Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Steady, 5 years?! Wowza! Congratulations good buddy. We love ya and know you're around. Great to see you!

Get well soon SB! Take it easy.

Hi Dinah!

Rose, stick with it. My thinking and thoughts were my biggest challenge. Daily self care has really helped and probably been a lifesaver and thought changer for me. It's a slow process, but where am i going? We only have today. Letting the past go, i.e. yesterday, this morning, 20 years ago is something i aim for, along with banishing negative thinking or putting myself down in any way at all. I try my best to do this anyway.

Wagdawg, you know the old AA saying? H.A.L.T. Hungry Angry Lonely Tired, are classic, common triggers. I'll add sad to that. Congrat's on your business stuff looking up! Cool beans. I'm staying in Rio for a few weeks as a base.

Pav and Ava. I bet you have colleagues who don't say much, but thank their lucky stars that you two are there on deck every day as an oasis of common sense and sanity!

Byrdy, good idea re AB. I haven't been using it the last few months, but i still have plenty. I'll dig out a script to take with me so customs know what the pills are. If i pop one once a week even, that works for me. No side effects.

Santiago Chile is hotting up. A woman and her friends are taking me to a music jam night, and another woman of mystery and intrigue who looks like a baddie out of a James Bond film has offered to introduce me to local cuisine. Sheesh, i'm only there for 3 days. Friendly and generous folk to be sure. No sleep till brazil!

Take it easy.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Morning nesters

Steady, wow 5 years, you go girl. I think for us, every milestone is important, it reminds us of where we were and how far we have come. Each Sunday i tell my SO how many days and he always congratulates me. He didnt know the drunk me so his concept is that i am sober for another week and that is great. I do know i would not be with him if i was still drinking, i would not have gotten a promotion if i was still drinking, i would not have completed a course if i was still drinking and i probably would not be alive now if i had of still been drinking. this is what keeps me sober and that i hate al now.

Wags, realising our triggers is good. i find stress and anger (blaming that on menopause) can bring on fleeting thoughts of al but they are very few and far between. coming on here to where my accountability lies and saying i drank is a scary thought!

G, you must be getting so excited now, we will miss you and do hope you can check in and say hi if nothing else. We all know you wont drink and Byrd's suggestion of AB is a grand idea (she is full of them).

Well i must say TFIF. been a busy stressful week at work. the hospital is full for some reason as its not even winter yet and they have wanted to postpone my patients coming in. Very frustrating to say the least.

Spending a bit of quality time with my daughter as she is going on holidays to Vietnam in a week and i am babysitting her cat. I have put in an order to get my hair coloured to get rid of some grays and hopefully she will do this under sufferance of course. My son has an old family friend staying and i have not seen her since she was about 12 so it will be a shock to see her all grown up. i finally finished my scarf so now onto the next project.

Take care xx
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Evenin, all!
        Steady, great job on those 5 years! Getting sober IS hard, staying sober even harder. Thats why we have prizes around here! Please accept this small token for a big job....yes, your very own Llama! :llama: WE know how hard it is and we appreciate your hard work. I was going to say ‘too bad there are no prizes in real life for this’ but in fact, there are....clear conscience, clear mind, a good memory, better health, the list goes on!

G, your trip sounds fab! Im jealous of all these woman fawning after you. You are OURS! They better treat you like a king, or they will have the nest to answer to! AB sounds like a great strategy, better safe than sorry.

Hope everyone has a great evening. Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thanks Ava and Byrdy.

They're goin crazy, bonkers i tell yiz over my trip to chile! lol. It's a really nice and totally unexpected delight.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still way too hot in Lav-land but it’s looking to cool off after some rain this weekend, yay!

Steady, CONGRATS to you on your 5 year AF anniversary :welldone:
            You know, it’s perfectly OK to celebrate your milestones alone, that’s what I do too. Of course there’s always the celebration here :yay:
            Keep up the great wo4k, we are all so very proud of you!

Wags, every single drinking dream has been a gift for me too.
            Anger & loneliness were my major triggers. Now I protect my noundaries with everything I’ve got.

G, wishing you a marvelous trip!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night 8n the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Friends! I’ve missed you! I’ve been booked down to the minute - can’t wait for things to slow down. They should do so in about a week. I’m up early today getting ready for an install. I love these days… I get to see the end product of a transformed space, and see the look on the homeowner’s face.

G - sounds like you’re set for some bueno music y comida! I am excited for you! Please DO check in!

AVA - babysitting a cat and knitting something new? Sounds like fun for both of you!

LAV, you certainly have weather extremes! Hope those chickens are behaving themselves

STEADY! Congrats on 5 years!! That's wonderful!

I look back and literally can't believe I wasted so much time drinking. My world was so small then - drink, feel bad for drinking, feel sick, sleep like crap, wake tired and shake off hangover, recover with brain fog, begin thinking about alcohol again, obsess about alcohol, get alcohol, begin again. EVERYTHING else in life was secondary. Missed opportunities, wasted time. YUCK!

Have a happy one out there today!
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, All:

G - word travels fast I guess, when a guitar-playing, yoga practicing, ocean swimming, clear headed dude from Oz travels to South America. Sounds like a blast. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too - sleep enough, eat well, and take your moment of zen.

Wags - Dreams are irritating but enlightening sometimes. I think of them like a journal prompt - not true, but something to make you think about how you would apply that situation in the real world.

NS - I swear it is like you live my sober life. That explains exactly why I treated quitting like it was "no big deal." I have talked to some good friends only recently about what I do to stay sober and how it is not just a thing I don't think about. It IS a big deal, especially in this alcohol-washed society we live in.

Lav, stay cool. You've had some crazy weather.

Kensho - that must feel great. I am not sure exactly what you do, but I love watching design/makeover shows on TV and seeing what talented people can do to make a space look good.

Hi to everyone else. I'm off on a mini-vacation to see an old friend with my husband. No drinking, plenty of fresh air, and not clear about wifi. If you don't hear from me, I'm ok and will be back soon.

xo
                Pav

Comment

Hola nesters near and not so far.

I'll be sure to look after myself Pav. Love your description! Thanks. I'm staying right near the beach in Rio for a couple of weeks, in Copocabana. I'm expecting some evidence of decay and pollution of the area from the intense tourism patronage, development, and glam vibe it's had over the years, but it looks like a big ocean beach, so maybe the water there rejuvenates itself well and i can connect with some kosher natural beauty. Either way, it'll be a blast, and the ocean is always a good influence on me. I'm expecting the kind of joint where i can get breakfast at 'Cafe Abfab el fresco' for $25 overlooking beach, or just around the block in a backstreet is Maria's and Rico's 'Cafe a casa' big homecooked breakfast including coffee for $5. That's how things usually work in tourist areas. I've also found an Amazon jungle tour for 4 days, which includes lot's of hands on stuff like bushcraft, building rope bridges, temp shelter, fishing for pirhana!??

Kensho, do you ever get someone saying at the end of a job.....'Hmmmm, looks great, but i wanted purple. That's violet!' lol. Hope this one goes well. Good job mi amiga!

Git some self care in today pilgrims. You are worth it.
                  Last edited by Guitarista; May 4, 2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

TGIF. Byrdie
                    Edit to add: Happy Birthday, G man! Wow, this is just YOUR time, isnt it? Hope you had a great day!
                    Last edited by Byrdlady; May 4, 2018, 06:03 PM.
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Still crazy hot & humid here, waiting for the promised rain to cool things off!

G, it's your birthday?? Have a great one & many more

Pav, happy travels to you too this weekend, enjoy.

Kensho, I have been asked to make curtains & slip covers for people over the years. I don't mind doing that stuff for myself but I find it a bit nerve wracking to do for someone else. I wouldn't have the guts to do thins on the scale you do - good job!

Byrdie, I imagine you're happy that it's Friday, ha ha! Have a super relaxing weekend.

Wishing a safe & comfy night for all in this wonderful nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Howdy! Relatively good day here. Installs are exciting, but exhausting. I'm beat. Yes G - people get very picky. It's easier to show them an entire completed room versus one thing at a time or they critique it to death. A few problems today, but nothing that can't be fixed. I'm SO excited to see my bed tonight.

The evening is just stunning here. Birds chirping and cool air/warm sun. I love when it stays lighter later. People bbq-ing and walking dogs and sitting on their patios and doing yard work. Spring does wonders for the spirit.

I plan to do an MRT blood test for food sensitivities in a couple weeks. But now, it's eat anything and everything so my body will show any reactions. I am surprised that I enjoy eating again - and have more energy. But more bellyaches - and I'm getting fat LOL! Those cookies are a god send for a stressed mama some days though. I am eager to make progress on understanding my worst offending foods.

Anyway, hope everyone has a good night. I never want to be in the throws of addiction again.
                        Last edited by KENSHO; May 4, 2018, 08:23 PM.
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

good Saturday, Nesters,
                          Finally had time to sit down with a coffee and read back. Way too busy this week driving kids around and putting down the discipline. Son is grounded for the weekend due to poor decisions re: turning in school assignments. that actually makes my life easier. And he has to work from 2:30-8:30...I call that day care for teens...as I know where he is and don't have to worry about him. Daughter had her first real date with a guy last night. very nice guy and even though he was nervous to meet us "parents".

it was usually when I was overwhelmed with too much to do that triggered my drinking. I have to be vigilant about that. I need to have my other go to drinks at the ready. green tea, tonic water. I did have an almost f it moment this week, but remembered the price I would have to pay for it.

Mr G, your trip sounds so exciting. South America is awesome. Glad you are all inoculated because you don't want to ruin your trip.

omg...daughter just ruined my train of thought, telling me that the date "kissed her way before she thought he would". I do like having open communication with her, but some things are hard to hear.

I hope everyone is doing well. I have to make more coffee and deal with the thoughts and emotions in my head. No worries, drinking is NOT on the table today.
                          BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Staining the deck today. Ugh. Feeling tired. But headed to coffee shop to start the day - glad for that. I will practice self care today!

Happy Weekend everyone!
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Belle, yikes! That makes my head hurt, too. I was agreeing with you in my mind as I read about getting overwhelmed. I thought, YES, that was a huge trigger....then I thought, anger was one, too. Then being happy and wanting to celebrate...then wanting to escape. As I think back, LIFE was a dang trigger and everything was an excuse to fuel my addiction. What a trap, I knew what I NEEDED to do to get out, but kept finding excuses not to do the work. That’s no way to live....literally. In fact, it’s a good way to die. We should be so proud that we are taking the steps to help ourselves.

Ive had two customers call me today with problems. Working from home is the best AND the worst....there is never any down time.

G man. Do we need to go over wiley women and the power of saying NO? Do we need to have The Talk? I dont want any checkered women taking advantage of our fair-haired, leaping gnome! Like a pork chop thrown in to a pack of dogs! Im sure you can take care of yourself, you are such a sweetie.

A nice relaxing day, just what the doctor ordered. Byrdie
                              Last edited by Byrdlady; May 6, 2018, 08:49 AM. Reason: kant spel
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Glad to report the temperature is back to springtime levels & not the hell we lived with this week, ha ha! I really do not like excessive heat, not ever

Belle, I had to LOL reading about your daughter's communication with you - I went thru the same thing with mine. Curls your hair sometimes, I get that

Byrdie, why do you take calls on the weekend? I would not do that, but that's just me. I used to be but am no longer a people pleaser
                                Take some time for you this weekend!!!

Hello to all & wishing a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X