Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
    I am making the turkey this year, and it is amazing how much (UNSOLICITED) advice I've gotten from my family on how to cook it. I keep telling them that I am FINE if any of them wants to cook it, and otherwise, they should keep the advice to themselves. I don't like getting into a rut of tradition, so that is making some people uneasy as the stuffing won't be exactly like my mom did it.
    Traditions can be nice but they sure come with a lot of pressure sometimes! I was feeling really stressed b/c my daughter and her family didn't want to travel, my BIL and SIL wanted all of us at their home 2+ hours away (as is our tradition), and I didn't really want to host b/c 1. I just don't enjoy it; 2. my SIL thinks it all should be done her way even if it is here; and 3. I never know if I'm going to have to drop everything to go be w/ my mom. So my daughter and I made a command decision that we would be going to a restaurant and whoever wanted could join us. Or not, and cook for themselves :wink:. People had to think about it for a bit but now everyone from the cooks to the dishwashers seem to be looking forward to a lower intensity dinner. We'll probably make our own desserts but that will be a choice, not another obligation. Sometimes a radical departure from tradition seems really good!!

Good to see you, TJAF. You should feel pretty confident about your commitment to sobriety after what you've been through. I hope you and your family have a peaceful holiday season. xx, NS

Comment

LC, how about sharing your best stuffing recipe in the world with your Fellow Nesters?

QW
      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

TJ, always wonderful to see you & boy have you been tested this year! Very sorry about your dog too. I lost my 14 1/2 yr old girl this summer, it's hard. Not drinking thru these hard times makes us stronger than we ever knew we could possibly be. Take care of yourself too :hug:

Byrdie, goodness..... sounds like your order taker could use a talking to, if you know what I mean. That's just ridiculous

NS, I love your holiday plan, awesome! I have pretty much had it with old family traditions too, especially when I have to do all the work!

G, tomorrow is another day & a new possibility, right?

Hello to Pav, LC, QW & everyone.
        Wishing a nice night for all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning Nesters,
          Have I mentioned how much I LOVE waking up Unhung? I appreciate each and every morning, stretching, climbing down the ladder (I'm up in a cool bunk bed atm), feeding the cats, making a coffee and coming here, then breakfast for the girls and off to work.. when I was drinking I was hitting snooze a million times, dreading every part of the day ahead of me, hating the monotonie of it all..

QW, ha! I actually wrote that ironically in response to Pav's post..(hope you took it that way, Pav)... I do, however, have a delicious "recipe" (for which I'll have to figure out the measurements) that's meant to be baked in a casserole outside the bird.. meaning it is quite moist in itself.. I'll post it here this afternoon..

NS, that is such a great idea! I also think it's so important to work with where people are in life.. The most important thing (to me anyway) is spending the time together.. of course good food is also important, but there are lots of definitions for that..
          I'm not stressed about Thanksgiving because we don't really do it here.. a mini version, but without tradition and not every year.. but Christmas stresses me out a bit when we travel to my family in the States. My parents are divorced and expect us to spend exactly 50% of the time at each of their homes.. and little things, like whose house do we go to first? They all come to the airport.. which is sweet, but tense. Let's see. I'm trying not to think about it too much in advance, as it does always work itself out. Most important is that I have to be straight up and honest in all situations.

Byrdie, I hope you are going to get at least a 2 day break over Thanksgiving.. from what I remember, no business is done on Thursday, at least, right? Seems like a lot of stress you've been having for quite some time. :hug:

ok, Lovely people.. off to make some oatmeal for brekkie.. will check in later. and wishing you all a nice Wednesday! xx
          Last edited by lifechange; November 15, 2017, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quit wining View Post
            LC, how about sharing your best stuffing recipe in the world with your Fellow Nesters?

QW
            I reckon she's all talk! haha. :congratulatory:

Tomorrow is a new day indeed Lav. All good here. It was a little difficult last week working with her again, which brought some feelings to the surface. But i handled it, and powered through. i also had a lot of fun.

Have a ripper nesters!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

A big shout-out to [MENTION=23164]Roobs[/MENTION], who hit 1 year, as she's revealed on the Gratitude thread. Well done.
              Traditons, ah what can I say. My wife's family has many, and they are pretty rigid. Sunday dinner at 5 pm not matter what, It's a little maddening. But we don't live in town and make it when we can. My wife made the best dressing in the WORLD one time for Thanksgiving, and no one touched it, because it wasn't the the way her Mom and grandmother made it. C'est la vie.
              My family? We're spread out all over the country, so no real get togethers and traditions.
              Always looking for a new dressing recipe, LC! I'd love to come eat in your restaurant sometime.

Comment

Congratulations Roobs! Mr.V we have the same old tradition year after year,I don't like to mix it up,I've tried in the past and it feels weird,i do our turkey early so its ready at 11 that way we can eat a big lunch then just munch later
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Congratulations on this huge achievement [MENTION=23164]Roobs[/MENTION]!

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hello nesters,

Thank you Mr.v for bringing up my year anniversary yes, as of yesterday, I have 365 days sober! It's been a long journey full of ups and downs. I've been battling my drinking problem for many years and finally in 2007 I logged on here,went to a couple of AA meetings, and started to finally admit with shame and guilt that I had a problem. From that point on I had stretches of af time that turned into "moderating" which eventually led me back to guzzling my usual amount of wine. The difference this year is that I finally surrendered to the fact that I have no control and no off switch. Up until that point I'd always left the door open just a crack. My last drink/drunk was not anything catastrophic, I just remember thinking, how am I going to get to that bottle of wine at the other end of the table without anyone noticing. Mind you my glass was still halfway full but I was strategizing and simultaneously trying to pace myself. Ugh, i was spending so much time and energy thinking about drinking, I just knew it had to stop.

I'm a slow typed and I have to run off to work. Thanks for everyone's shared wisdom in the nest, you help make this journey doable!

TJ, I'm sorry for the horrible year you've had. I hope this year brings you some relief and joy.

Happy sober hump day.
                    Roobs

Comment

Roobs!! Congratulations on one year of freedom!!! I am really happy for you and I hope you have a nice time celebrating!

Comment

[MENTION=23164]Roobs[/MENTION] -

Congratulations on one year!!!
                        Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hope everyone is doing well today. I'm just on a quick fly-by to say hi and check in with the roll call. I can see 500 days on the horizon and I'm very excited for this milestone. I realized that during an otherwise kind of sucky year, I've had two big positives: One year AF and soon 500 days AF. I'll take it!

Catch you all later... :heartbeat:
                          Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Morning nesters

Roobs,happy 1st birthday to you. What a happy day for you and one to be very proud of. Your story bought back similar memories to when i stopped, i was done with al ruling my life. Promise myself to stop when i woke up and by 3.30 was wondering which bottle shop i had been to the day before. Thank you for that reminder, as with all things as life moves on our memories fade and i alway like to be reminded of where i dont want to be again. Sending big hugs and love today on a huuge milestone and a special day.

Wow Wags 500 days, i love milestones and i am busy counting down the next two weeks, like a child waiting for santa and being so excited, thats me! Though i dont like xmas at all.

G, glad you worked out why you wanted to drink, half the issue is figuring out why and not making that mistake. great work.

LC do what you have to that makes you happy when you holiday. Remember that word NO and remember your quit is your priority. us alkies do not do stress well in the beginning so have a plan in place. i remember when i stopped drinking finally and you went on holidays and were 150 days thereabouts and drank. I remember wanting you to come back to the nest and be proud of me for not drinking so please please do that plan. I know you will do it but having that tool belt on is essential. xmas is such a stressful time of year, throw in some deprived feelings and on it goes.

Hi TJ, lovely to see you pop in and hear you have not drank. You reinforce the saying of "nothing is worth drinking AT". I hope life settles down for you soon. x

Well the village idiot boss could not help himself again on tuesday. I said to myself if i can get through this without drinking i can get through anything. My anxiety went sky high again. i told the relevant people and he was spoken to. he then has the audacity yesterday to want to talk to me and then when i said no wanted to have a 5 minute non confrontational meeting. i said no. FFS does a bully ever ever stop. i am training a temp today and tomorrow and am so looking forward to next Monday and a new chapter of my life.

Pav, just buy KFC and tell them its turkey. My enthusiasm for family events is low and i am waiting for mum to give the command of visiting her at xmas. i find it hard enough to get the 4 children to come over at xmas let alone get them to drive 2 plus hours. she actually has been human and i think will listen when i say no and she has to visit me. i was trying to organise the other halves family to meet mine and after listening to them all i just thought, forget it we can do it another time. not stressing myself out over that one.

Yes LC i was wondering about sky, moon and kensho also.

well off to work i go. Hi to everyone. Take care x
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks Ava. Is it this monday that you start the new job? Only today and friday to go with the bully then. Yay! Then your 4 years right around the corner. You are raawkin this life lady!

Another raaawker is our Roobs on 1 year booze free. Wowza Roobs! Congratulations. :balloons:

Wags is no slouch either coming up to 500 big ones! :woohoo2:

All good here. Cruising along very nicely thanks umpire.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters!

First of all -

CONGRATS ON 1 YEAR AF ROOBS!!!!! :welldone: :yay:

Ava, you have no idea how happy we will all be for you when you finally start your new job, haha!!!!!

G, glad everything is OK with you.

LC & Mr V, let's all make a new dressing/stuffing recipe this year

Byrdie, you sure do need a few days off, take care of yourself.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe & cozy night in the nest for all!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X