltmore House in Asheville and of course there is a winery. There is wine everywhere.....BUT there is also a dairy so there is ice cream. Ive been focused on that. Hubs had a glass at an afternoon reception the hotel had ....I had a moon pie. I saw people getting refill after refill. That would have been me..... glad it wasnt. AL counts on vacation too.
            Our eclipse-watching was disappointing. We were supposed to have 98% coverage but just as it got underway the clouds rolled in and we couldnt see much. It got dusky, but not dark. Shoot. Im glad we didnt drive across the US to see this!
            It has been a great day.
            Good so see you LS! Neo, keep up the good work. Hugs to all, B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hola Nesters!

Great to see you LS! Have been wondering how you are. Now kick some arse! Good onya NS for staying in touch.

gr8 post Ava, hope work ain't too crazy. Neo, yep, what we eat affects our mood, energy levels and more! Good job.

Rawkin and a rollin along very well here. In fact, i feel electric! No, i'm not high on painkillers! haha. Have a magical, safe sober week out there y'all.
              Last edited by Guitarista; August 21, 2017, 06:29 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi LS,we've missed you!
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

LS, good to see you back in the nest with us! Stay close, we protect one another

Ava, it can be depressing going back to work after some time off, I remember. Keep on knitting those beanies, keep yourself distracted, lol

Byrdie, I thought the eclipse was non-spectacular too, oh well. Enjoy your ice cream & moon pies

G, glad you are healing well! So, you turned out to be a pretty good patient after all, ha ha!!!

Preparing for a super hot & humid day tomorrow then some nicer weather is supposed to arrive. I sure hope so.
                  Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest.

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post

G, glad you are healing well! So, you turned out to be a pretty good patient after all, ha ha!!!
                    Yeah Lav, not too grumpy here. in fact after the OP as i was about to be transferred from recovery room to the ward, my nurse introduced me to the trolley pushing nurses as....'this is the lovely G'. Now how could i complain after that? She even called me 'young man', though i did note she called a 70 year old that too......:applause:

off to find some moon pies.
                    Last edited by Guitarista; August 22, 2017, 04:00 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

LS, Time to get off the Hopium and take some action rather than awaiting the right day. I didn't really intend to quit smokes at all this week and was furthest from my mind when at Lunch when I let half a day slide. Now it's over 24hrs and I know ill be struggling with tiredness over the next month or so, I do feel better and glad I took the action today to stay off

Comment

Hi, All:

Quick fly by this morning.

Welcome back, LostSoul. Glad NS found you, and I'm glad you're back. Stick close, and let's help each other...

Byrdie, our eclipse was totally covered in clouds - socked in as it were. I watched it on TV - looked amazing...

Have a great Tuesday,
                        Pav

Comment

Hello nesters,

Wags, I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. I'm sure she is comforted just knowing she can be herself around you. Sometimes I think a sense of humor, a good laugh, or a great memory is helpful to those that are ailing as well as the family that supports them. It's nice to take their minds off the fight every once in a while. I have a friend who is fighting cancer right now. Currently she is not doing so well, immune system is suppressed and she's back in the hospital. Sometimes when I talk or text her, I take a risk and try to be funny. I'm not sure if my timing is right or its appropriate or if it only helps me, but I'm trying to be a little light because I know most of her time is spent fighting and worrying about her family. Plus our friendship has always been a kind of sarcastic reality. I'm rambling here, maybe it's only comforting me, idk. Cancer SUCKS.

Glad to see you Lost Soul😊. Welcome back.

Lately, I've been feeling a little insecure and sensitive. There's been a few times I have felt like I have not been "heard" or I'm invisible. I feel like a school girl being left out. I wasn't invited to celebrate a birthday of a friend. It was a group of women that I really like. Another incident was when I was listening to a friend go on and on about a story I already heard AND gave what I thought was grrreat advise and yet she talked about what advise others had given her and how they were so helpful and blah, blah, blah and I'm thinking are fking kidding me, I told you that months ago!! I even tried to insert it into the one sided conversation, like "oh yeah, remember when I told you ....." to no avail or credit. Ha, just writing this out makes me feel better and realize how sort of silly I'm being.

Over the weekend, we had some friends in town. Our past has always been submerged in alcohol morning, noon and night. There were countless times I didn't remember going to bed when we were hanging ot with them. I was a little stressed to visit with them but they know that I haven't been drinking and we're totally respectful. It was great to see them but also a little sad
                          because we've lost that connection . Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the drinking but I know we won't make as much of an effort to see each other. It's that bittersweet feeling.

Well enough about me, happy sober Tuesday everyone!

Roobs.

Comment

Lav, Roobs & Ava - thanks for your support and compassion about how I'm trying to be there for my cousin. It's hard. She's started thinking about "what the end will look/feel like" and "who she wants to have there with her" - the toughest question being whether or not to have her kids there (they are approx 17 and 21). Sigh... Part of me wants to kick into problem solving mode, but in reality, she mostly needs someone to listen and to empathize.

Byrdie - We were in about 99% coverage for the eclipse. It was pretty cool here, but we were lucky to have cloudless skies. The light got very dusky and eerie, the birds went silent, and the air temp dropped several degrees. I kind of wish we'd driven an hour or so south where they experienced totality, but the traffic and crowd warnings made it sound like it'd be horrible, and I really didn't want to sit in that for hours on end. Here, we were able to ride a bike path to a beautiful place along the Columbia River, so it was a pretty positive experience all the way around. Friends who were farther south got some cool pics and videos, and I feel like I got what I needed between my experience and their pics.

LS - glad you're back! Tuck in tight. As others have said, replace "hope" with "do" and you'll be on your way again. This is a great place to do that as you already know.
                            Last edited by wagmor; August 22, 2017, 09:22 PM.
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

morning nesters

Well starting early at work this week just to try and get up to date, doesnt seem to be working well but im sure i am making steps forward. I did manage a lovely walk around a park near my work yesterday so that was lovely and relieves the stress levels a wee bit.

Roobs, i found the 2nd year of sobriety was becoming emotionally stable for a better word. I focused so hard the first year on just not drinking that when i had finally got through that year then i kind of relaxed and then the emotional roller coaster started. I grew up for a better word i think emotionally. I live for me now and if people dont want to be around me then thats fine, i find some just dont know how to handle me sober and some i have grown away from and thats okay. I like my own company now and worked too hard to worry about others and what they think though my tolerance level for idiots is very low. Oops. Keep on being sarcastic/funny with your friend Roobs, thats how you are together, cancer doesnt change that. Others may think it wrong but f**k them. Id walk in to see Robert and say "god you look awful" and he would laugh as others had said how great he looked.

Wags, i had the same conversations many times with Robert about who he wanted there etc and i feel he just wanted to talk and i just needed to listen. He wanted me there and it as noted by a social worker that he wanted me there to pray. Well i am not a religious person at all and we had a great laugh about that one but at the end i wasnt there and that was okay, i was there every day for the 8 months he was in hospital. Sadly other people take over and there is not much that can be done but be there. We can only be there and a constant for them.

Well time to get ready for work, a balmy 6 degrees celcius so its warming up a bit.

welcome LS and keep on being here, life is so much better and easier sober for sure.

Take care x
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Checking in from our last night of vacation!
                                Iv never seen so many ice cream stores! It has been a wonderful getaway.
                                Hope everyone has a peaceful evening. Byrdie.
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X