Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Just checking in.

Can see what my GP meant when he said about getting to the root of the problem.

I have the Antabuse pills sitting here but haven't taken them yet. I had beers Thursday, Friday and today. So I don't want to take them and risk getting ill. Tomorrow I won't be drinking whatsoever and I'll take my first dose Monday. Then it's real. Dealing with the reality of no drinking; my social anxiety and thought processes, my social circles etc.

Deep down, I'm excited.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

It was a total rain day here but that's OK. Gave me a chance to catch up with some house cleaning chores & stuff - oh boy, ha ha!

Londoner, glad to hear you have a plan 7 are excited to get started. Let us know how you are doing along the way.

Hello to ssd & Roobs!
      Where is everyone else today?

Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Quick pop-in to say thanks, all. The support here is wonderful. Sending strength out to eveyone.

Comment

Hi, All:

Moon - try some mindfulness or focusing on the present. There is no use having anxiety because it is not going to change the facts of what happened. Focus on the present - take care of your pregnant self NOW, and your future mom self. I know that is easier said than done, but I would recommend finding a mindful app or something to calm that monkey brain!

We're either going in search of air conditioning or a cool beach today. I really like the three day weekend - two days to have fun and a third to get all of my stuff done. Pretty great.

Happy SOBER Sunday.

Pav

Comment

Hi Londoner-

I'm no expert, but I can tell you that drinking with Antabuse in your system is a very bad idea.

For me it was a good way to stop thinking about drinking, since when the idea comes up you just know that you cannot.
            I got used to it after a while. After some sober time the mind becomes more clear and the alcohol damage to your life seems
            so preventable.

I wish you all the best and everyone here knows it's hard.

Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Struggles 106 View Post
              Hi Londoner-

I'm no expert, but I can tell you that drinking with Antabuse in your system is a very bad idea.

For me it was a good way to stop thinking about drinking, since when the idea comes up you just know that you cannot.
              I got used to it after a while. After some sober time the mind becomes more clear and the alcohol damage to your life seems
              so preventable.

I wish you all the best and everyone here knows it's hard.

Ann
              I haven't taken the pills - yet.

It's like I'm going through my "Last Supper".

The only concern I have is how long since my last drink can I take my first dosage of Antabuse.

Once it's in me, the journey begins to sobriety

Comment

Londoner,
                As you know, no medication in the world can perform its job when its still in the bottle. Funny that statement, it includes AL.

I dont remember my last drink, I had plans of having one last hoorah but it didnt work out that way. Before that, I kept promising myself 'THIS IS IT' but if cousre, we all know how that goes. If we are here for advice and support, may I offer this: LET IT GO. The sooner you start, the sooner you can get on with life. One more day is not going to help, one more drink will do nothing but make us want another one.

If you look at the folks who have some substatial time behind them, we all say one thing....I wish I had done it sooner. Just do it. You will never regret it. Get rid of all the AL in the house, commit to quitting and we will see you on Day 1 tomorrow! We are pullimg for you! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Yep Byrdie, there's no time like the present!
                  It took me a few weeks to completely go AF once I found this website, I was scared. Now I know there was absolutely nothing to be scared of but that's hindsight.
                  I was afraid of taking the leap into the 'unknown'. I had zero idea of what it would be like to be an AF adult!!!! I couldn't even imagine, honestly. The only people I have ever know to be completely AF were much older folks like my grandmother. I never saw her take a drop of AL or light up a cig. Every other person in my life was/is a drinker and/or smoker. How exactly was I going to behave & fit in?
                  Turns out all that worry & concern was a complete waste of energy. I am just fine the way I am now. I am living the way I choose to live & no one has ever given me any grief about my choice

Londoner, you decide when to begin. Be ready with a firm commitment to making your life better without AL. You will be just fine!

We had a nice day today after all that rain yesterday. My chickens have been out having fun doing what chickens do - hunting, scratching & pecking, haha! They have a pretty good life here & I appreciate the fresh eggs.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hello, Nesters. I ended up spending my vacation in a hospital with my mom instead. While I was glad to not be saddled by addiction on a vacation, it is an even bigger deal when you don't leave a hospital for 5 days. Can you imagine what that would be like? There was absolutely no way to acquire alcohol, much less secretly consume it. Having to give up control of your life at any time is always a possibility (think of the people in Houston!) and one to be ready for. I came out of those 5 days knowing I'd done the right thing, made the best decisions possible, was fine living on nuts, apples, cheese, and coffee, and was never distracted or miserable because of cravings. I couldn't be more grateful.
                    Take care of yourselves, NS

Comment

Hi, Nest:

I'm sorry, NS. I hope your mom is ok. I probably would have found a way to have a drink under the "this is so stressful I need a drink" category of excuses. So glad you could be there for her, and I'm sorry you spent your vacation in the hospital.

I am in a FUNKY mood. That happens from time to time. It never occurred to me that I want a drink to try to get out of it, though. I can look at the mood from a distance almost and do some calculations on what caused it and/or what I can do to remedy the situation. 9 hours of sleep last night was a start, some exercise and healthy food today, and maybe another 9 hours tonight! Quite the opposite of a stiff drink, really.

Hope all is well in nest land. Happy Labor Day to those of you on this side of the pond.

Pav

Comment

Hope your mom is ok NS Pav,hope the funks pass soon,I hate that feeling but I guess its normal, just irritating
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

NS, I hope your mom is recovering nicely. Spending time waiting in a hospital is stressful and long. Im so glad you were fully present for your mom and family. Instead of another liability, you were an asset and someone to whom others could turn for support and direction. I was grateful for many things in the two hospital stints Ive pulled in the last 6 years, my sobriety was at the top of the list.

Hope everyone is having a restful Labor Day! Back to the salt mines tomorrow! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Had an extremely quiet Labor day here but that's OK.

NS, sorry to hear about your Mom's hospitalization. I hope everything is OK now. Having you fully present for her was a blessing :hug:

Pav, I have decided funky moods are pretty common every time we change seasons - at least they are for me. I have also decided that we don't need to actually do anything but wait them out. Things & moods seem to just sort themselves out, who knew?

Hi there Pauly & Byrdie!
                            Where has G been lately, anyone know?

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hello everyone. Back again to day 1 and hope to make an AF life a reality again. I don't want to get too much into the nuts and bolts but will just say unrelenting stress got me this time. Always something in life, I know. This having a parent w/dementia is rough to say the least. The mild stroke she suffered a couple mos. back turned it up to the point where she could no longer hide it. In hindsight now I can see that this has been going on for a couple/few years and she was masterful at hiding it. I don't know why I didn't see it. The stress of having to take care of so many things at once for someone else is overwhelming. It is getting more manageable by the day. I know I made a bad choice in choosing alcohol to deal with stress. I know alcohol is the enemy. Exercise is the only thing I know of to relieve stress. I do not have much confidence in my ability right now to be AF but am going to go at it one day at a time. As I sit here I can feel the stress bubbling out from deep inside me. Tonight I will not drink. I am thankful for MWO and all the good people here. ~hyper

Comment

Glad you're here Hypernova
                                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X