Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters.

It's an up and down journey when we set out to change our lives. We often ponder about how alcohol affects our emotions at certain time periods in our quit, but I am not thinking about it in those terms this time around. I see my ups and downs in a more self reflective way. I'll have moments of clarity and joy followed by moments of a depressed state. The depressed states appear to be triggered from the past, present or worry toward the future and most importantly, not being who I should be, who I was born to be. So many things come into play in those low moments. These are often trigger moments to get a drink, but my tool box and gained knowledge are helping to have victory over those moments and feelings. I know that the alcohol will only prolong the existing struggles and inhibit intelligent, informed thought toward solving them. After my recent high to a low, I will humble myself to those periods and realize my feelings where 'I don't want to drink' can change to the opposite rapidly. I'll acknowledge this is not a stable journey, but one worth taking. The positive in these changing moods is that I am learning something in each of them. So, I can view them as a positive instead of a negative in the rear view mirror. It's where the growth is for me...those changes on a deeper level and sometimes not so deep, I need to work on each day. When you see these changes in my thoughts here, it will make more sense. It probably already does to those who have already taken the journey and climbed through some of this jungle.

Emerson is speaking to me today.

“I appeal from your customs. I must be myself. I cannot break myself any longer for you, or you. If you can love me for what I am, we shall be happier. If you cannot, I will still seek to deserve that you should. I must be myself. I will not hide my tastes or aversions. I will so trust that what is deep is holy, that I will do strongly before the sun and moon whatever inly rejoices me and the heart appoints. If you are noble, I will love you; if you are not, I will not hurt you and myself by hypocritical attentions. If you are true, but not in the same truth with me, cleave to your companions; I will seek my own. I do this not selfishly but humbly and truly. It is alike your interest, and mine, and all men’s, however long we have dwelt in lies, to live in truth. Does this sound harsh to-day? You will soon love what is dictated by your nature as well as mine, and if we follow the truth it will bring us out safe at last.—But so may you give these friends pain. Yes, but I cannot sell my liberty and my power, to save their sensibility. Besides, all persons have their moments of reason, when they look out into the region of absolute truth; then will they justify me and do the same thing.
    The populace think that your rejection of popular standards is a rejection of all standard, and mere antinomianism; and the bold sensualist will use the name of philosophy to gild his crimes. But the law of consciousness abides.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance and Other Essays

Day 24...Byrd, I would like a camouflage hat if you have one in your closet when my 30 day mark is achieved.

Have a great day, all! Life is short and a precious gift we are given to grow into who we are born to be.
    Last edited by Crusader; March 11, 2018, 12:18 PM.
    The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

I'd like to add a thank you to everyone for your posts. I read them after my post this morning. It is helpful to come and read everyone's thoughts and experiences, and I appreciate the contributions.

:thanks::heartbeat::hug:

Comment

Eve’nin, Nesters.
        Adjusting to the new time today. Nice to have a bit more daylight.
        Mentally gearing up for another work week. Sunday nights used to be just awful....I started drinking at 10:30 in the morning on the weekends, so it was a real challenge not to pass out on the couch by mid afternoon. I used to sneak to my closet and take 7 chugs from my hidden vodka bottle. Those werent the days. (i dont know why ut was 7, that just seemed to be the right number. SICK, sick, sick. Do whatever it takes to break free of this. I promise, its worth it!
        Hope everyone has an easy evening! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

'The law of consciousness abides' - Crusader that's the best thing I've heard in a long time, thank you for posting that! Our thoughts & feelings change many times on our journey, just observe them & stay on plan.
          Ralph Waldo Emerson has always inspired me. As a matter of fact I just recently embroidered his words on a pillow to inspire my very smart grandson -
          "What lies BEHIND us
          and what
          LIES BEFORE us
          are tiny matters
          COMPARED to
          what LIES
          within us"

Mywayin, I've had the 'one day at a time' quote on my sig. line since I first started here, way back when

Hello to Pav & Byrdie & absolutely everyone!
          Wishing a safe night in the nest for all.

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Sunday evening dear nesters,
            Day 9 in the books for me. Today was the first day that I have really started feeling better. A lot of the anxiety seems to be fading and I took a nice long walk to enjoy the budding of spring that is everywhere. Still a little more chilly than I like, but I know we are on the upswing.

Crusader, you are such a great writer. Love reading your posts...always so much food for thought.

We were supposed to have grandma over for dinner tonight, but she had a case of the diarrhea, so she stayed home. It is great now that she lives nearby we can look after her better. Seems that the relatives where she was never had the time for her. She is in a much better place now, and it is less stressful for my husband to care for her locally than from 400 miles away. The kids love the fact that they have a grandma close by, as both of my parents are gone..

I haven't made it this far since I started trying to quit AL...again. I think of one of those vodka chugs, and how at first it makes the tummy all warm, etc...but then the brain turns gooey and the crazy thoughts come that the only way to feel better is to keep drinking. Byrdie...funny that 7 was your go to number of chugs. I guess I did not have a specific number...just whatever I could get away with that day.

Geez...it is so great to be away from that. What a waste of time, money and brain cells that was. I ain't going back...no way, no how!

Everyone stay safe and warm in the nest tonight! There is talk of possibly a little snow in these parts tonight or tomorrow. But at this point we know it won't last long. :hug: to all.
            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Early morning nesters!

Lav, Emerson inspires me as well. I'm planning a trip to the library this week. I can find most anything online, but I feel like holding a book in my hands. I have a few subject matters I'd like to get. I let most of my books go in my last move. I've been shedding possessions and living with less, so it's off to the library. That's a thoughtful gift for your grandson. I bet he'll treasure it and hopefully internalize the message in the quote. Those are the best gifts, imo.

That was a kind thing to say Belle. :heartbeat: I need to work on it. Too many years of my mind soaking in AL. I'll heading into thirty days this week, so excited to see improvements as I move along in this journey. You sound better. Keep pushing through. Keep your eye on the prize.

Hello to all. Have a great AF day.

Comment

Byrdie… Ug. Painful picture, and too familiar. I haven’t thought much of my drinking lately, as much as about my sobriety. I remember that nauseating trap of hiding vodka (or anything), and hating the taste on my breath, and separating myself from others so they couldn’t tell… I don’t miss ANY part of that picture. Especially trying to “right” the dizzy as it came - so I wouldn’t be caught. The entire thing was a sham. Nothing beats authentic.

Crusader, thank you for the Emmerson loveliness this morning. You sound positive and realistic. In my opinion, you have the attitude of someone who beats this - as you are willing to take reality for good and bad and go with it. Your positivity will carry you far

LAV, that’s SO like you - to find the most concise version of something that is equally powerful. It is an ability that I wish I had!

Hi Belle, and everyone - glad I get to know you all. Have a sober one everyone.
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hey, [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION], I tried to send you a PM but they appear to be blocked. I won't repeat my note here but wanted to point you to a thread that might interest you given your ideas about spiritual beings having a human experience. All the best, NS

Comment

Hi Nesters!

We had a bit of an "unplugged" weekend which was just what the doctor ordered..
                    Funny though, that it's difficult to get back into it. Difficult for me to find the balance. I love this forum and a lot of what the internet offers.. but sometimes I miss the ease of not having it all.. the simplicity. Maybe a "fasting" day each week would be good..:happy2:

Crusader, I really enjoyed reading the Emerson.. thank you for posting that. I'm looking forward to celebrating your 30 day milestone with you..
                    Belle, so glad it's getting easier for you.. that you are beginning to really notice a difference.
                    Lav, from a couple days back.. NO, we don't drink!

Pav, G-man, Ava, Kensho, Mywayin, NS, Byrdie, Wags, everyone stopping/flying by today.. big hugs! Love! Looking forward to an Un-hung Tuesday morning.
                    xx
                    Last edited by lifechange; March 12, 2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Crusader, it is amazing to see your strength and reaolve growing daily. I have made a note of yoyr hat preference and will be so happy to award that to you soon!
                      A little better day at work today, no crises! (Is that the plural of crisis?).
                      Right, Lifechange, we dont drink! No matter what, no matter who!
                      Hope everyonw has an easy evening. Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Oh MAN! What a day. I worked in circles all day like mad, and got NOTHING on my list done! I did think of drinking this afternoon - I'm overwhelmed and tired. I'll chalk it up to a time change day. It always causes some funk. I made a list of the things that are stressing me out the most, and made a plan to tackle 3 of them tonight. I also scheduled the kids to do after school care tomorrow, so I can have a longer day tomorrow. I've decided its about solving the problem, not numbing it, so that's what I'm going to do.

And, I plan to do my pilates/breathing tomorrow morning, come hell or high water (I don't think either are in the forecast, but you never know!!)
                        Last edited by KENSHO; March 12, 2018, 07:46 PM.
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Well it's raining....if it doesn't turn into snow I'll be happy.....then again I have no control over that stuff, do I?
                          I am just a wee bit ready for spring

Kensho, sounds like you have a good & sturdy plan, good for you!
                          No amount of booze will ever correct a sh*tty day, we know that

Crusader, I moved away from reading 'real' books when I realized I can see much better on my Kindle app, ha ha! It's all about getting old, oh well. Reading is a wonderful, safe & healthy escape, something we all need from time to time.

LC, an unplugged weekend once in a while sounds nice. Do whatever makes you happy!

Hi there NS & Byrdie & everyone. I feel like we're missing a few peeps, hope they are OK.
                          Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Just a quick before bed drop in to say good night to all...And saying that day 10 is in the books. Really tired today, I guess that time change kicked my butt.

It feels so good to wake up in the middle of the night and know that the GSR brothers are MIA!!!

Take care all, and don't let those GSR brothers anywhere near your sleep...
                            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                              I've decided its about solving the problem, not numbing it...
                              Kensho, that is so right on!
                              Thank you for the reminder
                              Go as far as you can see.
                              When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post
                                No amount of booze will ever correct a sh*tty day, we know that
                                Ah, Lav, this about sums it up, doesn't it! I sense a bumper sticker in the making
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X