Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Struggling today. Not really tempted to drink, although I'm pretty sure I would have on such a day before my quit.

A year ago today was the day I got smashed into by the hit-and-run driver. Honestly, it's been a hard year since then, with my physical and psychological injuries, my cousin's brain cancer and passing, and all the other lovely joys of this thing we call life. It's uncomfortable, and I'm trying to just be with it - like the Buddhist philosophy NS posted above. I know it will pass, and I know I won't drink. I've been reframing the idea of drinking - where the price I have to pay is to give up all that I've gained over the last 570 days of my quit. I know that isn't truly how it works, but it helps me place that high price tag on a drink. No way, I'm way too stingy to pay that exorbitant price. In times of challenge, I'll take any mental games I can play in order to protect my quit!

One other interesting/negative memory about today - this pm my partner and I are heading out of town for a couple of days, escaping to the mountains. We have friends with a house they're renovating there, and they have a little basement apartment they let us use for free every now and then. The last time was almost 2 years ago. The reason I know that is the last time we stayed there, I embarrassingly went through all of their kitchen cabinets, freezer, etc scrounging every drop of al I could pilfer without making it look too obvious. I can remember weighing the idea of adding a little water to the vodka in the freezer so I could have another drink or two and possibly not have it noticed (at least not right away). They never said anything, so I'm not sure if my al raids were ever detected, but I'm so supremely embarrassed by my behavior. Yes, I sank that low. Needless to say, there will be none of those shenanigans this time, and I will be proudly sober the entire time we're there!

Hope everyone is having, or has had, a good hump day. See you all around the nest! We might not have connectivity in the mountains, so it might be Friday before I post again, but I'll be thinking about all of you!
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Quick flyby. Hola!

great to see you LB.

All the best with the work stuff Pavi. You too Byrdy.

Happy Valentines all. My inbox is jammed and overflowing as usual this time of year..........

off to the workhouse. Take it easy out there. L8tr g8trs.

xpost Wags. Safe travels and have a bewdy!
      Last edited by Guitarista; February 14, 2018, 01:53 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hello this is my first time on this site and frankly the first time I've reached out since developing an alcohol dependency. I've gradually become more and more dependent on alcohol (Vodka) over the last 11 years. Typically a 2 hour window every night I drink until I'm passed out or asleep. Somehow I've managed to keep my family, job, etc. even though my co-workers have smelled alcohol on me in the mornings numerous times. I work in a heavily regulated industry and had I been sent for Alcohol testing I would have been terminated. I am currently consuming 1/2 gallon of Vodka every 3 days or just shy of a 1/5th every evening. It's time for me to beat this once and for all. I've attempted to moderate but it does not work. One drink for me leads to many more. I've went 3 months AF last summer and felt amazing. I had zero withdrawals my only issue was insomnia. Since last summer I've went AF for 2-3 days from time to time but the anxiety I got from not sleeping was too much. I just wanted to get my story on here and take it from there.

Comment

Wags, hang in there, tomorrow will be a new day. You have overdome so many things this past year, you should be very proud. Im wishing you well. I have done that same rummaging at my step daughter’s house. I worried that if I put water in the vodka in the freezer it might freeze and break the bottle, so I’m sure they noticed that their good stash took a giant hit. Those werent the days. Im so glad not to have that ball and chain now, I know you are, too. Hugs.

HelpThe Hoosier, welcome aboard! You have landed in a wonderful spot if you are ready to learn the skills necessary to shed this monkey. Please see the link in my signature line for the Tool Box. It is full of tips and tricks to help you navigate these new waters. We are so glad you found us! We are right by your side.

Happy Valentines day to the finest people on Earth, my fellow nesters! Hey Lil Beagle! Xoxoxoxoxo, Byrdie
          Last edited by Byrdlady; February 14, 2018, 07:45 PM.
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters & Happy Valentines day to all!

Everyone sounds pretty good, that makes me happy
            I took the old man out to lunch today & fed him leftovers for dinner, ha ha! After all these years, I don't worry about this stuff.

Hello & welcome HelpthisHoosier, glad you found us!
            You may find us shortening your name just a bit - maybe HtH
            Breaking free of the grips of AL is tough but always the right choice. You can do it with a good plan & firm commitment to meet your goals. Check in with us daily & let us know how you are doing.

Wags, I'm sure we all have one or two or seven of those sh*tty memories from our drinking days. Let them empower you to stick to your plan so you never ever find yourself doing something like that again - that's what I do

Sending everyone wishes for a safe night in the nest! Let us remember the victims of the school shooting in FL today - yet another senseless tragedy!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all!

Just a quick check-in, in case I can't later on. Hang in there Wags, you sound really strong. Ug, I have similar memories of sneaking booze at my moms' house and filling it up with water, until I drank the whole bottle and had to buy another one. Poured some off to make it look like I didn't do it.. and then drank that. I did this twice while I was staying with her. I felt like cringing. She never said anything, so I must of pulled it off... but I'll always know.

Hi HelpthisHoosier! Welcome to the nest. It's a good place to be to have support. Well done on reaching out for help. It is so brave!
              AF January 7, 2018

Comment

Hi, Nest:

Hoosier! Welcome, and you've come to the right place. The anxiety is probably withdrawal as well as not sleeping. It hurts at first, but the hurt is worth the freedom on the other end. Do you have a plan? Is the alcohol out of the house? Do you have in-person support or a partner who at least would do no harm? We will support you - keep leaning on us!

Wags - sorry for the bad anniversary. Those little memories like that aren't pleasant, but they do help keep a healthy fear of alcohol in me.

J-Vo! I hope you're ok and reading here. We're here for you...

Pav

Comment

Hi Hoosier! Thanks for joining us. Let us know how we can help

Hi Wags. Hugs to you - you stayed strong during a very difficult time. I implant your experience, along with others here, in my brain for when things get tough for me. I will remember that you got through it and are happier on the other side for not drinking. I also have those yucky memories of sneaking this and that and water filling, and bottle replacing - what a drag sneaking around. It takes a toll on self-esteem, not to mention being a colossal waste of energy!

I'm having the literally crack my eyes open this morning. I am SO tired. My son's play was fun and we go tonight too. Work is keeping me on my toes too, and some weird feelings around different projects and my ability. It comes and goes - enjoy the good and breathe through the uncomfortable. That's my motto. I feel too tired to do my morning stretching, but I know how it grounds me and amazingly puts everything in perspective, so I'm going to do it when the clan leaves all leaves this morning. Gotta do that self care stuff. Or maybe I'll just go back to bed

Hugs to all!
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Just a quick check in.
                    Help this Hoosier, please keep coming back. We are in the same boat all of us.

Happy to be Un Hung on a Thursday.
                    JVo- hope you are ok.
                    Hi LilBeagle!

Don't drink today.
                    xo
                    Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                    "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

'Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love and Wisdom' by Rick Hanson?
                      Lav, thanks for this. I will get this book, it sounds good.
                      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hola everyone,

Welcome Hossier.

How are you going J vo?

Strumming a song here for you Wags, coz.....why not?

Day 170 on this friday morning over here. Holy nitpickin nuns! Daily self care done and dusted, nomatter who no matter what no matter where. Reminds me of a muslim fella i worked with years ago. He was a bus driver on public transport. He'd stop the bus and pull out his prayer mat at specific times during his shift. Stopped a packed bus during peak hour, pull out his mat and pray. No matter who, no matter what, no matter where. Take care out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

G Friend... High five on 170!!
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Thank you friend Kensho!

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

WOW G, CONGRATS to you on 170 AF days :yay:
                              I hope you're taking good notes so you can be sure to add all your best helpful hints to the book you write some day
                              Very happy for you!

Warmish spring like day here today although it's going to snow Saturday night, oh well!
                              Glad to see folks checking in with positive reports & moving forward in their AF lives. This is the way we need to be
                              Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good even’nin Nesters.
                                GMan, 170 days is EPIC! Very proud of you, friend. Keep it going, I am here to tell you, you think you are zenny now, wait til you have a couple years under your belt. You will have zen out the ying-yang! So proud of you!

Busy day at work, as sualy, I just stopped working at 5:30 and left it unfinished, it will wait til tomorrow!
                                Hope everyone has has an easy evening. Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X