Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

As long as it’s all about me, here is the topper that will go on the cake.
    3BF76CD5-8A58-4CCA-A5E2-DA102286B528.jpg
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Happy Saturday!

I, too, worked on my day off, Byrdie. Disease to please for sure. My job is WAY too big to do in the given time, but I just do it beyond the given time for now. Need to find some work/life balance, I guess. I do like my job, though...

Sorry about your mom, MaryLou. That must be awful for her.

Onya, G. I hope you ran (or shuffled) a successful course. I want to be able to run, but I have a knee that doesn't want me to. I stick with walks and hikes. I certainly can't imagine running for a half marathon!

Kensho - you got this. Eyes on the prize and all that.

I had to go to the mall today to buy a relative a birthday present - crikey it is already crowded and overrun with Christmas stuff. I'm not ready for this...

Off to another family birthday - I already am looking forward to bed tonight.

Pav

Comment

Good morning Nesters,

Yes, it is cold, Brrr! Only 18F this morning so everything froze solid!!!!

LC, I always do a head count when I close up the chicken house for the night & tonight I noticed one was missing. I have no idea where she is & it's so cold out
        I have lost a few chickens over the years to aerial predators (hawks & owls) but you always find signs of a struggle like feathers laying around or something. This is a mystery, I hope she's OK wherever she is.
        I bought the donut pan specifically so I could bake healthier donuts, can't eat those fried things anymore. I also bake without dairy by using substitutes so I can take almost any recipe & make it dairy free. I've always liked a challenge, ha ha!
        PS: I was up way too early today as well.

Marylou, glad you have things under control for your Mom, you're a good daughter. You definitely wouldn't like the weather we're having right now!

Byrdie beautiful cake, nice job :welldone:
        I'm sure your niece will love her cake!

G, hope the run went well for you!

Pav, give yourself some time off, OK?

Kensho, I hope today was a good one.

Hello to the rest of the crowd & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey, Nest
          Recent allegations in the news have been so dispiriting. It is hard to accept how horribly so many people have been treated. It makes me appreciate more than ever the respect and loving kindness shown here. Thank you. Love, NS

Comment

Hi Nesters,
            I agree, NS.. the Nest is a wonderful, supportive place to be and I'm very grateful/happy to be a part of it.

G-man, I'm the same.. I feel like pushing that extra bit, through the discomfort, when I'm running does wonders for my mind. I'm just starting out again and loving it.. I'll be looking forward to hearing how it was for you today.. 10k is definitely my limit.

Marylou, I'm also so sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm so glad you can be there to help her..:hug:

Byrdie, beautiful wedding cake! and I bet it's delicious, too. Here's to never giving up!

Lav, I'm sorry about the missing chicken.. I sure hope she finds her way home. Vegan donuts are a big thing here now and I guess there's a bakery that makes amazing ones.. I'll have to try some out this winter.

I had a nice surprise at 545 this morning.. I opened my balcony door to let in some fresh air, and when I do that the chimes I have hanging make their music, which now always makes me think of André because for 3 months that was the signal that he could come up.. so today went I went out I heard a, "Good morning" and laughter, and he was sitting across the street at the park.. I called him up for tea and it was so nice to spend time with him again. The last time I saw him, my friend and I had taken a bunch of stuff he had stored here to his new place (room in a group home).. it was on his birthday and he'd been drinking.. then hadn't come by a couple of days later to fetch his bike as he'd planned. Today he seemed good and has made a few more steps forward, doing what he needs to do to get a place of his own.. and possibly work, though of that I'm doubtful. But we can never know when things might change with someone. When they've (we've) had ENOUGH, when they (we) decide to do the work to have a new life. The place he's living in is torture as far as the people living there goes. Sounds like a crazy bunch of neo-nazi types, quite out of control, and he completely keeps to himself.. today he said that if he'd known ahead of time the situation he was getting himself into, he would have definitely tried much harder to get the help he needed. Now it seems at times hopeless.. but he still has hope.

ok. I'm off to make a bit of lunch. I'm trying right now to lose a bit of the weight I've gained this past year which has been a real PIA. Yesterday I read some tips, which are essentially good for anything in life.. but of course, sobriety popped into my head first..here are two that are especially relevant for me.. 1. Embrace and enjoy the process instead of focussing on the goal. 2. using the word "don't" instead of "can't" or "no".. I don't drink.. no thanks, I don't drink.. no room for movement there, as it's a FACT!
            Wishing everyone a nice and relaxing Sunday.
            xx
            ps i have a snoring kitty next to me.. how cute is that?
            Last edited by lifechange; November 12, 2017, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Lc, thanks for the update on Andre, I've been wondering. And thanks for the kindness you show to everyone, here and elsewhere. It is touching.
              And thanks to everyone else here for their daily kindness to us all.
              Carry on.

Comment

Mr.V posted exactly what i was getting ready to post LC! I was just wondering about Andre and how he was doing yesterday,glad to hear he's doing better at least,have a great AF day all
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Happy Sunday...

Lav - a sad and weird story about your chicken. It DOES seem impossible... Sorry.

LC - thanks for the update on Andre. I agree - your kindness shines through in his story. I like the idea of I don't vs. I can't. What a difference a word makes.

On my way to do some errands and get a hike in. Grateful to be drinking my coffee on an un-hung Sunday morning.

I concur with NS - glad to come where you all are kind.

xo
                  Pav

Comment

Hi nesters,

Byrdie, your cakes are beautiful works of art!

Gman, good luck on your run. I use to run or jog which turned into a shuffle or slog. I incorporate short amounts of running in my workouts but too much is just hard on my joints. Or at least that's what I tell myself. I admire your focus. I bet you have a few good playlists to motivate you.

LC, I agree your kindness is refreshing and admirable especially at a time when I feel like we wake up under a dark cloud everyday. I like to get up early to have a cup of coffee,read emails,news etc... but lately I realize it sometimes sets a negative tone to my day. Maybe I should switch up my routine, try a little meditation instead. Hmm?

Lav, I hope your chicken comes home.

Good to see everyone checking in. Happy sober Sunday.
                    Roobs

Comment

Good Sunday, all.
                      LC, Thank you for the upday on Andre. I just hate AL. It isnt happy until it takes it all. AL is so easy to get, this harmful substance is available at the drugstore, for Pete’s Sake! When it comes to AL, I definatley wish I had a do-over, I caused nyself considerable pain and aggravation. Im sure I wouldnt have listened to anyone’s advice, had to learn it all the hard way, dang it. That is the frustrating thing about addiction, we know better its just hard to DO better.
                      Thank you so much for the kind words about the cake, now lets hope I can transport it without incident!
                      Hope everyon has a peaceful evening! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

My chicken is still missing so I guess she's just gone, damn. I've never heard of a chicken just walking off so she must have been grabbed by a fox or something. We have way too much wildlife around here, honestly.

LC, glad to hear Andre is making some progress - even a little bit is good, right?
                        It is odd the first few times you hear yourself saying, 'no thanks, I don't drink' but it becomes completely normal. Next you'll hear yourself telling people 'I used to drink/smoke but I don't do that anymore'!!! Progress

NS, the news is depressing, aggravating, frustrating & anything but good
                        Have you downloaded the Breathe 11:11 app on your phone yet? It's a nice reminder that chimes at 11:11 each morning and/or night to just stop for a moment & breathe & send good intentions out to the universe. It's helping me, really!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi. Sorry about your chicken LAV. It is strange there is no feathery evidence to point to a struggle. How many do you have now?

LC, I missed the Andre moments you talked about this summer. Sounds like you exerted a huge amount of kindness to him. No matter what the outcome, I would bet he will never forget that. Way to be an example of community.

I had a great weekend. Not sure how I was doing things with alcohol being in the forefront. I feel so much better and have so much more energy! It felt hard to say no Friday and Sat. nights out to dinner, but I did and it was like claiming back my power. I don't have to answer to anyone but myself and if myself says no, then that's what I'll do. It's a good feeling, though I know Thanksgiving is coming up and that may feel challenging. But I feel like such a better human being without alcohol. That should be enough said right there.

Hope everyone has a peaceful night. I really do believe on spreading the good intentions and peaceful, kind energy. It grows when we focus on it.
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Marylou - so sorry to hear your mom is having such a rough time. Is her vertigo caused by inner ear? I ask only because you mentioned helping her with some maneuvers recommended by her med team - my dad had something similar, and a particular maneuver helped correct whatever was out of whack in his inner ear. It took several tries - I think over several days or even longer - but when it finally worked it stay fixed. I'm so glad you're able and willing to help her, and I hope they're able to find a way to bring her some relief soon :hug:

LC - so glad to hear the update re Andre. Sounds like a tough spot he's in, and I hope he's able to dig his way out soon, with the love and support of others. Great to hear your updates as well! You sound strong and solid. How is your running going so far? I biked each of the past 3 days and feel pretty good about that - now to keep it up during the week!

Pav - hope you had a fantastic hike!

G-dude - how was your run??? Can't wait for the news.

Lav - sorry to hear about your chicken. Honestly, that's part of why we don't have more animals - it would break my heart to have such losses. I would have been a terrible farmer. Well, maybe a good one in some respects, but the death of critters always gets to me, even when it's a fact of life and nature. Hope you, your family, and the rest of your chickens are all managing to stay warm!

Byrdie - beautiful cake! Thanks for sharing the pics

NS - I totally agree about the news. I've felt that way for at least the past year. Sometimes I just have to take breaks. Good thing we have this wonderfully supportive and safe place to find refuge, interact with each other, and be each other's good news :heartbeat:

Ava - congrats on getting the contract!!!

Waves and hellos to Nar, QW, Moon, Pauly, Hyper, Mr V, Sky, Roobs, Kensho, and everyone else stopping by the nest today. Have fantastic days/eves!
                            Last edited by wagmor; November 13, 2017, 08:57 AM.
                            Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                              When it comes to AL, I definatley wish I had a do-over, I caused nyself considerable pain and aggravation. Im sure I wouldnt have listened to anyoneÂ’s advice, had to learn it all the hard way, dang it. That is the frustrating thing about addiction, we know better its just hard to DO better.
                              Oh yeah, wouldn't a mulligan be nice. A free shot at life again. What a thought.

I wish I could sit back and watch two movies in a row. One first of my life up to this point with alcohol in it. As I have/had been drinking for years I guess you could call it reality TV. Followed by one in which I never drank or even thought of drinking which I guess you would call fantasy island. I truly wonder if anyone with a clear mind would if he/she had the choice would select the drinking life. It's hard to imagine how AL affects every single thing in your life while you are drinking. I have so many thoughts on this that I don't even know what to say or think. But I would surely love a do-over after watching the double feature. Question is what would I choose if I had the choice? With the mindset that I have now it would be the life w/o alcohol. But let's just say I was sixteen, which way would I go. Just wondering out loud. Have a good nite everyone, hyper

p.s. I agree with others about the fact that this is without a doubt the most kind place I visit daily when I do drop by.

Comment

Morning Nesters,

Thank you so much for all of the well wishes/positive feedback with regards to Andre! I will pass them on next time I see him.. which should be on Dec. 4th. to watch a movie (the Meerkats- have any of you seen it?- unfortunately a weinstein production, but such a nice film about a community of little friends in Africa) and eat Panetone! I do hope he makes it.

I also find that reading the news first thing in the morning (or at all!) brings me down. I don't read it in the morning anymore and am trying to find balance with keeping a bit up to date and keeping my sanity. It's hard to know what to do. How to help change things..I've basically decided that I can only make change in my own life.. my own small world. And of course, to try with voting, signing petitions, demonstrating, if there's an opportunity.. but otherwise, I feel quite stuck.
                                I began a book of daily gratitudes a while back.. I pulled out the watercolours, pens, crayons, etc and each day I take a page to paint and write down all of the things I'm grateful for.. sometimes it's difficult to think of anything, but then I sit and something comes up and I go with stream of conciousness, and all of a sudden the page is full! This has become a nice daily ritual for me..

Wags, the running was great! Sunday morning at 9 is now a set date for a friend and I to meet and run then go to a cafe to catch up. It's doing us both wonders.. Good for you with the riding! Where do you go? Are you living in Seattle?

Kensho, great post! I think it's a great idea to make a plan for Thanksgiving ahead of time. It really is just another day and there is so much to enjoy about the gathering, the food, the celebration without drinking.. and afterwards you won't have to deal with a headache or the headf***!
                                This is going to be the year I finally come clean with my dad. Not just skirting around the issue like I usually do.. Right from the getgo, I will say, I don't drink anymore, dad! I'm getting lots of practice ahead of time!

Hyper, I hear you with wanting a do-over. But what I keep in my mind now, is that this is sort of a do-over. In all likely hood I'll live to be at least 75.. so that's still a lot of life to enjoy. If I hadn't started drinking as a girl, my life would probably look much different.. but, if I look at where I am and what I have, despite everything, it isn't all bad. I hate alcohol!
                                I don't know if I mentioned that, for the first time, a few weeks ago I was completely open with my almost 16 year old about my addiction. She has a birthday next Sunday and we were talking about her plans.. A good friend of hers had offered to have a party at her house and the plan was to go out and buy beer.. then maybe go to the park, etc, etc. Thank god, she isn't at all interested. Another friend in the class has her bday the same day and will be having a party at her house where drinking will be involved (i think the mother, who also drinks too much, is evening encouraging it in a "playful" way) and my daughter said, yeah, if they all want to drink they can go there.. I asked what she would do if all of the girls want to drink..? She said, she'd hang out with a friend of hers from outside the school.. I asked, doesn't he drink? she said, he's never even tasted alcohol and he doesn't smoke.. he always says, no, that's not for me.
                                It drives me crazy that the kids can drink here at 16. If she wanted to drink, there's nothing I could do about it. All I can do is talk openly about our family history, the effects of alcohol on the brain.. my personal story. Last night I was so happy to be able to talk about how difficult, nearly impossible it was for me to stop, what a negative force alcohol addiction has been in my life..

Goodness gracious, I've got to get to work.
                                I hope everyone has a good Un-hung Monday.. thank you to all of you for being here!!!xx
                                Last edited by lifechange; November 13, 2017, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X