Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hello again Nesters!
    A big THANKYOU to Pavati, Wagmore, NoSugar, Guitarista, Ava, Byrdie, Lavande, Kensho and everyone for your kind wishes and words of wisdom :thanks:

What struck me when I first found MWO was the common ground and understanding people here share. What a relief it was to find it! And MWO continues to be a place one can visit and know that people here "get it." To be acknowledged and understood is priceless.

It's true, if my DH doesn't appreciate what a big deal a major milestone is, it's because I minimised my alcoholism from the start. I can't expect him to "get it" - he doesn't have a problem with al like we do.

I hope that all existing MWO members continue to draw strength from this amazing community in those challenging times we all face at various points in our lives. Staying the course is the best gift we can give ourselves and others :love:

Keeping the faith,
    Steady
    Last edited by STEADFAST; May 5, 2018, 09:25 PM.
    AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Hi. Checking in after 152 days. It's nice how much I save on our dinner out totals - friends and family spent at least $50 on drinks last night. I had an endless glass of soda water with lime for about $2.50. On the other hand, they spend quite a lot for their buzz.

Trying to get a few things done today. I have my normal list of groceries and laundry - but trying to get a workout in and spend some quality time with the kids. I get antsy on Sundays because I've had some sleep and my ambition usually outweighs my actual ability. So trying to tame the "possibilities" for the day.

Nice weather though.

Belle - I dread those conversations. But I was the same way as a teenager. I knew my own boundaries at that age, and I guess we have to trust our kids to some extent to do the same? You all have me dreading these times ahead for me. She's 8 now though, so I have at least a few years.

Happy Sunday. It is becoming almost known that I just don't drink. My husband forgot last night and said, "here, taste this!" Because we were at a restaurant with different, new flavors. It flew out of my mouth, "No, I can't, I don't want it." He immediately said, "Oh ya", and then passed it to the next person. No big deal. I found it interesting that my first words were "I can't".

Anyway, I hope everyone has had a good weekend.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Morning nesters

Well a kind of busy weekend. My daughter visited with her cat who i am babysitting, at least said cat has been to mine before so doesnt have to stay inside. i can only do my best. My fur girl has a toenail that is pointing sideways so off to the vets again this afternoon. she seems to be one step forward and two back atm but we are all just seeing how it goes. (no pun intended)

My daughter did my hair on the weekend and she was having a beer and me a cup of tea when for some reason i picked up her beer to have a drink. god i near threw the thing away. funny how our subconscious works even after all this time. Beer, tea, mmmmm. i didnt even drink beer. I had a minute thought of i could have a swig and all would be good. Just goes to show that nearly 4 1/2 years and that al pull is still there, sitting and waiting. I have not had one of those moments in such a long time but it was a gentle reminder to focus on my priorities 100% and thats not drinking and to be aware.

Like you kensho "i dont want it". A motto we need to live by at all times. We say "i dont want it" if we are offered food also so the same with al.

My son has a friend visiting and i have known her since she was a baby. they managed to party a lot on the weekend and of course she wanted a drunk chat. i just said to her that i dont do drunk chats anymore as i dont like drunks and went to bed. No tolerance, end of story.

Mothers day this weekend so going to visit my mum. this will be the SO's 2nd day without his mum so it will be a sad day for him.

How many sleeps now G before the big plane ride?

Where are you LC?

take care x
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hola nesters.

No drunk chats Ava. hardcore lol. I'm off tomorrow night! Gotta get some comfy sandals and casual wear shorts today. Get a small hole in my fave jeans patched up before tomorrow i hope, maybe a shirt or 2. Some presents for my friends o/s.

All good here on day 250! have a great week out there y'all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi All - Pic Perfect day here. Didn't get any chores done but had a blast in my garden. No music No phone...just time spent with myself in the yard and/or on the deck. Church was nice. Gives me a fresh start to my week. Off to do some reading. Be Well and Take Care

Rose

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Nice day here for the most part, some afternoon quickie thunderstorms.

I'm glad to hear kensho & Ava that you are at the point of 'not wanting AL', me too! I just couldn't even think up a reason why I would or should either. That's FREEDOM

G, Congrats on your 250, yay!
              Wishing you a safe 7 fun trip - get some pics for us!

Hello to Steady, Rose, Byrdie & everyone.
              Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Unhung Monday morning Nesters,

I went missing in action last week just because of an incredibly busy work/kid week and then a long weekend out at a friend's new house in the country. It was so quiet and peaceful and it was possible to hear the songs of so many birds, run around the lake, talk for hours on end.. the house is a big fixer-upper so it was fun to do work I wouldn't normally..
                I have this morning free so it was nice to read back and catch up with all of you!
                G-man.. you must be either at the airport or up in the sky by now! Wishing you safe and exciting travels and very well done on 250 days..
                NS, I'm happy to hear you're feeling better.. that cough has been a killer this year here, hanging on for weeks it seems. I'm still working on letting go of those thoughts that don't do me well.. A work in progress.. Progress being the important word here. It helps me a lot to get into movement if I get stuck in my mind, whether that means going to the gym, painting, washing the dishes, calling a friend, going outside.. briefly distracting myself so that I can break the hold/obsessiveness that still seems to take over my brain at times.
                Kensho, Well done on 152 days!:happy2: and yes, drinking saves me tons of money...
                Tribalrose, being in the garden is something that makes me very happy, too.. sounds like you had a lovely day.
                Belle, I hear you...:love:

The sun is shining here and I took some time to sit out on the balcony with my sun hat, plant some dill and write in my journal about the things that make me happy. The friend I was with over the weekend asked me what dreams I still have, what goals, what do I still want to do? Firstly, I couldn't really think of anything concrete.. Secondly, it kindof stressed me out. I felt like I should want more or something different.. and actually, I'm pretty ok most of the time with where I am. I would like to be happy within myself with who and where I am even more.. not to question myself or talk down to myself, to be even more honest, to be even more present in my daily life.. that is what I'm "working on", my goal. I don't know. The things I equate with happiness, that fulfill me the most, that make me feel truly joyful are simple indeed..

Big shout out and hugs to Ava, Pav, Lav, Byrdie, Wags, Steady (Congrats on 5 years!) and everyone stopping by the Nest.. Doing what we need to do to live a life we don't want to escape from! xx

Comment

G - safe travels, buen viaje, and all that - can't wait to hear how things are going (or perhaps went) in Chile & Brazil!

Belle - good job mama - teens are hard sometimes, and it sounds like you're handling it all quite well.

Kensho - I think your work schedule/load and mine are on the same part of the rollercoaster right now. So busy, in a good way - could never have handled this while drinking. How did the recent unveil go?

Pav - that's a great way to think about dreams - like journal prompts that give us things to consider, but not real in and of themselves. I think that's about what I did, and I'm gonna borrow your framing of that for future use.

Waves and hellos to Lav, Byrdie, Ava, LC, NS, Steady, and everyone else stopping by today. Here's to the start of another great week!
                  Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All--

Belle - that post cracked me up. My teens are sometimes TOO honest and open with me, too. Sometimes I think "la la la, just keep that tidbit to yourself."

Mr. G - Copacabana! I love your description of it. Enjoy!

Good to see you, LC. I think that one gift of age is the ability to be ok with where you are. At least that's what I've attributed it to.

I've had a big chunk of my staff call in sick or out for today. Ack! That means I'll be covering for them and not getting to the work that I have to do! Ah well. I am off on a conference for two days and will have some alone time then to follow up.

Had a great weekend visiting with an old friend, hiking, and eating too much. No booze, no problem!

Pav

Comment

Looks like a repeat of yesterday here. Nice Weather, Clear head, and just plain Feel Good.

Rose

Comment

I am going to finally get serious about quitting. I have long been able to convince myself that I am not an alcoholic because I have never been the guy waking up and drinking or drinking at work, but I abuse no doubt about it. I just wait around until 3-5pm and starting shooting vodka and drinking beer.

My habits have caught up to me and now they show on my face in the form of swollen capillaries and pores.

I usually have a pint of vodka plus a mini or 2, and 2-3 beers a day.

I am not looking forward to it but I look terrible and I know people can tell I am a lush just by my appearance. I still have three beers in my fridge that I am sure I will have tonight as I taper off. I know cold turkey can potentially cause seizures and other health risks. I will just have as little wine as I can make myself have the rest of this week to taper down, and I don't expect quitting to be comfortable but it's just my time.

I found this forum searching "cure for gin blossoms" and even thought there is not much info or hope for that, I have found some encouraging posts on this site already.

Here's hoping, I don't even enjoy drinking anymore I just can't imagine not doing it, I get SO BORED.

Comment

Morning nesters

Welcome Rock to MWO. My witching hour to drink was 5.15pm everyday. Every morning i swore i would not drink that day and by 3pm i was planning which bottleshop to stop at to get my two bottles of wine. it was a never ending cycle that thankfully i ended in 2013. Be gentle with yourself and eat a lot and come on here a lot, we cant do this by ourselves but on MWO we all understand what you are going through. Believe us when we all tell you that there are now not enough hours in the day to do what we do sober. i was the same and thought what will i ever do but the only thing we were used to doing was drinking so we needed to look at other options.

G, happy and safe travels for you. I will miss your posts each and every day, please make sure you update us on your travels. the world is your oyster so my nan used to say.

Took my fur baby to the vets AGAIN and the vet removed her toenail that was sticking out sideways and she was so happy after that. i just think she likes going to the vets. The SO's aunt is back in the hospital again, end of life care which is sad. she has congestive heart failure and cant breathe very well. At least she is being cared for and i can pop in and see her, she is very tired now.

Well i had better go and do some more work, the weather is cooling down and in no time i will be in gloves, scarves and overcoats. i did finish my scarf so im happy about that.

take care xx
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Originally posted by R0CK1TMAN1 View Post
                            I am going to finally get serious about quitting.
                            You're in the right place Rock, lots of support here
                            Go as far as you can see.
                            When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Good morning from over here!

Will def post if technology and time allows it Ava.

Bonsoir My way!

Thanks all for the 250 day congrats. Am taking some antabuse with me as a back up. I couldn't find script for customs, but packet is clearly labelled with drug name so shouldn't be queried. I'm off today. Flight in 12 hours! Ole!!

Welcome Rockitman. You've found a great joint. Please keep us posted on how you are going friend. When we drink like we do, we are in prison. And there is constant pain. This is no way to live, and we dont have to live this way. The amazing thing is, we usually start to feel much better within a few days/week or so of ditching the poison. Boozing for me was short term relief, always followed by long term emotional pain. I finally had enough and made a plan to get myself through that first day/days. Check out our toolbox for some snazzy and useful ideas.

Last edited by Guitarista; May 7, 2018, 04:52 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Lavande View Post
                                some afternoon quickie thunderstorms.
                                afternoon quickie... Oh, thunderstorms ��
                                Go as far as you can see.
                                When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Working...
                                X