Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi, Nest:

We went out for dinner with friends, and no drinks for me. Everyone else had two - about $24 more than I spent! I still haven't gotten very good at saying that I shouldn't have to spend as much, but luckily my friend pointed that out for me.

Ava - brave soul being the DD at a party like that. I feel like I always want an exit strategy. A couple of times I have left my husband to take a cab because I don't want to interrupt his good time, but I want to leave. Now mostly he leaves with me, though. He's become more of a homebody since I quit. Kensho - I get what you're talking about. I really think no one should drink regularly for a number of reasons, so it is hard not to be judgmental of everyone sometimes. I keep quiet, though!

Seeker - glad you're still sober through the hard times. My sister asked the question for herself - is your live easier with your partner in it? If the answer is no, I wonder why the compulsion to stay (she didn't and couldn't be happier - another weight lifted from her life). I'm not saying one way or the other, but be honest with yourself either way...

Happy SOBER Sunday - so glad I am facing a beautiful day UNHUNG.

Pav

Comment

Originally posted by Roobs View Post
      Good morning nesters,

I think another week has gone by since I checked in. I do try to read something about sobriety everyday so that I don't forget that I have a problem with alcohol and that's why I don't drink! I absolutely love reading everyone's post and different blogs to understand this beast but to recognize that there are so many wonderful, funny, talented, smart people around the world living sober. I wish we could all meet for a big hug and high five.
      Right on Roobs. I try to remind myself often of all the different champions like all of you here, living different lives all over the world sober and kicking sober arse. If youse can do it i can do it. If i can do it, you can do it. The trail has been blazed by many before us. The internet is a handy endless source of info and inspiration on the subject. Great job on the family do!

You raawk Wags.

Seeker, hope you're ok there mate. The emotional stuff around relationships i find unsettling and difficult, but we can get through sober. Post whenever you feel like it friend. Remember, this diverse bunch are pretty good listeners.

Big waves to all. Take it easy out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Glad to see everyone checking in with good reports

Started off with a snow cover, just a couple of inches but then the sun came out & melted most of it away. That's OK with me.
        Awaiting the arrival of my two grandsons who will be spending the night & ALL day tomorrow since there's no school. Pray for me, Lol

Seeker, congrats on your AF time, good job!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Everyone. I've been reading throughout the day, but realized I hadn't posted. You all sound good.

Seeker, sorry for the drama with the lady. I think it was really good advice I got here to wait out big decisions until a little further on in sobriety. We are close in our days AF. I'm taking note on my feelings and dealing as issues come up, but waiting on major conclusions. Only you know your situation fully though. Best to you.

I'm fighting gunk off - and my little girl is feverish. Hoping those flu shots will lessen the severity of it. I've enjoyed my weekend otherwise - it's been really relaxing but productive at the same time. I've had a couple double takes on wine ads and the such, but no real desire to drink. Happy for that.

Have a great night everyone!
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good Un-hung Monday morning, Nesters...

I'm not quite ready for the weekend to be over! We had quite a relaxing one.. I got to make a nice observation yesterday.. two 13 year olds dealing with boredom. My daughter and her best friend were sitting on the sofa, trying to decide what to do, getting on eachothers nerves, arguing over stupid things like who was had cat-petting rights (?!).. biggest problem was that the friend wanted to watch something and my daughter had had too much Sat. so didn't want to.. I left the room and when I came back a while later they were listening to African music.. then changed to Cuban/Salsa.. their spirits were lifted, they began painting and spent the next two hours chatting about everything from the ground up.. It was so nice. Sometimes I forget the healing powers of music. It can pull me out of the darkest of moods..

Roobs, good to see you!!
            Lav, hope you're having a lovely time with the Grandkids!!
            Kensho, gute Besserung! I'm also fighting off some sort of gunk. It really chaps my hide when I'm more or less taking care of myself and I get sick. Hope your little one gets well soon..

Hi G-man, Pav and everyone else stopping and flying by today.. Let's make this day count.
            xx

Comment

Happy Monday--

A holiday here. We had a late night with friends but whereas my husband will be hungover (when he wakes up), I feel sleepy but good. He was annoyingly drunk last night - a little TOO repetitive by the end of the night. I feel smug and so solid in my choice not to drink.

I also had a friend lose her partner to cancer over the weekend. I don't know how to be supportive as she is such an independent, non affectionate person. I actually believe her when she says she doesn't want me to go over to her house right now, but I don't know WHEN I should just go anyway, if nothing else than to give her a hug and some food? I'm taking her words for true right now. So sad, so sad.

Not much else to report. A ton going on - need to remember self care at this point. Very important.

Pav

Comment

Hello everyone, I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I'll probably lurk and read posts for a while rather than posting myself. Sometimes all you need is to see how others are in the same boat as you Thanks for reading xx
                :thumbsup: Taking steps in the right direction :heartbeat:

Comment

Hello all !
                  It’s been a long time.
                  To make things short, I had a glass of champagne at our daughter’s wedding and that was July 2016.
                  It’s taken me this long to get back on the wagon
                  But here I am… day 5 and feeling better.

Good to read all your posts and happy to be back in the nest
                  Go as far as you can see.
                  When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Welcome MC Making changes. Good to have you here taking back your precious life!

Welcome back My way. I remember you as a fairly cool and balanced customer in your sobriety. It is so true that for many of us here, okay maybe all of us, one drink will 999/1000 lead us back to our old damaging routine. Good to see you and top job on day 5!

Sorry to hear of your friend losing their partner Pav. So much damn cancer going around these last couple of decades it seems.

Late night of busy work last night, and felt a little fluey, so i crashed out for a good solid sleep. Thankfully, no flu this morning! I must've headed it orf at the pass with apple cider vinegar (with the 'mother' ingredient) and a few kilo's of garlic and ginger yesterday.

Take it easy out there and do something nice for yourself today.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Hey G, big fan of the AC vinegar here too, but I haven’t added garlic and ginger. How do you add it?

I’m with kids at the paint-your-Pottery place this afternoon. A cold and snowy view out the storefront; very cozy. I’m effectively very managing chaos so far for what is scheduled to be an insane week. I have two projects to photograph, one to install, one to order, and three to present designs for. It’s nice to stop and breathe the creative air of kids. Top priority this week is sleep and to do my morning breathing. Have to remember that “the drapes can wait”. Trying to be superwoman was a HUGE reason I started abusing alcohol to the next level.

Glad you are feeling smug PAV, you’ve earned it

Welcome Making Changes, and welcome back Mywayin! Glad you’re here
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Take care with your busy week friend Kensho.

I just chop some raw garlic and ginger and swallow it, either with water or a swig of ACV. No technique, i just git it in.
                        Last edited by Guitarista; February 19, 2018, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

My grandsons are still here but hopefully will be going home soon, ha ha! SO much energy!!!!

Hello & welcome Making Changes, glad you found us!

MyWayIn, great to see you & Congrats on your 5 AF days! Stay. With us now, the suport really helps

Pav, I feel somewhat smug at times too. It feels good

Hello kensho, G & all fans of ACV!!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey Nesters!
                            Welcome abaord, Making Changes! This is a great place to get your sober legs. We are so glad you found us!
                            MyWayIn, warm welcome back to you, also and thank you for the reminder that we must stay vigilant.
                            Ive had the day off and have loved very minute of it. Back to the salt mines tomorrow. Bleh. Hope everyone has an easy evening. Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Glad you are here Making Changes.
                              Mywayin I'm glad you are back.
                              I still have drinking dreams. They're pretty bad usually. I drink like I did before I stopped and I ALWAYS regret it. This really feels like a lesson to me.
                              Happy biking says.
                              I can talk forever about relationship issues. But I do know that drinking never fixes anything. Having just survived a divorce I speak from experience. And I can tell you that being alone can feel like an ocean of peace after a really stressful relationship ends.
                              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Welcome Making Changes and Welcome back MyWayIn! Glad you're both here with us.

Pav - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's loss of her partner. Cancer really sucks! As someone who has lost three very close family members to cancer in the past few years, I guess my only advice to you would be: a) continue what you're doing for now - honoring her preferences, and b) don't stop checking in with her. The thing that always seems to happen is that those of us left to grieve are surrounded by friends and family at first - maybe for a few weeks or so - and then everyone else's life moves on and the griever is still coping. It can suddenly feel very lonely. Grief is very individual, but for the most part I think people don't need others to "do" anything specific except just not disappear. :hug: to you - you're a good friend for even considering how best to support her.
                                Last edited by wagmor; February 19, 2018, 11:06 PM.
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X