Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

One last thing..(I'm making up for lost time!) a quote from JK Rowling I saw yesterday.."Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life".. Whoever we are and Whatever our "rock bottom" is, it is possible to begin to build anew on top of it.. slowly and surely and strongly. At least that's what I'm choosing to believe and working on doing.!
    Last edited by lifechange; August 25, 2017, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Evening nesters

Friday here and i'm feeling the "why me's" tonight. Had a mammogram the other week and it was abnormal so have to go back for a 3 hour bout of testing on Monday. FFS, i thought, i really dont need this but thats life. Im sure i will be fine but my anxiety is as high as mt everest. My darling daughter will come with me on Monday, as she said its what she wants to do. On a positive i get a day off work!

Mads is doing really well, i keep thinking the vets got it wrong, or wishing. I have her on her pain meds and she has been on cannabis oil for about a month now. dont know if it is working but its not doing her any harm. She has her days of not feeling well but overall is still my beautiful girl. Taking it day by day.

Welcome Moonking. Great advice from the nest but at the end of the day if you stop drinking the mind games and bargaining will stop too. I was more of a weekend binge drinker when i fell pregnant so not drinking was not that hard, mind you i did smoke a lot of dope beforehand but my daughter turned out fine. 100% of why i stopped drinking was because of my children and myself and i wish i had of stopped all together 30 years ago.

Hope you are feeling better LC, feeling sick is the pits. god i remember being sick was a great excuse to drink and not have to go anywhere. Oh those were the days i dont want to go back to. I never ever thought i could be like the long long termers here LC, never thought i had it in me, thought they did it easy compared to what i had to go through but they went through he same shite and made it to the other side. That kept me going in the first year and that they apparently kept saying sobriety was the best thing they had ever done AND yes it has been the best thing i have ever done also. Whatever "normal" is, that is how i feel and i will never drink again, i cant, end of story. Its a nice feeling to have now, feeling confident and secure in that knowledge.

Well i am going to hibernate this weekend, maybe some spring cleaning. My son is going away so some quality ME time is in order.

Take care. x
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Longing for the quality ME time, Ava. Sorry about your abnormal mammo. I have SO many friends who have had those and it was nothing. I'll be thinking about you on Monday. I'm glad your daughter can be there for you.

Rock on, LC.

No ticket to Boozeville here.

Pav

Comment

So sorry to hear you've been sick, [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION], but really happy for you that it wasn't self-induced! On the rare occasion I feel lightheaded or nauseous now, I'm so amazed and disgusted that I regularly made myself feel that way! What a way to waste a life.

My medical care providers probably GAVE me cancer, [MENTION=16186]available[/MENTION], when they gave me a zillion mammograms over the course of a year trying to figure out what they ultimately decided were calcium deposits. I know that screening is important but sometimes we maybe take it too far. Worry only if you know there's something to worry about, ok? (And even if it comes to that, try to let those thoughts go because they never fix anything anyway :hug

Welcome, [MENTION=23999]moonking[/MENTION]! This is anecdotal but over the years I've been here, I've seen several posts from women who had your concerns and who came back to report delivering healthy babies. The key thing is -- they all stopped drinking completely once they realized they were pregnant.

Please let us know how you are doing [MENTION=19317]LostSoul33[/MENTION]! We all know it is hard to get going again. But the thing is, by the time we've joined a "stop drinking" forum, the days of carefree, no-guilt drinking are gone so there's no point in delaying the inevitable jump back on the wagon. It might not seem like it right now, but it offers a great ride! xx, NS

Comment

Hi again!

NS, that's exactly how I felt.. I can't believe I voluntarily put myself in that state over and over again. I'm feeling happy and relieved that I don't ever have to do that again.
            Ava, I will be thinking of you on Monday.. I'm glad your daughter will be accompanying you. :hug:

I spent a lot of time today reading recovery blogs.. there are some good ones out there.
            here's a link that describes 25.. ..Top 25 Recovery Bloggers - This Naked Mind
            and I liked one called "I am not anonymous".. I Am Not Anonymous

I wish there were other recovery-help options here.. but I've only been able to find AA. It would be cool to live in a place where there was a large community promoting and supporting sobriety/recovery. Taking the shame out of the equation is such a huge part of helping people to be honest and get well. I've told my best friends and family but I'm not sure I can/want to tell people at work. Though I think I've decided to tell my closest colleague.. at least then I'd have one person on my side/not offering me drinks at work functions. I don't think she'd be surprised.

Anyway, I'm off to bed soon and looking forward to an Un-hung and healthy weekend.
            xx
            Last edited by lifechange; August 25, 2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Happy Friday, all!
              Busy day today, catching up from vacation makes me wonder why I took it!
              Ava, thinking of you and I just know everything will be ok. Hugs dear lady
              LC, good to see you back and feeling better.
              Wags, wishing you strength with your cousin.
              Hope everyone has a peaceful evening, stay safe if you are in the path of the storm. Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Being east coast residents Byrdie & I are no where near the hurricane. If anyone is, please evacuate & take care!

LC, sorry you were sick, that sucks. Viral illnesses come on quickly & usually run their course in a few days, thank goodness.
                Not drinking & otherwise looking after yourself ensures a quick recovery.

Ava, I feel for you!
                I have been called back at least 2 or 3 times over the years for 'abnormal' findings. They all turned out to be errors caused by the technician & absolutely nothing to do with me. I hope that's what is going on with you as well. Try not to get yourself into worry mode, OK?

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all.
                I am watching my son's two large dogs again this weekend, groan, ha ha!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning Nesters!

A beautiful Saturday morning here.. and my only plan for the day is to get back into the gym to do something light.
                  Glad to be fully back up on my feet.. you're right, Lav, it came out of nowhere (though it's going around at work) and took me down.

I hope everyone has a safe and relaxing weekend..
                  xx

Comment

Very quiet here today! I guess a lot of you are just getting into Saturday..
                    I had a nice day.. didn't make it to the gym but I did go for a run and exercised at home. Tomorrow..
                    I invited Andre to eat dinner with me tonight and made a simple pasta with summer ratatouille.. yummy.
                    Otherwise, I just read, talked on the phone with a couple of friends and my parents and watched a movie.
                    What is everyone else up to today? Is everyone safe from the Hurricane? Very scary..

ok. Hugs all around!

Comment

It has been quiet today, LC! It has been a beautiful day here, we did a little shopping. Came home and walked the dog and then gave her a bath. It has been a lazy, relaxing day. NOTHING like the obscesive days of old when all I could think about was my next drink.
                      If you are struggling today, put your mind into one mode: I CAN. We are not victims. We really ARE in control as long as we dont take that first drink. Hang tough, everyone! Byrdie
                      Last edited by Byrdlady; August 27, 2017, 09:35 AM.
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Checking in on a beautiful winters sunday morning over here. Thinking of you Ava.

Brushed aside the complimentary ticket to boozeville for ONE pedlars on the corner near my joint. Oh no. It's a brilliant sober day ahead for me. I CAN.

L8tr g8trs

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Evening greetings Nesters

Lovely day in Lav-land nothing like the folks in Texas are dealing with for sure. My thoughts & prayers are with them.
                          Matt, how about you? Are you anywhere near all that devastation?

LC, glad you are feeling better.
                          Inviting Andre to dinner was a nice gesture, good for you!

Hi there Byrdie & G! Hello to everyone popping in later.
                          Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy weekend everyone!

LC - I'm so glad you're feeling better.
                            Byrdie - sounds like a lovely relaxing day!
                            G-man - great job turning down the free ticket

Pretty good day here in Wag-land. I started my day with some work - a client I agreed to work with even though her needs were a bit more of a stretch for me than I'd normally take on. Anyway, I've been a bit apprehensive abut this morning's first session for about 3 weeks (since I agreed to work with her). But it went extremely well and she's thrilled so far! Now back when I was drinking, I probably would've said yes to this gig while under the delusions of al that told me I could do whatever I wanted, but I would have had to cancel and back out of the commitment. I'm so ecstatic that I both stretched outside my comfort zone AND followed through to deliver good service. This is one of the most positive aspects of quitting - we get to experience our best selves.

:yay:

Hope everyone has a fantastic MAE
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning Nesters!

Congratulations, Wags! That's such an accomplishment and something I'm soooo looking forward to. I did that all the time, exactly as you described, taking on projects I theoretically knew I could do and wanted to do but wasn't able to because of drinking.. I've been and given less of myself and what I'm capable of for so long.. and now instead of being sad about it/looking at opportunities lost, I'm concentrating on now and on where I'm headed. I'm very happy for you and proud of you!:happy2:

Byrdie and Lav, I am relaxing again today and it's so nice. It's amazing that with a change of mind set, the days that I couldn't deal with, that used to seem like they'd drag on forever, leading me to drink to "deal" with boredom/restlessness/anxiety.. now the 16 hours of waking time I have could be even a few more!
                              I know I'm very fortunate to be in good health and not to have any major stresses at the moment.. all the more reason for me to use the time wisely to strengthen my base and work on my tools.
                              I've been reading and writing a lot which helps.. as does exercise and eating well and getting out of the house to meet up with girlfriends and go for walks.
                              Today I'm meeting a friend for a matinee to see "Hamstead" with Dianne Keaton.. I always like her and I'm looking forward.

I like and admire Maya Angelou very much and just watched many short youtube videos.. "Rainbow in the Clouds".. YouTube
                              xx
                              Last edited by lifechange; August 27, 2017, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Hopefullly this link to the book 'This naked mind' works. It is for sale but the author also gives away a free copy.

Edit: this is a 39 page sample not entire book. See No sugars link in below post for full book.

Last edited by Guitarista; August 28, 2017, 12:39 AM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X